BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Pretty freaked out - Electrical Issues '10 328i E90 (lengthy rant)

4K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  CrisptinaG 
#1 ·
So I bought my car in March 2013 CPO with an extended warranty. It only had 12k miles on it! I got notice right away that there was a battery cable recall and I took it in for the remedy. I think they only greased the connector from what i remember reading on the mechanic notes, but now I cant find the paper to verify and myBMW doesn't keep your service records online! My friggin Toyota has all of its records easily accessible online to view anytime!! WTH BMW??
Anyway, my USB port hasn't worked properly from day 1. I mentioned it to the dealer, they looked at it (two separate occasions) and said nothing was wrong with it. :bs:
About 2 weeks ago, I wanted to take my car in for a few various reasons: My side mirror was scratched by our truck driver at work and wanted to get it repainted, the rubber seal / molding above my windshield was cracked and peeling off, and of course - mention the USB port again (which was dead more often than not now). This would turn out to be the most frustrating dealership / service visit of MY LIFE! I got a phone call the next day, turns out that they found a small crack in my windshield
Found subsequent damage to windshield - Replacing windshield. Poor layering of glass. During repairs on line A found upper portion of glass has come apart. Upper portion of windshield starting to separate from body, causing stress crack.
They replaced it. Another thing mentioned in that phone call: "they did in fact find an issue with your USB/ Aux port and are going to replace it." Fabulous! When I was called in to get my car, I found that black glue from the windshield replacement was all over the top of my car, and some of it was very hard to get off. Also, USB port still doesn't f**king work. :mad: AND my mirror looked worse than when it was sitting there with a big smudge / scratch on it from our SEMI-Truck driver! It was sort of like (girls will get it) when you paint your nails with really old, thick nail polish while sitting next to a pool in humid 110 degree weather. Lots of bubbles all over and was bulged with lots of buildup around the edges. The tape-off was crap too. Anyway, that service turned out to be ****. Plain and simple. My service rep who i find to be very professional and honest was totally ashamed. I took my car back in to see if they will really fix the issues.
When I brought my car home that day, I found that the turnover sound of my car sounded a little weak. Probably not noticeable for someone who doesn't drive that car daily, but I can hear it. Also, now the radio stations cut in and out - brief moments of silence then sound comes back. Another symptom - when I am on a phone call with the bluetooth active, the radio music will come on for a quick moment, then the call will resume and am able to hear the person again. Lastly, from the moment I drove my car home from the lot, I mentioned that my stereo sound system sounds like crap. My 84 stock 325e with original stereo/speakers had a better sound.... and so did my 07 base model Camry. Some people said I was nuts and being too picky but its all making sense now.
After much searching, I am thinking that maybe because they didn't actually replace the battery cable it is just shorted and causing these issues? Maybe they can just replace it and all will be well?
I am REALLY nervous that if the cable is the cause of all these problems, it may be too late to correct any damage it potentially has done to the system of my car. You know what they say, when a car starts to have any sort of electrical issues, its pretty much guaranteed to have expensive issues for the rest of its life. :eek: Get rid of it - FAST.
Has anyone out there had any of these issues? If you had the recall remedied, did they replace the cable or just give it some grease?? :eeps:
Hopefully someone made it this far!! I feel like this thread is therapy for me! lol..

See less See more
#2 ·
This thread IS therapy for you. You have a really bad dealership; which doesn't surprise me for El Lay. Find an independent mechanic who knows BMWs, there are bound to be a whole bunch of them in your area. As for the stereo, is it the Logic 7? It is quite tunable using the EQ, you may want to search here or e90post, many members are audio aficionados and have written EQ settings they found best for your model.

#3 ·
I don't know if its Logic 7... If I had my car with me I would look! It seems as though I have driven loaners more often than my own car.
I did a quick search for '2010 328i standard stereo' and find that they are pretty much crap. Whats going on BMW?! I am more saddened than excited with my car. I want an 80's M3!! yessss... thats what I want :D

#4 ·
Standard stereo can be blah, but good news is that all those speakers are replaceable if you visit bavsound.com, they have complete kits and aren't that too expensive. Your windshield problem is more "any car" than BMW, but I hear you on the poor service/cleanup, I find independent mechanics/service techs treat the car more like their own than a dealership.

USB: ... I found that hit or miss depending on what I was plugging into the thing, just like the power adapter thing. Have you tried different USB devices/plugs yet?

Yessss, M3 ... with EPS if you're looking for nice, tunable sound. :thumbup:

#5 · (Edited)
You said you have a 2013 Us car

You said you have a 2013 Us car
You have either the Hi Fi or Logic 7 not the base system used
World Wide as the no pay for it option. The Base system only made it
into the US 2010 and early 2011 builds.
The Hi Fi isn't that great but its way better than the base system.

Oops misread it you bought it in 2013 its a 2010.

