BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Newbie Help!

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  x3brian 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I do not currently own a BMW but I am looking to trade my Accord for an X3. I have been reading some of the threads and I am concerned about the transmission issue in the 07...I have been looking at the 06 as well...I like my accord but it is horrible in the snow. I have always wanted a BMW and I thought the X3 would fit my needs with the driving experience I am looking for but has the AWD I need. Any input would be appreciated thank you!

#2 · (Edited)
What is your price range? Are you a DIY type? Can you stomach $1200 a year in repairs if you don't DIY?

I am not trying to tell you not to make the switch...as the x3 is awesome... but you need to be ready to handle the cost differences between the two....BMW vs Honda.

Here is my 2 cents:

If you want an oil dipstick and very reliable m54/5sp auto look at the 06.

I see most in the price range of $13k-$17k....but you will have the following repairs looming soon:

Tires ($1000)
Ccv/disa valve ($500)
Intake boot ($100)
Valve cover gasket ($500)
Oil filter housing gasket ($300)
Fluids (trans, diff, & xfer case) ($400)
Struts and shocks ($1800)

Total- $4600 if done at a Indy shop

Now if you can find a 2009 for $22k-25k...or a 2008 manual around 19k...that's what I would buy...most of that list will disappear.

My history... I have 2009 that has been flawless to 107k miles. It has been by far the most reliable car I have ever owned.

#6 · (Edited)
We have a milage thread for reference...been a month since last update:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291640

One super commuter got 207k on his 05 with nothing but basic maintenance. He move on to an Audi at 207k if my memory is right.

This is a well made reliable car...but requires maintenance....especially those fluids.

Heck the front brakes on my 09 lasted to 99k miles and rears to 74k.

Next on my list is struts and shocks and then around 150k water pump and thermostat. Since new just fluid maintenance has been required...I follow old school mike miller recommendations.

The only issue I had a 60k was a failed front differential, but BMW goodwill repaired it under warranty. No other issues to date I wouldn't consider reasonable and normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.