BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Active Hybrid 3

13K views 66 replies 22 participants last post by  stormace 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello
I am currently in the market for a 335i. Currently I have a 2010 G37 and a 2011 X5 35i Premium. I learnt to appreciate BMW and the N55 from my experience with the X5.

I really did not want to post anything on this forum until I got the 335i but I wanted to ask your opinion on the Active Hybrid 3. I plan to take delivery around Xmas. It seems to me people are missing the point with this car. The way I look at this car is by comparing it with the S4, which weighs about the same. However with the BMW, you have 335hp from 5800-6000 rpm, the S4 peaks at 5500. The Active Hybrid also has peak TQ from 1200-5000rpm. This means the AH3 has a broader area under the graph than the S4.

I am sure most of you will point out that the S4 has AWD, this will help the S4 in curves and off the line, however this is true for the normal 335i as well but the AH3 should be in a better position once both cars are in motion.

The weight distribution of the AH3 is almost 50/50, just like the 328i, I believe (and I stand to be corrected) that a near 50/50 weight distribution leads to better handling. The AH3 also has slightly more weight at the back compared to the 335i but this should provide more traction off the line.

If I get the AHS, its got nothing to do with the fuel economy, but I think BMW engineered this car to slightly edge out the 335i in performance. As a replacement for my G37, well its a win win situation:thumbup:

In summary I guess I am saying the adv of the AH3 over the 335i are as follows:
More weight at the back for better traction
Near 50/50 weight distribution
More HP
Peak HP available over a broader rpm range 5800-6000
More TQ available at the same range as the 335i

Disadv
More weight

What do you guys think.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I think the argument for the activehybrid 3 is a very difficult one, at least from an economical and performance prospective. It's not totally clear at this point though, because I've read conflicting things about what the EPA ratings for it will be. Here's what we know right now though:

+ Yes, the activehybrid does have a better weight distribution, and that tends to provide more balanced (better) handling. However the 335i automatic is still close to ideal at 51.5% in the front.

- The activehybrid may have more power, but according to bmwusa.com, it's .1 seconds slower 0 - 60 compared to a 335i automatic, no doubt due to the extra weight..
- The activehybrid costs about $6000 more.
- More complexity = more stuff that can go wrong and need to be fixed.

So yeah, I guess we'll see once the EPA ratings really come out, but the only argument I can think of right now is being able to say that you drive a hybrid. Even if the EPA ratings turn out to be noticeably better, $6000 buys a lot of gas.

Also, on BMW's site it says that that the activehybrid 5 is rated 3 MPG better city compared to a 535i, but highway rating is the same. So yeah, that probably gives some clue as to what the ratings for the 3 will be (they use the same hybrid powertrain).

#3 · (Edited)
I think that 0.1s deficit will be all but eliminated at the quarter mile. It would be interesting to see the quarter mile trap speed too. There is a video of the AH3 racing an M135i on the autobahn and the two were very close. I will test drive the 335i 335 x driver and the AH3 once my dealer has all in stock. On paper the AH3 seems very appealing, certainly not for mpg, but there has to be some performance gains from the additional power source. The even weight distribution should not be overlooked, a lot of reviewers were complaining the 335i is nose heavy.

#4 ·
I think that 0.1s deficit will be all but eliminated at the quarter mile.
Unlikely. 300 pounds more weight continues to require more energy to accelerate, regardless of speed.

Additionally, the hybrid has a longer final-drive ratio of 2.81 instead of the regular car's 3.15. While this is good for increased gas mileage, it is bad for acceleration.

Don't buy the hybrid if you are looking for performance.

#6 · (Edited)
Yes I did put 1/4 mile and hybrid in the same sentence, this is no ordinary hybrid though. The only reason I am focussing on performance is I am comparing different variants of the 335i. The S4 335i debate is a whole different thread. I have looked everywhere for the quarter mile times but none are out there. It would be interesting to hear what those who take ownership have to say

@ elk
I see your point, unfortunately all I can do is bench race at this stage since there is no test data out there for it. I have faith in this hybrid though.

#9 · (Edited)
My dealer just told me to come and test drive the ah3 tomorrow. I have driven the '12 335i twice now and hopefully I can drive them back to back. Now that the option for the power pack is open and hopefully available on the ah3, this should make it more interesting.

Update

I have just been to the test drive and the ah3 has a lot of tq off the line. Without even being too aggressive on the throttle the rear tires were letting loose. Had to wait at least for a sec for full traction to kick in so u can finally go. You can really feel the additional weight at the back though. It's a feeling one can do without and takes a bit away from the 335i's driving dynamics. The one I drove was the luxury line. I will order the m sport package.

My choice is not too bad given I live in the northeast. I would have to go with the x drive or the ah3. Both are heavier that the 335i but I think with dedicated winter tires and sticky sport tires in the non winter months the ah3 should be better than the x drive. Please go ahead and try the ah3, it's worth your time. I plan to add the power pack for another 30hp getting me to 360/360 all under warranty.