#6 ·
Since my car is under warranty, I thought I have to take it to a dealer? I MUCH rather take it to an independent mechanic if I can. (There's something else to google!) I already have one lined up for out of warranty work.
I have owned 3 BMW's previously but they weren't new, all 80's 3series models and I found they last through everything! I even learned to do most maintenance myself - super easy. Now with all the electronic amenities I think there are going to be more issues that can/will arise. Its so disappointing that BMW would send out a car with so many cool options yet have a sound system that is just appalling. I feel like if I purchase this car over other cheap economy cars, the least it should have is a decent stereo!

I understand the window crack thing - I was more pissed that they would call me and say, "good news Miss Gonzalez! Your call is all fixed and ready!" and I have to take off work in the middle of a super busy day with a major contract being sorted out, just to sit through San Gabriel Valley traffic to get to a car that had a crap service. Late to work - waste of my time & money! I guess I expect BMW to have higher standards when it comes to pretty much everything. (Yes, I am a snob and have come to terms with it.)

As for the USB, I will try to get my little video I made posted and linked. Its nothing to do with the drive (as I have tried several). For example, you know when you choose your audio source it will list TUNER - CD - AUX - USB. If you have nothing plugged into that source there will be 2 dashes above that option as to say it is empty. Well, sometimes my car realizes that I have a USB port (either with USB logo above the listed option if it's plugged in OR 2 ' -- ' dash marks if its empty) and other times it doesn't even list it. If i go over a pot hole or something it might register for a quick second, then go away again. It usually works first thing in the morning, then when I walk my daughter into school and turn my car on again, the USB is dead.

#7 ·
It's hard to beat the 80's era BMW for reliability and simplicity. If the USB it intermittent, there is probably an electrical mishap somewhere under the connector; push to have the unit/module replaced, it's not an expensive part and they probably do it often as it seems cheap/flimsy to me. If these are the only issues with the car, it sounds like minor issues. Maybe post the maintenance you've had done, or the previous owner had done, and we can make some recommendations to keep it reliable.

#11 ·
As you hopefully can understand, the descriptions you are giving here are pretty vague, and make it hard to suggest anything as a fix. First off, I doubt the cable is the cause of the problems your are describing. As for the radio cutting out, is it on satellite channels or FM/AM? If the former, that's absolutely normal, and due to interference from trees, bridges, etc. As for your engine now sounding "weak", that would have to be placed under the "head scratcher" category. It's hard to see how anything else they did would cause such a situation. Does the car drive any differently? What are you plugging into the USB/Aux input? Just saying it doesn't work, doesn't necessarily mean that the fault lies with the car. Some phones just might not be compatible, or there's possibly something that needs to be set up to make it work. Did you demonstrate this problem to your SA? As for the sound of the stereo, I'm not familiar with the base unit in your car, but I am familiar with the sound system of the old 325e because I had the same stereo in my 325i. And it was lousy. All stock car stereos back then were lousy by today's standards. Maybe you're remembering it as better than it actually was.

#9 ·
I wonder if the previous owner dumped it because of numerous problems? Would you be able to get all the service records of the car prior to the purchase?
Take pictures of the shoddy work and ask service manager if that's up their standard. Maybe it's just the bad mech slopping off the job, if the service manager brushes you off then you know the dealership has a problem, you can bring it up to the general manager.
You can ask your service adviser to print out the work of the last battery recall.

#10 ·
Sorry to hear of your bad run of luck.

No, the Battery Cable recall is much more than just greasing the cable.

According to the paper work: The battery cable recall is SI B61 02 13 and the description is: Install the repair cable to the positive battery cable. (the part # is 61-12-9-312-133 and is listed as a rep. wire for B+:611030.

If you don't have something to this effect on your paperwork, then the "greasing cable" really doesn't apply to the sanctioned Battery Cable Recall Campaign.

This would have been accomplished via your glove box, so having things out of order in there is a first clue they did it. In fact, when I had mine done, they actually found a notecard I had that had slipped behind the glovebox and replaced it!

It seems like the bigger the dealership, the more you have to watch them like a hawk. I stopped into my dealership the other day for some windshield washer fluid and there were only about 2 people I recognized in the Service department - one being the Service Drive Manager who was my SA when I first bought the car. When I questioned him about never having the same SA twice, he replied, "We are trying to build a quality team. If people don't meet the grade we let them go." I don't know if that is the case at your dealership where the SA's and tech's aren't up to par or are just new and don't have a clue. Either way, I hope you get your issues resolved. Best of Luck!

#12 ·
Ok - That specific reply I posted while my daughter was running around like a maniac. Hopefully I can clarify a bit... I was only trying to think of possible causes of these radio and USB issues I am having. It was never determined that the cable was a direct cause. When I was reading online I saw that over time the cable could cause fuses to burn out (later I read more and found only the corresponding fuse was the one to burn out).... I was *hoping* that maybe this is whats causing my problems and it would be a very simple fix and all would be well. Just a thought - nothing more.

