BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Running Toward the Light

32K views 201 replies 37 participants last post by  Princeton 
#1 ·
Over the past few days I think I've read every post available on the 'fest, on M3 Post and E90 Post regarding replacing the stock halogen angel eye bulbs. Now that I've done my research I have some questions:

1) It looks like there are two major ways to go - either replacing the halogen bulbs with bulbs that are blue coated to shed the "white" light. ie - GP Thunders and competitors

and

2) Replacing the halogen bulbs with an LED bulb ie Angel iBright - Lux H8 - Weisslicht.

I know that the LED replacements are a lot more expensive.

The M3 guys all seem to love the Angel iBright setup ($300), and from what I've seen in photographs, this appears to be a pretty close approximation of what I remember seeing last summer when they had an LCI E93 on display at the Welt.

Yet, when I read the fine print of the sigs around here, it seems like most of the E9X that have made this modification have done so with the GP Thunders. ($20)

1) Is cost the only reason people aren't doing the Angel iBrights?

2) Are the GP Thunders really that good?

ps: E92LIghting, JLeviSW and EAS - I know you all are going to show up here and try to sell me. I've already studied your websites and your products. What I am looking for here is real time - real data from the day to day users.

TIA

See less See more
#50 · (Edited)
Kat, have you looked at these? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-0...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories . Here's the Ebay search I did - http://motors******.ebay.com/i.html..._osacat=33713&bkBtn=&_trksid=p4506.m270.l1313 - Bimmerfest is being weird - type ****** where the asterisks are. Or just do your own search. You don't need me to take hold your hand, do you?

I think I'm going to buy a set of these from the same seller - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170606638487&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

#51 ·
A couple years ago, I bought a pair of GP Thunder 8500K for $16 + $5 shipping. They've served me well. The color output is much whiter than stock and more closely matches the HID xenons. They look great at night, dusk and dawn, but can look slightly washed out in full and direct sunlight. That’s why I'm debating about getting the Weisslicht LED's.

As far as inspections go, I've never had any problem. If you think about it, how could they give you a hassle? Angel eyes are just DRL's which are not required by law anyway. In my iDrive, and I suppose the OBC stalk as well, you can choose whether enable or disable the DRL's all together.

#54 ·
I just ordered GP THUNDER 8500K H8 PLASMA V2. My car's still under warranty and the dealership would not install a LED system. This should hold me off until my warranty expires and then the LED options should be much cheaper. Perhaps by then a 3d Party (LCI Coupe) replicas for the E90 will be on the market.

#57 ·
Kat,

Derrick from E92Lighting has amazing lighting products.

I bought 2 x GP Thunders 7500 and 2 x MTec 4500.

The GP's I installed for the Corona's, the MTec's for the Fog Lights.

MTec's are much brighter than the GP's, but both are equally as nice. They are a very economical solution $20 bucks to getting rid of the ugly amber Philips bulb.

If you are serious about LED's, then I would try to track down a unit similar to the ones found in the 2011 E93's. It'll probably cost a few hundred, as LED is more expensive than the H8 bulb replacements. Plus there is no plug and play with LED. You will have to remove your front wheels to install the full LED Unit (dont pay BMW to do this, because they charge an arm and a leg for manual labour).

#59 ·
Kat,

Derrick from E92Lighting has amazing lighting products.

I bought 2 x GP Thunders 7500 and 2 x MTec 4500.

The GP's I installed for the Corona's, the MTec's for the Fog Lights.

MTec's are much brighter than the GP's, but both are equally as nice. They are a very economical solution $20 bucks to getting rid of the ugly amber Philips bulb.

If you are serious about LED's, then I would try to track down a unit similar to the ones found in the 2011 E93's. It'll probably cost a few hundred, as LED is more expensive than the H8 bulb replacements. Plus there is no plug and play with LED. You will have to remove your front wheels to install the full LED Unit (dont pay BMW to do this, because they charge an arm and a leg for manual labour).
S4RIN,

Thanks for the input.

