BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

335i Engine Hesitation between 2500 and 3000 rpm

101K views 94 replies 37 participants last post by  Gasoline 
#1 ·
I have a 335i (8/2007) production 6sp MT. I noticed a hesitation and roughness between 2500 and 3000 rpm under acceleration. There are no SES lights or any other symptoms. The car would accelerate through that range well enough but it was very annoying. It is particularly noticable in 4th through 6th gear. In 1st through 3rd gear the car accelerated too rapily through the rpm range to notice the roughness unless you are looking for it. My car has had the HPFP and all injectors replaced under recall and I paid for new spark plugs about a year ago and it currently has 67K miles on it. Otherwise the car is great.

I had the car scanned and there is a single code stored, (2AAF, Fuel Pump Plausibility). I took it to the dealer and they confirmed my symptoms (I did not tell them that I knew about the 2AAF and the TSB) and said I need a new low pressure fuel pump, the one in tank. I asked my service advisor if they were sure. "Why is it only in that rpm range?" He said the low pressure fuel pump is variable delivery and at that rpm delivery, that is the issue. I said OK but "fuel delivery at 2500-3000 rpm is different at each gear and varies with load on the engine." He said "we are sure that is the problem. I said "OK, do the repair." By the way, the BMW service bulletin says "do not replace low pressure components for 2AAF without testing a lot of other components first."

I picked up the car after paying my $700 and started driving it home. After warm up, I started accelerating and the car was still doing the exact same thing. I immediately brought the car back. The dealer has had the car seven days now and just told me today that they have opened a PUMA case with BMWNA.

I am reserving my opinion of this dealer until I have the problem resolved. Everyone can make a mistake. I will update the post as soon as I have resolution.

Has anyone experienced the same thing?

See less See more
#3 ·
I am also having the same problem with my car (2008 335xi 6MT). It happens only at lower RPMs as you stated. It feels like the boost is breaking up under moderate to hard acceleration. I too have had the HPFP and injectors replaced under the recall. Also, no check engine light and otherwise the car runs great. I haven't had a chance to bring it to bring it to the dealer yet and won't be able to for another week or so because I'm leaving for vacation Tuesday. Please keep us posted, I'd love to know the resolution to this issue.

#8 ·
I am also having the same problem with my car (2008 335xi 6MT). It happens only at lower RPMs as you stated. It feels like the boost is breaking up under moderate to hard acceleration. I too have had the HPFP and injectors replaced under the recall. Also, no check engine light and otherwise the car runs great. I haven't had a chance to bring it to bring it to the dealer yet and won't be able to for another week or so because I'm leaving for vacation Tuesday. Please keep us posted, I'd love to know the resolution to this issue.
This is exactly what contaminated injectors and carbon buildup feel like. Shuddering at idle and stumbling idle are usually carbon buildup rather than injectors.

#4 ·
I had the car scanned and there is a single code stored, (2AAF, Fuel Pump Plausibility). I took it to the dealer and they confirmed my symptoms (I did not tell them that I knew about the 2AAF and the TSB) and said I need a new low pressure fuel pump, the one in tank. I asked my service advisor if they were sure. "Why is it only in that rpm range?" He said the low pressure fuel pump is variable delivery and at that rpm delivery, that is the issue. I said OK but "fuel delivery at 2500-3000 rpm is different at each gear and varies with load on the engine." He said "we are sure that is the problem. I said "OK, do the repair." By the way, the BMW service bulletin says "do not replace low pressure components for 2AAF without testing a lot of other components first."
Sooooo, was the LPFP replaced?

You should be aware that LPFP problems will cause HPFP self destruct over time. Very interested in final resolution! Could be as simple as a dirty filter....:cry:

#7 · (Edited)
At the OP mileage I suspect that you guys have a combination of carbon buildup on the intake valves and some injector clogging. I have owned 3 N54 engines so I am somewhat of an armchair expert on this motor. I suggest you guys do the following:

1) Fill up with Shell 93 octane or Chevron 93 octane

2) Buy 4 bottles of BMW fuel system cleaner plus (just wait and let me finish)

3) At the first fill up do this: a) put a bottle of fuel system cleaner plus in before filling up the car b) warm up the engine at low RPM and speeds for 20 minutes c) take car onto the interstate and do 70 mph in 3rd gear making sure you are turning at least 4k RPM. d) Do the drive for 30 minutes and then shift to 6th and let the car cool down.

4) Two times a week for the next two-four weeks repeat number three making sure that you are running Shell or Chevron and using a bottle of fuel system cleaner in each tankful until all 4 bottles are gone.

I can almost guarantee your hesitation problems will be gone before or by the time all of the fuel system cleaner plus is used up. Once you have corrected the problem maintain the engine by doing my suggestion once a month. This is how I kept my N54's running good.....

#12 ·
I visited my dealer today and talked with the service manager. The car has been there 2 weeks. He told me that the regional engineer from BMW NA was there and they aren't sure what it is yet but are leaning toward the wastegate. I never had the rattling issue but wastegate sounds right to me based on the symptoms. Feels like the boost is dumping in that rpm range. I hope they do a goodwill repair. Even with the class action (wastegate warranty extended 1 year or 12,000 miles) I am screwed. I have 67k on mine. Hopefully they will take into account the fact that they replaced my low pressure fuel pump for $700 and that didn't fix it.

