BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Good Replacement Batteries for the e39?

208K views 250 replies 62 participants last post by  540 M-Sport 
#1 · (Edited)
My car seems to have a weak BMW-brand battery. Messing around with a DICE install couple days ago, I listened to the stereo without cranking the engine, and with doors open and cabin lights on for 20-25 minutes....maybe twice the same day. That night I left the DICE plugged into the CD-changer connections in the trunk. Don't know if that mattered....

Yesterday car would not turn over, even once.... just a click. The battery charge indicator is normally green but this time it was black ("insufficiently charged") and would only run the instrument/cabin lights etc. The diagnostic test (#9 ) on my high cluster showed a voltage of 11.6V (with engine off). Normally (when I haven't been mucking around in the cabin with accessories on for half an hour....), the test #9 voltage is 12.6V off, 13.8V with engine running.

I jumpstarted the car, drove it around for about an hour last night and confirmed it had that test#9 12.6V reading (13.8V with engine running) when I got home. This morning, opened the trunk, battery indicator is still in the black (forgot to check last night), and test #9 shows 12.1V. However, the car cranked right up, so I let it idle again for about 10 minutes, shut it down, test #9 reading was 12.5V. Indicator still in black.

I decided to pull the battery from the car and do some basic maintenance (top up with distilled water). I couldn't find any obvious dates on the labels and after peeling back the top stickers, discovered the cell "caps" are not removable, just hard plastic flush-fit inserts that will probably crack if I try to pry them out.

Not sure how to date the BMW battery. It has a long code in the top middle, along the edge, reads "DB0402172006." Manufacturer bar code label says Mfg. by DBMC Winston-Salem, N.C."

Aftermarket choices I have locally for replacement...

Local 49-DL from Autozone is $95 + core fee of $12.
Everstart battery from local Walmart is $77.

See less See more
#55 ·
While Consumer Reports never tests the Group 49 battery as it is not very common, I can say from reviewing their report, that the WalMart Maxx batteries appear to have a more consistent test record with CU as far as life and performance....so the nod goes to them, over the Duralast.

My own experience is the East Penn batteries are terrific. Harder to find and more expensive though.

#66 ·
While Consumer Reports never tests the Group 49 battery as it is not very common, I can say from reviewing their report, that the WalMart Maxx batteries appear to have a more consistent test record with CU as far as life and performance....so the nod goes to them, over the Duralast.

My own experience is the East Penn batteries are terrific. Harder to find and more expensive though.
Well, after 6 months and a couple weeks, my "new" Duralast today bit the dust. I concede it didn't have the best of possible worlds in my 528i. I haven't been driving the car that much through the winter, maybe a 2-3 times a week, 15-20 miles at a stretch. But I was watching the voltage with the high-cluster test #9, which consistently reported 13.8 V with the engine running and 12.4 V with it off. I also routinely put the car on my battery tender whenever I let it sit for more than 4-5 days.

Today the key button wouldn't unlock the car and when I manually unlocked the driver's door, the speakers started blaring a wimpy stuttering buzz and the instrument panel had no light at all. Measured the voltage on the battery with my handy digital multimeter: 5.9 V. Dead as a doornail, in my book. Autozone had my purchase on record and told me to just bring it in for a replacement. Did that right away, bolted the new one in and measured a charge of 12.6 V in the car. Sure hope this one lasts but now I'm wondering, maybe I'd better check for possible sources of parasitic drain.
I concur for East Penn. Deka batteries FTW. Exact fit: 649MF. My car is a DD, and I drive it from temperatures ranging from +30°C to -40°C (sometimes lower). That's +86°F to -40°F. Haven't had surprises so far. A bit more pricey, but you get what you pay for. And I'm to poor to buy cheap. Application guide

#56 ·
I just purchased a Duralast DL-49 from autozone for 98.99 with a 10% discount and a 12.00 core charge. The battery is great car starts better and idles smoother. It is slightly shorter than the battery i removed which was a black battery with no label. Other than that it fit perfectly. I got offf work went to start the car and got nothing but tick tick tick. Jumped the car off drove to the gas station filled up the car got in and tick tick tick again. My battery was toast I shot to autozone instantly and bought the DL-49 had it three days and im happy.

#58 · (Edited)
By whom? Consumer Reports tests batteries, and in their most recent test, Duralast was not #1 in any size. They came in #2 in two instances. In all cases, the top spots where AGM batteries when available in that particular size (absorbed glass mat, sold under the Sear Platinum, Optima, and East Penn under the Intimidator lines). When an AGM battery was not available, the best rated conventional battery was most often the Walmart Ever Start Maxx battery.

