BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2007-2010 X3 Automatic Transmission Problem Master Thread!

792K views 2K replies 282 participants last post by  hoppydidit 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm making this a sticky and merging all new AT threads from the main page into this one (I can not move older threads into this one because it will insert the previous messages above/before this post).

Thanks to AzNMpower32 for this summary:

The problem: A portion of 2007-08 X3s built between 9/2006 and 11/2007 my have possible faulty transmission software programming. This affects X3s equipped with the 6-speed automatic gearbox. The gearbox may fail to respond to throttle inputs, fail to engage a lower gear, or downshift very roughly in normal Drive mode. The problem is not exhibited in manual mode. Cold temperatures may or may not make the shifting quality worse.

The BMW fix There is a software update, this is the latest release as of 10/07

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B24 08 07 dated May 2007.

SUBJECT
GM6 - Various Transmission and Driveability Complaints MODEL
E83 (X3) with 6L45R (GM6) automatic transmission produced from 8/2006 up to 10/2007

SITUATION
The customer may complain of transmission shift quality or driveability issues, as described in the situations below:

1. There is a delay in throttle response through the 1-2 upshift when accelerating from a stop.
2. There is a lack of power or hesitation when reapplying throttle, during either a 4-3 or 3-2 tip-in downshift. This may occur after slowing with a closed throttle.
3. Harsh downshifts when slowing on a roadway with a rising gradient (EGS is in a hill program).

CAUSES
EGS software calibration DME software calibration

CORRECTION
In the event of a customer complaint, reprogram the EGS using only Progman V27.02.00 or higher. The latest X3 EGS software may be identified as: 0489RZ0RS450 R0FN10 using the following diagnosis path:

Control-module functions / EGS transmission control Diagnosis requests / Status, data reference

It is important that the DME is also at the latest software level. Refer to SI B12 17 07 for more information concerning the DME software identification and improvements.

DO NOT perform the transmission adaptation under Service Functions, as prompted on the Progman screen. This test module is not functional and will be removed in a future DIS DVD release.

Always refer to SI B 24 11 07 for more information regarding GM6 transmission terminology, adaptation functionality, and adaptation procedures. Important notes:

* The transmission must be in the "Park" position, otherwise the programming may abort with the following error:

EGS ***8211;Diagnostic trouble 2089 (COAPI) - Programming mode changeover faulty

* Only use an approved BMW battery charger set to PS (Power Supply) mode and properly configured for the applicable battery AH rating.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Please refer to the latest KSD for all applicable labor operations and allowances. If the appropriate labor operation is not contained in KSD, then a work time labor operation should be used.

Defect Code 24 00 38 61 00
Please post all future complaints and/or attempted resolutions on this thread! Thank you.

#46 · (Edited)
Details

I'm back. Now they won't do anything else with the car nor give me a loaner. They are forcing me into going to an attorney. I don't understand why when they know all about this problem. Can anyone explain? I'm a true BMW driver (on number 5). I am so hurt!:cry:
You're saying that they wont take you car in for service? Please be more details. How many times has this been in for service, has it only been in for the tranny problem, The whole picture.

As much as I am not a fan of BMWNA they will call the dealer on your behalf.

Your vague comments can't help us help you. Be specific please.

With regards to the production location changes.

Makes me wonder why?

And how the vehicles will behave with different facilites.

#47 ·
If they are refusing you warranty service... i think that is a whole new issue.

#48 · (Edited)
I get the feeling we are all being "Played". No one is that naive, or at least I hope they aren't.

#49 · (Edited)
from the beginning.

4 days from purchase november 06 I took the car back. This may be lengthy. The car jumped constantly. As a former race car driver at Riverside, I know cars. I know when something isn't right. Details:
1.excellerate out of curve or off of a red light or trying to get into the flow of traffic on the freeway on ramp...... Red line! then the tranismission Grabs and jerks enveryone in the car.
2.Excellerate from stop light, someone stops in front of you. Before you can decellerate and get your foot to the brake, the car finally responds and lurches forward, almost hitting the car infront of you.
3.Going up to the mountains (Big Bear) coming out of the curve, excelerate, the car reves up past the red line and stays there! It never caught, as if soneone put the car in neutral causing the 10 cars behind me to swerve to avoid hitting me.
I have been in 6 close calls
Love my car. Hate having a problem. Any questions and/or suggestions appreciated. Consulted an attorney reluctently today. Says have "very strong case". I really don't want a case. I want my BMW!

#51 ·
El-sea,

one of the most aggravating things about this whole situation is the dealer blames BMWNA and BMWNA says it is the dealers repsonsibility.

