BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Competition Package Questions

13K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  slalom 
#1 ·
I'm considering ordering the Competition Package when it's time to order my 2012. Are there any downsides to this decision? I don't intend to track the car and had heard the 19" tires, while looking great, made for a much stiffer ride. Comments? Thanks.:)

#2 ·
The 19" rims work very well on the standard M3 with EDC, don't know why they'd be a problem with them on the competition package. THe 19's with EDC gives a much better ride than a 335i with 19" and sport package, of course the comp package also drops the car a bit more which may affect things (although I doubt it).

Rather than looking for a downside to the comp package I'd wonder more about whether there's really an upside to it for the road. Besides different wheels what do you expect to gain for the extra cost if you're not tracking the car?

#3 · (Edited)
The wheels in the comp pkg are cast while the optional 19" wheels w/o the comp pkg are forged. So the comp pkg wheels do add some weight, but probably only a couple lbs. per wheel. But for mostly street use, unless you prefer the look of the comp pkg wheels, then just get the optional 19" wheels w/o the comp pkg. The lower ride height of the comp pkg (to look at) isn't really noticeable and it will bottom out the front bumper sooner than the non comp cars.

#4 ·
You also get more aggressive mapping along with the slight drop and wheels. If you are planning to change the suspension I would say proceed without it. otherwise, order the option and don't look back. Why regret the decision later..........Phil

#5 · (Edited)
My car has a great ride on the optional 19s and unless you prefer the wheels included in the comp. pkg. I would recommend to pass on it if you are buying due to the extra complexity and potential problems and more expensive spare parts down the line. If you are going to lease it's of course nothing to worry about. Also know that the standard suspension is close to perfection for most driving, an almost magical mix of compliancy and sport.

#12 ·
I dont plan on dropping my car or putting rims on it. I preferred the ZCP rims over the stocks or 220s. 10mm is nothing in a drop but its a smidgen lower than a regular M3. EDC is great. Between the wheel style and the EDC it was worth it for me. May not be for everyone.

Note: 359 rims are a MAJOR pain in the @ss to clean. You have to clean behind the spokes as the spoke are protruding out from the rims edge. Make sure you wax your rims when you first get them so clean up isn't all that big of a deal.
I share in bkmk5's perspective and I love M Dynamic Mode. I'm scared to death to turn the stability control completely off.

#7 ·
I dont plan on dropping my car or putting rims on it. I preferred the ZCP rims over the stocks or 220s. 10mm is nothing in a drop but its a smidgen lower than a regular M3. EDC is great. Between the wheel style and the EDC it was worth it for me. May not be for everyone.

Note: 359 rims are a MAJOR pain in the @ss to clean. You have to clean behind the spokes as the spoke are protruding out from the rims edge. Make sure you wax your rims when you first get them so clean up isn't all that big of a deal.

#10 ·
Ive been using all Chemical Guys waxes/sealants on my M.

#11 ·
I recently went through the ordering process and this advice is worth what it costs you.

Make sure you order what you want and what you like. If you are purchasing the car and plan to keep it long term be very selective.

I personally ordered the EDC but skipped the competition package even though the wheels look great.

I am good with the 18's for several reasons.
1. BMW engineered the M3 with the 18's(19's are an Option)
2. Ride quality is better overall.
3. Tire life is longer.

The competition 19's are very nice and they look great. Weigh out what is important to you.

I loaded my sedan but skipped the sunshades. Wish I didn't.
No sunroof (could not do it)

Once again be selective and get what you want. At the end of the day you hold the keys. Have no regrets at pick up.

