BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

WTB: e30 or e36

1K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  kelqutub 
#1 ·
Yo whats up, Im new to the forums. I drive an e90 328. Currently lookin for an e30 or e36. Its gotta be a coupe and manual. Doesent matter about anything else. Running or not, good condition or bad, anything is fine. Thanks.

#5 ·
Hahaha sorry. U can tell im a newb.

Ive been searching my tail off and cant seem to find any e30s for my price. A local guy pm'd me from craigslist and I was about to pick up his 4 door 5 speed e30 for $850. But it came the day to check out the car and has not answered my million calls and texts :thumbdwn: guess he sold it :\

I guess I should wait a couple of months to pick up one for about 2500. Thought someone might help me find a good listed one. Planning on swapping a e39 540i v8 into it. And rebuilding the car. Thanks anyways.

#9 ·
A v8 powered e30 is quite an ambitious project. I would suggest starting with an M5x (24 valve) powered e30 and if that doesn't have enough power for your taste you can always sell it. At least you would have the experience to tackle the v8 project after the M5x swap. There is a guy on this forum who is selling an S54 powered e30 in the classified section. The problem is that after spending a lot of money he still doesn't have it running so he is just trying to unload it.

#14 ·
what do you ultimately want do with the car? is it just a side project?

I like the e30 because (rust aside) I find it simpler to work on.
I want to be able to drive it for about 6 months and fix cosmetic issues. After that I want to swap out the engine for a e39 540i v8. Not sure what the name of the engine is, I think m60. Im probably wrong though.

#15 ·
out of curiosity, why do you want to do the M60 and not the S50? (having not done either) i would think that the S50 would result in the same performance, weight less, and be easier to install.

cost wise i would think the S50 would be less, after all the fabrication and install??? i am guessing on that.

#16 ·
out of curiosity, why do you want to do the M60 and not the S50? (having not done either) i would think that the S50 would result in the same performance, weight less, and be easier to install.

cost wise i would think the S50 would be less, after all the fabrication and install??? i am guessing on that.
I never thought of that. I always wanted a v8 for the sounds it produces. Its music to my ears. But I also wanted it for performance reasons and I am going to definitely take that into consideration.

#19 ·
I would recommend that other people with swap experience weigh in on my comment that it would be cheaper.

from what I gather the M50, M52 and S50 are pretty simple swaps. That being said I wouldn't be able to do it myself, with out extensive write ups/manuals.

to put my level of experience into perspective:
I am facing a timing belt and cooling system change and I am nervous to dive into it.

#20 ·
I would recommend that other people with swap experience weigh in on my comment that it would be cheaper.

from what I gather the M50, M52 and S50 are pretty simple swaps. That being said I wouldn't be able to do it myself, with out extensive write ups/manuals.

to put my level of experience into perspective:
I am facing a timing belt and cooling system change and I am nervous to dive into it.
I would be too. Good luck though. Keep me updated with it:thumbup:

Would those engines produce the same performance as the m60?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.