BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Keys: The Full Story.

52K views 47 replies 15 participants last post by  QSilver7 
#1 ·
From the WDS for information.

Electronic Vehicle Immobilisation System EWS 3.3
The EWS 3.3 serves as an antitheft alarm system and enables the start of BMW vehicles.

A transponder chip is integrated in each of the vehicle keys. A ring coil is mounted about the ignition lock. The transponder chip is powered by the EWS3 control module via this coil, i.e. no battery is required in the key. The power supply and data transfer take place in the same way as a transformer between the ring antenna (coil) at the ignition lock and the transponder chip integrated in the key.

The key then sends data to the EWS3 control module. If this data is correct, the EWS3 enables the starter by way of a relay installed in the control module and additionally sends a coded start enable signal via a data link to the DME/DDE.

Components
Key with integrated transponder chip
A chip which can both transmit as well as receive (transponder) is integrated in the key. This transponder chip obtains its power from the field built up by the ring coil and uses it to communicate with the EWS3 control module. This means that no battery is necessary in the key for power supply. Every key or the transponder integrated in it is a unique part. The control module can also differentiate between the individual keys. The key transmits and receives data from/to the EWS control module.

If errors occur during communication between the EWS3 control module and the individual keys, these errors are stored in the fault memory - separate for each individual key.

Ring coil
The ring coil is mounted on the ignition lock and serves as an antenna for communication between the transponder chip (in the key) and control module.

EWS 3.3 control module
The EWS 3.3 control module communicates with the key mounted in the ignition lock. If the communication procedure is correct and the key has sent all data necessary for identification and start enable to the control module, the control module detects whether the key is valid and has been released for use. If this is the case, it releases the starter relay located in the control module and sends a coded enable signal via the data link to the DME/DDE.

The control module can manage a maximum of 10 keys allocated to the control module, i.e. a maximum of 6 replacement keys are possible.

The control module can identify the individual keys thus making it possible to disable/enable individual keys and to store fault codes for each individual key separately in the fault memory.

Data link to DME/DDE
The EWS3 control module sends a coded enable signal to the DME/DDE via the data link. The engine cannot be started before this signal has been transferred.

Engine control module (DME/DDE) with coded start enable input
The engine control module (DME/DDE) only enables ignition and fuel supply if a correct enable signal is received from the EWS control module.

EWS-DME/DDE interface
Identical variable codes are stored in the EWS 3.3 control module and in the DME/DDE control module. The value of these codes changes after every start procedure. Engine start is only enabled when the code sent by the EWS control module agrees with the code in the DME/DDE control module.

The control modules are allocated only during initial programming of the DME/DDE control module. The engine control module then adopts the basic code of the EWS control module.

Important

It is not possible to replace the DME/DDE or EW 3.3 control modules for test purposes!

In the case of certain faults, it is possible that the variable codes in both control modules deviate from each other. In these cases it is possible to calibrate the variable codes by means of the service function ”EWS - DME/DDE calibration”.

Influencing variables
P/N input for automatic transmission
Whether the vehicle is equipped with automatic transmission is defined in the coding.

On automatic vehicles, a start procedure is enabled by the EWS3 only if the selector lever is in position P or N.

The EWS3 control module receives the information with regard to the selector lever position twice:

Via a data link

Via the K-bus

If the information ”selector lever in position P or N” is sent only via the K-bus but, due to a fault, not via the data link, noticeable start delays within the range of 1 - 2 s can occur.

”Central locking secured” signal
The EWS3 control module receives this information via the K-bus.

If the EWS3 control module receives the ”central locking secured” signal from the general module, in ignition lock position 1 (terminal R), the EWS sends back a signal via the K-bus which unlocks the central locking.

Run-on time
Important

For safety reasons, the EWS3 control module features a code-dependent run-on time (approx. 10 seconds). It begins when the ignition lock is switched to 0 position. Within this run-on time start with any mechanically fitting key is enabled.

Key identification and start procedure
The following procedure takes place after inserting the vehicle key in the ignition lock:

The transponder in the key is powered via the loop antenna and sends the key data to the EWS3 control module.

The EWS3 control module then checks the key data to ensure it is correct and only then sends an enable signal to the engine management system and starter.

After the engine has started, the EWS3 control module generates new key data (change code) and transfers them to the transponder in the key.

A new variable code is also created and stored in the DME/DDE control module.

Changing individual components
Key
Replacement keys can be obtained from a sales point only via a BMW dealer where one of the 6 replacement keys fitting the vehicle is programmed. This key is not a copy of the lost key, but rather a new key.

A total of not more than 6 replacement keys suitable for the installed EWS control module can be made and handed over.