#13 ·
I don't have ZHP but I did buy the wheels since I really like them. My only complaint of the comp wheels is that they tend to pick up rock chips which show more than the non-comp 19" wheels which are polished spokes. I have at least 3 fairly big (I'm OCD) rock chips in each wheel that bug me every time I clean the wheels. With the comp package, the car drops 10mm which is not much of a drop, but any drop will give you more front end scrapes. As for the EDC, if you don't track your car, you'd never feel the difference between the comp and the non-comp EDC settings. They are really very minor. I've driven a comp car and I couldn't tell any difference in that car with my car. On the track it would probably be different. If you bought the wheels separately, like I did, the cost is about $2K, so the comp package is a good deal for $2500. If I had the opportunity to get the comp package in 2009, I probably would have bought it. Of course, I usually buy the cars loaded, like my '09 which has every option. After 3 years, I've never used the heated seats nor the headlight washers...I wonder if they work?...he he. I have used the rear sunshade, which I really like.

#14 ·
After 3 years, I've never used the heated seats nor the headlight washers...I wonder if they work?...he he. I have used the rear sunshade, which I really like.
You ever clean your windshield with your lights on? Early morning, Dusk, night time, never have to clean your windshield; that's weird.

#15 ·
Just got my comp pack equipped car Monday. I had them wax the rims, but will surely need to wax often.

This car is such a blast. While I loved my IS-F, the customizable M button is terrific. I do wish the 6th shift pattern in DTC man mode was available without fully disabling dtc!?

#16 ·
I could tell a difference in the ride quality going from the standard M3 to the Comp. Pkg, so perhaps you need to determine which ride you like better- maybe it's just me . Both sets of wheels look great so I think it's just a style preference. Also, determine if you really want a sunroof, which you cannot get with the comp pkg. I think the CF roof is more cool with the lighter paint colors, such as alpine white...great contrast. Mine is Jerez black, so the CF isn't as noticable, still great though.

#36 ·
GORGEOUS, my same car it looks like. What tint % did you go with?

BTW, I was thinking the comp package gave a wider wheel than the non-comp 19s, but it looks like the tread size is the same, is the wheel width also the exact same? Shux, I was hoping these wheels were wider for better traction. :(

#28 ·
All this talk about weight is pointless unless you are planning to track the car. And if that's the case I would start with the driver.......a few HPDE's and less junk food. This will give you the skills you need and you have less weight in the car :D..................Phil

#29 ·
Even if you ARE going to track the car - SO WHAT if it had an extra 25lbs, even at the top? What difference will that make - 1/10th of a second per lap, from a PRO?

As you said, Ryder - tighten the nut behind the wheel first. Skip the guac and sour cream on the Chipotle lunch. Stop going biggie on the spicy chicken combo ...

:)

#32 ·
Back seat delete will give you about 120lbs......drop the power seats, some of the electronics, smaller battery, pull the front passenger seat and delete the A/C.........now you have a home made CSL........Phil

#34 ·
I would go with the comp package because it is on 2500 dollars and the wheels alone will run you around 1250 dollars. You get the performance mapping, 3 different suspension settings, and the wheels for 2500 dollars is a great deal to me because you have the options there if you ever need them but hard to upgrade too.

#38 · (Edited)
Isn't the purpose of a "Competition Pack" to use on the track? And if you use it on the street, it's not that good a package - you should get the street package? Perhaps BMW needs a R/T package like Dodge - good for both Road and Track (I couldn't recall anything else that is promoted as being a road/track compromise).

Aside from the wheels, what is the effect of lowerin?. Haven't you just taken out the first 0.4" of suspension used to absorb bumps, and are relying on the remaining travel to do more work? You don't need that 0.4" on a smooth track, but how about on regular roads? It seems that all BMW did (from www.realoem.com) was change the struts - which in itself doesn't change the suspension geometry, correct? Perhaps I missed a spring change as well? If that 0.4" was unnecessary for the street, why did BMW design it that way in the first place? I would appreciate if someone could shed more knowledge can share.

#40 ·
My take is that comp pkg is best suited to folks who, like me, are unlikely to modify their car, but who would like to track it a few times/year.

I like the slightly lowered stance, wider, nicer looking rims and the M dynamic mode so that I don't have to disable the electronic nanny completely for spirited track driving.

The manual recommends putting the suspension in sport mode when approaching driveways where clearance might be an issue, so it is firmer.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Bimmer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.