BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

My STEERING WHEEL shaking at 60MPH

1K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  C14 Rider 
#1 ·
When I take off and stops after 60mph. What could be causing this?

#4 ·
Oh jesus.. .

#9 ·
So much win ITT.

OP: Can we get pics of your 'batmobeamer $' ?

#10 ·
Stabilizer fluid XD. Oh dear. Sounds like something the 1960's Batman would have in his tool arsenal.

It might be your that your tie rods are worn. Lift the front of your car, grab the wheel at the 3 and 9 o clock positions, and shake from side to side. If there is play, you probably should refresh your suspension sooner than later. I'm not expert tho, its just an idea.

#11 · (Edited)
The guy that helped you?
You're too much of a dolt to realize theres no such thing as steering stabilizer fluid... and THAT makes you (and this thread) epically funny.
So, f' yourself ;) Thanks for the lolz/fail though.
Check your blinker fluid while you're filling up the stabilizer reservoir. :rofl:

Read the stickys and use 'SEARCH' next time... save yourself the embarrassment, and our time answering questions that are asked every week.

#15 ·
This reminds me of the other night where this girl posted on Facebook asking why her sunroof won't shut. I commented saying the flux capacitor usually goes out and won't let you do much with the car. Next thing she's asking me how to change it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#16 · (Edited)
Well I'll offer some real help because I've dealt with the same issue :p

Tires: Badly worn/unbalanced will cause this
Rims: A bent rim that won't balance out can cause this
Tie rods: Both the inner and outer tie rod ends if worn can cause this
Control arms: Worn balljoints on the control arms can cause this
Strut tops: If the strut tops are worn, this can happen. Worn strut tops however have other symptoms like bump steer and clunking in the front end
Rack and Pinion (steering rack): A worn out steering rack and cause this. However they often leak oil long before they wear out.
Steering column flex disk: A little flex disk that connections the steering could to the rack.

Check them all. However if you hear hooves, think horses not unicorns. Things like out of balance tires and worn tie rods/control arm balljoints are common. Check that before anything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.