BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New iDrive Firmware Released - Email Finally?

17K views 79 replies 29 participants last post by  boltjaM3s 
#1 ·
Looks like there is another update available, Version 1006.

Release notes:

> Office: Improved support for email messages. Improved display of text-message sender on iPhone devices with iOS6.

> Telephone: Improved USB connection for iPhone devices with iOS 5. Improved connectivity of certain devices. For certain devices, better display and stability during calls. Improved Bluetooth connection with HTC devices. Improved sorting of the phone book in Android devices in Japan.

> Multimedia: Improved display of additional album and track information. Improved connection and control in Bluetooth audio devices.

> Improved functionality of TeleService, BMW Online and Internet for iPhone
devices with iOS 5.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/navigation/bluetooth/bluetooth_software_update_vin.jsp

I am sick in bed, someone else will have to be the guinea pig on this one.

BJ

See less See more
#2 ·
Cool! BMW is now allowing some software updates to be done at home. That was totally impossible on my old E60. Probably old news to a lot of festers, but new to me...

#3 ·
Yup.

Go to that download page. Enter your VIN. Download the file. Do not decompress.

Put the file in the root of a virgin thumbdrive. Can't be in a folder, can't be on there with other files. Empty thumbdrive, just the raw downloaded BIN file on there.

Start the car. Wait 60 seconds for iDrive to spool up fully. Insert the thumbdrive in the armrest USB port (not the glove compartment). Wait another 30 seconds for the drive to be recognized.

Scroll to Settings > Update and choose the 'update firmware' option. It'll see the file, reboot iDrive, and tell you when it's done.

BJ

#5 ·
Cool.

Just so you know.....these updates always have email that works the very first time you try it. But the next time you turn the car off, walk away, and then come back and turn the car on, email dies.

If you get it working, test email a few times to confirm that it 'sticks' after you've shut the car off and turned it back on again a bit later.

BJ

#6 ·
Happy to report that the email issue has now been fixed. After the update I sent myself an email and it showed the notification in the control display and I was able to read it.

Another fix you now get an audible notification as well through the speakers. Not just for email but you also get audible notification for any app that has one so for example the gmail app on iOS you can hear the 'ding' through the car speakers.

Just so you know.....these updates always have email that works the very first time you try it. But the next time you turn the car off, walk away, and then come back and turn the car on, email dies.

If you get it working, test email a few times to confirm that it 'sticks' after you've shut the car off and turned it back on again a bit later.
Good to know, I will try again shortly then.

#7 ·
Happy to report that the email issue has now been fixed. After the update I sent myself an email and it showed the notification in the control display and I was able to read it.

Another fix you now get an audible notification as well through the speakers. Not just for email but you also get audible notification for any app that has one so for example the gmail app on iOS you can hear the 'ding' through the car speakers.

Good to know, I will try again shortly then.
Great news! I have the file downloaded and will test myself shortly...

#16 ·
Thanks. But as a fellow manual transmission brother, we do not have Park :)

But I get it, car stationary. Don't know who the hell would update while driving, but you see worse on the commute to work everyday.

#18 ·
I did the update on my E90, just pressed the button once to turn electronics on without starting the car and it worked fine. Also, I had the file on the root of the USB drive, but also had other files on there without a problem.

I just checked that the update properly installed, but didn't notice any immediate changes in functionality, but again it is an E90 so not sure how many of the improvements mentioned will pertain in my case. I'll need to play with it more over the weekend.

#26 ·
I did the update on my E90, just pressed the button once to turn electronics on without starting the car and it worked fine. Also, I had the file on the root of the USB drive, but also had other files on there without a problem.
This was also my experience in my 2012 E93 and iPhone 4. As others have mentioned, the texts work fine (actually significantly reduced delay time between iPhone notification and iDrive notification :thumbup: ), but no email.

