BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

i or Li???

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  NickyBlack 
#1 ·
Planning on ordering a 2013 7. I currently own a E66 750Li but plan on getting a short wheelbase version this time. Is there a difference in the handling and ride with the short one?
Also, anyone ever regret getting the short version? Is resale better with the long version later on? 90% of the time I'm alone or with my wife in the car.

#3 ·
Just test drove both the L and the short version of the 2013 750. I was completely shocked but could not detect any difference at all in the way they drove. Very surprising given the almost foot of extra room back there.

Opted for the 750i since I don't drive the kids around that much anymore...

#4 ·
We had a 2007 750Li and then a 2010 and 2012 750i standard wheelbase. IMO, I like the handling and the feel better in the standard wheelbase. If you need the extra rear seat room, then the Li makes more sense. It is just me, my spouse and young child 99.99% of the time, so the Li is/was not needed!

#5 ·
I went Li...of course i got kids so the extra room is the way to go....even if not, I liked the longer presence of the Li.....i've driven both i & Li and couldnt tell a difference (weight balance felt great), and I know how to drive very very hard. a 7 is about luxury/cruiser vs pure sport (although it can be driven harder than most realize) so go Li unless you dont like the look of it (or price difference), because at some point you may use the space. (just my opinion)

#6 ·
(although it can be driven harder than most realize) so go Li unless you dont like the look of it (or price difference), because at some point you may use the space. (just my opinion)
I second that. I tore up the Nürburgring with my 2013 750Li xDrive, passed an M1. I will say the car's brakes are not engineered for racing around green hell as they got hot. The weight add for the long is negligible as the frame is aluminum.

#7 ·
I really like look of the long wheel base better. Always drove long wheel base S-Class Mercedes' before which also look nicer in its stretched version.

What is different is that, subjectively, the rear door on the BMW look so much larger than on the MB. That emphasizes the longer version IMO.
I think that's due to the fact that the window is larger and the front door seems a bit shorter. At least I feel a whole lot more B pillar next to me than on the MB.

#10 ·
Mine was a 750ix and I would recommend not getting the extra length if you don't really need it.

#11 ·
I've owned both.
I prefer the look of the SWB as it has better proportions.
Also, I think the SWB subjectively feels more nimble, while the LWB has a slightly better ride.
Keep in mind the differences are minute.
That being said, I currently have the LWB because I have kids, and the extra rear seat space is nice.
No one kicking my seat!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.