BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What type of Coolant?

54K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  ticklemejoviemo 
#1 · (Edited)
I had posted a few days ago saying my coolant light had come on. Two questions:

1) when it comes on, it is only on for maybe a minute, then it turns off. should I even be worried?

2) what type of coolant? just any old 50/50 brand? also, under the hood, i fill it up under the cap that says "do not open when engine is hot", right?

sorry! my dad used to do all this stuff for me - now i am reaping the "benefit" of that

I have a 2001 325i

#4 ·
Hey Hans, go to the dealer and buy BMW coolant. It is 100% coolant and it comes as 1 gallon. Buy a gallon if DISTILLED water and have an extra gallon bottle from like milk or something and clean it out WELL. Put half of the distilled water into the empty gallon bottle so it's half and half between the two bottles of distilled water. Then pour half of the BMW coolant to one of the bottles and then take the other half a gallon and put it into the BMW coolant bottle.

When the car is cold, before you turn it on for the first time, check the level. You will see this little stick and the second ball from the top should be where it is shown in the pic. If not add coolant.

#8 · (Edited)
Why do we use a 50-50% mix of antifreeze and distilled water?

Assuming that the active ingredient in BMW coolant is ethylene glycol, why that dilution? I know that it is an easier dilution, since you only have to do a half-and-half, but technically speaking a 60-40 mix gives you a wider protection range.

A 50% ethylene glycol and 50% distilled water mix freezes at -36F/-37C and boils at +225F/+107C*

A 60% ethylene glycol and 40% distilled water mix freezes at -70F/-55C and boils at +232F/+111C*

*Reference: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ethylene-glycol-d_146.html

So, does BMW coolant contain some other secret ingredient that requires the specific 50-50 mix, or is it just plain convenience? Cause the wider freezing/boiling range afforded by a 60-40 mix will probably look mightily attractive to some folks in Kentucky and other colder parts this winter, as well as those in Arizona, NM, etc., this coming summer.

BTW, don't get any funny ideas of using ethylene glycol straight up without diluting: when pure, it freezes at +8.6F /-12.9C and boils at +387F/+197.3C.

#12 ·
my gfs 02 330i was doing that, I would check the level and it would be need about 1-3cups of coolant/distilled water (I alternated). After a month or so of this, it turns out the plastic end tank was split and weeping coolant. No coolant light ever since the tank was replaced.

#16 ·
i inquired about Delo extended life, and according to their datasheet is approved by many vehicle manuf., including volkswagen, audi, andif im not mistaken mercedes. but bmw was not listed. at the end of the day though, im sure its more than adequate protection as most of those other engines are composed of the same exact material. however, i did end up using BMW coolant

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.