BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Throttle Hesitation at take-off in 1st causing stalling

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  whinojosa 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've been recently experiencing a hesitation in the throttle only at take-off (in 1st gear, not that I ever take off in 2nd). I'm very experienced at driving a manual (double clutch at every downshift sort of experience - lets hopefully not get into a discussion of why, I just do it because it feels right!).

Having said that, I'm 100% sure its not my driving style or lack of skill in take-off. I've noticed that once in a while, I'll go to take-off and the revs drop too far and the car stalls. I almost always take-off at 600-800 rpm. I never have to get the revs above 1k in order to go. In these seemingly rare but rising frequency occurrences the revs just drop way too far. I'll usually let it stall and take off as normal. Once in a while, I can give it lots of throttle (2.5k) and it will "catch."

Quick relevant vehicle summary: 2004 325i M54 5sp. DISA replaced 5k ago. Needs fuel filter change - Long overdue. AFE lifetime panel filter installed. I did notice while changing tranny fluid that my giubo is toast - threads showing. I'm wondering if there is too much "play" in the drive-train that is "absorbing" all of the twist while taking-off not allowing the wheels to reach an engine matched speed.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

See less See more
#2 ·
At such low revs, you`re relying on the kinetic energy stored by the flywheel to overcome the car`s entire weight and get it rolling. (Colder weather adds to the resistance) This is asking a lot, unless you`re pointed slightly downhill. Try giving it a little more throttle....

#3 ·
Thanks Bob! I definitely understand and agree that it is asking a lot. It just seems out of the ordinary as it worked just fine at those low ranges in the past. To your point about weather affecting as well, I did start to notice it towards the winter months - but then again, I'm in sunny southern California!

Do you think the bad giubo theory holds any water?

#5 ·
Thanks smolck. I was really hoping it wasn't that or the CCV - but I know your experience with these cars and I'll trust that it may be that.

I am relatively handy... How would you compare difficulty versus OFHG or VCG, or DISA (all of which I've done)? I'll search DIY's for it too and assess for myself, but it would be nice to know your opinion as well.

#6 ·
Thanks smolck. I was really hoping it wasn't that or the CCV - but I know your experience with these cars and I'll trust that it may be that.

I am relatively handy... How would you compare difficulty versus OFHG or VCG, or DISA (all of which I've done)? I'll search DIY's for it too and assess for myself, but it would be nice to know your opinion as well.
You can't compare it to DISA. DISA would be way too easy.\
You can't compare it to VCG either because VANOS DIY includes the VCG DIY. You will do the VCG again with VANOS:)
I think it is pretty much at the same level with OFHG...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.