BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW is recalling 2002-2005 325i, 325xi, 330i and 330xi - 241,000 cars effected!

116K views 182 replies 77 participants last post by  GoForthFast 
#1 ·
BMW recall for E46 tail lights

Effected vehicles
325I - 2002-2005
325XI - 2002-2005
330I - 2002-2005
330XI - 2002-2005

Manufacturer: BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC Mfr's Report Date: AUG 25, 2011
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 11V438000
Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:TURN SIGNAL
Potential Number of Units Affected: 241,000

Summary:
BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2002-2005 325I, 325XI, 330I, AND 330XI VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM SEPTEMBER 1, 2001, THROUGH MARCH 1, 2005. OVER TIME, RESISTANCE IN THE ELECTRICAL CONTACTS MAY CAUSE ONE OR MORE REAR LAMP FUNCTIONS (TAIL LIGHT, BRAKE LIGHT, AND/OR TURN-SIGNAL), WITHIN THE VEHICLE'S BODY PANEL, TO STOP WORKING.

Consequence:
INTERMITTENT LIGHT OPERATION REDUCES THE ABILITY TO WARN OTHER MOTORISTS OF THE DRIVER'S INTENTIONS. THIS COULD CAUSE A VEHICLE CRASH WITHOUT WARNING.

Remedy:
BMW WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPAIR THE VEHICLES FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING OCTOBER 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW CUSTOMER RELATIONS AND SERVICES AT 1-800-525-7417.

NHTSA Details - http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recall...&summary=true&prod_id=936770&PrintVersion=YES

See less See more
#150 ·
Have you looked at the situation ? YOu might be suprised how simple it is and save yourself all the hassle of taking the car in and either waiting hrs for them to get to it and paying $100--$125 hr for some slip-shod quicke work to get you out the door.

Wish I knew how to post a photo here to show you how simple it is.

Just open the trunk..... undo the plastic knob that holds the light bulbs in place and the whole assembly will come right out.

You will see the plug that is attached to the assembly. Squeeze the sides of it as you pull.....it will come right off.

Now look at the female part of the socket..... if it's fried, then you probably want the dealer to install a new one. If not.....and you can scrap the funk off the connector and get to some clean metal.....then you can save yourself $100--$200.

The next step is to have a 15" piece of #14 gauge wire with a femal push-on connector on one end and a round eyelet connector on the other.

Push the female connector onto the metal part of the light bulb assembly, there's two places right there for you to attach it. Just push it on.

On the other end peel back the rug on the wall and get to the wheel arch area where there's a metal stud with a nut on it...... take the nut off and put the other end of the #14 wire with the round connector onto the stud and put the nut back on...... YOUR DONE !!!:banana:

This takes about 2--3 mins ........ I've not heard anything about the right side tail light assembly......but if you are right there you might as well take another 2--3 mins and do it.

Any questions..... don't ask me here because I don't k now how to post or send you the photos showing how simple this really is.

Email me directly at mrc.engr@verizon.net and I can send you the pics directly.

My best........ Mike

#152 ·
Haahahahahah....... :rofl:

While many warranty and "good policy" services are (relatively) free...... we have to remember the dealership is there for one reason and one reason only..... to make money. So...... if they can convince you that you should be paying for something, they will. And let's face it, they know more than we do and unless we are fully up to speed on the exact nature of repairs and services being offered by BMW North America, we are at their mercy......and usually end-up paying for something......one way or the other. :dunno:

This and many other reasons I prefer to establish a long term relationship and patronize my local private BMW shop that stays on-top of what's happening in the BMW auto service world. Many times I've gone to them with a problem and they give me a copy of the BMW recall or service bulletin so I can understand the situation and be intelligent when I take my BMW to the dealership for specific work.......and not get fooled into paying for anything that I shouldn't.:thumbup:

#156 ·
New to Forum - Recall and Bunch of Questions

Hi, just saw this, but I have a 2002 330ci. Do I assume correctly that this body style is not affected? Some other questions, if I may about the "Service Engine Soon" light.