There is a noticeable start delay of 1 - 2 s when a new key is inserted in the ignition lock for the very first time. From then on, the start procedure should take place without delay.

Lost keys must be blocked by means of diagnosis. Refer to ”Special features of the diagnosis program”.

CAUTION!

Each request for a key is documented so that inquiries from insurance companies and authorities can be followed up.

Procedure for loss of all 10 keys
A new EWS control module is required if all 10 keys are lost.

By providing all the necessary data, it is possible to obtain a new EWS control module from a BMW dealer and the new transponder keys allocated to it with the previous mechanical key code.

EWS control module
The following procedure should be adhered to when replacing the EWS 3.3 control module:

Before replacing the EWS3 control module: Leave defective control module installed in vehicle and in the coding program (Encoding ZCS) select point ”1 New coding - 1 Replace control module - 1 Read out data from defective control module”. Coding data and vehicle-specific data is read out of the EWS control module with this part of the program and buffered in the MoDiC or DIS tester.

Now install new EWS 3 control module.

After replacing the control module: Encode new EWS 3 control module with coding program selection point ”1 New coding - 1 Replace control module - 2 Transfer data to new control module and encode control module”. The buffered data is now transferred and EWS - DME/DDE calibration is carried out.

Note

The procedure described above must be adhered to as all the data necessary for vehicle identification is also stored in the EWS control module. It will be necessary to do without the data readout from the old control module only if the EWS 3 control module no longer has diagnostic capabilities.

Proceed as follows in this case:

Install new EWS control module in the vehicle and encode with the encoding program and selection point ”1 New coding - 2 Re-encode control module”.

Then carry out matching with selection point ”EWS - DME/DDE calibration”.

In this procedure, the vehicle data necessary for automatic vehicle identification cannot be written to the EWS control module.

Replacement of engine control module (DME/DDE)
After replacing the engine control module, ”EWS - DME/DDE calibration” must be conducted with the coding program or in the diagnosis program.

Important

The ignition must then be switched off for at least 25 s.

Service functions
Disable/enable key
It is possible to disable or enable individual keys electronically via the diagnosis function (service functions).

Important

Electronically disabled means that both the starter as well as the engine control module are not released (enabled) for the start procedure. It should be borne in mind that an electronically disabled key still fits mechanically, i.e. all flaps, lids and doors can still be opened.

Display of keys used to date in this vehicle
Here, the display shows for each one of the 10 keys which can be managed by the EWS3 control module whether it has been recognized at least once by the EWS control module, i.e. it is possible to trace, also on older vehicles, how many keys have already been used in this particular vehicle.

See less See more
#2 ·
Key enquiry....

I just recently imported a 2004 330xi to Canada. It only had 1 remote key but I found the identical blank on EBay and had it cut locally. It programmed OK to the point where I can operate all locks and turn the ignition lights on but will not start the car. It obviously is not recognizing the transponder. My local (small) dealer says they don't require programming. They just order in preprogrammed keys from the VIN and charge you a small fortune. Did I waste my money or can a better equipped larger dealer program my new key?

#3 ·
Changing individual components
Key
Replacement keys can be obtained from a sales point only via a BMW dealer where one of the 6 replacement keys fitting the vehicle is programmed. This key is not a copy of the lost key, but rather a new key.

A total of not more than 6 replacement keys suitable for the installed EWS control module can be made and handed over.

#4 ·
BMW key fiasco with immobilizer transponder chip

I fully understand the "security" involved with not allowing your car to start if you don't have a special transponder inside your key. HOWEVER, since I own three used BMW's in my family, and the family members seem to lose keys all the time, I am not in the mood to spend a crapload of money with this goofy immobilizer system each time.

A replacement key from the dealer is $900, and from a special locksmith is $490

I can get a blank BMW key for $9 on ebay. I can get it cut from most locksmiths for $29.

Now what do I do to get a new transponder chip? they are roughly 30 cents each on china websites that sell them to the dealers. The programming chip eeprom machine is $2000

IF I COPY THE TRANSPONDER CHIP exactly, how does the EWS know it's a different chip?

Also, the immobilizer system is not a good system to protect your car from being stolen, I strongly suggest you get a real alarm system to satisfy your ability to protect your car from theft. The immobilzer will not sound and alarm when the criminals are plugged into your car's computer creating a new key for it.

thanks,
wgreville

#8 ·
I fully understand the "security" involved with not allowing your car to start if you don't have a special transponder inside your key. HOWEVER, since I own three used BMW's in my family, and the family members seem to lose keys all the time, I am not in the mood to spend a crapload of money with this goofy immobilizer system each time.
thanks,
wgreville
Easy fix: Replace family members. :rofl:

But seriously, do something about them losing keys. I've lost my keys exactly zero times.