#15 · (Edited)
I am ordering this by month end

Alpine white
Leather Dakota coral red/black highlight
Cold weather package
M sport line
Premium package
Tech package
HK surround system
Park distance control
Rear view camera

Selling price is in the very very low 50s after discounts/incentives/loyalty.

Still not sure if the ah3 comes with the real sport suspension when it's an m sport model.

#18 ·
I am ordering this by month end

Alpine white
Leather Dakota coral red/black highlight
Cold weather package
M sport line
Premium package
Tech package
HK surround system
Park distance control
Rear view camera

Selling price is in the very very low 50s after discounts/incentives/loyalty.

Still not sure if the ah3 comes with the real sport suspension when it's an m sport model.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that you can get the black highlights on the coral red seats in the M Sport. For me, I'd love to have the M Sport exterior and the Sport Line interior......

#16 ·
Did you order yours yet?

Hello,

Have you had a chance to drive the AH3? It's an amazing car.. not alone there is a 3500 echo credit.

I just placed an order for mine..

Hello
I am currently in the market for a 335i. Currently I have a 2010 G37 and a 2011 X5 35i Premium. I learnt to appreciate BMW and the N55 from my experience with the X5.

I really did not want to post anything on this forum until I got the 335i but I wanted to ask your opinion on the Active Hybrid 3. I plan to take delivery around Xmas. It seems to me people are missing the point with this car. The way I look at this car is by comparing it with the S4, which weighs about the same. However with the BMW, you have 335hp from 5800-6000 rpm, the S4 peaks at 5500. The Active Hybrid also has peak TQ from 1200-5000rpm. This means the AH3 has a broader area under the graph than the S4.

I am sure most of you will point out that the S4 has AWD, this will help the S4 in curves and off the line, however this is true for the normal 335i as well but the AH3 should be in a better position once both cars are in motion.

The weight distribution of the AH3 is almost 50/50, just like the 328i, I believe (and I stand to be corrected) that a near 50/50 weight distribution leads to better handling. The AH3 also has slightly more weight at the back compared to the 335i but this should provide more traction off the line.

If I get the AHS, its got nothing to do with the fuel economy, but I think BMW engineered this car to slightly edge out the 335i in performance. As a replacement for my G37, well its a win win situation:thumbup:

In summary I guess I am saying the adv of the AH3 over the 335i are as follows:
More weight at the back for better traction
Near 50/50 weight distribution
More HP
Peak HP available over a broader rpm range 5800-6000
More TQ available at the same range as the 335i

Disadv
More weight

What do you guys think.

#22 ·
I agree with you, the press and most people misunderstand the car.... I actually work for BMW and all I do everything is driving these cars.. From personal experience I'm really happy with the performance. I also dont believe the sticker shows actual miles when the hybrid kicks in while it's coasting.

The only thing I dont like is the cost.. I obviously don't care cuz I'm leasing and as long as I keep my car during the duration of my lease I'll be ok.

Also speaking of cost, if you are leasing the AH3 is still cheaper lease wise at a 60k MSRP vs. a 335i 56k MSRP plus the echo credit will most likely increase or BMW will have some crazy deals by the time my AH3 arrives.

The only other thing I'm going back and forth with is the 19's or 18's.. Not sure if I want the road noise w/ the 19's or the look on the 18's.

Did you notice the updated nag on the ah3? The 335i will most likely get the update next month or so.

Anyhow, good luck and let me know if you have any questions?

Hello,

Have you had a chance to drive the AH3? It's an amazing car.. not alone there is a 3500 echo credit.

I just placed an order for mine..

#17 ·
Yes I did, in post 9 above I describe my experience. Have you test driven it? I agree it's an amazing car that I believe is being understated by the automotive press. I have another test drive this morning, I want to do a back to back with the x drive so I can be sure this is what I want. In any case, the ah3 is cheaper after the Eco credit.

#19 ·
Just test drove the ah3 and the 335i. There is no doubt the tq on the ah3 is abundant and instantaneous. I am now 100% on board for buying the car. The 335i gives nothing up to the ah3. You can certainly tell its lighter and more tossable. However the ah3 did not feel too far behind in terms of driving dynamics. It was very interesting when the car switched from engine to electric mode seamlessly.

I guess after test driving these 2, I can safely say the 335i edges the ah3 in handling, both should be close in a straight line but the extra tq and how it's delivered should give the ah3 the edge. Coming from a g37, it's a win win situation no matter which flavor of 335i I choose.

