BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Air Pump?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  jm0045 
#1 ·
I installed PDC in my 2002 X5 4.4 last weekend. (Thanks again to Kevin for his superb instructions!)

Supporting the spare tire was a large heavy round black structure called an "air pump."

Not to sound too stupid, but what's it for?

TIA.

Joe Mazza

#2 ·
The air suspension.

#3 ·
jm0045 said:
I installed PDC in my 2002 X5 4.4 last weekend. (Thanks again to Kevin for his superb instructions!)

Supporting the spare tire was a large heavy round black structure called an "air pump."

TIA.

Joe Mazza
That's the coompressor unit for the self leveling suspension. It pumps air into the two cylinders (small tanks) above the rear tires. You may have seen these behind the compressor!

#5 · (Edited)
jm0045 said:

TIA.

Joe Mazza
Hey Joe! Glad to see you found your way over here from that other forum. You've found the braintrust of X5 knowledge. (Not me, the other guys here. I'm just here for entertainment.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.