#6 ·
hey, are you in Melbourne ?

So how do I copy the chip ?

Will the AK - 90 programmer make the ID on the chip a copy ?
or a NEW key id ?

Since we can only have 10 copies made per EWS, according to BMW.

hey, gcbm, are you in perhaps in MELB ? I am in Melbourne.

thanks,

wgreville

#7 ·
Re AK-90 Programmer

The AK-90 reads the key data from the eeprom on the EWS (you need to remove and open the EWS module). From this you can recreate any key (new or old). The only issue is that if you recreate a current working key and use both, the rolling codes will get out of sync and one of the keys will no longer work.
Check out the link below for more info...

I'm located on the Gold Coast
cheers,
Ron

#9 ·
Question

Bought a used BMW series 5 and it is missing spare/service key. Dealership informed me to come over with the two master keys I have in order to disable the missing key. Now, I have a question. Disabling this key would mark the corresponding memory entry as invalid. This will disable engine from turning on, however would that also disable the car from being opened???

#10 ·
Re keys

Bought a used BMW series 5 and it is missing spare/service key. Dealership informed me to come over with the two master keys I have in order to disable the missing key. Now, I have a question. Disabling this key would mark the corresponding memory entry as invalid. This will disable engine from turning on, however would that also disable the car from being opened???
This is what the dealer will do;

Disable the missing key in the EWS - stops the lost key from starting engine.
They will want the two remaining keys to make sure that they disable the correct one.

If the key you lost had a remote opening etc then they would also;

Do the key sync procedure with the remaining remote keys - stops the missing key from remote operation (if you search the forums you will find how to do this yourself).

#11 ·
thanks gcbm for the info

just got off a discussion with the dealership and they said otherwise. The sales manager said that he would stop the car engine from turning on, however the disabled key can still unlock the car doors???

not sure he was a technical person, however I refused his solution to my missing key problem.

however, if this is possible, I will accept it as a solution to my problem....

thanks once more...

#12 ·
Right.

Without changing the locks, the physical part of the key can turn the locks and open the doors. The ignition cylinder in the steering column has a system called EWS that talks to a chip in the key. If the dealer disables that missing key, if that key is ever found, it will not be able to start the car, but it can still open the doors manually. There is no EWS at the doors, only the ignition.

Not sure how much more we can explain it. Basic lock and key stuff here, mastered millennia ago...

#15 ·
I wouldn't waste your money. I'm extremely frustrated with my AK90. It does a decent job reading the keys and IMU for my MiniCooper 2002, but it cannot program a PCF7930AS transponder chip that is already used. OK, so the answer is to get a new one, right? Well, try doing it and you'll be frustrated too! NOBODY seems to sell these things in reasonable quantities or for a reasonable price. As a result, I decided to try to use an emulator too. :mad: That was almost as bad as the AK90 quest, maybe worse! The Chinglish directions are misleading and confusing. I just gave up on that too. I think I'll have to swallow my pride and go to the dealer to get a key. I'm not happy about it at all but I need a spare key for my (new to me) car I bought. I learned a tough lesson though.... NEVER buy a car with only one key!

#16 ·
Don't give up on the AK90 yet!

You need to be aware that a transponder chip can only be programmed once and if the process fails the chip is then useless. Also the original key (on the e46 anyway) has a soldered transponder chip while the clone keys use one that is not attached to the circuit board (so the chips will have different numbers but they function the same).

Try the following seller on ebay from who I purchased e46 blanks. He was extremely helpful and knows what he is taking about. The listing below is for a blank mini key with new transponder chip ($69) but if you are just after the chip he could probably do that as well.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MINI-BRA...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item415ee2f915

If the link is not active search ebay for seller artiway.

#17 ·
You need to be aware that a transponder chip can only be programmed once and if the process fails the chip is then useless. Also the original key (on the e46 anyway) has a soldered transponder chip while the clone keys use one that is not attached to the circuit board (so the chips will have different numbers but they function the same).

Try the following seller on ebay from who I purchased e46 blanks. He was extremely helpful and knows what he is taking about. The listing below is for a blank mini key with new transponder chip ($69) but if you are just after the chip he could probably do that as well.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MINI-BRA...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item415ee2f915

If the link is not active search ebay for seller artiway.
Thank you for your response! It is the first I have actually had from anyone on the elusive subject of transponders (which is part of the frustration). I am aware that you cannot reprogram the chips. I actually bought 'new' keys, but I don't know if they got corrupted when i tried a different programmer or if they were sold to me used. Whatever the case, that was a miserable failure.

