BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2013 328i (F30) - One month of ownership

17K views 64 replies 35 participants last post by  f30jojo 
#1 ·
A month ago I picked up my 2013 F30 328i. It's got a few add-ons but nothing major - Sportline, 6MT, PDC/Camera, Everest leather, seat heaters, sunshades, aluminum trim, Melbourne Red paint. It's a lease because I tend to change cars every two years.

Pros:
* 6 MT - ah feels like home. Familiar long BMW throws and vague shifter action but I know this feeling so well that even a mediocre manual feels better than the 3 years of automatic purgatory I endured.
* RWD - again, just feels right.
* BMW seats - once again, they just feel right.
* BMW controls/switches - everything falls to hand nicely and feels good. The interior's a step up from the e90 but still a downgrade from the e46.
* PDC/Camera - nice to have when you're driving a car with this much size and such vague steering.
* Trunk - tons of nooks and crannies, lots of hooks and overall a nice trunk.

Cons:
* N20 engine's got a nice bit of power but the narrow powerband's getting on my nerves. Owned many turbo cars and while this is better than my N54, it's still not an exhilarating engine. Lacking in a sharp torque curve or any drama it's a workman-like engine.
* Auto Start-stop - the whole car shakes like a broken washing machine when it starts up at a light. Yikes, who allowed this into production? My mother-in-law's Kenmore-esque Toyota Prius has this feature too; only it's with 1/10th the drama.
* Steering - no matter that setting, BMW's apparently clueless about how to do EPS. In terms of feedback and control this even makes my Cooper S (on Sport), seem like a genius implementation.
* Leather - each generation BMW seems to get a cheaper quality leather. At this point this leather is one step above pleather.
* Size: great googly-moogly, was this thing built for typical Americans? Seems so given the plus size dimensions.

After a month, I'm happy to be out of my last car and once again in a manual, RWD BMW. There are smells and sensations that work. The driver position and ergonomics offer a big jump over the flat-wide e90s I've owned. The rear seat is perfect for my 3 year old; he loves the rear HVAC. when my next kid is born in December the shades will be handy for her. For the driver the seats grab on, the shifter's close at hand and it all works as I'd expect from a BMW. Heel-toe's still an option with pedal placement, though the narrow powerband of the clattery N20 means it's not something you can play with much. Still hit a corner right and the RWD/chassis will just motor you through with that re-assuring smoothness BMW' probably patented.

Because the car's grown so much over previous 3s it looks and feels like a midsize family sedan. There's a slight sporting edge but overall the car just gives a sense of a sturdy, solid boat. It never shrinks around the driver and although the numbers obviously indicate it's a sharp handler, it never really feels ready to slice nimbly through the curves. It will dance on some tight roads but the over-boosted, extremely artificial steering and the car's extreme size mean it always feels like a trick of electronics, not a reflection of supreme chassis tuning or driver involvement. Given the lack of quality in this area for all competitors BMW still reigns supreme but I've heard the ATS may finally supplant it...

The new suspension and Gen 3 RFTs provide a more relaxed level of passenger comfort My wife loves it. I find the suspension spongy and tuned far too much to luxury. Tried the active suspension on a bad road in the sticks before buying and even at the tightest setting that too gave too much of a Buick impression. For comparison sake, my ZHP always struck me a little marshmallowy, so this is positively 5 series-like. Again, family likes it; I can live with it.

Approaching the car, I'm still in the shrug phase with the exterior. The e90s never appealed to me visually. This car presents better, with a finished look but nothing about it has the chiseled, sinewy appeal of the e46 or the tight lines of the e30. Probably the second least appealing 3 series to look at after the e90. You know it's a BMW when you approach it; just it's one of the newer ones with less character or style. If I grow to love the car's abilities, I'm sure I'll draw a tight association to the exterior being special. For now it's a touch over anonymous but nothing that would turn my head on a freeway like an e36 M3.