Is this vehicle an 07? You mentioned 06 and they are different transmissions. in other words is the notorious 6 speed AT?

If they are refusing you warranty service----- report it to the Attorney Generals Office for Consumer Fraud.

I know for a fact that the division in CA doesnt screw around.

On another note I absolutely agree that this is bordering on class action lawsuit. Unfortunately, it takes someone being injured to make something of this magnitude to move forward.

I am working with an attorney atm as well as the AG's office. I can say nothing more than that at this time.

IMO this is not a BMW so it needs to earn its stripes, the only way you are going to get a BMW is to follow the steps recommended.

Good Luck and get an attorney!

#54 ·
El-sea,

one of the most aggravating things about this whole situation is the dealer blames BMWNA and BMWNA says it is the dealers repsonsibility.

Is this vehicle an 07? You mentioned 06 and they are different transmissions. in other words is the notorious 6 speed AT?

If they are refusing you warranty service----- report it to the Attorney Generals Office for Consumer Fraud.

I know for a fact that the division in CA doesnt screw around.

On another note I absolutely agree that this is bordering on class action lawsuit. Unfortunately, it takes someone being injured to make something of this magnitude to move forward.

I am working with an attorney atm as well as the AG's office. I can say nothing more than that at this time.

IMO this is not a BMW so it needs to earn its stripes, the only way you are going to get a BMW is to follow the steps recommended.

Good Luck and get an attorney!
Thank you for all of your help. I did everything BMW asked me to do. Once again they say there is nothing wrong with my car basically telling me I'm coocoo. After an entire year of this they forced me to get an attorney yesterday. Found a LA one who says he's seen many of these. And that I have a very strong case. BMW unlike Audi and GM has been settling out of court. Yes mine is an 07. She's a real beauty and handles so well for an suv. If only the transmission was a real bmw like the rest of her!
I will report to the AG because yes, they refused to fix the problem because they can't duplicate it. I told them to drive it up the mountain in freezing temps (that's when it went past redline and never went into gear at all!) They couldn't be bothered. All they had to do was look at this sticky thread to "know" there is a problem and I am not coocoo. What car do I buy when BMW pays me off? Will they fix this problem for 2009 x3's? Does anyone know.

#90 ·
test with SA

For those of you with the tranny problems this is one of the things I was wondering about. Is there a section of road near your dealership where you can consistently demonstrate the problem to the SA or mechanic? If you can/have, do they still insist it's normal?
My problems seem a bit more severe than just uphill right or left. Mine lunges forward after taking my foot off of the trodle and before I can get to the brake. Not to mention the up hill right in cold temps when it went completely into nuetral on its own, the constant red line and grab a gear and jerk everyone in the car. And no ... no hills near the dealerships here. But I might just try finding a hill and seeing if it happens constantly then find a 4the dealr to take it to!

#103 ·
But I might just try finding a hill and seeing if it happens constantly then find a 4the dealr to take it to!
In my experience, most SA's/mechanics sincerely try to help you but they're only human. My approach is to always help them help me by narrowing down the specific parameters/symptoms of the problem as much as possible and to make sure they're consistent and repeatable during a test drive/demonstration. If you can easily prove your complaint then it's easier for them to help. Once the SA/mechanic agrees with you that something's not right, then it becomes their obligation to fix it even if a fix isn't immediately available. I'll also point out for those of you who weren't aware, BMWNA must authorize all part replacements in advance unless it's obvious that it's bad, i.e. leaking, physically broken. In the case of less obvious defects, the burden to prove a problem sits more heavily on the customers' shoulders.

el-sea, it would seem that you should have little trouble convincing the SA of the throttle problem at least.

#53 ·
That explains why the window sticker on the 325i (SA) notes a German-sourced transmission, whilst the 328i stickers all say France. I wonder if they drive any different. Ok, back on topic.

#55 ·
Don't Forget

Please make sure to post to the NHTSA as they are the governmental organization that can push BMW to make a recall on this problem.

The more organizations this is reported to, the harder it will be for BMWNA to sweep this under the carpet.

This seems to be very uncommon I might add with most BMW's and specifically targeted to the GM6 transmission built in France.

There is a lot of finger pointing between dealerships and BMWNA. And no one will own up to the problem.

The good dealers are smart and get out of the problem as fast as possible.

#70 ·
Nhtsa

Please make sure to post to the NHTSA as they are the governmental organization that can push BMW to make a recall on this problem.

The more organizations this is reported to, the harder it will be for BMWNA to sweep this under the carpet.