I decided to contact your link, however. Although he wasn't able to help me, I poked around a little more and learned that the PCF7935AS should be compatible with the PCF7930AS. I say "should" because although the datasheets say this is the case, some of the dealers say it isn't so. I have decided to go out on a limb and invest *another* $28 to get 6 of these, however, in an attempt to see if the AK90 can truly produce a usable key for me. If so, I'll be a happy camper.

#19 ·
I got two keys from the dealer for less than $200. What's the big problem? They even program them for free in less than 5 minutes. There are a few things the dealer really is the only good place for, and keys are one of them.

#20 ·
The big deal is that not all dealers are that helpful or affordable. The two closest dealers to me want $250 for a new key and another $135 to program my keyless entry system to recognize them. I can do the keyless entry setup but not all users can.

#23 ·
Be aware programming is merely programming the remote locking and unlocking. Something the owner can do themselves. The programming has nothing to do with enabling the key to operate the vehicle. That's something only BMW can do. And by BMW I am not referring to the dealers.

#22 ·
BMW Mountain View, and programming is free. 15% off for BMW CCA members, too.

#24 ·
... That's a little misleading...

The physical part of the key is based on the locks installed on the vehicle. BMW uses the VIN to get this pattern and put it on a key. They also have a chip inside the key, but they're individual to the key. When the dealer gets your new key from Germany, they perform a procedure, using the old key, to tell the car to use this new key as well, for VKM. I watched them perform this procedure, and it could be done on your own. It required no tools other than the working key, and the new key. Since it was free, and they performed this before even giving me the key, I didn't care.

#25 ·
This is not 100% correct. There are two separate functions the wireless keys perform. The ability to start the car requires that the code emitted by a chip in the key match a code already stored in the EWS and DME computers. All BMWs are shipped with a total of 10 key codes stored in the EWS and the DME computers. These codes are a function of your car's VIN. When you buy a new key from BMW, their parts dept looks up your VIN to see how many of the 10 key codes have been issued. These codes refer to the identification signal emitted by the chip in the key. The chip can only be programmed once and it takes a special electronic coder to perform this function. Once 10 keys have been issued for your car, BMW dealer will tell you that you need to purchase a new EWS module and have your DME recoded. They will most likely want to charge $1000 or more for this service. There are people out there that can provide this service for less. One that I know of is RPM Motorsports in Canada. They have a web site.

The other function that does require dealer or owner setup is getting the locking and alarm system to recognize the wireless signal emitted by the keys. The dealer only needs your old key(s) when setting up the keyless entry and alarm system to recognize the new key. If the old keys are not re-entered at the same time as the new key, the system will only recognize the new key.

#27 ·
That's right. All of this is done by BMW when you order a key. I don't think 10 keys is an unreasonable limit...

#28 ·
One part, programming the key to operate the vehicle, can only be done by BMW (BMW the company, not the dealer). The other, programming the key for the remote lock / unlock functionality, can be done by the dealer or the customer.

If the customer orders a key and the dealer wishes to charge for programming just be aware the programming being referenced is the latter and not the former. It takes all of a couple minutes and requires no tools to do. Therefore they shouldn't be charging an arm and a leg to do it (IMO they shouldn't charge anything at all given how easy it is to do).

For anyone who may stumble across this thread and wish to perform the latter programming themselves here's how to do it:

http://www.xoutpost.com/81407-post1.html

#29 ·
I beg to differ with you on the "only BMW" part, sunny. *IF* you have a programmer such as the AK90, you can program the key yourself. This is exactly what I did and, yes, it works. The AK90 effectively is an In-Circuit_Emulator. It reads the EWS directly. You can even use it to reprogram an EWS to a new VIN, if you so desired. And that 10 key limit thing? Not really an issue. Sure, you may re-enable a key that is "lost" but you definitely can replicate the "old" key again, including putting the mileage into the transponder. I *absolutely, positively* know that this is possible and that it works. The only caveat is that you *must* have a new transponder chip. You cannot re-use old chips.

Programming the remote is another matter. Oddly, that is where I'm having a problem now. My 2002 Mini Cooper doesn't seem to want to accept the new remote. :-(

As for copying... You need a side milling key cutter. They are not that common but they are hardly rare. I found a guy in Redwood City (Crane Locksmith), California that could cut the keys. I actually have a CNC and tried to cut them myself but they were not reliable so I grudgingly spent an afternoon to drive up to CRane. That said, the keys work perfectly now so I'm happy. The charge was $35 when you supply your own blank. The guys there are super nice and very helpful.