The engine... well it powers the car. It hasn't done anything untoward yet, so that's a big plus compared to my last 3 series! The clatter doesn't bug me. The lack of engine note does bug me a touch but given how all turbos I've owned lack character, this appears to be the default. BMW's turbos (haven't heard a new M5 yet) thus far all remind me of old diesels, lacking the much sexier exhaust note of any of the NA engines BMW used to sell. The narrow rev range with the manual does get under my skin but I had the same issue with my 335i. Just miss making an engine sing to redline - and feeling that overwhelming sense of delight as power increased through the car. The turbo's supposedly more efficient (24 MPG mostly freeway makes me wonder about that - 2 MPG more than my 335i but with less city driving) and faster than my NA cars but it's not invigorating.

This will do as a family hauler for the next few years. For the wife and kids, they like it and for me it can be a bit playful. I don't park it and look back. When I step into the garage it's an obstacle, not a point of reverence. Rumors abound that the 1 series sedan will be made to combat the new Audi A3 sedan. It's probably too much to hope for an NA engine in an M model 1 sedan in 2016. One can always pray and send emails to BMW. Really the new 3's just capable enough that I wouldn't trade it back in for my old car.

See less See more
#6 ·
See you on the 163 !

A month ago I picked up my 2013 F30 328i. It's got a few add-ons but nothing major - Sportline, 6MT, PDC/Camera, Everest leather, seat heaters, sunshades, aluminum trim, Melbourne Red paint. It's a lease because I tend to change cars every two years.

Pros:
* 6 MT - ah feels like home. Familiar long BMW throws and vague shifter action but I know this feeling so well that even a mediocre manual feels better than the 3 years of automatic purgatory I endured.
* RWD - again, just feels right.
* BMW seats - once again, they just feel right.
* BMW controls/switches - everything falls to hand nicely and feels good. The interior's a step up from the e90 but still a downgrade from the e46.
* PDC/Camera - nice to have when you're driving a car with this much size and such vague steering.
* Trunk - tons of nooks and crannies, lots of hooks and overall a nice trunk.

Cons:
* N20 engine's got a nice bit of power but the narrow powerband's getting on my nerves. Owned many turbo cars and while this is better than my N54, it's still not an exhilarating engine. Lacking in a sharp torque curve or any drama it's a workman-like engine.
* Auto Start-stop - the whole car shakes like a broken washing machine when it starts up at a light. Yikes, who allowed this into production? My mother-in-law's Kenmore-esque Toyota Prius has this feature too; only it's with 1/10th the drama.
* Steering - no matter that setting, BMW's apparently clueless about how to do EPS. In terms of feedback and control this even makes my Cooper S (on Sport), seem like a genius implementation.
* Leather - each generation BMW seems to get a cheaper quality leather. At this point this leather is one step above pleather.
* Size: great googly-moogly, was this thing built for typical Americans? Seems so given the plus size dimensions.

After a month, I'm happy to be out of my last car and once again in a manual, RWD BMW. There are smells and sensations that work. The driver position and ergonomics offer a big jump over the flat-wide e90s I've owned. The rear seat is perfect for my 3 year old; he loves the rear HVAC. when my next kid is born in December the shades will be handy for her. For the driver the seats grab on, the shifter's close at hand and it all works as I'd expect from a BMW. Heel-toe's still an option with pedal placement, though the narrow powerband of the clattery N20 means it's not something you can play with much. Still hit a corner right and the RWD/chassis will just motor you through with that re-assuring smoothness BMW' probably patented.

Because the car's grown so much over previous 3s it looks and feels like a midsize family sedan. There's a slight sporting edge but overall the car just gives a sense of a sturdy, solid boat. It never shrinks around the driver and although the numbers obviously indicate it's a sharp handler, it never really feels ready to slice nimbly through the curves. It will dance on some tight roads but the over-boosted, extremely artificial steering and the car's extreme size mean it always feels like a trick of electronics, not a reflection of supreme chassis tuning or driver involvement. Given the lack of quality in this area for all competitors BMW still reigns supreme but I've heard the ATS may finally supplant it...