Mechanic went to reset code due to oil change and I was told my mass air sensor needs replacement. Before that, the codes indicated a module controlling heating/cooling needed replacement. And I have replaced the alternator. Since I am new the the BMW brand, are these codes reliable? The car has only 56,000 miles and am skeptical that I may be replacing stuff unnessessarily. Also any opinions on re-manufactured (with original BMW housing) mass air sensor?

Geez, I am asking a lot, so my apologies as a first timer!

#158 ·
Hi, just saw this, but I have a 2002 330ci. Do I assume correctly that this body style is not affected? Some other questions, if I may about the "Service Engine Soon" light.

Mechanic went to reset code due to oil change and I was told my mass air sensor needs replacement. Before that, the codes indicated a module controlling heating/cooling needed replacement. And I have replaced the alternator. Since I am new the the BMW brand, are these codes reliable? The car has only 56,000 miles and am skeptical that I may be replacing stuff unnessessarily. Also any opinions on re-manufactured (with original BMW housing) mass air sensor?

Geez, I am asking a lot, so my apologies as a first timer!
According to this document, it looks like it only affects sedans.
http://test.resource.bmwusa.com/Pdf_5c9aad10-1459-472c-85c1-82254021519c.arox

For your other questions, you're probably better off starting another thread...it might get more attention.

#157 ·
Helicopter Noise Inside My 2003 330 XI

Hello All,

I took my car through the car wash today and about 5-7 minutes after I left, I hear this

loud rumbling in the back of my car sounding like a helicopter. I actually cut my radio off

to make sure and indeed the sound was coming from the trunk area. Can someone tell

me what that could be???

Thanks in advance,

Milkyway1977:)

#162 ·
I'm going to be mr clueless right now and say "how do i know if it does"
I see a red flashing light on my radio. and my rear view has a red globe (light) under it, however i dont think that one is flashing.
jmansour,
If you have not received a recall notice by now, chances are that your car is not covered. If you believe you car is, or should be covered, call your dealer or BMW NA. This thread is about cars covered in the current recall.

#164 ·
jmansour,
If you have not received a recall notice by now, chances are that your car is not covered. If you believe you car is, or should be covered, call your dealer or BMW NA. This thread is about cars covered in the current recall.
I just bought the car maybe 2 months ago... could i just walk into a BMW dealer and asked them to check or is this a longer process?

#170 ·
I just called BMW Canada Customer Service........and after giving them the full VIN of my 2004 325i, was told my car did not fall within the manufacturing date range of the affected product.
I asked "What IS the date range of the affected cars?"
She didn't know........and that was the way she ended the conversation.

I'm assuming MY car and any of the "American" cars (discussed and pictured, above) were all manufactured in the same factory...and I was also of the impression that ALL 2004 325i's supplied to North America were affected.

Am I wrong on both counts? Any follow-up, especially from anyone with a TSB number or experience with performing this fix in Canada, greatly appreciated!

Michael

#171 ·
I'm in Canada (BC) and have a 2004 325i. Never rec'd a recall notice but when I asked to set up an appointment at the dealer's (suspension inspection) I was told there was a recall on my car for the taillights and they would do that while the car was in.

I aleady did the DIY repair but figured they may as well go in there and replace the parts. It's free and the car will be in there anyways.

Whoever you spoke to is blowing smoke!!

#179 · (Edited)
i did the diy repair like 6 months ago ... before i do it took it to the dealer and they wanted to charge me 150 for it !!!! that was even after the recall was announced but i didn't know about it at that time !!! i hate dealerships

#180 ·
Weatherford BMW in Berkeley wanted $1400 to fix it about 3 years ago :rofl:

I took the car to my Volvo mechanic and he did it for free.

#181 ·
Hello, i have a serious situation on my hands that i really need some help with... my 2001 325i bmw caught on fire yesterday as i was driving to work. the fire was in the back right hand corner of my trunk right where the battery is. Why or how it happened is unknown and considering i am only 20 without much cash i only had liability on the vehicle. I am extremely heart broken and refuse to believe a bmw just catches on fire for no reason without any sort of recall or reimbursement... is this recall have anything to do with my vehicle or do u have any much apppreciated advice to give me??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.