BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2 weeks out of CPO and water pump fails!

8K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  RBinDC 
#1 ·
Any experience in getting BMW USA to honor it? I've had issues for 3 weeks (trying to get sensors active for a SMOG test). SMOG place couldn't get sensors to come on, and during the process the car started overheating. take it to BMW and they say water pump failed and its $1500. CPO warranty expired 2 weeks ago :( They offered a discount off the work but any experience with BMW corporate on these types of things?

#3 ·
I've been there for SOME servicing, but mostly covered under the maintenance warranty which I assume they get paid by BMW anyway. They offered 20% discount off the fee ($1500 down to $1300) for the water pump. I just don't see them budging much more but want to continue to try.

#6 ·
My vanos solenoid failed at 25,000km and 1 month out of warranty I complained to BMW CEO in aust and got 20% off in repair cost

My next car is a Lexus

Tired of BMW quality TBH

#8 ·
Yeah sorry typed too quick :)

I feel your pain, but, you're outta warranty. They're pretty clear about terms.

Why not DIY?
I'm not skilled enough for that. If I'd known it was the pump I would have taken it to an independent, but as there was another issue with it that was computer related wanted them to look at both issues.

you see the arguments about leasing vs buying, well, i think with the case of BMW, they make that decision easy for you, when the cars fall apart after 5 years. they are engineered for performance not necessarily longevity.
Yeah you could be right there.

#9 ·
At least the dealer offered you something since you're not a regular customer and have not established a long standing relationship.

#10 ·
There's nothing for BMW to honor as there is no warranty on the vehicle any longer. I would however ask the dealership if BMW would perform a goodwill repair. It sounds as if the dealer is offering to help but see if they can get BMW involved as well. I had a partial goodwill repair performed on my X5. The dealer picked up 1/3, BMW another 1/3, and I the final 1/3. And I didn't buy the vehicle at the dealer (nor was I the original owner). I may have received the goodwill repair due to the low mileage. How many miles do you have on the car?

#13 ·
Next hard top convertible I buy will be a Lexus too. Or I won't buy one.... Glad I got a 6 year 75k mile extended warranty. If BMW is not careful the resell value on used BMW just out of warranty will be in the gutter. Then the used bmw buyer will buy it cheap dyi repairs and junk it if the dyi cant fix it. And it will happen

#15 ·
Next hard top convertible I buy will be a Lexus too. Or I won't buy one.... Glad I got a 6 year 75k mile extended warranty. If BMW is not careful the resell value on used BMW just out of warranty will be in the gutter. Then the used bmw buyer will buy it cheap dyi repairs and junk it if the dyi cant fix it. And it will happen
And how will this help you once the six years are over?

#16 ·
Electric water pumps only look good on paper, in reality, they are an expensive "maintenance" item compared to a mechanical pump, even if Stewart made one for these models.

#18 ·
I have a feeling, the next gen electric WP will be better and last longer. Just like the old BMW WP where the impeller were plastic and come off from the shaft (the shaft spinning but the impeller stay static, thus no coolant pressure).
The problem alot of times, this electric WP shows no sign of failure, else owner can look into that telltale sign.

If I were BMW the major concern is how lately BMW models have begin to look like LExus in driving experience (being bigger, heavier with that notorious numb electric steering). No one will put up with Lexus feel and BMW reliability period.

#21 ·
Why can't you take your car to an indy?
You never said why before.
I will save you some money for sure.

BMW and for that matter Toyota's too have water pumps that last around 50-90K miles.
The new electric ones seem to run the variable miles depending on conditions since some have reported corrison on the electrical terminals and cracks on the phenolic housing the pump runs in.
Others get significant miles out of them, just can't tell.

4 cylinder BMW mechanical water pumps on 318's almost never fail below 150K miles.

Strong suggestion is to find a good BMW indy and establish a relationship since you are not a DIY person.

Remember this is a forum where people come to learn and primarily try to get solutions to problems and some also piss and moan about issues. This isn't the norm for BMW or years ago they would have been out of business. I have owned well over 20 BMWs and have exactly one, repeat one water pump fail. That was in a highly modified non stock SC 325 that regularly had diet of 7000 rpms. When it did fail I knew it, flat bed to my garage replaced the pump out of service about 2 days cost was 40 bucks.

Think BMWs don't last?
My last BMW I sold is running just fine at 284K miles and this is an E36 M3 original engine.
Good luck with whatever solution you come up with and please post the outcome so we can all learn how this goes for you.

420-550 bucks depending where you buy it is pretty expensive for a waterpump but consider this the engine needs the most cooling when car is in stop and go traffic where a mechanical pump can't deliever it. I can see why BMW did this and it is going to be showing up in other manufactures also in the future...

#22 ·
The reason for electric WP is fuel economy. Same with alternator clutch that disengage when batt condition is considered good, thus creating batt undercharge for many who don't drive long distance.

All of these unheard off until fuel cost sky-rocket and feds impose tax/penalty on car mfg when their fleet avg doesn't meet requirements.

Latest BMW feature is shutting off engine (on non hybrid) at stop, then when you switch your right foot from brake to gas, the engine starts again. Sounds like alot of work implementing this feature (especially considering safety on situation of turning left to cross oncoming traffic) but emission and fuel saving dictates at the end.

#23 ·
The reason for electric WP is fuel economy. Same with alternator clutch that disengage when batt condition is considered good, thus creating batt undercharge for many who don't drive long distance.

All of these unheard off until fuel cost sky-rocket and feds impose tax/penalty on car mfg when their fleet avg doesn't meet requirements.

Latest BMW feature is shutting off engine (on non hybrid) at stop, then when you switch your right foot from brake to gas, the engine starts again. Sounds like alot of work implementing this feature (especially considering safety on situation of turning left to cross oncoming traffic) but emission and fuel saving dictates at the end.
Agree.

#26 ·
I had an older model MB that had a water pump that still costs $800.00-$1000.00 to replace today at an Indy. The cars ran extremely hot and fans and water pump barely worked and pumps went bye bye often. I ended up doing it myself for the cost of the water pump which I found for $200.00 aftermarket online. It definitely wasn't as good of quality as an OEM but it worked fine for a car with 200k miles. The first time I replaced it in my car took me all day. The second time I replaced it in my daughter's car (same model), only took me about 3 hours. If I followed the manual, I would have had to remove so much more but figured out some shortcuts via the forum. Now, what I was scared to death to do, I could easily knock out under 3 hours on that model. Hopefully someday this could be the same scenario for our cars. Lower pump price and more folks familiar with the job with good tips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.