The Angel iBrights and LUX systems are LED, and they are more or less "plug and play". Also, I don't have a sedan. The Coupe and Cabrio headlights are accessed from the engine compartment, not the wheel well. I've ruled out the Halogen bulbs and have full intention of spending the $200-300 needed. And no worries, based on my reading my little fingers will be needed to get into the cramped confines of the headlight housing so I won't be taking it to the dealership to have these installed. I'm a DIY kind of gal.

#58 ·
Also,

Have you asked your dealer what it would cost to have 2 Full LED Headlamp units compatible with the LCI E93 shipped from the Austrian factory to the dealership and installed?

Your car is made for the unit since its the refresh. It wouldn't violate warrenty since its an original BMW product.

The question is, would they be willing to order you a set if you paid?

#61 ·
Also,

Have you asked your dealer what it would cost to have 2 Full LED Headlamp units compatible with the LCI E93 shipped from the Austrian factory to the dealership and installed?

Your car is made for the unit since its the refresh. It wouldn't violate warrenty since its an original BMW product.

The question is, would they be willing to order you a set if you paid?
Noooo. My Cabrio is an '09. Pre LCI for the E93.

#60 ·
DAMN they new angel eyes are bright. pretty intense coming outside when it kinda dark and those things are blinding you
do the ibrights

#81 · (Edited)
moved

#82 ·
Asian intrigue indeed. I could recommend a hotel in Taipei, but they don't specialize in female guests. Definitely an OT topic. (it's not a Gay thing).

Had several suits made in Taipei...real cheap. Got back to Boston and stood at a bus stop too long...the entire left side (sun side) completely bleached out from the sun...vs. the right side. I didn't notice anything until after I was rejected for the job interview. I wondered why they were staring at me. Imagine: left side PINK, right side brown. So humiliating. Mr. Quan never returned my calls.
:) I had a suit made in Hong Kong this winter. I am a pretty good judge of fabric so I hope mine doesn't meet the same demise.

#84 · (Edited)
I am really looking forward to the pic, Red Raider.

Do they fill the whole corona?

ps: I like what you are doing with the screen names
:thumbup:

#85 · (Edited)
I am really looking forward to the pic, Red Raider.

Do they fill the whole corona?

ps: I like what you are doing with the screen names
:thumbup:
Kat, I just tried to take pics with my phone and all it gets is a big blob of white on one side and a big blob of yellow on the other. I'll try again later.

The pics at the end of the .pdf below show what they look like.

They fill the entire corona and are exactly the same color temperature as the xenons.

Now I have LED coronas (at least I will on both sides tomorrow) and LED brake and amber LED rear turn signals. :smokin: I have Silverstar ambers on the front, so I don't have the egg yoke look. :bigpimp:

I figure supporting members deserve to be recognized at all times. :)

twang, you need to get either these - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-0...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories , or these - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Attachments

#86 ·
Kat, are you still running toward the light? ;) I have my LEDs on both sides now and they look GREAT!! From pictures you can't always tell just how much better the LEDs will make the coronas look. The change is really striking. I'm uber pleased I did this. The first one was a pain, of course, since I was learning, but the second one was cake.

Have you made a decision?

#87 ·
Kat, are you still running toward the light? ;) I have my LEDs on both sides now and they look GREAT!! From pictures you can't always tell just how much better the LEDs will make the coronas look. The change is really striking. I'm uber pleased I did this. The first one was a pain, of course, since I was learning, but the second one was cake.

Have you made a decision?
Absolutely. You need to post up some pics.

#90 ·
Red Raider, your angel eyes look great. Refresh me on what exactly you bought?

#91 ·
Red Raider, your angel eyes look great. Refresh me on what exactly you bought?
Thanks, Kat. I'm so impressed with how much more up to date it makes the car look. :bigpimp:

These. The first link is to a set that would fit your car. :thumbup:

#93 ·
I put LEDS angel eyes in my car 2 weeks ago. While I love the look, they seem to wash out in the daytime defeating the whole point of DRLs

[/ATTACH]
What brand did you go with?

#132 · (Edited)
OEM, BMW-Performance Grilles and GP Thunders Installed. All done at the Dealer. They gave me a little flack about the lights, but they ended up doing it anyway.

