BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Current cost of wheel & tire insurance

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  tcw9999 
#1 ·
I did a search and most of the postings were not recent in terms of pricing.

I am hoping to get a feel for what the up to date quotes on wheel and tire insurance on an X3 for three years would run. These policies used to be only $400 back in 2008 but now with run flats being so expensive to replace, it looks like some dealerships are quoting over $1000.00

Any recent quotes would be appreciated.

#3 ·

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. I might do it for $500-$600 but not for over a thousand.

(Ironically, in 2008 I bought two cars. I got the insurance for my wife's daily driver but did not buy it for my low usage E-93. Her car ( with the wheel and tire insurance) never had a wheel scratch, but my car (without the insurance) took a curb avoiding a women who lost control of her bicycle.)

I think I used up my bad luck with that incident and will pass also.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#4 ·
I was quoted (and paid) $1200 for 3 years. Let me know how badly I got taken. I'm not sure I even need this coverage for the roads in my area, but a combination of circumstances at the time influenced me to buy it.

I recall that it was just a little bit more for 4 and 5 years of coverage. All the more reason to think that $1200 for 3 year is ridiculous. Yet....I paid it.

#5 · (Edited)
I was quoted (and paid) $1200 for 3 years. Let me know how badly I got taken. I'm not sure I even need this coverage for the roads in my area, but a combination of circumstances at the time influenced me to buy it.

I recall that it was just a little bit more for 4 and 5 years of coverage. All the more reason to think that $1200 for 3 year is ridiculous. Yet....I paid it.
We paid about $1100+ for 5 years. With tax is over $12. How much is a nail worth. The tires cannot be repaired. There is no limit on replacement. I think a $50 deductible. I was going to buy a wheel and spare (still might) but that runs close to a $1000 or more.
I think you can cancel the policy...try canceling and re-buying. Or tell BMW others paid 1100+ for 5 years. See what happens. I would complain about it...and let them know that it will be on the customer satisfaction survey. Tell that to your SA. They do not want any negative feedback. ANY! It will cost them part of their commission.

#10 ·

I live in NY. I was dumb enough to pay $1500 for a third party 5 year, no deductible, no limit. Thought I wasted my $$ but a month in 928 miles to be exact, I had already picked up a bolt. I'm sure it could have been patched if i didnt have the warranty as I noticed it early while it still had air in the tire. But I didn't worry, just drove to my closest dealer and they gave me a new tire. By the time I got there, the bolt fell out and I'm sure I drove on a flat for atleast 5 miles.

I didn't buy my car from this dealer so they did give me a minor issue as they claimed they never heard of this warranty company before and they were "out of loaners" as it would take all day to "fix" the tire as they have to get payment first from the insurance company before they would release the car back to me. I was already late for work dealing with this nonsense after waiting for 2 hours. Got frustrated and told them to just charge my CC and give me back my car! With that being said they took my CC info but would only charge me if they couldn't get payment from the insurance company. By the end of the day I got confirmation the dealer got paid from the insurance company. I'm pretty sure it was the dealer who caused the delay because I had already notified the tire insurance company I was going to the dealer and all the Warranty company needed was an invoice from the dealer as they already approved my new tire even before I went to the dealer. (Also, I haven't heard good things about this bmw service station) I really was expecting it to be in and out. The bill came out to $466 after everything!! I have 19inch tires

In the end I feel the warranty was worth it as I have 5 years of worry free driving! All depends on where you live. If I live in Florida or Cali where the roads are near perfect I wouldn't get it. Living in NY my tires and rims are covered. I hope to pick up a flat every 5 months on each tire so I never have to pay to replace them for 5 years lol. ;)

#12 ·

The other reason I bought it was for the rim insurance. The tires I can get patched for $$25 via plug patch. But if I hit a pothole which I do all the time in NY then I'm screwed with these 19 inch rims.

#13 ·
Ok, I'm going to confess here as well, I just paid for this on my deal this week for the 2013 535i GT I leased for 36 months. It adds $30 to the monthly payment but I was a little freaked out over reading a few horror stories on the forum. I already had in mind that I would try to get insurance and in my mind it was worth $20 to $25 a month.

The GT has 20" wheels with the M Sport package and the corresponding run flat tires. I have a coworker that has the run flats on her Corvette (and she has a lot of issues with them) so I did a quick price check and a single tire is going to be in the $400 up range in this area.

So here's why I did it: On the last three cars that I drove off the lot, each of them had to have a tire replaced within 3 months. I know, crappy luck, but if that happened with the GT I would be in for half the policy cost.

The other reason is that I am moving to a new house in two weeks. Only half of the development is up so it will be about 2 years before all homes are completed. I can't believe the number of sharp objects I have found walking around the neighborhood, from nails and screws to just odd pieces of cut metal. It also just not homes being built but the roads, sewers, etc have to go in as well.

I did a lot of research and felt like I got the pricing where I was happy on the car but was not prepared for the tire/wheel insurance portion. If anyone is considering a new BMW anytime soon, would be good to research this before sitting down to sign paperwork.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.