BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

TXSTYLE Reviews: Mtec v2 LED Angel Eyes

15K views 119 replies 21 participants last post by  TXSTYLE 
#1 · (Edited)
Those of you who have followed my posts over the many years I've been here at the Fest, know I am a "No Bullsh1t" type of dude. You also know that I am passionate about "tastefully modifying" my vehicles. I seek out the best possible solutions and I give my honest opinions without being being inflammatory. It either works or it doesn't for me.

Now then... For those of you members or lurkers who have come here looking for F10 type of brightness... Stop reading and don't waste your time. If you understand the design and lighting source of the F10, then you now the only way to possibly achieve this in a 09-12 model 7 Series is to purchase a 2013 headlamp assembly which will set you back in the Thousand$!

But... If you are looking for the "Brightest and Whitest" solution available for our cars for a reasonable cost, you are in the right place! I am proud to say that this lighting system is by far the BEST solution I have seen anywhere. The moment I installed one side and fired them up, I knew from the light output on my garage wall that my search had ended. :D

First off, I purchased from Derrick at e92Lighting a resident sponsor here. I also purchased a previous v2 set for my e65 which although nice and the best option for that car, were NOT as bright as these.
I like you, have read or posted in the plethora of threads re: Angel Eyes for this car so rather than wait around for someone else to pull the trigger, I just ordered my on ($220 shipped) from Derrick. I knew if there was an issue, he would make it right based on my experience.

Now onto the review and install of the product:

The box has 2 H8 bulbs with 4 Cree LED each. It also has 2 metal boxes: 2 Drivers (larger) and 2 Resistors (smaller) nicely packaged. The bulbs themselves have a nice weight and feel from the heat-sink design (see pics).
Install is a simple breeze... period! I only used the Drivers (if you get errors or flickering my understanding is then you can hook up resistors too) and they work flawlessly. I used my own tiny strips of velcro to secure the Drivers inside the Eye housing to prevent moving around (see pics). Once plugged up and closed up, I fired the car up to check my DRL color and brightness and compared it to my Hoen HID-type halogen. No foking comparison!!! The LEDs are ultra white with ZERO hint of yellow or cream.

I snapped various pics to demonstrate their performance from: Direct Sun, Shade, and Garage. Now I will just say that for me, the difference is well worth the price! Even if they aren't F10 bright, the color alone coupled with the brightness increase over ANY halogen bulb out there is a no-brainer.

PICS:

More to come...

~ Big Marcus

See less See more
#92 ·
I drove my car to work tonight. My Mtecs say Version 2 on the box. I have the resistors installed. I got a error saying daytime/parking light error. I turned the lights off auto mode and to manual on mode and the error went away. My driver's side angel light was out and the passenger side on. When I turned the lights on manually both sides of lights turned on. I also opened the compartment where the light is and it was so hot it burned my fingers. I am going to watch it. I like the look but don't care for the errors.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#93 ·
I drove my car to work tonight. My Mtecs say Version 2 on the box. I have the resistors installed. I got a error saying daytime/parking light error. I turned the lights off auto mode and to manual on mode and the error went away. My driver's side angel light was out and the passenger side on. When I turned the lights on manually both sides of lights turned on. I also opened the compartment where the light is and it was so hot it burned my fingers. I am going to watch it. I like the look but don't care for the errors.

Good luck. This is the same problem I was having but my passenger side was the one that was going out.

#97 ·
I removed the resistors before driving home from work tonight and didn't get any errors or half the lights going out. I didn't check the heat of the light but it appears to have helped. I will watch the next few days. Mine is a 2009 also.

#101 ·
temperatures

I was curious as to the temperatures of the kit when it is all connected. I measured at 75 deg F room temp.

Heatsink on the light bulb - 164 deg F
Resistor - 138 deg
Driver - 90 deg

The heatsink on the bulb gets really hot. So I have made sure not to have any wires touching the heatsink. Perhaps it would be better to have a bigger heatsink or a fan on it. Feedback for V3 maybe.

I've been getting error codes off and on. But the angel eyes always work. I'm not even going to bother with the resistor.

Temps will probably be higher in an enclosed headlight.

I did not observe any melting after 30 minutes of driving at least.

With the resistors it is pulling 1.17A.
Without the resistors is is pulling 0.869A.

Love the look of the bulbs in any case.

Attachments

#103 · (Edited)
I was curious as to the temperatures of the kit when it is all connected. I measured at 75 deg F room temp.

Heatsink on the light bulb - 164 deg F
Resistor - 138 deg
Driver - 90 deg

The heatsink on the bulb gets really hot. So I have made sure not to have any wires touching the heatsink. Perhaps it would be better to have a bigger heatsink or a fan on it. Feedback for V3 maybe.