The new suspension and Gen 3 RFTs provide a more relaxed level of passenger comfort My wife loves it. I find the suspension spongy and tuned far too much to luxury. Tried the active suspension on a bad road in the sticks before buying and even at the tightest setting that too gave too much of a Buick impression. For comparison sake, my ZHP always struck me a little marshmallowy, so this is positively 5 series-like. Again, family likes it; I can live with it.

Approaching the car, I'm still in the shrug phase with the exterior. The e90s never appealed to me visually. This car presents better, with a finished look but nothing about it has the chiseled, sinewy appeal of the e46 or the tight lines of the e30. Probably the second least appealing 3 series to look at after the e90. You know it's a BMW when you approach it; just it's one of the newer ones with less character or style. If I grow to love the car's abilities, I'm sure I'll draw a tight association to the exterior being special. For now it's a touch over anonymous but nothing that would turn my head on a freeway like an e36 M3.

The engine... well it powers the car. It hasn't done anything untoward yet, so that's a big plus compared to my last 3 series! The clatter doesn't bug me. The lack of engine note does bug me a touch but given how all turbos I've owned lack character, this appears to be the default. BMW's turbos (haven't heard a new M5 yet) thus far all remind me of old diesels, lacking the much sexier exhaust note of any of the NA engines BMW used to sell. The narrow rev range with the manual does get under my skin but I had the same issue with my 335i. Just miss making an engine sing to redline - and feeling that overwhelming sense of delight as power increased through the car. The turbo's supposedly more efficient (24 MPG mostly freeway makes me wonder about that - 2 MPG more than my 335i but with less city driving) and faster than my NA cars but it's not invigorating.

This will do as a family hauler for the next few years. For the wife and kids, they like it and for me it can be a bit playful. I don't park it and look back. When I step into the garage it's an obstacle, not a point of reverence. Rumors abound that the 1 series sedan will be made to combat the new Audi A3 sedan. It's probably too much to hope for an NA engine in an M model 1 sedan in 2016. One can always pray and send emails to BMW. Really the new 3's just capable enough that I wouldn't trade it back in for my old car.
We get our 335i soon ! As you remember we both did the Drive for Team USA on May 8 at BMW of San Diego. It looks like there will be at least 2 Melbourne Red F30's on the San Diego Freeways by the November. Wave when you see us. Good critical Review. You have experience with many BMW's , and your insight reads like a Car and Driver or Road and Track Review. With our Red Cars , we need to be careful on the 163, 52 , 56 and I have noticed more CHP' s on the 125. I have never driven an MT Bimmer . Hope to someday. Safe Motoring my Friend:thumbup:;):bigpimp:

#8 ·
Cons:

these two small but very important pieces of the puzzle are what worry me about the new F30s. A statistically capable car but does little to make the driver feel involved.

#9 · (Edited)
Very thorough review, but I found your comments on the handling and steering to be rather harsh. Not being interested in owning a car with a highly stressed 4 cylinder engine, I decided against testing the 328i. I have driven the F30-335i, on three occasions; I would not characterize the steering nor the handling as you described them. I have yet to read a review by a professional tester that comes close to your comments on the steering and handling. I do grant you that the steering feedback is not on the same level as in the E9X RWD, E46 or E36.

As for the operation of the ASS, I found it to be seamless in the 335i; there was no roughness on re-starts.

I am also baffled by your comment on the F30 interior being "a downgrade" compared to E46 !!!! Are you serious ? :dunno: I have owned both an E46 sedan and coupe; both interiors I would describe as spartan compared to the F30-335i.