BTW,II wanted the oil changed as it has been a year since the last one. The dealer said I wasn't due for an oil change. They said that they can go 2 years now?! (We don't get free service here in Germany)

Attachments

#98 ·
So do these aftermarket ones change brightness when going from DRL to full light on? I wonder if that is bulb specific. I know on my OEMs they are MUCH brighter when used just as DRL and dim when I turn the xenons on.

I still like the yellowish hue with the black paint. The OEM LED ones are striking though, to steal tturaiders earlier comment. If a OEM version could cheaply be installed on mine I would consider it, but my guess is I will stick with these until they burn out and then decide at that point whether to go OEM or aftermarket.

#99 ·
On my old E90 3er my coronas are always the same level of brightness. :( I'm going to replace my inner lights/DRLs, but I'm going to have to take the front wheels off to do it and, dang it!!!, our cars don't come with lug wrenches! :thumbdwn:

#104 ·
Don't get PIAA H8 LEDs

I am getting in on this discussion a little late, but I have some first hand experience to share.
I have a 2011 335d M pkg. After researching all the forums, I decided not to cheap out and
I ordered PIAA LEDs to replace the H8 halogen corona AEs. They were $340 and are not available from PIAA USA.
The face lifted 2011 allows you to access the corona AE bulb straight from the top, but because of the tight space you have to remove the airbox on the passenger side and remove the power steering fluid bracket assembly to be able to reach your hand in the small opening to remove the bulb.
I was very disappointed in the performance of the PIAAs. No codes and they lit up the inner rings on both sides nicely, but the outer rings were very muted and barely visible. Even by adjusting the LED with the allen wrench that is provided, not enough light is transmitted through the glass tubing into the outer ring. The OEMs are much brighter I think this is a problem with many of the after market LEDs. I removed the PIAAs and reinstalled the OEM H8 halogens. Back to the drawing board.:mad:

#105 ·
I am getting in on this discussion a little late, but I have some first hand experience to share.
I have a 2011 335d M pkg. After researching all the forums, I decided not to cheap out and
I ordered PIAA LEDs to replace the H8 halogen corona AEs. They were $340 and are not available from PIAA USA.
The face lifted 2011 allows you to access the corona AE bulb straight from the top, but because of the tight space you have to remove the airbox on the passenger side and remove the power steering fluid bracket assembly to be able to reach your hand in the small opening to remove the bulb.
I was very disappointed in the performance of the PIAAs. No codes and they lit up the inner rings on both sides nicely, but the outer rings were very muted and barely visible. Even by adjusting the LED with the allen wrench that is provided, not enough light is transmitted through the glass tubing into the outer ring. The OEMs are much brighter I think this is a problem with many of the after market LEDs. I removed the PIAAs and reinstalled the OEM H8 halogens. Back to the drawing board.:mad:
Do the PIAAs have two leds in each unit? I've noticed some seem to have only one led.

#106 · (Edited)
Bad news folks. My new LEDs blew. I was messing with them, checking the light output and I left them on overnight which drained my battery. When I went to try and start the car, not know the battery was discharged, I got kind of an power surge as the started tried to turn over. Still not realizing my parking lights were in the on position I tried one more time to start the car and had another power surge. It blew out the LEDs. No I have no angel eyes at all.

I'm pretty sure the Ebay seller I got them from will send me a new set. But, still gotta find out.

Bummer.

I looked at other LED lights and found ones for $140, which I think is about what Kat was looking at. They are super bright, but I don't want to lay out that much cash, 'cause I'm not gonna use them as DRLs and they will only be on when my headlights are on. I just like them to match the color of my headlights.

#109 ·
Bad news folks. My new LEDs blew. I was messing with them, checking the light output and I left them on overnight which drained my battery. When I went to try and start the car, not know the battery was discharged, I got kind of an power surge at the started tried to turn over. Still not realizing my parking lights were in the on position I tried one more time to start the car and had another power surge. It blew out the LEDs. No I have no angel eyes at all.

