BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

My New Z4 detailing

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Glen E 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been a hobbyist/ detailer for years and was excited to do my new Z4. I was interested to see how "clean" the car would come from the plant, as this never saw the dealer lot and was not washed by them - on my request. There are a huge amount of good waxes - Meguires, Collinite, polymers but the latest technology I love is call "wipe on walk away" products - no buffing. This not a scam or ploycoat or some crap but high end stuff made by most everyone now. The real advantage is you don't buff at all, and have white stuff around the Roundel and in door jambs anymore, just unbelievable gloss. It leaves no white crap on your trim for you to scrub out.

Well the car was dirty. It had paint contamination - you check by putting your hand in a ziplock and feeling the paint. If you feel bumps, it needs claying.

So I clayed and rewashed with dawn detergent to get the surface free of all oils. And yes, for complete stripping, there in nothing better than Dawn.

Currently I am using the Blackfire products but another good one is Ultima. Blackfire Total Polish and seal is very unique. It is a sealer and polish in one, that dries almost to a gloss, no real buffing. You just rub it in and it disappears. Then comes their Crystal Seal which is just wiped on with a microfiber brick they supply - no buffing - it is done 30 secs after it hits your paint. Do the wheels too. Brake dust flies off them with a hose.

The results are fantastic and it lasts 4-6 months in the Florida sun. Follow up with car wash soap every week or so with a quick spray of their Poly spritz. All this can be done by hand, an orbital with a green pad is better for the polish.

Blackfire stuff here - not pushing it, Ultima stuff is also good:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/blackfire-car-care.html

See less See more
#2 ·
I've used Ultima before and I agree, it's good stuff. However, when it comes time to prep my car for the winter, I put on 3-4 coats of Klasse SG. The reason I use this is because one spring when I washed the car with Dawn prior to claying, I could actually see the SG dripping off the car. If that could hold up to snow, salt and car wash detergents for 5 months, it's a winner.
BTW, looks like we have twin cars. Red/black, M sport, 18" wheels. Nice!

#4 ·
Glen E,

I read your post about your detailing project on the other site two nights ago. Your car looks great.

I have been reading a lot about the new products. It has been a few years since I have used the Zanios products and I like the results but I wanted to see what is new.

It has also been interesting to read about the ED deliveries where folks are detailing their cars in the Welt parking garage. At first I thought this was more extreme than I have been but now I understand their reasoning. For the past 9 years I have been buying Acuras, 6 total. Acura ships their cars with the white protective film and I am taking it that BMW doesn't.

I will apply something to mine when I pick it up in June just not sure what yet.

#5 · (Edited)
yeah even with coverings the paint gets dirty with something called rail dust - not just at trains but at ports - clay for best results.....Zaino makes a wipe on sealant that people like too....you get multiple coats on of ultima and it gets candy looking...
this is my accord with 2 wipe on coats:

#6 ·
I clayed my cars before the zanio was applied but I didn't know about the Iron X product then. I will have to research it more.

I was just surprised that BMW wasn't adding the protective film to help.

I guess using zanio's AIO and CS or similar products before it is shipped to the U.S. is better than waiting for a complete detail when it is here?

#7 · (Edited)
I clayed my cars before the zanio was applied but I didn't know about the Iron X product then. I will have to research it more.

I was just surprised that BMW wasn't adding the protective film to help.

I guess using zanio's AIO and CS or similar products before it is shipped to the U.S. is better than waiting for a complete detail when it is here?
agreed - new cars just need an AIO - another good one is Meguires D151 with a blue polishing pad and then a sealant...Menernza gets high marks too with Power finish....

if you want to get really radical, do a search for opti-coat 2.0 on the autopia site - permanent - gloss

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/

crystal seal eval here:
http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums...blackfire-crystal-seal-brand-new-product.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.