#13 · (Edited)
To you, the OP, and anyone else who's disappointed the the level of feedback from the F30's steering, I'd suggest you look at what tires it has, and consider upgrading them. A lot of the tires BMW has been fitting, such as the Pirelli Cinturato P7 and the Goodyear EfficientGrip, are grand touring tires that are more geared toward fuel economy, rather than performance and offering good steering feedback. Consider this excerpt from a Car and Driver comparison with the F30:

"What we're left with is a 328i whose personality is less distinct than that of the car it replaces, and we'd grown to love the old personality. The 335i we tested last month wore sportier tires, and its steering, while still light, had more feel than the 328i's here. Tires more worthy of a sports sedan would go a long way to improving the 328i's chassis performance." Full comparo here for those who haven't seen it: http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...-sport-2012-volvo-s60-t6-awd-comparison-tests

The 335i they're referring to had Bridgestone Potenza S001 tires, which is a Max performance summer tire. If you guys want more steering feel, I'd suggest upgrading to an even better max performance non-RFT tire such as Michelin pilot super sport or Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position. It's stupid that BMW is putting on crappy tires, but I think you'd be happier with your car after the upgrade.

#19 ·
Agree- this is all about manufacturers striking a balance with governmental mandates on fuel efficiency and emissions against raw performance. If they want to sell their cars in the US they have to comply
I don't believe there are any mandates in the US that restrict a sporty exhaust note. Heck the current batch of Corvette's, Mustangs, Ferrari, Lambo, Cadillac V's series, to name just a handful all sound raw and exciting....even loud under full acceleration.

#20 · (Edited)
Yeah, of course there aren't any mandates like that. The point is that turbo 4 cylinders can get great gas mileage, but it's very difficult to make them sound good. With the exception of the Mustang, all of the cars you mentioned are much lower volume than BMWs, in particular the 3 series. They're also more expensive (again with the exception of the Mustang), have larger, higher cylinder-count engines (which usually sound better), get worse gas mileage than even the 335i, and much worse than the 328i. So it's really not an even comparison.

#27 ·
I had 2 n54s and i loved that engine. But after driving the N20, it has a ton of power. Probably has 85% of the power the N54 had imo. and i get 27mpg instead of 18

#29 ·
Let me repeat my question: Other than fuel economy, in what way is the N20 better than the N54?
It depedns what your needs are. If your main priority is power and tuning capability than then N54 is better for sure. But if you are more interested in thins like handling and fuel efficiency than i think the N20 is better.

I just cant say the N54 is better than the N20 because it has more power, there are other factors that can not be ignored.

#30 ·
It depedns what your needs are. If your main priority is power and tuning capability than then N54 is better for sure. But if you are more interested in thins like handling and fuel efficiency than i think the N20 is better.

I just cant say the N54 is better than the N20 because it has more power, there are other factors that can not be ignored.
Honestly I believe the F30 328i guys are getting quite silly trying to compare the N54 or N55 with the N20. No comparison people. NONE. I would even say that the N54 is more powerful than the N55, we are talking true power here at the wheels, while the N55 is a bit better in torque delivery lower on the rpm scale. But the N20? its not as smooth, its not as linear in its torque delivery, its not as nice sounding, its not as powerful (I know that is obvious) so what are we trying to compare here?

And I still stress as nice as the N20 is, its a highly stressed engine with over 18 lbs of boost. Would that matter to guys like me (and to 90% of the people that buy new)? no I am not planning to keep my cars for more than 36k to 40k miles since I am leasing.. But to someone that is going to keep their car and put 120,000 miles on it what engine to you think he/she would want to have? the one thats boosted at 18.5 psi or the one that is 9 psi?

So yes BMW did a remarkable job with the N20 I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a classic, but it can't compare with the N54/55 6s.

#38 · (Edited)
I'm 4 months in with my F30, w 3k miles. Still not feeling:

* N20 (miss the inline 6)
* stop/start (still feels rough)
* Car's large size.

As you can see, 3k miles after 4 months = no real desire to drive the car outside of errands/work.

Had a couple of issues so far. Trim piece broke in the interior and dealer fixed it. Silly auto-dimming mirrored is now "disabled" with piece of tape over sensor. Finally, front suspension is making a thumping sound at all times and on all road surfaces; from smooth as glass to rough, the front end has for a couple months made a loud thump-thump-thump at all times. Got an appointment to fix it.