#13 ·
I stopped in last night to grab some fuel system cleaner. The SA said it was carbon build up if I only felt it under light engine load on the highway. She said to run 1 to 2 bottles of cleaner through it, and all should be good. The Westgate would be throwing a SES light, plus 2009 is when BMW started putting the upgraded Westgates on to get rid of any Westgate problems.

#17 ·
I met with my dealer today. I spoke with the service manager and shop foreman. Now they believe it is seals in the "turbo bypass." I can't find that in the parts list unless "turbo bypass" is the wastegate. The jury is still out on the dealer. We'll see. Both the foreman and service manager were courteous. Thats something. Three weeks and counting.

#25 ·
How can you compare a Toyota Camry. Are you guys with 335's on some kind of 335 drug? Both cars drive exactly the same with the same options other than the 335 is a little faster on take off. Big deal. Unless your racing everyday I don't see your point. And if you got it to race, most sports cars will smoke you.

#26 ·
No racing here. Little faster on take off. Come on. There is no comparison. It is far more satisfying to drive than a 328. My anecdotal evidence is that three people that work for me bought their own after driving mine. All of them were replacements for 328 or 325.

#27 ·
are you seriuos? i have a 328i all dressed m sport package and the drive and sound is probably better than most 335 basic packages. both the 328i and 335 are very comparible. if they had such a big differnce i would buy the 335 hands down because price wise i paid the same as a 335 owner with basic options. see it for what it is, most 328 owners chose this model because of the issues not the price. i find the 328 is much more dependable than the 335 and you can still have a very sporty car in looks and performance.

#28 · (Edited)
I bought mine is 2007. It is one of the early ones and this is the first problem I have had. My point is that if I were buying a BMW, that is the one I would buy. My preference. One thing I would say is price wasn't that big an issue for me. I bought it with military pricing. I now pricing is very different in Canada. It may be a much bigger deal. I paid $37K USD. I don't want to get into an argument. I have driven both and I prefer the 335i. Simple as that. I am just trying to pass on my experience in case it helps someone else.

#29 · (Edited)
the price difference is $5000 here in canada between the basic 328 and the 335. no big deal. my car cost me 51,000 before taxes and with the same options on the 335 the price tag was 57,000. no big deal in price if the 335 was a completely different ride i would buy it. but after driving both i didn't find it was worth the headaches.
ofcourse i also test drove a m3 and that is a completely different car. you can't even come close to comparing the m3 to a 335. it makes me laugh when people find their 335 is similar to the m3. The only reason i didn't opt for the m3 is strictly financial, but if i ever upgraded it would only be an m3. But like everyone who buys a 328 or a 335 especially coupes, the only reason they are not driving m3's is financial, all other excuses are bull****.

#32 ·
everyone has their own opinion. And my opinion is just that, an opinion and an answer to the inquiry. i'm not trolling buddy. I know the differences between the 2 cars, but the way many make it sound who own 335 is that 328 owners don't know what they are missing with 335's which is crazy. bottom line, any bmw you might have is a great driving machine and for someone to choose a certain model they are driving there is reason behind it.

#33 ·
All I wanted to do when I started this thread was to lay out the experience I was having with a dealer in the US as to fixing a problem I was having that seems a little unusual and communicate the fix to the community when it is done so that they will have the information if they experience the same thing. It was not to compare cars or make a value statement on 328 vs. 335. I agree the Camry reference wasn't fair but I got sucked into MontrealBimmer's reply. Sorry everyone. Back on point, I should get my car back today. I will update the thread when I do. Happy driving, boosted or not.

#38 ·
I picked up my car today. It runs awesome. Sorry MontrealBimmer. After 3 weeks in a 328 I am more sure than ever that there is no comparison. The problem was isolated to the turbo (I will post details and dealer info later). I do agree with MB that if I had the 328 I wouldn't have a turbo "problem" but I also wouldn't have the turbo "joy". An occasional glitch is a small price to pay for such a satisfying daily driver.

#48 ·
this is why they came up with the N55. i knew 3 people with similar issues to this on their N54. Unfortunately i consider beamers a gamble. you dont know what your gona get. Goodluck hope they fix it. i miss my e46 m3 i should have not sold it. it was so easy to work on unlike these newer models everything is hyraglifs.

#49 ·
While we are talking hesitation, I could use some knowledgeable opinions from you all.
I just experienced several "stumbles" while cruising down the highway. It was on a 300 mile round trip from the Jersey shore to Annapolis, Md and back. The car was at full temp and cruising at a steady 85mph( approx. 3k rpm) on the NJ Turnpike when the stumbles occurred. 3 times over the course of an hour or so. Just a hiccup really, but disturbing all the same. HPFP was done last year at 19k miles. 2009 335i MT with JB+(50%) and DCI. 27k miles. The car has been amazing so far.
Its the 5000 rpm wide torque band that separates the 328 from the 335. It appeals to the hooligan teenager lurking inside us all.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.