BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Hey guys! New m3 owner need advice!

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  illestminimike 
#1 ·
Hello, my name is Brian and I just got a 2004 m3 carbon black with 40,000 miles. I am looking to paint my grills and gills but I am not sure what color would go best with the carbon black. Matte black, color match? Shine black? Also what would look best on the gills? I also want to upgrade my 18 oem rims. I have found these VMR CSL replicas for a great price. But I am not sure if the color would go with the carbon black? Also would they fit with my stock suspension or even if I get spring? They are 19X8.5 front 19X10 rear. Thanks for all the help in advance! I am happy to join the BMW world and meet new friends

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
hi baller
As you may have guessed by handle I also have a 2004 m3 carbon black the gills,and kidneys on my m3 are stock kinda of a chrome look which I like. As far as wheels and tires go I have BBS
18/8.5 on the front 18/10 in the rear with michelin pilot super sports 275/35XL18 in the rear and
255/45XL18 on the front just put them on the other day look very sweet:)

#4 ·
Congrats Brian on the new ride! You have good taste! :thumbup: Did you get your new wheels yet?

I was in a similar situation a few months ago. I think the csl's are a timeless, elegant design for the m3, but it seems that everybody and their grandma driving a 3 series has them. Me being one to go against the grain, I chose something a bit unorthodox. I ultimately chose 18" bbs wheels that came originally on a 2008 e92 m3 (219m). I think they look sinister, but perhaps someday I'll get a set of silver 19" csl's for show. I think bright silver wheels contrasts the dark carbon black nicely for a really classic look. Dark wheels make the car look aggressive. I suppose it's really a question of preference / what look you're going for.

My car is lowered on tein s springs / koni shocks. If you go with 19", most likely you'll need to get the car lowered. Have you heard of Sportline CS.16?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=899048&highlight
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=873149&highlight
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=910886&highlight

When I do get a set of csl's, i'd likely go with the Sportline's instead of Vmr as they are considerably lighter (forged rotary in sportline vs low pressure cast in vmr); for 19"s; the weights for the Sportline are 20.8 lbs (front) & 23.4 lbs (rear) while vmr vb3's are 25 lbs (front) & 27 lbs (rear). The differences in weights may not seem like much, but as this is a reduction of unsprung weight; acceleration, braking, & corning all becomes more responsive & precise.

In regards to grills & gills; again, it all depends on what kind of look you're going for. Oem chrome = classy; matte black = aggressive / racy

#5 ·
Both the Sportline CS.16 wheels and the VMR VB3 wheels are great choices. However, it comes down to what you're looking to do. Sportline wheels are only available in the silver finish and they do only offer their wheels in the 19x8.5 / 19x9.5 fitments. The VMR VB3 wheels are a lot more color choices and you would be able to get the 19x10 fitment for the rear. I'll drop you a PM with more details!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.