#47 ·
Finally, front suspension is making a thumping sound at all times and on all road surfaces; from smooth as glass to rough, the front end has for a couple months made a loud thump-thump-thump at all times. Got an appointment to fix it.
I have the same thumping sound. My previous e90 had the sound through out the 3 years i had it on lease. I thought it was suppose to sound like that? Is that something i should get fixed?

#41 ·
Closing in on 7 months this week and about 4700 miles. I don't find myself want to take this car out for drives like I used to do with my ZHP or Cooper. The F30 is functional but about as inspiring as a plain risotto (sure nice enough but not something that makes you say wow).

Good:
Smooth ride around town/freeway
Wife likes it
Son likes it

Odd:
Received multiple compliments from strangers about the car in parking lots. My 2003 ZHP was a sexy car; this seems anonymous to me even in Melbourne Red. Guess it's in the eye of the beholder.

Not loving:
N20 - sounds even more diesel-clattery at slow speeds and the sound is getting decidedly worse
Size - while the wife and kids like it, I still feel like the M2 Gran Coupe will be a welcome change

Repairs:
Latest software update has broken my back-up camera. I must now select it each time I put the car in reverse.
A brake clip popped off the right front tire (not one with a bubble). Paid to have that fixed.
Back-up camera goes blank sometimes if I close the trunk from the side instead of the middle.
Two bubbles on RFTs (for the months of manufacture Goodyear has a warranty for road hazards...so given how flimsy the tires are, this is a nice treat).

#43 ·
N20 - sounds even more diesel-clattery at slow speeds and the sound is getting decidedly worse
This is a complaint I haven't fully understood yet. Perhaps it's because it's my first BMW and I don't have history with any of the I6s for comparison. My wife has a diesel in her VW - which is quite loud in the cabin - so using *that* as a basis for comparison, my N20 experience sounds nothing like that. It doesn't sound like an I6 for sure, but it also doesn't sound clattery?

#42 ·
Nice summary and nice that it all feels so good. Mannual tranny makes you stay aware.

#46 ·
Very interesting and informative thread. While my Z4 is being serviced, I have had a 328ixdrive loaner for 3 days including over a weekend. Car is pretty well loaded, Prem Pkg,. CWP, NAV, heated seats, etc. I found it be OK, but I would not buy one. The ASS is very irritating. I know you can disable it but I still do not like it. The overall design is OK, but not striking. Room is adequate but like others have said, it seems rather ponderous for a 3 series. BMW clearly has gone toward luxury and less for performance. I'll keep my Audi A4 Quattro for now. Having been able to drive them back to back has given me an opportunity to compare both over the exact same conditions. Other than room, the Audi wins on most accounts in my book. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a Bimmerhead after over 30 years of ownership but I am concerned that BMW will lose some customers as it continues to go upscale.

#51 ·
Very interesting and informative thread. While my Z4 is being serviced, I have had a 328ixdrive loaner for 3 days including over a weekend. Car is pretty well loaded, Prem Pkg,. CWP, NAV, heated seats, etc. I found it be OK, but I would not buy one. The ASS is very irritating. I know you can disable it but I still do not like it. The overall design is OK, but not striking. Room is adequate but like others have said, it seems rather ponderous for a 3 series. BMW clearly has gone toward luxury and less for performance. I'll keep my Audi A4 Quattro for now. Having been able to drive them back to back has given me an opportunity to compare both over the exact same conditions. Other than room, the Audi wins on most accounts in my book. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a Bimmerhead after over 30 years of ownership but I am concerned that BMW will lose some customers as it continues to go upscale.
Just from my standpoint, the F30 is my first BMW. I really wanted a coupe but my Wife does not like the Coupes at ALL :thumbdwn: but I think they do look better! :thumbup: It appears that the Coupes are being more geared towards the performance enthusiast and Men. Face it, most buyers of the 3er sedans are Women but Men prefer the coupes. That makes sense why BMW would make a 4 series, all the even number cars will have the Men or enthusiasts in mind. I guess we will see shortly when the new 4-series starts selling. I have seen some of the final pictures and it looks stunning! :D

#56 · (Edited)
Thought I'd revisit. 1 year into ownership. 9200 miles.

