BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New Winter Tires Rental Program

90K views 205 replies 78 participants last post by  john lance 
#1 ·
Actually, not so new as I was about to start the program last year but coincidentally the official BMW tire rental program was announced a few days before my website was ready! I thought it prudent not to compete. Now that there is no official Winter tire rental program offered with ED, I would like to let Bimmerfest members know that my program is now up and running - details at http://www.edwintertires.com - and at very affordable rates!

Winter tires, already mounted on aluminum wheels, are fitted and returned to the tire depot in Garching (close to Harms drop-off center). The original wheels are stored there too, for free, for the duration of the rental term - and other accessories including snow-chains, cell-phones, child seats and Sat-Navs will also be available.

#106 ·
I read the Wiki .... Thanks again Jon

#117 ·
Anyone offer thoughts on whether winter tires are necessary?

Sounds like most of you are picking up RWD models, but what about AWD?

I'm getting a 535xi in January, planning to drive through Bavaria/Austria.. sticking to main roads. Sounds like by the letter of the law I should have them in Austria, but does anyone think I'll really need them with X-drive & all-seasons (standard 17")?? I live in CT and have never had a problem in the snow on my 328xi with all-seasons.

Thx for the input.

#118 ·
Anyone offer thoughts on whether winter tires are necessary?

Sounds like most of you are picking up RWD models, but what about AWD?

I'm getting a 535xi in January, planning to drive through Bavaria/Austria.. sticking to main roads. Sounds like by the letter of the law I should have them in Austria, but does anyone think I'll really need them with X-drive & all-seasons (standard 17")?? I live in CT and have never had a problem in the snow on my 328xi with all-seasons.

Thx for the input.
I was pretty sure if you don't have the required winter tires and the polizei pull you over your car can be impounded on the spot.

Why risk it?

#124 · (Edited)
I just wanted to add a Foto of my car with its winter tires to this thread.

I could not have done this trip without ED Winter Tires. :thumbup:

Complete details of this part of the drive are here.

Attachments

#128 ·
Well, the legal requirement to have winter tires fitted whenever driving in wintry conditions is in force till 15th April.

Most of us living in Western Austria and Southern Bavaria though, especially if we plan to drive at higher elevations, will probably not re-mount our Summer tires till the end of April, just in case.

#133 ·
Just wanted to post and say how wonderful this service was. I did an ED from 3/3 to 3/12 and hit snow in the alps and around Munich, and was very glad to have the snow tires. Particularly after I dropped off the tires, and then went to drop off the car and had alot of trouble just pulling into the snow covered parking spot at the drop-off.

I'd highly recommend getting the tires to anyone doing an ed in the winter time, its expensive, but defiantly worth it.

#135 ·
Just wanted to post and say how wonderful this service was. I did an ED from 3/3 to 3/12 and hit snow in the alps and around Munich, and was very glad to have the snow tires. Particularly after I dropped off the tires, and then went to drop off the car and had alot of trouble just pulling into the snow covered parking spot at the drop-off.

I'd highly recommend getting the tires to anyone doing an ed in the winter time, its expensive, but defiantly worth it.
Just wanted to add what a decent bloke John Lance is!!!
My ED was 3/23, I'd been watching the webcams and seeing the snow everywhere throughout Jan and Feb, I contacted John with my dates and planed route, he told me that although 4/15 is the magical date, I would probably not need the winter tires for my trip (stayed in Germany) but to check back a few days before I left the US...
I checked back the week before and John told me the weather was looking good and I probably didn't need them...but if I got there an did to give him a call...
Excellent customer service and not a rip off merchant...I'd thoroughly recommend John/EDWinters and would definitely use him if picking up in the winter or going high in the spring...

#136 ·
Hey John.
Do you know what kind of tires you'll be getting for F10 550i sport for this winter? Maybe Pirelli winter sport?

#137 ·
Hi,
I probably wont be getting anything for that vehicle, as no doubt the cost of a set of wheels + tires for it would be in the region of 2,500 €. I would need to be sure that I have rental customers for them first!

Checking with BMW now to aski if they have ED customers likely to be needing them this Winter, then I can get a better picture.

#138 ·
It's about $1700 for a good set here.
Are there any alternatives if you decide not to carry them? Any suggestions where else I can rent them?
I think there is one scenario, although very expensive for me, whereby you would get them specifically for me and I would then buy them and have them shipped here, correct?

Please post here as soon as you make a final decision.

#139 ·
We had an *Excellent* experience with the Germans who run the tire store and John and Annette.
The turnaround time was very quick and they could not have been any nicer. Was great to have this service available- made a winter vacation POSSIBLE!-- and very recommended to anyone.
Also John is spot on with one of his hotel reservations, the Zur Post, and we can recommend the Korbis Restaurant next to it. Very nice hotel in a scenic part of town, on the right side of town when headed to the airport, breakfast included and covered parking!

#140 ·
Hi John, newbie here to pick a 328i sport wagon on Nov24. I wonder if Bavaria laws oblige cars with winter tires, how am I supposed to drive 10-15 miles to your tire depot? My dealer told me that new BMW are mounted with S+M tires, are they conform to local laws?

Thanks!