#30 ·
I beg to differ with you on the "only BMW" part, sunny. *IF* you have a programmer such as the AK90, you can program the key yourself. This is exactly what I did and, yes, it works. The AK90 effectively is an In-Circuit_Emulator. It reads the EWS directly. You can even use it to reprogram an EWS to a new VIN, if you so desired. And that 10 key limit thing? Not really an issue. Sure, you may re-enable a key that is "lost" but you definitely can replicate the "old" key again, including putting the mileage into the transponder. I *absolutely, positively* know that this is possible and that it works. The only caveat is that you *must* have a new transponder chip. You cannot re-use old chips.
Then I stand corrected.

#31 ·
Apologies for reviving a dead thread, but I wanted to just confirm something. I assume the issues in this thread are relevant for other models.

I'm trying to help someone with a '99 e46 328i that had its EWS module replaced because the original suffered for some sort of liquid damage. So they got a new EWS, but obviously the car won't crank. My diagnostic set up can't even recognize the car, which I assume is due to the OBDII to 20 pin adapter I needed, and now have (I hope).

However, after reading this thread, I have learned that they need completely new keys as well; is that correct? Everything else, I should be able to do myself? Do I need the new keys to be able to perform the EWS to DME realignment?

I'm surprised the dealer sold the part without coding it to the vin and without telling them they have to get new keys for it to work.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#32 ·
No worries about reviving an old thread. If you have questions and cannot find answers, then trust me, you are frustrated and will look for help anywhere! Been there, done that!

First, please understand that I don't know everything there is about the EWS system. I have a pretty decent understanding of it, but this is from reading different posts, manuals, inference, etc. Most knowledge, therefore, is theoretical. Programming new keys is absolutely practical because I have physically made three keys from scratch; so, in that area I feel comfortable answering absolutely, otherwise it is all subject to confirmation...

OK... So my understanding is that the EWS effectively needs to be registered with the car's main computer unit. At the very least, the EWS absolutely has the VIN number embedded within it (as do the transponders within the keys). If you think about it, this makes sense. It prevents someone from simply replacing an EWS with one of their own and "stealing" the car.... So, problem #1 for you is to register your EWS with the main computer. To do this, you will likely need something like the AK90. It has a hood that covers the EWS' microcontroller, and allows you to change things like the embedded VIN. It also allows you to register the different key transponders so, no, you don't need new keys (which, by the way, was misleading... at the most you'd only need new transponders but I've just discounted that).

So, there are a few things that need to be done (#3, #4 may not be required and are covered in a following paragraph):
1. you need to pair the EWS with the car computer (never done that, but I'm sure an AK90 will be involved)
2. you need to pair the keys with the EWS (done that, definitely requires an AK90, or similar device)
3. If you want to use the remote section of the key, you'll need to register the keys with the car computer (requires DIS, or similar, connected through the OBD port... done that)
4. You'll need to pair the remote with the car (the un/lock cycle stuff you'll read about on the net... won't work until #3 is done! Done that)

Now a few considerations... First, unless you have the barcode for the keys, you will need to run an algorithm to create the data needed when registering the remotes to the car (#3). HOWEVER, if you haven't replaced the car computer, which it sounds like you have not, then the remotes probably work fine now so #3 and #4 are probably moot points).

Second consideration.... This is an old car. Do you really want to go through the effort of installing a new EWS? Another option may be to simply disable the whole thing with one of the emulators sold on fleaBay. The disclaimer here is that I bought one and couldn't get it to work, but that is before I understood the nuances of needing DIS, etc. If I were to do it again, I think I might be able to get the emulator to work. Of course, at that point any key, regardless of the transponder (or if it even has one) will work, so it might be a theft concern. However, it is an old car and, ironically, I suspect that most of the time cars are just towed away anyhow!

#33 ·
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I don't see myself obtaining the AK90 software, at least not in time to help this person out, so I assume BMW is my only answer for the keys. With new keys, shouldn't I be able to perform an EWS-DME realignment through DIS? Wouldn't that code the VIN to the EWS and make the DME and EWS work together?

Thanks again!

#34 · (Edited)
Let's cut this up into some manageable topics...

I honestly don't know if the DIS system can be used to pair an EWS to the DME. Both are capable of being accessed via OBD-II devices. Some of the higher end programming systems can pair a transponder via OBD-II, which is solely an EWS thing. Honestly, I have never understood why devices like the AK90 need to exist. They almost function as in-circuit emulators, which seems like it is way harder to develop than a pure software OBD-II based application. But I digress.... The point is, step #1 is to get those two paired. At the very least, that will likely require that the VIN be written to the EWS. Whether there is more required in the pairing is something I do not know. Your BMW dealer definitely should be able to help you there (actually, in all of this... I can't imagine they have never replaced an EWS!).

