BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is The 2014 Nav Update Worth Doing?

156K views 2K replies 517 participants last post by  shawnsheridan 
#1 · (Edited)
I am pretty well satisfied with the Nav system in my 2012 535xi. Luckily I have had only minor issues, and none of the horror stories others have seen.

I received an email offer from TomTom for a $245 update to my nav system. I hate to change something that's working pretty well for an unknown new outcome. And, while $245 is not cheap, I would do it if I thought the results would be worth it.

I know there is another current thread with many well-justified complaints about the nav system, but there aren't many comments one way or another about whether the update is worth while.

I would appreciate learning if those of you who have done the 2013 update have found the improvements worth while.

#414 ·
Bikie, I didn't have any issues following the procedure with my Mac using unrarx. I double clicked the .img to mount the file and dragged the necessary files to my FAT32 formatted USB.

Thanks Shawn for the quick responses.

#416 ·
Bikie, I didn't have any issues following the procedure with my Mac using unrarx. I double clicked the .img to mount the file and dragged the necessary files to my FAT32 formatted USB.

Thanks Shawn for the quick responses.
:thumbup:

#420 ·
I have always had a slight delay with maps starting.

#422 ·
Am I doing something wrong it is taking hours to download the
rar files?
I have a fast cable connection.

#428 ·
So once I have it on the USB drive, I just have to put it in the center USB port or glovebox USB port? And it will just recognize it and prompt to update?

#430 ·
The Glovebox USB Port, and 20 seconds later iDrive should prompt you to update your Maps.

#438 ·
#445 · (Edited)
Shawn, many thanks!! Successfully installed the update using my Mac as follows:
1. Created a desktop folder downloaded Rar files to the folder took several hours.
2. Opened the Rar files with MacPAR Deluxe (free) .
3. Double click the result of 2 above to mount the disk image.
4. Mount your 32 GB zip drive.
5. Drag the pkgdb folder and config.nfm file from the disk image into the 32 GB zip drive .
6. Insert the 32 GB zip drive into the glove compartment usb port et voila! 2013 Nav update!

#446 ·
Shawn, many thanks!! Successfully installed the update using my Mac as follows:
1. Created a desktop folder downloaded Rar files to the folder took several hours.
2. Opened the Rar files with MacPAR Deluxe (free) again several hours.
3. Double click the result of 2 above to mount the disk image.
4. Mount your 32 GB zip drive.
5. Drag the pkgdb folder and config.nfm file into the 32 GB zip drive .
6. Insert the 32 GB zip drive into the glove compartment usb port et voila! 2013 Nav update!
:thumbup:

#447 ·
Since I did a PCD, they left the FSC code paper in my manuals packet. However, I've entered the code about four times now, and each time it says it's an incorrect code. I've verified that the VIN listed on the paper is the same as the VIN of my car. Anyone experience a bad FSC code? Just to make sure I have the right paper, it says something like (I don't have it in front of me) Response code (Freishincoden <- not the actual word, just something very German).

#448 ·
That code is probably for your current map year. You need a new one for 2013 Maps, and every time you update to a new version.

#449 ·
Shawn
Could you PM me the info also - thanks!!

#451 ·
The instructions themselves are repeatedly stated throughout this Thread. The PM's are for file links that are not allowed per forum rules (and for good reason) to be posted.

#471 ·
Shawn can you please send me the link. I have a 2011 535 XI built in 9/2010.

Thanks for everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.