BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Only a Week and In thrilled! Tint Q pls.

2K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  328Xi-2011 
#1 ·
I purchased my 2011 328ix a week ago. I should have done this 30 years ago! I am understanding fully what the BMW fever is all about. What a blast and a joy to drive this fine car.

I am getting a tint this Monday. I'm a little worried about the shop taking the doors apart and taking out the glass but I know they are a very good shop and have done this thousands of times. I guess I just want everything to be a tight and firm as it was when I drive it in.

Once the doors come apart to they have a tendency to go back together just a fresh as the were? That's my only concern as the car is so extremely solid in the fit/finish.

Nice to be here in this fine forum.

Kevin

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I purchased my 2011 328ix a week ago. I should have done this 30 years ago! I am understanding fully what the BMW fever is all about. What a blast and a joy to drive this fine car.

I am getting a tint this Monday. I'm a little worried about the shop taking the doors apart and taking out the glass but I know they are a very good shop and have done this thousands of times. I guess I just want everything to be a tight and firm as it was when I drive it in.

Once the doors come apart to they have a tendency to go back together just a fresh as the were? That's my only concern as the car is so extremely solid in the fit/finish.

Nice to be here in this fine forum.

Kevin
Just for fun and, why not? Drive a M3. Result?

#4 ·
It depends on the shop
It depends on the person doing the work
It depends on whether the person doing the work has had an argument with his wife the night before, or not, and whether or not he got laid.
It depends on the phase of the moon at the time of repair...folks behave a bit more strangely about the time of the full moon.

#5 ·
I just had my 335 done by a local shop. It's my 3rd car having done by them. Each one has gone back together perfectly.

Someone who takes doors apart all day every day for his job is going to have a better chance than anyone else to do it right.

I wouldn't worry about it.

#8 ·
They put in felt so the tint doesn't get scratched when you roll the windows up and down.

Any good shop does, anyway.

Here's mine with 20% all the way around.

Attachments

#9 ·
Beautiful car, just like mine! My tint job was done without taking doors apart, which I was worried about doors being taken apart too until I asked to see how they were going to tint my windows and they took me out to see how they were doing another customers tint. I would not want anything loose and not put back identically to pretint condition. It is a reputable shop locally, in fact the owner of my dealership has all his and any customers done in this shop. I felt confident to use them after doing some research and talking to people. My tint has lifetime guarantee. Best of luck!

#11 ·
Window removal . .

Thanks guys, great pics of your cars. I appreciate the shared photos. It will give me an idea what to expect tomorrow.

As a side note the shop doing my car actually removes the glass from the car to do the tinting. Seven years ago when I had another car done there (non BMW) they also removed the glass from the doors. I had no idea that was their procedure until I booked this next tint job with my current E90. I sort of wished I didnt ask. ;)

They did an outstanding job years ago on my other car and have a great reputation I feel pretty good about it but still I don't like the idea of anyone taking the doors apart . .

The more I drive this car the more outstanding it is feeling.

Thanks again
Kevin

#12 ·
Thanks guys, great pics of your cars. I appreciate the shared photos. It will give me an idea what to expect tomorrow.

As a side note the shop doing my car actually removes the glass from the car to do the tinting. Seven years ago when I had another car done there (non BMW) they also removed the glass from the doors. I had no idea that was their procedure until I booked this next tint job with my current E90. I sort of wished I didnt ask. ;)

They did an outstanding job years ago on my other car and have a great reputation I feel pretty good about it but still I don't like the idea of anyone taking the doors apart . .

The more I drive this car the more outstanding it is feeling.

Thanks again
Kevin
That sounds really expensive and unnecessary.

#13 ·
I've had it done with glass in place by guy who does a phenomenal job in sun country and so far it has lasted. Key is to let the car bake in the sun after it is done and dry completely. Do not roll down windows for those baking days and you have a better chance of having a lasting job.

#15 ·
Tint shops don't remove the glass or take apart your door panels.

#17 · (Edited)
Well they are wasting time.

A good shop will invest in good equipment.

They have tint cutters that automatically cut the tint to the exact size of the window, then you just apply it to the glass. You just peel back the felt liner in the door panel and tuck the tint under. The bottom edge is cut so it will NOT go above the felt liner and catch on it, pulling it back.

Sure you can remove all the panels etc, but you can apply tint without removing the panels...or the glass for that matter.

#18 · (Edited)
Not sure about those guys tinting your car, every car I have ever had they never had to take the door panels off or anything to tint it. All done by hand with basic tools, no special tools needed.Even on my 2006 BMW 330xi The tint goes all the way to the edge of the glass and the guys never took my doors apart. It cost me $125. 5% tints on every window. I always go to this place as the tints last without peeling or any issues. I dont think I have ever seen a shop that takes off the door panels.

I would go to another shop if someone told me thats how they tint windows. That is completely unnecessary. A good window tint applier will never take the door apart or glass out.:thumbdwn:

#19 ·
I thought it was odd as well. If they didnt have such a strong reputation I would have checked other shops out. Another reason I stuck with them was the fact that they did my other car 7 years ago and it was very well done. Back then I had no idea rhey removed the glass either. But yes I agree I was very suprised to find out they removed the glass . . it does seem a touch over the top.

#22 ·
I do not understand this thread at all, why are you under the impression this tint shop is taking apart your door? That has to cost a fortune in labor alone, I have never heard of such a thing. Obviously anyone who thinks they take the door apart to tint windows has never taken a door apart, it is a pain in the ass. For a tint shop to take a door apart of many different makes and models all day every day, one technician could only do two cars in a day tops. And to me that sounds expensive and ridiculous, if I were one of you who think they disassemble the whole door I would call that place back and try to get a better understanding of their process. And if they still tell you the same thing ask to watch, take photos and post them on this thread because that's what it would take for me to believe this nonsense.

#23 ·
I know it does seem excessive. They explained on the phone when I called in for the quote that they do this for all tints. The glass come right out of the car I guess. Id like to be there to see this but my workload just doesnt allow for it. The tint shop has been around here a long time and I have yet to find even one complaint against them. My cost is going to be what it was nearly 7 years ago when they did my other vehicle. Roughly $350 for 5 windows. Lifetime warrantee. I really wish they didnt do it this way as I want all doors to be as solid as they were when I drove it in. But again going back to the car I had done years ago (Lincoln) it was flawless work and I had no idea they removed the glass. This place has been in business for many years and have several locations in this region, they must be doing something right. Seems crazy tho I agree w you.

#27 ·
Answer given

I picked up my car this evening. I talked to the owner about the glass removal. He stated that in all cases of the glass being channel set his shop will remove the glass to ensure a full and trouble free coverage. He also stated in the case of the glass being exposed on the edges (non-framed) they will most likely tint without removal. I have to say the job looked stunning. Just as my Lincoln did 7 years ago (which was also channeled glass)

Hope this helps answer the question some. It sure made sense to me.

Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.