This seems to be very uncommon I might add with most BMW's and specifically targeted to the GM6 transmission built in France.

There is a lot of finger pointing between dealerships and BMWNA. And no one will own up to the problem.

The good dealers are smart and get out of the problem as fast as possible.
I Reported to NHATSA This morning.

#56 ·
For those of you who feel your Manual mode works quite well, can you try something for me? Start off in M1 by applying just enough gas pedal to reach around 1400 to 1600 rpms, and maintain those rpms in M1 for as long as the car will do so. Without applying any additional gas pedal, will your X3 then accelerate to around 3000 to 3500 rmps in M1? Mine does this after about 2 seconds at the 1400 rpm range. Just curious. Thanks!

#59 ·
Wait, Please Wait

That's why my SA has asked, after he and the BMWUSA regional service representative drove my X3 and confirmed that it has the X3AT disease. He said that BMW is devoting serious engineering effort to fixing this, and asked me to give them 4-5 weeks, which equates to mid-March. After that, I am told, if there is no fix, the dealer will refund (which is what I asked for).

I'm willing to hope for the best: if it doesn't work out my VP for blame is going to insist on a L*x*s RX (interesting model name, eh?).

#60 ·
Cya

That's why my SA has asked, after he and the BMWUSA regional service representative drove my X3 and confirmed that it has the X3AT disease. He said that BMW is devoting serious engineering effort to fixing this, and asked me to give them 4-5 weeks, which equates to mid-March. After that, I am told, if there is no fix, the dealer will refund (which is what I asked for).

I'm willing to hope for the best: if it doesn't work out my VP for blame is going to insist on a L*x*s RX (interesting model name, eh?).
Arcane I reported this back in 05/07 and still dealing with it. Many people have been stalled just as long.
Personally I wouldnt do it. They have tried six times (4 is the limit for Lemon Law in my state), and keep saying we are committed to getting it right. They had the "Master Mechanic" from BMWNA tell me that it took him three times to get the SIB they currently have to stick. Preety bad when the head guy from BMWNA can't get it right. In the meantime I am paying full shot monthly payments for a vehicle that is 50% of what it should be.

To cover yourself please send a certified letter to BMWNA stating exactly what your SA said and what the dealer has promised to do. This will lock them down under Lemon Law regulations.

#63 ·
Build Date

11/05/07. There are no viable SIB's to be installed, and they don't want to reinstall anything.

I have been in written contact with BMWUSA, and they say to work with the dealer. I'm willing to trust the dealer SA and the dealer management until mid March. The clock is ticking.

#72 ·
trust

11/05/07. There are no viable SIB's to be installed, and they don't want to reinstall anything.

I have been in written contact with BMWUSA, and they say to work with the dealer. I'm willing to trust the dealer SA and the dealer management until mid March. The clock is ticking.
I trusted for 15 months and 10 near accidents. 3 dealerships, BMWNA and now I have to put my trust in an attorney. bummed on my 5th bimmer

#64 · (Edited)
Bummer Bimmer

Today I test drove the 08 BMW X3.

GOOD:

• Handling
  • Ergonomics
  • Heated Seats
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • Legroom and positioning of pedals
  • Cargo Area
  • Braking
  • Line of Vision

BAD:

• Transmission - exactly as folks have posted. Can't find gears, racing rpms, SD drops gears like a Hammer

The sales man explained that due to the low mileage on the vehicle that its "Adaptive Transmission" would learn my style of driving and that would go away. I drove a new X5as well. It also had low mileage, but did not exhibit the transmission behavior. I asked the salesman if this also had an "Adaptive Transmission" of which he replied, "Yes".
I like everything about the X3, except the transmission. Normally I would have believed the salesman but I am unwilling to take a $42 thousand chance after all I have read. I explained in order for me to fully appreciate the vehicle I would need to drive a manual transmission. I did not mention or make him explain that this seems to be a very common problem among the new X3 BMW's.He is going to try to find one for me to test drive. For a new car to perform that way of any manufacturer, let along BMW is unfathomable. I will not be buying the AT 08 X3. Bummer Bimmer :thumbdwn:

#65 ·
Today I test drove the 08 BMW X3.