I did notice that only the Telephone update was applied - no multimedia update registered on the iDrive screen. I wonder if this is due to my skipping from the 1004 update to the 1006 update without doing the intermediate 1005 update? :dunno:

#20 · (Edited)
I installed the update successfully but emails are still not coming through....I do receive txt msgs as per usual with no audio notification however.

Multimedia: MX-003.005.004
Telephone: MX-003.005.006

Golovko: If you can spell out your set up for both the iPhone and the idrive it would be appreciated

P.S. I'm on iOS 6.0.2 / iPhone 5

**Update... Good news: After spending some time in my car I was able to get it receive both emails and txt messages on a regular/frequent basis...
Bad news: After the success that I outlined above, I decided to turn off the car and let it sit a few mins....after which I restarted the car and tried to send an email.....No luck...emails were no longer coming through....but txt msgs continued to work fine....

It seems that this software update did not fix our issues after all....back to the drawing board.

#22 ·
The email fix must be at Apple's end as this feature was working in one iOS 6 Beta version and then got broken by the release version.

New text/emails sound via the car speakers has worked since day 1: flip the speaker switch to on on the upper left side of the iPhone.

#21 ·
Thanks for sharing. None of these are useful to me, but its nice to see updates being released. Hope you feel better.

#30 ·
A couple of things I've noticed with the new firmware since uploading it last week:

- Faster response and connectivity for phone calls over Bluetooth.

- Faster text messaging sync, the envelope icon appears almost instantaneously to an iPhone audible alert.

- The ability to re-name FM and AM radio stations instead of relying solely on RDS data (cleans up the HUD and Presets list).

- When reading a text or playing back audio text the name of the sender is now in the message and is read back to you.

- Better Bluetooth streaming for Pandora, faster response time, less lag for song title info, seems to sound better too.

- New icons in the shaded box display.

- Email with iPhone still not functional.

- Siri still works just as well as it did after the last update, just press and hold the iPhone 'home' button and speak over the car's mic and speakers.

BJ

#37 ·
A couple of things I've noticed with the new firmware since uploading it last week:

- The ability to re-name FM and AM radio stations instead of relying solely on RDS data (cleans up the HUD and Presets list).
Hmmm, I performed the update but do not have the ability to rename stations. Is this something only applicable to cars with NAV? Doesn't make sense if it does.

#31 ·
Anyone know whether the new cars being built will have this update? Seems as though they should.

#57 · (Edited)
I was all excited and updated my iDrive to the latest level thinking it would display the artists and song that was being streamed. I like to listen to Spotify from my HTC EVO 4G LTE, but I just get no info on the iDrive. This update didn't change that
I'm assuming that you're streaming via Bluetooth and have the BMW Assist With Enhanced Bluetooth & USB option.

Spotify is not part of BMW Apps, so it's up to Spotify to work that out in their app, not BMW.

Pandora, same type of implementation, but they have the ability to show ID3 information. You need to visit the Spotify forums to find out what's going on there as its a Spotify app issue, not a BMW iDrive issue.

BJ

#62 ·
Yeah, I got enhanced Bluetooth and all jazz, ain't my first rodeo. The thing is I've had friends with iPhones that connect to my car and their info is displayed on the iDrive. BMW just has no love for Android.
Sorry, didn't realize you had an Android device.

You know how you probably dismissed Steve Jobs contention that Android was a "fragmented" OS that lacked consistency across carriers, networks, and devices? It's like that.

BJ

#67 ·
I just found this out today. My Android Phone (HTC EVO 4G LTE) has an option under Bluetooth advance that says send message information. I have that check marked and now I get my text messages on my iDrive, and it reads them to me. I haven't tried out the emails, but I'm excited about my text messages. It's pretty zippy also, in that it sends it right when the phone gets the message. Just wised I could reply back with voice. I know it's coming in the new iDrive version but I want it now :mad:

#74 ·
Just plug in the iPhone 5 to the usb, it charges, gives you the "connected drive" options, BMW Apps, and you can have bluetooth syncing calls and music. I'm not spending $500 for a charging cradle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.