The second part of what you are asking is the transponder within the key. At *most* that is all you would have to replace, but I doubt that is even required. By definition, if they have a device that is capable of pairing the EWS to the DME (which, as I said, is definitely writing data to the EWS), then it stands to reason that they should be able to pair the transponder chip to the EWS as well. The VIN that is written into the transponder, of course, doesn't need to be changed, so I think you should be OK. To be fair, however, I can't tell you everything the AK90 does when it writes the data to the transponder chip. The only things I am sure are done are to write the key location, VIN and mileage to the transponder. If other "stuff" is also written (such as a random code) then that is unknown to me. :( That said, I would think any dealer programming system should be able to manage this...

The remote part of the key is completely different from the transponder. The remote is 'talking' to the DME, which you are not changing. Therefore, you should be fine there. I assume your remote is already working.

Final caveat... I am assuming your DME and EWS are fundamentally the same as those found in my 2002 Mini Cooper. I *think* it is but we are talking about different cars and potentially different generations of electronics so your mileage may vary.

#35 ·
I see. The remote works, it's just the EWS that's the issue. From what is written here on this thread it seems that each EWS comes with a certain allotment of possible keys and that a previously coded key cannot be made to work with a different EWS.

Replacing the transponder chip with a blank, from what you've said, seems to my only non-dealer option, but that is above my current skill and definitely out of my means ($200+ for the equipment for this one job). That and I think he wants this car done sooner rather than later and I've held him up for a whole already.

So if the dealer supplies us with a key or two, and then I manage to code/realign the EWS, it should be good, right?

I would prefer the dealer code the EWS but I wonder if they would even do that without the car present.

And here I thought this was going to be a quick 10min coding job...lol

Thanks man.

#39 · (Edited)
I see. The remote works, it's just the EWS that's the issue. From what is written here on this thread it seems that each EWS comes with a certain allotment of possible keys and that a previously coded key cannot be made to work with a different EWS.

Replacing the transponder chip with a blank, from what you've said, seems to my only non-dealer option, but that is above my current skill and definitely out of my means ($200+ for the equipment for this one job). That and I think he wants this car done sooner rather than later and I've held him up for a whole already.

So if the dealer supplies us with a key or two, and then I manage to code/realign the EWS, it should be good, right?

I would prefer the dealer code the EWS but I wonder if they would even do that without the car present.

And here I thought this was going to be a quick 10min coding job...lol

Thanks man.

You are missing one key piece of info. The dealer will only provide you with a key that is based on the car's VIN. The original EWS had codes stored in it for 10 keys based on the VIN. If you have another EWS, it will not have the proper key codes stored in it. The dealer will not be able to sell you keys for that replacement EWS unless it is coded properly. There is a company called RPM Motorsport in Canada that can do this and provide new keys far cheaper than the dealer will do it. They can probably code the EWS you have. It involves sending them the EWS and keys and I believe turnaround is about 5 working days. If you are not going to buy an AK90, this is the next best option you have. Google them and you will be able to look up the services they provide and prices.

I am basing the cost savings from the Canadian guys on comparison with the local cost for a key in NJ. I paid $230 for a key from Freehold BMW, closest dealer to me. I know this is a gross overcharge but I needed it quickly. If your dealer will charge a more reasonable rate, then maybe it is a decent option. It all depends on what they will charge for coding the EWS and the key(s). I think RPM Motorsports was about $360 for 4 keys and coding my EWS. 2 of the 4 keys were non remote keys. It has been a while since I checked out their prices. I will say that when I called them to discuss, they sounded knowledgeable.

#36 ·
The key allotment is really a little cryptic. A better statement is that the EWS can support up to 10 transponder chips. If you have a device such as an AK90, then you can reuse transponders spots (i.e. one of the 10) versus just deactivating them and configuring another. So, it isn't as though if you lost 10 keys you'd be up the proverbial creek. That is what many threads on the net imply and it is NOT true if you are using an AK90 type device. Other programming tools may be different and might not let you reuse spots.

Now for the transponder chips themselves.... Yes, the are OTP (one time programming) type devices. HOWEVER, the guys you have in your key now were clearly paired with the old EWS. I really don't know everything that is programmed into the transponder chip. If the differentiating piece of data is the VIN (which is in the chip), then your old transponder chips may well work. I just don't know... sorry! It would be nice if you could use them, though, because that means you don't need to buy anything else. And getting those chips was a major PITA! Look in this thread for a cross reference to the AS30 chips that were unobtainium for me. The replacements (AS32? don't recall) were easier to find and worked fine in the end.