#24 ·
Congratulation on the order! Can’t really go wrong with either 335i or AH3. But instant boost of tq from battery is just pure fun and addicting. IMO very practical in real world day to day driving and for sure EV is going to be future. Hybrid serve as a nice interim and BMW got it fairly balance with minimal compromise to showcase the advantage of extra juice from battery pack. In the AH7 it feel like a 3rd turbo or extra 50 shots of nos, ran with stock 550i from 70+mph and the 550i look like just standing still.

#25 ·
Thanks ayu910 and Encinitas. It's encouraging to hear from you both as owners of the hybrid tech and Encinitas has access to these cars often. Encinitas thanks for clearing up the suspension issue. Good to know its the real deal. I did not get a chance to compare the navigation, I was focused on the driving. Like you both said, the tq is just amazing, given the 335i is a tq monster already, the addition of the electric motor makes it that much more addictive to drive. My ca put on the sport display which shows tq and hp, just a tap of the gas pedal sent the tq meter to 335 instantly. I guess after 5 years in a Infiniti g35/37hp, which makes its power higher up the rev band, I got tired of NA engines, forced induction is the future. Forced induction with electric motors even better.

I saw the white red combo in person yesterday and I did not like it as much as I thought I would. I will order it with Estoril blue and black combo instead.

#27 · (Edited)
g37to335i, no problem..If you only knew how many people step into my dealership and as soon as I mention hybrid people think slow right away and most people dont understand that electric motors have ore tq than gas motors. I honestly would have ordered the ah5 but since bmw doesn't have the m sport yet I'll just stay with the ah3. Anyhow, enjoy your new ah3 when it arrives.

As crazy as this sounds but I was thinking of changing my order to the Estoril blue on the coral red. :)

#29 ·
Expecting mine around Thanksgiving also!

What's up, I am new here... I just ordered my Activehybrid 3, Sport line in jet black with anthracite wood trim and HK sound system. I test drove two of them, one luxury line and one sport line... They were both awesome! This car is incredibly fun to drive. I also feel that the press and public are really missing the point of this car! I have a X5 4.4i Sport Pkg and just sold an Audi A6 4.2l... Both of them fun cars, but both get 15-18 mpg in real world. the fact that with the AH3 you can drive down to the store with your rpm @ zero using no gas is awesome, and the coasting mode is very beneficial for freeway commuters like myself, especially in areas with hills. Then, when you feel like it you throw it in sport mode or sport+ and the combo of the turbo v6 and the electric motor's torque pushes you back in your seat! Plus the HK sounds great for a factory stereo! I am coming from a morel supremo/elate/ultimo setup and was worried but the sq is great. Can't wait to get the delivery...

#30 ·
I agree with everything you said, congrats on the order. I meant to place my order end of this month but got spooked by the thread where there seems to be delays with 335i orders. I need the car at Xmas and can't afford to go beyond that. I had asked my ca to see if he could locate an m sport ah3 and he said he could see one but it had not been built yet. That just reinforced my fear that it could take longer to get here. On autotrader.com I located a lot of sport models so I figured there will be plenty to pick up in Dec.

#31 · (Edited)
Update

So, the time came for me to shop around and see which AH3s are out there. I found a lot of them on auto trader. Com. Before going forward I had to test drive the x drive and I have come to the conclusion that it does not matter which 335i flavor you pick, all of them are great. I went to a dealership which happened to have the Estoril blue in stock and I was just blown away, at that point I knew whatever I got had to be m sport. There are no ah3 m sports for dec delivery out there so I am going with x drive. I would have been content getting the one I saw at the dealership but read that if you want the power pack, it can only be installed before leaving the VPC. I will have to order one that is already in production or on the ship and there are a number out there. I will update with my specs once the order is placed.

On a side note the m sport does not come out well on the black one, I think the contrast of the black grills and the contours of the bumper are lost with this color.

#32 ·
Just picked up an AH3 for an extended test drive over the weekend.

I am coming from a manual E46 coupe so it's quite a change to say the least.

The goal is more to provide me with an idea on the size/characteristics of the F30 in general and this is what they had for me to test with.

Ultimately I think my final choice will come down to either an E90 335D or an F30 328, either with sports package/sports line respectively.

That said, I am very interested to see how I like this Hybrid car. So far, I am impressed, but the luxury package is too "soft" for me, although that could be the F30 itself as I haven't had a chance to drive a sports line.

#34 ·
Just picked up an AH3 for an extended test drive over the weekend.

I am coming from a manual E46 coupe so it's quite a change to say the least.

The goal is more to provide me with an idea on the size/characteristics of the F30 in general and this is what they had for me to test with.

Ultimately I think my final choice will come down to either an E90 335D or an F30 328, either with sports package/sports line respectively.

That said, I am very interested to see how I like this Hybrid car. So far, I am impressed, but the luxury package is too "soft" for me, although that could be the F30 itself as I haven't had a chance to drive a sports line.
That is a big change!

You can order the AH3 with the DHP, which comes with Adaptive M suspension and Variable Sport Steering. That's what I did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.