Good:
- By far this is my most reliable BMW yet. I had some early issues but compared to my other 3 BMWs, this car's been almost perfect in terms of reliability.
- The rear seats/passenger compartment swallows my little family easily. My 8 month old daughter's car seat fits fine and my 4 year old son delights in climbing into the back seat.
- The rear HVAC comes in handy for the month of September when San Diego becomes a hell-hole of heat.
- Trunk space too remains generous.

Bad
- Suspension still feels soft
- Rough and clattery 2.0 continues to annoy
- Car's mega-size still makes me feel like I'm piloting a much bigger vehicle (Yes, I just commented on how my family fits so nicely in it, but if I had to choose between their comfort or my delight in driving - I'd say they're in the car maybe 5% of the time - my fun wins).
- Every 3rd time I close my trunk my backup camera stops working. Shrug, I'll live with it.

Options I'm glad I opted for:
- Grey leather (still would want brown) as it feels so much better than the vinyl and much cooler to the touch than the black.
- Sunshades (with the infant they're awesome)

At this point, I'm giving up on BMW manuals. 4 BMWs and consistently their manuals feel notchy and ill-defined. Overall, it's a good enough car but if it were stolen tomorrow (little chance given it's a manual), a smile would definitely cross my lips.

Do I regret getting it? No. But it sure doesn't excite. It's the ultimate appliance now.

#59 · (Edited)
Thought I'd revisit. 1 year into ownership. 9200 miles.

Do I regret getting it? No. But it sure doesn't excite. It's the ultimate appliance now.
+1 - sums up my feelings - i bought my 328xi to be an appliance and after 2300 miles it is just that albeit ...a nice appliance given its 0-60 time of 5.6 seconds, compliant suspension, and the 38+ mpg the car is able to achieve on the highway.....maybe I would characterize my F30 as the Ultimate BMW Appliance.

#61 ·
Funny you should mention the E39 - my 328xi also reminds me of my e39 525iT - as you said - very nice mix of comfort and competency. I drove my e39 over 100,000 miles. My e39 was not the fastest BMW but the more I drove it - the more I appreciated its inherent goodness. The car was a really good BMW tool. Likewise, my 328xi is not especially noteworthy in any particular category, but its overall competency is such that I may come to appreciate its comeliness over time.

#62 · (Edited)
A month to go for one year ownership.

First and foremost this is the most reliable BMW I have ever owned. Not a single issue (I have 12,345 miles on it now).

I am fine with the ASS because..gulp never have it on. I start the car, turn off the ASS and put it in sport mode. It takes me a couple of seconds to do this so honestly people why even complain about the ASS. Yes it sucks, there are much better systems out there but you can disable it, teach yourself to do this every time you start your car. When you take in your car for service see if the dealer can reprogram for last position setting.

I LOVE the N55 engine, and its worth has been proven not from light to light or acceleration, but on the Hwy between 50mph and 90mph, especially in passing and going uphills.

I have no issue with the steering in sport. I am fine with the road feedback I get in the steering, its firm and plenty direct. Maybe is the VSS, maybe is the DHP I can't tell you. What I can tell you as an ex E90 sport owner that steering was not that much better, maybe a smudge.

Handling in sport and sport+ is awesome and I still have the RFT on it. I can't wait to change rubber because I know its going to be even better. What I don't miss is going into a corner at a good clip in the E90, hitting a bad patch on the road and car gets upset. With DHP, that doesn't happen. Also in the wet the car is very progressive, very easy to drive with rear wheel throttle and its very forgiving. The E90 was also, except on bad roads, the car was not this settled.

I love the split rear seats, I have my bike with me on nice days and go bike riding after work. No more bike racks. Yes the F30 is bigger that the E90 but it has usable space and I have gotten used to the extra size.

For me overall if someone gave me a brand new E90 I would not trade my F30 for a minute.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.