BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Auxiliary input adapter?

Z4 Roadster (E85) 
17K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  WestCDA 
#1 ·
I am sure this has been asked a hundred times, but my search skills aren't the greatest and I couldn't find what I was looking for. I just want to add a 3.5mm audio jack to use Pandora on my phone. I don't want to lose or relocate my power plug. I have an iphone connector in the glove box that was there when I purchased the car. I see a wire tucked under the console on the passenger side, so I am assuming someone installed a kit for the iphone. I have seen kits to install a jack in the glove box, which is where I would like to install it, but none list the Z4 as an option that I see. I know these are compatible with other models, I just don't know which ones will work. Bottom line, I am looking for a way to install an auxiliary adapter or adapt to the iphone connector already installed. I am currently using an FM modulator, which functions but leaves a lot of sound quality behind along with a wad of wires. Thanks in advance for the help.

#2 · (Edited)
BTW, this is a 2003 with a business cd.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Android...Parts_Accessories&hash=item589842c8c1&vxp=mtr
Has anyone had any experience with this one? It appears to be what I am looking for with the mini usb and the audio input jack. Also, how do you tell if you have DSP? They are calling for a conversion kit for the DSP system. A little more that I want to spend, but still looking for a better way.

#3 ·
One way is the BlitzSafe adapter. It plugs into the connections for the trunk mounted CD changer (not sure if the Z4 supported this or not). And provides and Aux input. Youhave to run a cable from the trunk unit to up front for connecting.

The later radios do have an Aux input, but you need the special cable also. I did this with my 2002 E46 M3. Replaced the radio for one from a 03 or 04 with the Aux input.

There is also the DICE unit, that has an Aux input and Bluetooth. It also allows connection of a Sirius Sat Rx.

#6 ·
Pinecone: I went to the BlitzSafe website and they do offer adapters for the Z4, though they are a little more than the Grom adapter that I found. Stihlbolts: That is pretty much what I am looking to do. I had seen some adapters for the 5 series that mounted in the glove box. I will look at that link this weekend. Also, where did you get the phone holder? That is the solution to the other problem I have been looking for. While looking around, I noticed that the Grom I found has connectors to plug different adapter cables, ipod, micro usb, 3.5mm, etc. Before I go too deep, I think I am going to follow the ipod connection in the glove box and see what they have it connected to. Maybe it is a unit that I could change the cable for and not buy a complete unit.

#8 ·
I had seen some adapters for the 5 series that mounted in the glove box. I will look at that link this weekend.
Check out the BMW one that is sold for the 3 series. It mounts in the glovebox.

#7 ·
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-iPOD-iPHONE-iPAD-iDRIVE-Y-CABLE-CABLE-ADAPTER-USB-/121013459434?pt=Other_Tablet_eReader_Accessories&hash=item1c2cf6d9ea

The my M comes with the premium package and already had the Aux input under the dash. Buying the Iphone package for me made little sense after reading that the only controls were over 5 pre programed play lists you had to make in order to use either of the Apple products. I had already purchased the USB BMW Power plug, so the y adapter made the most of what I want for the least amount of money.

Go to Pro Clip USA - Thats where the mount comes from. Enter your car info and they will fill in the type of clip you can use. It's two parts. 1st is the dash piece, it slips under the lips of the trim and you slide it over as far as you can away from the controls. then you mount the holder too that. Pretty simple set up. Just get the holder without power and it adjusts to any phone.

Regards

#9 ·
Another couple of pictures of the Proclip Ipod mount. Everything is hardwired, sound and power.. I do NOT like cords dangling........
You just reach down to the Ipod and change your selections... My wife's iPhone4 fits in the exact cradle arrangement that is in her Roadster.

#10 ·
Thanks for the pics of the Proclip. I just put this on the Christmas list since the girls never know what to get me. Maybe I can get some time to trace the iphone connector this weekend and see what has already been installed and if I can do anything with it. bten, I have not looked that up yet, but I assume it is compatible with the Z? Thanks for the input.

#11 ·
I have the BMW iPod Adapter that was installed by the original owner. This works well enough for me except that my iPod doesn't charge when plugged into the BMW adapter. On the drive home after I bought my car my iPod died and I didn't have any way to charge it because I didn't have a 12V USB adapter with me. I've since remedied this with a dual-outlet 12V USB adapter so I can charge my phone and my iPod but of course I can't listen to the iPod while it is charging.

Does anyone know of any type of adapter solution that will allow the iPod to charge while it is plugged into the BMW iPod adapter? Perhaps an adapter that would go between the BMW adapter and the iPod that would plug into either a USB adapter or 12V socket, or better yet, hard-wired?

#14 ·
On both cars, I bought a iPod cable off Ebay. On her Roadster, the cable came with a powerplug, which I wired into the fuse box. The iPod end fits into the Proclip mount. Listen and charge at the same time.

