BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Where can I buy oem sport suspension

2K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  ticklemejoviemo 
#1 ·
I didn't feel like trolling through hundreds of threads just to get a tip so if you have a problem with answering my question then simply don't. I want to buy new control arms, bushings, tie rods, etc.. I also need the lower eyelid trim for the passenger side. Anyone know of a good bmw parts site with reasonable pricing that will have what I'm looking for... I'd also like to buy oem interior to change colors. Thanks ahead for any help and a good _.l.. to anyone who thinks they're funny with their smart ass comments.

Sent from my HTC One

#3 ·
I find it funny that you already expect negative comments... :lmao: and for that... here's one.

Google it. :)
Because these forums are full of egotistical stiffs who think if someone is asking a question they're automatically retarded. I honestly hate bimmer forums... The people are asses, almost makes me wanna sell the bimmer, buy another z and hit the z forums again..... More down to earth open minded people, but Touche to you for that... But as it stands I check every option I have before trying here.... Unfortunately all sites I find I can't find my trim pieces that I need and I want to buy a full suspension kit as a whole to save money not piece by piece that's waaaaaay too expensive

Sent from my HTC One

#7 ·
I usually don't mind helping people, except for those with an obvious chip on their shoulder. If you are so easily inflamed and not willing to spend a little time to educate yourself like so many others of the more knowledgeable people here, don't expect much help. I consider myself quite knowledgeable about these cars in most aspects, but most of my time was spent reading threads to glean info from the wealth of knowledge already published. Study up, and ask questions armed with a little knowledge of your own.

#8 · (Edited)
Agreed. People may jokingly pick on others around here sometimes, but for the most part it's all in good fun. You really shouldn't take the internet too seriously. I personally think people around here do even more than necessary to help out others. If you would do a little research on your own, you would know that the shocks/struts and springs are about the only things which DO differ between the standard vs. sport suspensions. I know people always say "read the Wiki"... but if you take the time to do it then 95% of any questions you could think of would be answered.

#9 ·
Serenity now. Serenity now.

#10 · (Edited)
#22 ·
Did you say something?

#34 ·
maybe a brief review?
Wanna know about FSD's? I wrote this a few years ago when I first had them on my car:

My disclaimer is that these are all my own perceptions and might not be what you feel if you did this evaluation. I did pay close attention under various situations as you will see, but have logged only about three and a half hours of drive time so far. If things seem different down the road, I'll surely do a long term recap and report here.

I'm writing this to try to portray precisely what the FSD shock installation on my e46 feels like under various conditions. Not to just say "better ride/better handling", but to explain in detail where you will feel the changes. I want to get you as close to knowing what you'd be getting if you made this switch to decide if this is the setup for you. It's too large a commitment of money plus labor to leave to pure experimentation.
I have the 330Ci with sport suspension with staggered tire setup and manual transmission. I left the oem springs on the car. I might have gone with stiffer springs if I could have found some with no decrease in ride height, but I didn't want a lowered car for the current horrible road maintenance I find all around the USA.

At first it's a little disconcerting to drive down the road with my new FSD's because the suspension feels as if it has an added mush factor. I normally associate this with bad/isolated handling, but that just isn't so in this instance. All the normal feedback that keeps you thinking the suspension is tight and ready for business has turned into a soft ride that removes the 'harsh' factor. And that's one of the primary large differences, no more 'harsh'. The car still feels solidly connected to the road, but the wince-producing slap of small potholes, road patches, and banging of highway separators is greatly reduced. You get just enough isolation to yield the quality of ride improvement claimed by all.
But the surprise is that when pushed thru a normal corner, the car handles better than before, but seemingly with less stress. I found myself going faster with a more sure feeling of stability. When I thought about the event immediately after, I realized there is a softness added to taking corners at a higher speed with a more relaxed sense of control. I have to attribute this to the Koni's keeping better contact of the tires with the road while somehow delivering a smoother ride.
Long sweeping curves such as a large clover leaf highway entrance (taken hard) also reveal more. I think I was able to take my favorite much faster, but felt that the hunting requiring constant steering correction was gone. (I might have guessed that bad control arm bushings has been replaced with new ones had I not known what I installed) This translates to going faster, with a more stable feeling, and requiring less skill from me. The car does a better job. I was more relaxed at a higher level of performance. In retrospect, every time I do something with this increased capability, I think about why it feels strange, and the answer is always that it feels smoother at the limit. And that's weird.

Perhaps of a more subtle nature, I believe even the straight line tracking was affected. I felt as I was driving on a straight country road, the car didn't require as much constant minor correction to stay in my lane.

It's going to take some getting used to regarding perceiving a softer riding car as capable. But when the car is going fast and working hard there are no second thoughts. It will be interesting to see what my long term reactions are, but so far I think I like it all. No regrets. Very impressed.

And now here in Dec '13 and 60K miles later I still have the same opinions.
I use my car primarily to drive cross country and we never get tired of being in the car for many hours a day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.