PS: since back in the states I'd need winter tires, can I buy a set of wheel/tires and leave them on car for ferrying to US?
Jim

#141 ·
What was the weather in {CITY} on {DATE} ?

http://www.wunderground.com/history...tml?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

Above is for Munich, November 1st, 2010. But clearly you can choose the location and date to suit your itinerary.

If there's no frozen precipitation, you have summer tires, and the temp is >= freezing, you'll most likely be able to travel, carefully, without significant problem. If it gets colder, it'll get dicier. If there's ANY frozen precip, then you're gonna be slip-sliding away, and not just a little. Dangerous and illegal.

Don't believe the drama queens with their stories of performance tires magically transforming from super glue to oiled Teflon simply due to cold, dry pavement. If you're a competent driver, there's little or no difference between performance summer tires and the skinny, no-traction-to-begin-with winter tires on dry pavement around freezing or higher. You won't have SUMMER levels of traction. But you'll still have the same crummy traction you'd have on a dry road using winter tires.

The issue is, if it's near freezing, then how do you know the road is really "dry"? Did fog/dew freeze on it? What if frozen precip falls while you're out? You're definitely taking a chance even if the weather / conditions are passable when you embark.

#142 ·
Winter tires mandatory according new law?

My question was if this is true, how can one drive from the Welt to tire depot? Indeed if the road conditions is dry & above freezing, do I have option NOT renting the winter tires--even at my own risks (incl. 40euros fine)?

thanks of those in the know to clarify.

jim

#145 ·
As they're new and have the required minimum tread, yes you can. At your own risk though, no self-respecting Bavarian or Austrian would use them in Winter-time, all swopping over to Winter tires for additional safety. No problem though for you if the conditions are good for the duration of your ED.

#147 ·
I plan to "Roll the dice" for my November 7th delivery.

Either conditions will be sufficient to drive my M3 w/competition pkg on the tires it comes with, or I'll leave it at the Welt. Looking at historical data, it would be rare to experience daytime sub-freezing temps or snow in the first 10 days of November in Munich or anywhere along my tentative route: Munich -> Frankfurt -> Nurburg -> Luxembourg -> Reims -> Paris. I may have to wait a couple hours until the day warms up to get going, but even a dusting of snow overnight shouldn't seriously harm my progress since it'll likely evaporate/melt before I have to get underway.

Like zinp, if it looks bad a week out, I may make snow tire reservations. My hesitation has less to do with money/hassle, than completely screwing up my itinerary, since I'd like to drop off in Paris, after a lap of the 'ring and a stop at a couple Champagne houses.

#155 ·
I plan to "Roll the dice" for my November 7th delivery.

Either conditions will be sufficient to drive my M3 w/competition pkg on the tires it comes with, or I'll leave it at the Welt. Looking at historical data, it would be rare to experience daytime sub-freezing temps or snow in the first 10 days of November in Munich or anywhere along my tentative route: Munich -> Frankfurt -> Nurburg -> Luxembourg -> Reims -> Paris. I may have to wait a couple hours until the day warms up to get going, but even a dusting of snow overnight shouldn't seriously harm my progress since it'll likely evaporate/melt before I have to get underway.

Like zinp, if it looks bad a week out, I may make snow tire reservations. My hesitation has less to do with money/hassle, than completely screwing up my itinerary, since I'd like to drop off in Paris, after a lap of the 'ring and a stop at a couple Champagne houses.
Well, I did it, on summer tires, with no problem. BUT, I got VERY lucky. I met a friend at the Nurburgring, and he stayed for several days after I left. He NEVER got on the track again, due to cold/frost/fog.

This tire rental service is great. I'd definitely arrange it if I was headed out for a trip this time of the year, again.

#149 ·
That instruction is a legal disclaimer provided by the tire depot. In practice nobody does that, I certainly never have nor do I know anyone who does, and the tire depot tell me it is not necessary but their insurance company requires them to put it into their paperwork. More 21st century beaurocratic nonsense causing confusion in our lives!

#150 ·
Hi John

We are picking up our 2012 750i on 11/29 and will remain in fairly low terrain (Garmisch P is as far South as we will go). This is ED #10 for me and I've made it around okay in November in December in past years - but that was luck. I'll watch the weather, but in the event we'll need winter tires do you have the correct fitment available for this big boat?

Thanks!

Dick

#154 ·
Hi John, I ordered 535i tires for 11/23-11/28, i need to setup paypal payment today. What do the rims look like? Thanks for the great service!

#156 ·
I have just rented winter tires for the week from 2/20/12 through 2/24/12. I also added the fee for having ED Winter Tires put the winter tires on at the Welt, and for the car to be picked at my hotel to change the tires and be delivered for transport. Does that mean that the car will be dropped off at LOGINOUT, or dropped off back at my hotel for me to drive to LOGINOUT the day before we leave? Also, do I need to make a reservation at LOGINOUT whether I drop the car off or whether John Lance's company drops the car off?

Mikla

#157 ·
I returned to the ED Winter shop a couple of hours earlier than my appointment, at 1:00 pm on Tuesday the 24th of January 2012. It took them all of about ten minutes to switch out their wheels and put my brand new Michelin Pilot Sport tires on the M3 Cab. Super fast, quite efficient. Having these tires on the car was great as we drove a few times in 2-inch snow and quite a bit of slush.

It was well worth the rental cost in peace of mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.