GOOD:

• Handling
  • Ergonomics
  • Heated Seats
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • Legroom and positioning of pedals
  • Cargo Area
  • Braking
  • Line of Vision

BAD:

• Transmission - exactly as folks have posted. Can't find gears, racing rpms, SD drops gears like a Hammer

The sales man explained that due to the low mileage on the vehicle that its "Adaptive Transmission" would learn my style of driving and that would go away. I drove a new X5as well. It also had low mileage, but did not exhibit the transmission behavior. I asked the salesman if this also had an "Adaptive Transmission" of which he replied, "Yes".
I like everything about the X3, except the transmission. Normally I would have believed the salesman but I am unwilling to take a $42 thousand chance after all I have read. I explained in order for me to fully appreciate the vehicle I would need to drive a manual transmission. I did not mention or make him explain that this seems to be a very common problem among the new X3 BMW's.He is going to try to find one for me to test drive. For a new car to perform that way of any manufacturer, let along BMW is unfathomable. I will not be buying the AT 08 X3. Bummer Bimmer :thumbdwn:
Find another X3 with the AT. What build date was your tester? Try another one if you can. I don't know about your dealer, but the dealer we bought our BMWs from lets people test drive most of the BMWs on the lot; They usually don't have specific "tester cars" except for new model releases, like when the 335i coupe first came out. (Then again, they let me test drive a brand new 335i coupe from a canceled order, with just 5 miles on the clock!)

To future posters that may be looking at test driving: Please note the build date on the vehicle information sticker, on the driver's door or driver's door frame

#67 ·
Snow-man, you very cogently make the simple point in all of this. While AzMpower32 and others may have X3AT's that truly respond to throttle input, there clearly are those X3's that don't. It's that simple - were not talking about a bad cup of coffee at the local coffee house, we're talking a $42K vehicle made by a company that has a history and reputation, deservedly, for making vehicles that perform, and perform particularly well. None of us with experience with BMW feel anything but pride and appreciation when we see or hear the slogan "ultimate driving experience" and have real experience with that from the bottom of the line on up. But "performance" in large part starts with predictable and expected response to driver input. The X3AT, both '07 and '08 from the owners posting on this BB, has some problems with living up to driver input. The vehicle otherwise is fantastic and other complaints seem trivial to the AT performance. But that fact changes nothing regarding the AT issue, and issue which appears to remain unresolved by BMW.

#69 ·
If the vehicles don't work then they are no longer competive it would seem, and judging by their sales. That may be the case. Do I wish that upon them. Yup..then maybe BWMNA will wise up and take care of things. Who knows at this point though.

Thinking about some other options if BMWNA will smarten up. What is the background on the 335i?

I have had a 528xi (a little gadgety if thats a word) this whole weekend and I love the car. However a 335 with the cold weather package seems to me a one for one in price to my X3.

Does the 335 have the dreaded GM6 tranny?

#73 ·
Does the 335 have the dreaded GM6 tranny?
No, it has the newest ZF and my colleague swears by it. However, IF it's the same tranny as the 535xi gets, then you can still expect a big pregnant pause if you floor it in Drive at around 20mph. I experienced this myself as a passenger in a demo model with ~8000 miles on it. It would appear that any action that forces the engine control and tranny control to have to put their heads together will result in some kind of unwanted delay. For the quickest throttle response it seems Manual or Sport modes will always be best.

#74 ·
El-sea, I live on the Westside, I'm curious what dealers have you been to and what are your reviews of them? I personally go to SMBMW, and though the SA's are very pleasant, I have had many instances where my X5 was not properly fixed and I had to bring it back in for the same repair. Totally unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. Many of the guy's in the shop seem to be incompetent, and unfortunately the SA's don't appear to check their work.

#86 ·
I am off to test drive the vehicle during this coming week and even if I like it, may have to pass for fear of another problem child. :(:dunno:
Interesting approach. So assuming you take the car for a long test drive, really go over it with a fine tooth comb, and like the vehicle and the way the transmission works, you may not buy it because OTHER PEOPLE have issues with their cars?

How bout you use the posts on this board to help you look for potential problems while you are taking the car on a test drive. That way you can MAKE YOUR OWN DECISION. But if you typically let other people make your car buying choices for you, then don't pay any attention to this post.:thumbup:

#91 · (Edited)
And the band played on!

El-sea, your attorney should have told you not to discuss it with any BMWNA agent of any sort at this time. I was told in order for the attorney to do their job correctly it helps avoid the "He said--She said" syndrome. In other words no one can claim that one party or another said something they didn't. (As we are somewhat anonymous on this board)

The people that have the constant optimism with the X3 are the ones that don't have the problem. And using their logic their is a multitude of people that don't know about web sites like this or are afraid to step forward with this problem. So you don't hear about them either.

Now to play devil's advocate I can understand why they feels this way.

When a BMW runs right it's awesome. When it doesn't its dangerous.