Duralast is not a terrible battery in general....most were in the upper end of rankings...but in a couple case they were at the bottom. CR does test several examples from various places around the country to hopefully get a fair sampling.

#59 ·
only 2 years old!!!!

Just pulled out my Interstate Battery from the trunk since it's been DEAD and can't hold a charge, and realized it's only 2 years old! I'm like WHAT!~?!?@!?@?!
I've never seen a battery die that quickly, and what I've noticed is that whoever installed it in the past have not put the draining tube on it :-| could that be a reason of it dying?

I'm about to install my new DURALAST :) but waiting for my hands to unfreeze since it's 15 degrees outside!
Below is a couple of the old and new battery

Attachments

#60 ·
The AAA guy that replaced my battery mentioned that Interstate batteries were no longer made in America. Something about Johnson Controls too but I was freezing my tail off and he was babbling on about this and that.

The lack of a vent tube shouldn't cause the battery to do anything weird electrically but it can lead to corrosion inside the battery box if not vented properly.

#61 ·
I just got done installing the new Duaralast; it's about an 1/8 of an inch wider than the interstate battery so it fitted just exactly, I had to run the drain tube along with the top of the battery but as soon as i connected the negative pole my trunk light went on which put a huge smile on my face, I turned on the car for 2 minutes, made sure all electrical are working... Everything seems well beside when I lock the car i lost the beautiful BMW "beep" sound but it still locks normally!
So overall, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! Let's see how it's gonna run now...

#63 ·
Congrats on the Duralast. You will like it.
Keep warranty info in the glovebox (all you need is your cell phone #, this is how Autozone warranty works).
I am on the 3rd year with the Duralast and it starts perfect even when it is -10 deg F and wind blowing 40 mph!

#64 · (Edited)
Good choice on the Duralast, I put one in 8 years ago and it's still going strong with only weekend driving.

I'd stay away from Sears Diehard as I had issues with them on another car. 3 Diehards didn't last more than 1 year each on that car. Although that battery was only half the size of the E39s!! But then again, that car was only half the size and had only 1/4 the electronics!

#65 ·
Well, after 6 months and a couple weeks, my "new" Duralast today bit the dust. I concede it didn't have the best of possible worlds in my 528i. I haven't been driving the car that much through the winter, maybe a 2-3 times a week, 15-20 miles at a stretch. But I was watching the voltage with the high-cluster test #9, which consistently reported 13.8 V with the engine running and 12.4 V with it off. I also routinely put the car on my battery tender whenever I let it sit for more than 4-5 days.

Today the key button wouldn't unlock the car and when I manually unlocked the driver's door, the speakers started blaring a wimpy stuttering buzz and the instrument panel had no light at all. Measured the voltage on the battery with my handy digital multimeter: 5.9 V. Dead as a doornail, in my book. Autozone had my purchase on record and told me to just bring it in for a replacement. Did that right away, bolted the new one in and measured a charge of 12.6 V in the car. Sure hope this one lasts but now I'm wondering, maybe I'd better check for possible sources of parasitic drain.

#68 · (Edited)
East Penn battery

So I just performed a load test on my 4.5 year old East Penn conventional type group 49 battery....and the results are over 900 CCA. This is above its rating!

I continue to be impressed with this product. http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/0379.pdf

They also make an AGM or absorbed glass mat version, which has an even longer claimed life.

#72 · (Edited)
Thanks.

It looks like I'm not the first person to have found that Autozone doesn't show it as a 'direct' replacement, e.g., this E46 2009 forum thread:
- DIY: Battery Replacement (Duralast 49-DL)

Googling further, I found out, (confusingly) I think, 'why' two references (Autozone's web site & the excellent battery list here) say the Duralast 49-DL "doesn't fit".

This Roadfly thread from 2005 says it's the LENGTH that's different:
- Duralast Battery Question

squenton said:
as far as fitting properly...there are two positions for the battery hold down...so if the battery isn't quite as long as the BMW OE battery...just use the 2nd alternative position...
While this thread says it's the HEIGHT that's different:
- Duralast 49DL battery install - Advice please

BTW, I wasn't sure if this 2008 list below would work, simply because it's for the M5 (which I don't know whether it's different); but the list has the dimensions of the various batteries:
- Summary of battery replacement options

Unfortunately, for the Duralast 49-DL, he didn't list all the dimensions; but the Autozone site does:

• Battery Height: 190 mm - 7 1/2 inches
  • Battery Length: 353 mm - 13 15/16 inches
  • Battery Width: 175 mm - 6 15/16 inches
justin13 said:
Just thought it would be a good idea to summarize the alternatives for replacing your battery. The following is a list of possibilities based on my research over the past 2 days (M5 board and internet) with the criteria being the dimensions of the battery:

