BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

My ///E12 535i Turbo project

42K views 50 replies 21 participants last post by  bmw-mania 
#1 ·
Just over 3 years ago, I bought this very rusted E12 535i. The car was in a horrible condition. My objective was to build an extremely fast street racer and to do everything myself. This was a bit of a problem as I am a chemist and have never worked or done anything on any car in my life. I am nearing completion on my project and I must say that I am very proud of the outcome.

I took section by section and removed all the rust and dents.

This is the car after all the dents and rust was removed. Body is now primed.

As already mentioned, I am a chemist and have never even held a spray gun in my life. I have gone through a lot of trial and error but was eventually happy with the outcome of the white base coat

I then decided to add some color to the car. This was a mistake and later I removed the colors. (follow the thread?)

After a year, I finished the first phase of the project and this was the outcome.

I drove the car for a couple of months and then decided to go to the second phase of the project. In this phase I wanted to remove the ///M colors and do the motor.
Removing the M colors.

Rebuilding the motor took a lot of time, but with the help of Google it was easier said than done. Forged Mahle pistons was used and the bottom end was balanced. Compresion ratio was dropped to 8,0:1. Head was also flowed.

With a lot of elbow grease, I managed to polish some engine parts.

Motor was then put into the engine bay and I started with the turbo plumbing.

I then decided to make my own turbo header. This job is not for the faint hearted. It took me 6 days to build this header.

After all the welding was cleaned, the header was now ready for ceramic coating.

The header after ceramic coating.

The header in position.

The turbo now in possition.

From a different angle.

I also changed the trunk area slightly.

As the E 12 is very heavy and power to weight plays an extremely important role in racing, I decided to shed some weight by replacing the hood with a light weight fibreglass unit. I used the original hood as a plug and made the mould from it.

The finished fibreglass hood.

Looking good on the car.

Another couple of weeks and the car will be done. I am hoping to get around 300wkw and 600wnm from the motor. Please wish me luck???

Regards

See less See more
#16 ·
It was hot here so I stood by the screen to get cool. That is a work of art. Should be in shows not raced! That work is a real credit to you. Good luck. If you drive as well as you build the rest of your class may as well toss a coin for the minor places........

#20 ·
This is a RHD vehicle so the steering box leaves no room for the downpipe! I had to turn the turbo around as there is ample space in the front for the downpipe to exit to the rear. The pipe close to the fire wall is for cold air to the turbo. As this is a project in progress, that set up might change??!!

#30 ·
Phenomenal job! I love everything about this car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.