There is no such thing as a 10 minute job on this EWS stuff. It is a total pain in the "big toe"! TOTAL PAIN. I had one key and a 16 year old kid I didn't trust to actually not lose the thing. I was paranoid. Now I've got extra keys and breathing easier. But for you, I'd suggest you punt and let the dealer mess with this stuff. You'll exceed the cost of the car quickly if you are providing the labor.

#37 · (Edited)
If a dealer sold you a new EWS control module...then you need to get it coded to your car. The EWS system uses an ISN (individual serial number) that is specific to each BMW based on its VIN. Whether the ISN & VIN are one in the same...I don't know....but I did notice in this thread that it was repeatedly mentioned that the VIN needed to be coded into the EWS control module...where BMW refers to an ISN that is shared between the key's transponder EEPROM, EWS control module, and DME/DDE. Take note of the 2nd paragraph in the info below on initial EWS programming as the vehicle comes off the assembly line...again, you need to have the new EWS-CM you purchased coded with the info from your car's original DME:

A new EWS-CM that's coded to your car, should have the same ISN coded to it that is already written to the DME (the DME can't be overwritten)...so if you still have spaces left (of the total of 10 keys)....then you shouldn't need new keys...the old ones will have the same ISN as the DME...and the new EWS-CM should be coded with the existing ISN from the old EWS-CM and the original DME.

The other 2 features of the remote keys are DWA (anti-theft alarm siren system) and FZV (central locking)...and as mentioned multiple times in this thread...can be done in your driveway following a simple procedure. A new key ordered through BMW will come already coded with the correct EWS ISN which only leaves DWA/FZV to be programmed.

Also, the DWA/FZV features of any BMW key with the same frequency (315 MHz in No America or 433 MHz Europe & other markets) can be programmed to your BMW...that's why the ones purchased on eBay can be programmed to lock/unlock & arm/disarm your car...but it can't be made to start your car. And the DWA/FZV features are the ones that are powered by the battery inside the key...EWS doesn't need the battery...it is self powered thru induction by a 125 KHz signal sent from the EWS-CM to the Ring Antenna to the coil inside the key which powers the EEPROM.

BMW DIS/GT-1 or some of the aftermarket software/hardware (Carsoft, INPA for example) can communicate with the BMW proprietary system to code a new EWS-CM to the car. OBD II is not the correct terminology...OBD II is the federal mandate for electronic engine emissions...and only has limited communication with only a couple of the control modules. In BMWs built from 10/2000-up...the 20 pin DLC in the engine bay was dropped and access to the car's communication BUS system is made thru the OBD II connector...but extra pins were added to the connector...and again, OBD II only has access to the TXD II lines...where as having the correct software/hardware set-up...allows access to the ALL the proprietary BMW control modules on the CAN/Diagnostic/I/K/M/P bus.

As you can see in the topological chart below...EWS is on the K-BUS and the FZV/DWA features of the remote keys is on the P-BUS (by way of the GM)...a generic OBD II scanner/reader can't access these modules unless it has been specifically designed to communicate over the aformentioned communication bus lines. That's why BMW DIS/GT-1 or aftermarket software/hardware is required.

#38 · (Edited)
QSilver,
That is a great post! Thank you! However, I disagree on one small point, although it is moot to the person asking questions about pairing the DME and EWS. The directions on the net regarding how one pairs the *remote* section of a key (i.e. not the transponder) to a car are downright misleading and wrong. Generally, they describe a sequence of lock/unlock sessions after having turned the ignition on/off within 5 seconds (or some variant thereof). Those directions do not pair the remote to the DME, they resynchronize a key that has been previously paired. A rolling code is used to ensure that a remote cannot be easily compromised. However, the remote and its seed must first be paired using DIS. This is where the barcode information that comes with a brand new remote come into play. Unfortunately, that data is generally lost and 99.9% of the keys sold on eBay do *not* have that information. Sadly, that effectively means the keys are useless. However, another member reversed engineered the algorithm (it was actually pretty simplistic) from the data provided on the label affixed to the remote's circuit board. You simply *must* use this algorithm to generate the data and input that date using DIS. Until you do that, it is not possible to pair a remote the the DME.

Now, in fairness, this absurd approach was done away with, I believe, in later model Minis. Given that Mini is owned by BMW and shares many of the same components, it is likely that later model BMWs also have a simplified (i.e. no need to use DIS) approach wherein the internet style directions do work. If I remember correctly, on the Mini line, that change was made in 2004 or 2005.