BMW replacement: $225+ (through stealer). My indy is selling me one for $205 and they can be found under $200 w/BMW car club discount. Many stealers will charge well above $250 so beware. 850CCA 15-9/16" x 6-15/16" x 7-1/2" 62 lbs.ffice
ffice" />

Interstate H9-110VW (MTP-H9): $205. Same dimensions as BMW replacement. Just spoke to Interstate today and this battery has just recently become available for public sale (no more VW issues) but most shops and even distributors don't know that. Interstate's customer service had to call my local distributor to advise them of this. 850CCA 15-9/16" x 6-15/16" x 7-1/2" 63.9 lbs.

Batteries Plus Werker 95R-LI: $179. This battery has the same dimensions as the replacement. 850CCA 15-9/16" x 6-15/16" x 7-1/2" 64.5 lbs.

Interstate MTP-93: $125-$150. This battery is slightly smaller than the replacement; about 1" shorter length wise and .50" shorter in height. Requires that improvised spacers are used to ensure exact fit. 850CCA 14-3/8" x 6-7/8" x 7-1/5" 45.7 lbs.

Optima 34R: $135-150. This battery is about 5.5" shorter length wise and about .25" higher. Requires that improvised spacers are used to ensure exact fit. 800CCA 10" x 6-7/8" x 7-13/16" ? lbs.

Odyssey 1700: $296. This battery is about 2.5" shorter length wise and .50" shorter width wise but is same height as replacement. Requires that improvised spacers are used to ensure exact fit. 875CCA 13" x 6-1/2" x 7-1/2" 60.9 lbs.

Duralast 49-DL: $85-97. 850 CCA approx dimensions: 13-7/8" x ? x 7" 46 lbs.

Duralast 95R-DLG: $??? According to the web site this is not available, but it was at some time. Might still be available in stores. 850CCA 15-9/16" x 6-15/16" x 7-1/2" 63.9 lbs.

Exide Premium 49-60: $90 This battery is about 1.5" shorter than the replacement. Requires that improvised spacers are used to ensure exact fit. 850CCA 14" x 6-7/8" x 7-7/16" ? lbs.

Sears Die Hard 49: $130. This battery is slightly smaller than the replacement; 1.25" shorter length wise and .50" shorter in height. Requires that improvised spacers are used to ensure exact fit. 805CCA 14-5/16" x 6/7/8" x 6-7/8" 52 lbs.

Consequently, the only models that match the size specs of the BMW replacement are the Interstate H9-110VW (MTP-H9) and the Batteries Plus Werker 95R-LI.

There are other batteries out there that will work, but these are the ones most often discussed and appear to be the closest in size and specification to the OEM battery. With all the battery talk of late I thought this might help those in the market (or soon to be) for a new battery.

BTW, the Exide web site shows four outside-vented batteries which purport to fit my E39:

• Exide Classic 49-60 (850 CCA)
  • Exide Classic 94R-60 (730 CCA)
  • Exide Global Extreme L4/94R-E108 (790 CCA)
  • Exide Global Extreme L5/49-E108 (900 CCA)

Attachments

#73 ·
Duralast Autozone watch coupons!

#74 ·
Current price of the Autozone Duralast 49-DL out here is:

• $105 + $8.66 tax ~= $114 (+$12 core refunded on return of old battery)
I googled for Autozone coupons, and, well, it found tons, but, clicking on a few, they seem to have a catch.

Where do 'you' get the coupons when you need 'em (like now)?

Attachments

#75 · (Edited)
Wow Bluebee...that was some really good detective work...you found my old 2005 RoadFly post. :) As far as if the 49 class size battery fits in a BMW...I've used a Duralast 49 D or DL in my 91 735iL, 95 525iT, 97 740iL, & 99 540iT...and never had one issue or problem with fitment or problems with power.

FYI: Batteries Plus no longer sells the "Werker" name brand...they now sell the RAYOVAC brand name. So if you're looking for a replacement battery at Batteries Plus...you'll be looking for a Rayovac 49/H8 or 95/H9 battery.

As far as replacement batteries go...I would just sum it up by suggesting to look for any 49/H8 or 95/H9 battery class size that fits your use/finances/location. These are the batteries that generally have the specs and approx width/height to power our cars...as well as having the proper venting ability (either from the top center or from the side like the oe battery).