On the ///M, the cable came with a USB plug. Cut off the plug, added a section of wire and put that directly into the fuse box. Same results... Listen and charge at the same time.
The both cables were about $15.00

#16 ·
This wouldn't work on a 2006 Z4 M because the 2006 models don't have an AUX input. The OEM iPod adapter connects an iPod directly to the head unit and fools it into thinking it's a six-disc CD changer.

#17 ·
You are incorrect.<O:p

ALL E85 and E86 models have the same basic functionality but in 2006 they (BMW) added a little more functionality.

The Head Unit has TWO 12pin connectors on the back for input. CB891-B (on left as seen from rear of head unit) is normally the port for the CD changer and CB891-C is the TV/AV/Aux input. You can have both the changer and the Aux operational at the same time&#8230; No fakery involved here, but they are pinned a little differently from each other. These are the Alpine connector numbers.
<O:p
The BMW numbers are this

CD Changer: X13321 (natural color)<O:p</O:p
Aux: X13598 (grey color)

In 2006 BMW added three more pins on the X13598 connector. Pins 3,4 and 10 were added.
<O:p</O:p

This is how my wife's Roadster is wired. My ///M just has the Aux input (no changer) so one of the sockets is empty. I know, I checked a long time ago.<O:p

BMW also have two different cables. One is the iPod cable which I think you have. The other is the Aux cable which is just an audio cable. <O:p

I don't have the iPod cable so I cannot really know how that works, but from what I understand is that it allows the head unit to communicate to your iPod/iPhone and control six preset playlists specifically named in your device????

I would be willing to bet, but don't really know, is that the dedicated iPod cable connects to CB891-C. I base this on what signals are actually on the pins. You have to disregard WHAT the signal names are and look at what they are trying to do.

Head unit:<O:p</O:p
http://www.shipkiller.com/images/Picture%20of%20back%20of%20head%20unit.jpg<O:p</O:p

All the data you need:<O:p</O:p
http://www.shipkiller.com/Radio_Head_Unit_Data.html

.<O:p</O:p

#18 · (Edited)
Ok, you obviously know a lot more about the head unit in Z4s than I do, I was merely referring to the fact that the 2006 Z4 M doesn't have the AUX input jack on the dashboard since it was a feature that was added in the 2007 and 2008 models. Thanks for this info, it's nice to know that I could add this jack since the head unit already has the AUX input.

The BMW OEM iPod Adapter plugs into the CD changer port and controls the iPod as if it were a six-disc CD changer using playlists as "discs". You have to create five playlists on your iPod that start with "BMWn" where n is the number 1-5. You can follow this with any other characters to further identify the playlist like "BMW1 Rock" or "BMW2 Faves". You select the playlist by choosing the 1-5 buttons on the dash. Button six acts as a "Play All". When I had my S2000 I bought a Monster kit that had similar functionality. It too plugged into the CD changer port on the head unit and had a similar requirement for the playlists. The drawback to this system is that you can't interface directly with the iPod since the BMW adapter "takes control" of the iPod just like when it's plugged into your laptop, and you can only have 5 playlists. You obviously also can't search, or choose song, album, artist, etc. It's exactly like having a six-disc CD changer in the trunk.

Since my OEM iPod adapter plug is in the glove box and I'm now using my old nano 3G as a dedicated music source, I just leave the nano plugged in in the glovebox which is a discrete solution that has no exposed cables. Not nearly as nice as the iPod interface in my wife's car where the iDrive replaces the iPod interface and allows you anything you could do as if the iPod were in your hand. You merely plug your iPod into the USB port in the console with the standard Apple iPod cable and select the iPod as a source in iDrive.

#19 ·
Now that makes some sense. I always wondered about that, but I also knew about the playlist limitations. I use a iPod classic 160.

One of the reasons I never went that way was those playlist limitations. Just my personal preferences, but I like the full control using the iPod, and I can just pull it out of the holder when I leave the car. We found out that my wife's iPhone 4 fits in the cradle perfectly and works well. Pros & cons to each approach.....

Using the cable I mentioned, gives you a constant volume level out of the device so you don't have to use the thumb wheel for volume, the steering controls just work. Plus all of the cables are hidden like with your cable which to me, is a big plus.

#20 · (Edited)
I think the best of both worlds for me would be to install the AUX jack which would give me the flexibility of using any iPod and having more control over the music and more playlists when I wanted including the Genius Mixes.

Where is the AUX port installed in the dash on the post-2006 models? Is it just in the radio access panel below the dash above the console?

Based on the info earlier in this thread I did order the Z4 bracket and a device mount for my smart phone but not for an iPod. ProClips is running a 25% off Black Friday sale right now.

BTW, I used the info on your website when I did my valve adjustment. I guess I never looked at any of the info about the head unit or the audio system because I didn't think I needed it! So I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for putting the info together on your website! (I just wish every link didn't open a new tab!)

#21 ·
On the factory AUX ports, it is located on the underdash access panel.
I popped the aux port out of the access panel and run the wire through that hole, leaving the aux connection coiled up internal to the dash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.