BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Auto Start Stop- I really don't hate it that much.

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  The X Men 
#1 ·
After reading about the ASS function on here so often, I expected the absolute worst. But I really don't mind it that much. I do wish that you could set how long the car has to be still before it is activated yourself. I think it is a bit quick on the draw. It seems almost calming to be waiting at a red light without the engine just wanting to go. I also think the Auto-H makes the ASS even better. Pull up to stop somewhere, go ahead and let off the brake, engine goes off, and then everything pops back to life when you're ready to go.:dunno:

#3 ·
Have any of you who uses this function gotten a good idea of your fuel savings over a longer period? Is it more than 1 mpg? I'm not interrested in details as how many stop lights, distance etc. just your mpg with it on vs. off if you have measured both. Both our cars have it ( 2011 M3 and 2013 Cayenne ) but both are set to permanently off since neither of us like the sensation of the engine shutting off and on.

#4 ·
Never measured the mpg but have been meaning to out of sheer curiosity. I doubt it's a huge difference; maybe just enough to give BMW their mpg numbers for advertisement.

I didn't know M series BMWs had ASS; my X5M doesn't have it so I figured it wouldn't even be an option on any M's???

#8 ·
I like the ASS myself as well, its nice and quiet at a stop light. If I need to get off the light quick, I just pop it in DS mode and the ASS will turn off. The weather here lately has been below 37 deg F where the ASS is diable. My MPG computer show a decrease of about 2 MPG, but some of that could be due to the winter gas blend as well.

#10 ·
F10 owners, go over into the coding thread and it's really easy to code yourself even if you have no idea WTF they coders are talking about. There are instructions available that run along the lines of: 1 download 2 install 3 connect 4 start program 5 go to this directory 6 change this (SOME LONG GERMAN WORD) from "Aktiv" to "Nicht Aktiv" in a dropdown box 7 save 8 done

ASS wasn't a show stopper for me but I still coded it off...........not that I even drive my F10 much : (

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.