There are basically 2 battery manufactures in the USA that makes all the battery brands (EXIDE & Johnson Controls)...just take note of the battery specs:
  • RC - reserve capacity
  • AH - amp hour
  • CA - cranking amps
  • CCA - cold cranking amps

As it has been stated many times before...there are multiple location in the battery tray to secure the battery depending on its length...and it is the battery clamp down thingy that secures the battery...not the brace that goes across the top of the battery. In fact, I believe there is a "cover" that goes across the top of the battery that the "brace" (that some seem so concerened about) supports.

This is a Duralast 49 DL that I installed in my 99 540iT in Jan/2010. Just as everyone else has done...it was secured using the battery clamp down in the middle hole...and the battery is secure & doesn't move fore/aft or up/down...and yes, the brace across the top doesn't touch the battery at all and doesn't really need to because the hold down clamp does its job fine. :)

(you can see the small sponge/foam "squares" that are on the underside of the brace in the pic below...they touch the battery but offer no support of any kind)

#76 ·
Although I've seen enough comments on other batteries (the Interstates and East Penns etc, even Walmart's) that I wouldn't pay Autozone's price again, when my first 49-DL died it was nice to find that the local Autozone will readily honor the warranty and had my purchase record in their database. Another thing is that they fortunately didn't have any confusion when it came to which Duralasts would work. When I bought the first one, they already knew the 49-DL would work, and that's what they had in stock and recommended. So much for the website....

The battery compartment in an e39 trunk has two or three screw holes for the bottom clamp, to handle batteries of different lengths. When I bought my 49-DL, it looked "close enough" dimensionally that I didn't even bother measuring. One thing I did notice is, it's somewhat lighter than the original BMW unit.

#78 · (Edited)
What specific gravity test tool do most of you use to test your battery?

I wouldn't pay Autozone's price again
What is cheaper?

I can't find anything cheaper yet, at least by calling all the local stores:

• Autozone
  • Kragen (owned by O'Reilly)
  • O'Reilly
  • Napa
  • Pep Boys
The battery compartment in an e39 trunk has two or three screw holes for the bottom clamp, to handle batteries of different lengths.
I took my battery out today, and I see what you mean; it looks like there is plenty of room for shorter-length batteries than the BMW battery.

it's somewhat lighter than the original BMW unit.
I see what you mean; it was difficult to get out of that deep trunk compartment!

My BMW battery is 720 CCA; I think the Duralast is more so I'm surprised it's lighter.

Picked up the duralast 49-DL today at autozone.
I don't make decisions that easily. I am still debugging mine. I took the vent caps off. Added 15 ml to most of the cells; had to add 60 ml to one and 30 ml to another though. Then I charged it for a few hours. Pegged the needle at 6 amps for about an hour; then dropped down to 3 or 4 amps.

From googling, I find that most American batteries are made by three companies:
- Consumer Reports: Car Battery Buying Guide

consumer reports said:
Most auto batteries are made by just three manufacturers:

• Delphi
    • ACDelco
    • & some EverStart batteries (Wal-Mart)
  • Exide
    • Champion
    • Exide
    • Napa
    • & some EverStart batteries
  • Johnson Controls Industries
    • Diehard (Sears)
    • Duralast (AutoZone)
    • Interstate
    • Kirkland (Costco)
    • Motorcraft (Ford)
    • & some EverStart batteries
My BMW battery seems to be made by "DBMC, Winston - Salem, North Carolina", which turns out to be Douglas Battery, which is the OEM battery manufacturer for BMW, in America (apparently).

BTW, I couldn't find a battery chart on the Costco website; but I did find this chart on a private web site that agreed that Costco doesn't list the available batteries online as of February 2011:
- Costco California, Kirkland Auto Batteries, summary

Unfortunately, they don't seem to have the group 49 battery.

Since Johnson Controls Industries makes the vaunted Duralast 49-DL, I will probably pick one up tomorrow if the battery fails the specific gravity test.

BTW, what specific gravity tester do most of you use (since I have to buy one tomorrow)?

Attachments

#79 ·
BlueBee

Firestone tire shops have the Interstates and occasionally have coupons for $10 off.

From what I've seen, Walmart Everlast is usually $20-30 cheaper than Duralast (here, in Eugene....). Core probably doesn't even matter....

BatteriesPlus stores would have the East Penns, you might want to ask but they were the most expensive choice here.

Knecht's had the cheapest 49-class battery ($62) when I last checked a few months back. That one even had the "eye."

If warranty matters (in my case the Autozone premium paid off), juggle your options. Also, if you find the Duralast or equivalent cheaper, Autozone -might- price-match. They've reportedly done that for some folks.

#81 ·
The problem with the research above is that I'm typing my vehicle (2002 BMW 525i sedan) into their battery locators, which only give me the BMW-official sizes (apparently).