I have had a 528xi loaner for the better part of four days now. Even my wife who has not been in my X3 since the last episode commented on how nice it shifted and how smooth the acceleration is. This has made me consider the 335xi as a replacement for the X3 because it has AWD and a different transmission (kinda' throws the, "All AWD's drive this way out the window response" I got from the dealer). It seems to be in the same price point as the X3 so it seems for me to be a logical replacement.

So next time the dealer says all AWD's drive this was, ask them to take a cruise in one of the AWD Xi models that have the different transmission. Then have them try to explain their way out of it again.

I dont know what the common denominator is at this point, but maybe like the old detroit joke, this is a Monday car. We will probably never know since BMWNA is very guarded about the smallest thing, let along this crappy tranny.

Don't buy the hype. If you have one of the bad transmissions it's not going to get better. BMWNA has been given over a year to correct this. Their latest SIB release damaged the DME beyond use.

Just ask for a Trade Assist, and if they say no, just send a letter to BMWNA informing them you will seek Lemon Law actions. This was they have no choice to but deal with it.
If you choose another X3 that is up to you, but at least this way it up to you!:thumbup:

#95 · (Edited)
No Comment

:rofl:
Good luck.
yeah MJS I have the SIB sheet from the Master Mechanic BMWNA sent out to check my car. I spoke to him personally and asked him about the last update, and if they would be releasing a newer one in the near future. His comment was there were "Flaws" in the last update.

How much more factual do you want?

Since BMWNA won't even admit there is a problem I would say that is the most official word around.

More importantly--- Any feedback on X3 vs 335xi?

#98 ·
why so negative

can those of you who do NOT have transmission issue PLEASE tell those of us that do/did WHY you are SO hostile and angry that we talk about it, and to a degree, blame US for the problem?? Be thankful your X3 doesn't have the problem and be sympathetic to those of us who do/did.

why is that so hard for you?

#104 ·
can those of you who do NOT have transmission issue PLEASE tell those of us that do/did WHY you are SO hostile and angry that we talk about it, and to a degree, blame US for the problem?? Be thankful your X3 doesn't have the problem and be sympathetic to those of us who do/did.

I have transmission issues with my X3. I was not hostile, nor angry. Didn't blame anyone.

I was merely straightening the facts. We've heard ONE report of the new update frying a DME and it needing to be sent back to NJ. ONE. For all we know it could have been the mechanic's fault hooking up the gear or not following the instructions. Seriously, no one knows the reason that ONE DME fried, except BMWNA. Stating that the latest SIB release is damaging all DMEs beyond repair is a bending of the truth. People should not get the idea that their car will be damaged if they take it in for software updates.
Didn't know about his personal talks with the regional master mechanic. I'm surprised they told Evl anything with all his threats of lemoning it.

#99 ·
dupe post removed.

#100 ·

#101 · (Edited)
Agreed KJ and others. We have moved the discussions to the AT thread as many have requested (makes sense).

So if you don't have AT issues great, but don't put down those of us that do, and are trying to figure out ways to deal with it.

Move ON

So any success stories with fixing this problem 100%? If so please tell us how.

If not tell us what you are doing to try to solve it (other than work arounds).

#117 · (Edited)
My Fault

Recently I reported that along with the transmission issues in my vehicle it was now leaking water in the passenger area.

To be fair since I have slammed BMW on the transmission I have to be fair and say it was indirectly my fault on the water issue.

It turns out that the installer "Tweeter" that is supposed to be top of the line tore and cut the "Vapor Barrier" in the doors to install the speakers. This allowed water in heavy rain to leak into my vehicle.

The dealer that has always done right by me (Passport) had never seen this before and took several days tracking it down.

Again, in my highly agitated state with the transmission I was ready to blame BMW for the water problem and it is they that fixed it.

Size 11 now being removed from mouth!

#121 ·
Recently I reported that along with the transmission issues in my vehicle it was now leaking water in the passenger area.

To be fair since I have slammed BMW on the transmission I have to be fair and say it was indirectly my fault on the water issue.

It turns out that the installer "Tweeter" that is supposed to be top of the line tore and cut the "Vapor Barrier" in the doors to install the speakers. This allowed water in heavy rain to leak into my vehicle.

The dealer that has always done right by me (Passport) had never seen this before and took several days tracking it down.

Again, in my highly agitated state with the transmission I was ready to blame BMW for the water problem and it is they that fixed it.

Size 11 now being removed from mouth!
Lets be fair now.
You had a specialist scheduled to look at your X3. He determined that you actually did not have the latest software. When you got it back, some asked what you now thought. You said it was too early and you didn't want to comment. A few days later you found the water and it went back. So all of your comments have actually been regarding the old software. Just sayin.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.