BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW 320is Limited Edition

3K views 42 replies 14 participants last post by  Rowag 
#1 ·
As posted here , BMW will be offering a limited edition of the racing E90 with the model designation 320is.

4 Cylinders
173 hp (DIN)

See less See more
#28 ·
jboo said:
That's less than 5K euro more than the base 320i. Does the car come equipped with the M Sport kit? Any other additional options other than the engine?
Yes, full M Sport kit with M body kit, sport seats, sport suspension, M steering wheel, M dead pedal, Aluminum interior trim, staggered setup (225/40 8x18 - 255/35 8.5/18), Shadow-Line mirrors, chrome exhaust tip are included in the package.

#29 ·
Cool. Ok, now I want an e90! :D (Although, we'd never, in a million years, get something this cool in the US)

Alex Baumann said:
They slightly modified the engine. Here are some facts from the german press release.

173 DIN hp @ 7000 rpm
147 lb-ft @ 4250 rpm

Same displacement, however they increased the hub by 1mm and reduced the stroke by 2mm. The cylinders are covered with special aluminum instead of cast-iron in the stock version. Increased compression, special pistons, special con-rod and stronger bedplate construction are the other changes.

Unlike the regular version, this one is coming without Valvetronic. It's a pure DOHC. The head cover is CF and saves 10kg ~ 22 lb.

It comes with a 6 speed manual.

Oh, forgot to add, it will have bigger brakes. 16".

#32 ·
whiskey.org said:
um you know it's still going to be slower than a 325 right????????????
With a 4.10, and 200lbs. less? I bet it'd be a lot faster than you think.

#34 ·
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
With a 4.10, and 200lbs. less? I bet it'd be a lot faster than you think.
doesn't the 325 and 330 in the states have different rear ends also, with the smaller power car being lighter and having the lower final drive ratio????

with the 320si running 50 hp down on a 325 and only having 147 ft lbs (all the way up over 4 grand!!!!) I really can't see it giving even a 325 a run for it's money

it's a sort of neat car, but it's not a performance model and I wouldn't buy one unless it was at least 3-4 grand cheaper than a similarly equipped 325

#35 ·
whiskey.org said:
doesn't the 325 and 330 in the states have different rear ends also, with the smaller power car being lighter and having the lower final drive ratio????

with the 320si running 50 hp down on a 325 and only having 147 ft lbs (all the way up over 4 grand!!!!) I really can't see it giving even a 325 a run for it's money

it's a sort of neat car, but it's not a performance model and I wouldn't buy one unless it was at least 3-4 grand cheaper than a similarly equipped 325
-200lbs ~ +20hp

i also remember reading that the I4 e36 had better handling than the 328's because the front ends were lighter.

#41 · (Edited)
whiskey.org said:
not sure how your math works, but where i'm from 217-173=44 hp difference

I'm betting the performance gap between the 320is and 325 is about the same as 325 to 330
for every 10lbs of body weight you lose, (and that can be significant, if you're american :p :stickpoke ) it's equivalent to the effect of adding 1hp in the 1/4mile test. therefore -200lbs is equivalent to +20hp in a 1/4mile test.

similarly, -1lb of wheel weight is equiv to +1hp in a 1/4mile test.

#42 ·
#43 ·
HW said:
for every 10lbs of body weight you lose, (and that can be significant, if you're american :p :stickpoke ) it's equivalent to the effect of adding 1hp in the 1/4mile test. therefore -200lbs is equivalent to +20hp in a 1/4mile test.

similarly, -1lb of wheel weight is equiv to +1hp in a 1/4mile test.
:confused:

That formula can only possibly work within a range around a particular benchmark weight. Otherwise a 235-hp car (or truck) would have 0 hp with a 2350 pound load.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.