I've been getting error codes off and on. But the angel eyes always work. I'm not even going to bother with the resistor.

Temps will probably be higher in an enclosed headlight.

I did not observe any melting after 30 minutes of driving at least.

With the resistors it is pulling 1.17A.
Without the resistors is is pulling 0.869A.

Love the look of the bulbs in any case.
Great tests. One thing that really does concern me is the heat generated in the enclosed area. Your tests are out in the open. I would be interested to see heat numbers inside the enclosed lighting fixtures with covers on. I can only presume generated heat may be over 2X-3X that since there is absolutely no ventilation in there.

#102 ·
That's some TESTING there lol!

Nice going man. Mine are still going strong for nearly two months. Just as bright and I've monitored the install and no issues enclosed. Although I may look to wrap the wires in black snake tubing just as a precaution.

~Big Marcus

#108 ·
Hot engine air will circulate under the hood, but the light enclosures are essentially sealed when you put that cap on. I am concerned it is an oven in there. Even hot engine air is still quite a bit higher than typical ambient temperatures, thus there is another source of heat to raise temps even further in the enclosure.

#109 ·
Hello to ALL,

I just installed my Mtec angel eye LED's into my 2011 750lxi... I did not use the resistors at first, however, after driving it for a little bit I noticed that the passenger side angel eyes were OUT and the driver side were ON. Also, when I unlock the car before the install my original yellow angel eyes would come ON and remain ON. Then, when the new Mtec LED's were installed they would not come ON when I unlocked the car. In fact, when I turn off my car the angel eyes go OUT with the Mtec LED's.

Does anyone have any input on the subject is this the way it is or did I install the Mtec LED's backwards and upside down? (Just kidding)

By the way they LOOK AMAZING IN THE DAYLIGHT cant wait to see them tonight!!!

P.S. TXSTYLE - Amazing write up... pushed me over the edge to purchase!

Thanks!

#110 ·
Glad to hear that! And you're welcome. Always nice to receive positive feedback from a install writeup or suggestion I post.

My thoughts: Must be the year or software version of your car (soooo much technical stuff in these cars!) which is giving you these different results? *check your settings for Daytime Running Lamps* Mine are set to on. :thumbup:

Here is what happens with mine to this date from the beginning (without resistors just drivers):

I do NOT have/leave my heads set to AUTO. If and when I hit unlock on my fob (or open a door if unlocked) the Eyes do NOT light up! Only after I start the car do they fire up. I figured this is what should happen anyway.
To this very day, neither have gone out while driving because when I pull up somewhere many times in front of glass, they are on! Still get an occasional "parking lamp malfunction error" usually upon cranking but it is very random some days no error at all after several starts!
So I continue to be VERY pleased! The look is quite noticeable. And when I see other F0s with creamy yellow eyes I just :)

#112 ·
Mtec suggestion

This was the reply that I received from Mtec, also, I agree that they have been very responsive! Which is greatly appreciated!!

I have not tried the solution provided below yet...but, I will this morning and will then provide a follow up to the forum with results...

"Hi,

Did you install the resistors? If so, please unplug the resistors and follow the following steps. Turn on the engine and headlight. Then turn everything off, and LOCK the door with remote. Then you can unlock the door and turn the engine/headlight.

If you do these steps, and you still have problem, please let me know.

Thank you

Thank you for the business!"

#114 ·
This was the reply that I received from Mtec, also, I agree that they have been very responsive! Which is greatly appreciated!!

I have not tried the solution provided below yet...but, I will this morning and will then provide a follow up to the forum with results...

"Hi,

Did you install the resistors? If so, please unplug the resistors and follow the following steps. Turn on the engine and headlight. Then turn everything off, and LOCK the door with remote. Then you can unlock the door and turn the engine/headlight.

If you do these steps, and you still have problem, please let me know.

Thank you

Thank you for the business!"
Glad to hear. Hope that works for you.

#119 ·
Well I brought my car into the dealer so that they can look at a side camera malfunction.

When my service adviser unlocked the car, of course the MTECs don't stay on (which I guess the standard bulbs do). He did it again and only one bulb came on. Now I never thought anything of it. But he is adamant that there is something wrong.

Here is the thing. I could see in his mind that he was trying to tie the bulbs to the camera malfunction. Of course, this is definitely not the case because I had the camera malfunction long before I installed the MTEC bulbs.

Lesson here is that the dealer is always looking for something aftermarket that could get them out of warranty work. Even if has nothing to do with the same system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.