BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Performance in snow

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Bimmagirl 
#1 ·
I want to get an M3 but I'm worried about how it will handle in snow. I can get winter tires, I know, but my friends tell me that it will be difficult, with all that HP, to control it in snow. For this reason, and this reason only, I am considering a 335is (which I really don't want to do as it looks just like my 328i). What is your experience?

#2 ·
?

You can get in trouble in any car with the wrong winter tire.

You can get through about any reasonable situation in any car with the right winter tire.

I don't think this is a reason not to get an M3, providing it works for you in all other respects.

What was your test drive in the M3 like?

#5 ·
?

You can get in trouble in any car with the wrong winter tire.

You can get through about any reasonable situation in any car with the right winter tire.

I don't think this is a reason not to get an M3, providing it works for you in all other respects.

What was your test drive in the M3 like?
It was everything I thought it would be and more! Handled like a true beauty. It was -1C in Toronto today and even with the 19in summer tires, the tires still gripped the road well. We drove around a lot of corners on small city roads, some smooth, some just plain bumpy and in need of maintenance. Monday we drove on the highway. Both experiences were great. And how about that dead stop when you hit the brakes hard? This machine could get a gal in trouble!

#3 ·
With your concern, you will be much better off in an M3 than someone in a Camry that has no concern. Just put the right tires on it and drive with caution.

#4 · (Edited)
You may not be able to drive like a 4x4 but you will have no problems with good snow tires. I drove my 540, 545 and 550 with snow tires with no issues at all. You will learn that in 2-3 inches snow, you will need to turn off traction control(to get the wheels going) and start in second gear. I have not had my M3 in the snow yet but I am not worried

#9 ·
Agree with others, with a good set of winter tires you should be fine. If anything the issue would be ground clearance. However, this would impact the 335is as well.

I don't (yet) own an M3 but past vehicles have included BMW 530i, IS350 and M45. All were the sport models and with a winter setup, I never had an issue with driving in the elements.

#11 ·
I want to get an M3 but I'm worried about how it will handle in snow. I can get winter tires, I know, but my friends tell me that it will be difficult, with all that HP, to control it in snow. For this reason, and this reason only, I am considering a 335is (which I really don't want to do as it looks just like my 328i). What is your experience?
LOL... I was with you (to some extent) until I read this last line. If anything the M3 is easier to drive in the snow because it has less low end torque and a very linear throttle delivery.

If your two choices are an M3 vs. 335is for snow duty, I'd definitely pick an M3 (I've owned both an M3 and 335i at the same time). The M-dynamic mode for partial traction control is also quite helpful.

#12 ·
Seriously? I never would have guessed that. Well, I'm happy with all of these responses. And when I was in on Saturday, I spoke with 2 persons (one a customer and one the owner) who drove M3s. The one guy had brought in his car to put winter tires on. He told me it was challenging but he hasn't had any problems in 4 years. As you can see, I'm doing my research.

You know, I had some remorse after posting this thread. I saw some of the other M3 posts and responses and thought for sure I'd get slaughtered. I mean, who buys an M3 and worry about snow conditions? I thought I was going to get hammered for sure. Happy my fears were unfounded.

#13 ·
M3 is a great daily driver. If I lived up north I'd have no problem in winter with a good set of snows and a couple sandbags in the trunk.

#14 ·
How do I say this - it seems, from another post I saw (the driver posted a clip of him in his souped (sp?) up 335i racing his buddy in his M3) and from some of the reviews that I've read, that the M3 is relatively slow starting off. (It picks up speed and will blow past other cars in no time though) So, here's my question, if you start off from a stop sign or light sensibly / not flooring the gas, and you never suddenly accelerate (I know from the test drive that it can stop on a dime), why would the car ever spin out / fish-tail ... on you simply because it's a powerful car? Certainly, during my 2 test drives (one on city roads and one on the highway), I did not feel intimidated at all. My friends tell me with that amount of hp I wouldn't be able to handle it. These friends are all guys. Is there some truth to what they're saying or are they just trying to get me to let them drive the car once I get it? :)

#16 ·
I'm going into a 3rd winter with my M3 and have always had Wintersport 3D snow tires. The M3 with snow tires does better in snow than our Q7 with all-season tires. Start with the right tires then conservative driving appropriate for the conditions.

#19 ·
By factory are your referring to Euro and/or Performance Center Delivery (PCD)? I don't yet own an M3 but will be ordering one in January. For this one, I am strongly considering PCD. It is free minus the airfare and trip home (gas, hotel, etc). If Euro, there is a further discount from standard invoice which can offset some of the cost associated with travel. How much will depend on your length of stay. Some go over and back in 2 days. Others combine a business and/or vacation for 1-2 weeks.

There are plenty of posts on both experiences. Search the forum and/or the internet. While I'm sure there is one or two bad experiences, I haven't come across one yet.

Regarding the down-payment, if leasing, only use the money for MSD's to lower the money factor (i.e. interest rate). Otherwise it is your comfort level of payment. Interest rates are still low. Contact a credit union for 1.25-2% 48-72 months. However, I believe BMW's Holiday Credit is only valid if financing with them. Something to consider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.