The radio - Its been on FM since the USB wont work. I drive pretty much the same route daily and have never heard it cut in and out this way before my last attempt at service. I did once have a really wacky experience where I tried turning on my radio and it just wouldn't turn on. I happened to look down at my phone (which was connected via bluetooth) and it was ringing. I answered, using my phone, and it went to the BT... but there was no sound. The screen on my radio was completely blank (should have at least the time on it if it's off). I tried to turn it on, turn the dial up.... nothing after several attempts. I started driving and 1 mile or so down the road I heard one really loud ring over the speakers (as if someone was calling me), then the music came on and it was super loud. I turned it down and kept driving. Later when I asked the person who was calling (the call I answered) if they heard anything. Nothing... just silence. It was just a one-time odd occurrence. I doubt it has anything with BT compatibility seeing as how my radio screen was completely blank as if there was no power to it. When it works properly, my BT is the clearest I have ever used. People can't tell I am using BT, ever.
My engine sounds 'weak' when I start it in the morning as if the battery was a little low. Have you ever left your interior light on over night before? Car still starts, but sounds like its having a little trouble. Not a lot, just a little.
And I clearly remember my stereo from my old 325e. It was a really old Bose stereo. Lousy for toady's standards - absolutely - but fabulous for back-then standards. Better than my current one in my car? Maybe I am being a little over-dramatic in that statement, but it was at least equal. In that, I am saying, my stereo in the 2010 328i is beyond lousy. No drama. No doubt. It's crap.
I did demonstrate the USB issue to my SA. He saw it and ordered a fix - a replacement of the USB/Aux port but the second I sat in my car when I picked it up, it wasnt working. I promptly went in to show him this, along with the other disappointments, and he relayed my minor flip-out to the techs in the back. He was ashamed and it could be clearly seen on his face. I couldn't however duplicate the sound cutting in and out or the freakish incident that only happened once a long time ago.
My main concern is that I have come to expect longevity in the engineering of a BMW - from the body to the motor to the computer/electrical components - just the way the old ones have proven. That '84 325e I purchased when I was 18 is still driving around in my hometown with all original parts. The engine still picks up even though it has over 300k miles on it! Stereo? The #2 button doesn't work but everything else still does! I will continue to kick myself in the ass for selling it (another therapy thread?). I would like to have a nice old BMW to give my daughter for her first car. Do you think the 2010's are going to still be going strong in 2035? 2040?

#13 ·
Here are a few of my cell phone videos crammed together real quick. I just uploaded so it may take a few minutes. http://youtu.be/yqCaThEAsiU I finally found my paper I got from when they did the recall service... they did in fact replace the cable. I think I was getting a previous recall mixed up with this one (different car, shortly before I took this one in). I will take some pictures and post..

#14 ·
Thanks for the clarifications and the great video. So, by the "weak when starting" comment, you mean slow cranking of the starter? That may indeed be an indication of either a discharged battery.. maybe because the battery is defective, or because something is still wrong with the electrical system. And, a low voltage condition may also be the cause of some of the other problems you describe. These cars depend on full voltage to work properly, due to all the digital interfaces they use. Anything less, and the cars can do some pretty whacky things. It may be as simple as you needing a new battery. But in any case, your SA should easily be able to identify this problem. As for the USB problem, I think you should first substitute a different USB device to make sure it isn't a problem with the plug on your drive. The wiggling of the plug causing the intermittent blinking is a sign of a bad connection; either in the plug or in the socket. Since they said they changed the socket, it brings the plug under suspicion.

#16 ·
Thanks for the clarifications and the great video.
Hahaa! You think my video was great! Well... Thank you! I was VERY late to work (as you can see) and about to take my car in for that service I was talking about so I was VERY rushed. I wanted to make that video in case they told me again that nothing was wrong with my USB port for a 3rd time. I told my SA that if he didn't believe me I would make him watch all of my videos I made on my phone with me. lol... While my car was there, they replaced my USB port but it is still having the same issues. I have tried several drives and they all produce the same problems. I have definitely ruled out the possibility of the USB thumb drive as the problem. They all have worked in other cars, plugged into computers... etc.
About plugging in my phone... It DOES get power to it when I select charge only. Its strange... My car will still tell me I have no USB option - or that I have nothing plugged in, if the option even shows up on the face. Though, when I unplug my phone, my battery is actually drained rather than charged. :dunno:
I dropped off my car again on Saturday morning ( 8/3/13) but my SA wasn't in the office. I wanted him to be the one taking care of my car since he knew everything that was going on with it and felt he should finish the job he started, so I am expecting a call from him today. Hopefully they will get to the bottom of this all. And hopefully it will be a very simple fix, like a battery replacement!

I will scan my previous services and post them in a bit!

#15 ·
From that video, I see intermittent power. If you have an iphone (or some other phone using usb to charge), try plugging the charging cable and see if the phone charges.

There is an interface not under the armrest, but somewhere else other than the connector. It may be in this photo.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.