I'm pretty sure the Ebay seller I got them from will send me a new set. But, still gotta find out.

Bummer.

I looked at other LED lights and found ones for $140, which I think is about what Kat was looking at. They are super bright, but I don't want to lay out that much cash, 'cause I'm not gonna use them as DRLs and they will only be on when my headlights are on. I just like them to match the color of my headlights.
Actually, the two options I am mulling are priced at $249 (LUX H8) and $299 (Angel ibright). Sorry to hear the ebay lights blew. I hope your ebay seller will make you whole again.

I'm TRYING to remain positive about Kat's light mod, but I had a cadre of "yute" engineers (BSME) that were CONSTANTLY modding their cars. I can't begin to tell you the stories...cold air intake? Sucked water into the engine. Exhaust? burned the carpet in the trunk, got a "noise" ticket...high performance engine mods? Blew the engine...goes on and on. Worst case scenario for Kat? Go back to OE.

I suggest that Kat take a photo "before" and "after" for her light pattern if possible (such as against a wall at night)...or while driving.
Excellent suggestion about doing a light pattern. I'll get back on the task of this mod in a few days (when I'm coherent again).

#117 ·
PNG: Do you know my SO? Are you my SO in disguise? He has absolutely put his foot down that I can't do the Smartop mod till I am out of warranty. But I haven't seen the warranty void warnings regarding the lights.

(However, he didn't flinch last week when I told him I was budgeting for the performance exhaust, go figure :dunno:)

#118 ·
PNG: Do you know my SO? Are you my SO in disguise? He has absolutely put his foot down that I can't do the Smartop mod till I am out of warranty. But I haven't seen the warranty void warnings regarding the lights.

(However, he didn't flinch last week when I told him I was budgeting for the performance exhaust, go figure :dunno:)
Kat,
I'm NOT going NEGATIVE on you...please understand. Matter of fact, I've invested ten bucks on novena candles, a St. Christopher dash icon (bobble head)...and recently dedicated my neighbor's "Our Lady of the Up-Turned Bath-tub" shrine to the success of your light mod. I can't think of anything else that I can do to guarantee success to your venture. It's a WIN situation. :thumbup:

#107 ·
Running towards the light
man they are so fukcing bright
same feeling as that drunkin crazy night
the night that I got into that huge fight
the night that I almost my life right
but things now are starting to look bright
I got a beautiful girlfriend, a Rolls Royce and a amazing heavenly cite.

#126 ·
Running towards the light
man they are so fukcing bright
same feeling as that drunkin crazy night
the night that I got into that huge fight
the night that I almost lost my life right
but things now are starting to look bright
I got a beautiful girlfriend, a Rolls Royce and a amazing heavenly cite.

#127 ·
@BMWFTW91:

When I titled this thread I had no idea there was a song that had the lyrics you posted. I've really tried to keep this a serious thread about replacing the angel eyes. Do you have some relevant input?

#128 ·
I picked up a set of LED angel eye "bulbs" from Terry's company. It's for the e90.
I haven't gotten around to installing them yet, though. Mostly because it apparently requires me to jack up the car on either side and get at the bulbs through the wheel wells. What a PITA.

#129 ·
Please post pics referenced with the product number and vendor when you complete the install.

All information is appreciated.

#130 · (Edited)

And my you're a stickler, Nordic.

These are the LED Angel Eyes bought from Terry Burger's company--burgertuning.com.

They cost $100, and didn't have any instruction sheets or anything in them. They came with the two LED light units, a nut driver and two sockets, plus a T15 torx screwdriver.

#131 · (Edited)
And my you're a stickler, Nordic.

These are the LED Angel Eyes bought from Terry Burger's company--burgertuning.com.

They cost $100, and didn't have any instruction sheets or anything in them. They came with the two LED light units, a nut driver and two sockets, plus a T15 torx screwdriver.
And you are a knight with shining halos. :angel:

They look great. Thanks for posting the picture. Looks like I need to revisit some of the options.

[EDIT] Bummer, I just visited Burger Tuning web site and your lights are not available for the Cabrio or Coupe. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.