So, it's hard to compare prices with the (slightly off-size & cheaper) Duralast 49-DL equivalent batteries, simply because they don't show up in any of the searches.

Of the batteries that do show up, the only one that is close to the Duralast in specs & price is:

• $105 + 9% tax, Bosch 49-850B, 850 CCA, 140 reserve minutes (Pep Boys)
  • $105 + 9% tax, Duralast 49-DL, 850 CCA, 150 minutes reserve capacity (Autozone)
Of course, now that I've exhausted the 'proper' battery searches, I should then do the more generic search suggested by QSilver7:
QSilver7 said:
look for any 49/H8 or 95/H9 battery class size
I see also someone by the name of "Q" (BMW CCA Member #191509) has a thread on bimmerboard.com suggesting the same thing! :)
- You can use any 49/H8 or 95/H9 battery of your choosing...there

#84 · (Edited)
Weird. They are made in the US, and I had some hard time sourcing it here in Canada......The seller told me they imported them from the US? :dunno:

P.S. From their site:

Export Sales
East Penn exports its products to virtually every corner of the globe. Contact us with your requirements so we may send a quote. Please note: Minimum factory shipment requirements are one pallet load. For best freight rates, container quantities are suggested. Thank you for your interest.
For export information into the Caribbean, The Bahamas, Central and South America, please contact:
American Battery Company
a division of East Penn Manufacturing Co., Inc.
2800 S.W. 4th Ave. Unit #20
Ft. Lauderdale FL 33315
Phone: 954-467-8967
Fax: 954-467-8973
Email: dekabatteryftlauderdale@dekabatteries.com

For export information for the rest of the world, please contact our Headquarters address:
East Penn Manufacturing Company, Inc.
Export Sales Department
Deka Road
Lyon Station, PA 19536 USA
Main Phone: 610-682-6361
Customer Service: 610-682-4231
Fax: 610-682-4781
Contact Us

#87 ·
If shopping for a battery at Walmart...they usually sell 2 batteries that will work...either the Everstart Maxx 49 or Everstart Maxx 94R....and they usually sell them for somewhere between $75-$79.

Yes, I did say look for a 49/H8 or 95/H9 battery class size...sometimes you will find that a vendor is selling a 48 or 94R battery class size...those sizes will work as well. The specs for the 48/94 will usually be slightly less...but they will still work. And then 48/49/H8 batteries are usually vented from the top center whereas the 94/95/H9 batteries usually are side vented:

#88 ·
they usually sell them for somewhere between $75-$79
As always, this is great information from Saint Q himself!

I couldn't find prices anywhere near those!

The (unintuitive) trick, of course, is NOT to look for a battery for your specific car, but, to look for those battery sizes that are known (empirically, by others) to work!

Is this the right list of 'sizes' known to work?

• Group 49/DIN H8
  • Group 95/DIN H9
  • Group 48
  • Group 94R
BTW, I did check Walmart, but only from their web site (which was useless for automotive batteries) and from calling a couple of stores nearby:

• Walmart, 777 Story Road, San Jose, 408-885-1142
  • Walmart, 5502 Monterey Hwy, San Jose, 408-363-9050
In hind sight, it was a waste of time 'calling' Walmart. They kept sending me over to the sporting & outdoor departments, and nobody would answer. I finally gave up. (Perhaps I should have 'visited' them.)

BTW, the 'venting' on the Duralast 49-DL is, shall we say, somewhat 'problematic'.

See details in this thread:
- Pictorial discussion of charging, testing, removing, & replacing the BMW E39 battery

By way of summary, here is a picture of my original somewhat rigid BMW vent which is designed for a side-vented battery:

Here is a sequence that shows, if you're not careful, that you can quite easily crush the flexible hose between the heavy battery and the plastic box jutting out just at the wrong point of the battery compartment!
For the record, these next pictures show why, I think, Autozone shows the Duralast 49-DL as NOT fitting the BMW E39:

#89 ·
Megatron For the win... We all need a little deceptacon In our bimmers

interstate is the best hands down... regardless of price or where you get it from....

we should move this to ... "where can i get the cheapest interstate" from

i still cant believe you guys put recycled auto-zone and advanced auto garbage in your 70K bmw

#91 ·
i still cant believe you guys put recycled auto-zone and advanced auto garbage in your 70K bmw
Really?! My recycled Autozone 49-DL is nearly 9 years old now and still going strong. The OEM BMW lasted only 5 years.

The only recycled crap I'd stay away from are the Sears Diehard. Went thru 3 Diehards on another car within a 6 yr period!! Even 20/20 did a special report on that practice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.