Also, the transponder has more than EEPROM in it (or, at least, it acts as such). Once the VIN is programmed into it, that data cannot be changed. Whether this is through an internal protection device or because it is PROM instead of EEPROM, I do not know. In truth, it doesn't really matter though, other than to say that you cannot reuse a transponder chip. :-( As a matter of conversation, I do know that the transponder keeps track of the mileage on the car. So, clearly there is a back path where the ring is being used to write to the transponder, not just read from it. However, that still doesn't mean it is EEPROM. It is possible, although not likely, that they are only writing new data. All of this could be confirmed by looking at the datasheet which I have somewhere in my computer. Anyhow, it makes for an interesting theoretical conversation but there really isn't much practical use in knowing that I can think of.

One last thing.... Although 10 slots are available for transponder (so 10 keys can be supported), on the 2002 Mini, only 4 slots for remotes are available within the DME. That is just a quick FYI for someone reading this years down the road...

#41 · (Edited)
... However, I disagree on one small point...The directions on the net regarding how one pairs the *remote* section of a key (i.e. not the transponder) to a car are downright misleading and wrong. Generally, they describe a sequence of lock/unlock sessions after having turned the ignition on/off within 5 seconds (or some variant thereof).

Those directions do not pair the remote to the DME, they resynchronize a key that has been previously paired. A rolling code is used to ensure that a remote cannot be easily compromised. However, the remote and its seed must first be paired using DIS. This is where the barcode information that comes with a brand new remote come into play. ...
Great post and you almost have it all understood...but I think you're getting tripped up like many owners with the 3 features in the remote key. EWS/DWA/FZV are all 3 features/systems that are incorporated into the remote keys that work in conjunction with each other, communicate with each other, but are completely different systems. :)

The first sentence in the quote above is where some confusion throws off your theory & understanding. DWA & FZV (anti-theft alarm siren system & central locking) programming of keys are controlled by the GM III (not the DME)...and yes, there's a "rolling table" of codes...but the FZV/DWA table is DIFFERENT than the table that is communicated between the EWS's rolling code table. The initialization instructions that you wrote as being "downright misleading and wrong"....are actually correct and work without any connecting hardware that needs to speak to the DME. Again because initialization for FZV/DWA is communicating with the GM III not the DME (you can also see this in the topological BUS chart that I previously posted).

In fact, you can purchase a used or new BMW key off eBay (or take a fellow BMW owners remote key and program it to lock/unlock & arm/disarm (FZV & DWA) your car by following the procedure below (from the BMW TIS)...also note that the "rolling table" is referred to...but it also explains that the communication is with the GM...not the DME for synching remote keys.

Also, either style of the keys illustrated in the instructions below can be synced to ANY other BMW model (only to lock/unlock & arm/disarm) that uses either of these two types of keys as long as the battery inside the key is charged. A problem that you can run into though is...the new style (diamond shaped) key's internal battery is soldered to the IC board inside the key...and is recharged while the key is in the ignition. If you have the older style key, upgrading to the new style key requires a method to keep the key charged so that you can lock/unlock & arm/disarm the car. :

Once again, the remote keys have THREE features:
  1. EWS - immobilizing system (Ring Antenna/EWS-CM/DME)
  2. FZV - central locking system (antenna in rear window or side window on Tourings/Receiver in C-pillar or tailgate (on e53)/GM III)
  3. DWA - anti-theft alarm siren system (antenna in rear window or side window on Tourings/Receiver in C-pillar or tailgate (on e53)/GM III)

FZV & DWA are controlled through the GM III (not the DME)

When a key (remote or non remote) is "barred"...it is being barred thru EWS to prevent it from starting the car. To prevent a remote key from locking/unlocking & arming/disarming your car...all it takes is to resync the keys using the instructions above (ignition on for 5 sec/remove and press buttons/etc) and ANY remote key that is not programmed during that session will NO LONGER have the ability to remotely lock/unlock & arm/disarm the car. And conversely...any remote key that follows STEPS 3 - 5 will now have the ability to lock/unlock & arm/disarm YOUR car. But it will no longer lock/unlock & arm/disarm the car it was previously programmed to. And this is done without any connections to to the DLC or OBD II connector to communicate with the DME. :)

Also note the WORKSHOP HINT in the highlighted gray area in the info below about EWS 3.3 ...it mentions that ANY key can be tested for "remote" operation (FZV/DWA) but to have BOTH car's set of remote keys available because when you go to reprogram the keys for each car respectively...any original remote key not at the programming session will no longer operate to lock/unlock & arm/disarm the car its made for (without another programming session where ALL remote keys are available). ;)

Hope this clears things up for you...because you have 99% of everything else to clarify the confusion for the many owners out there that don't understand EWS/FZV/DWA...especially with that AK90 aftermarket tool you have to write the ISN to a blank EWS transponder in order to have a key purchased from a non BMW dealership actually work. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.