BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Wheel selections on the X1

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  GTony 
#1 ·
So i see 3 options on bmwusa web site:

355/18 all season
355/18 RFT
225/19 RFT

To be honest I dont like the big gap between tire and fender, so I am leaning towards the 225/19. Aside from not having the M logo, which is not that big of a deal, i am more concerned about the width of the tire. Being 225 compare to the 355 wouldnt that be too skinny and set the wheels in, also will they not align with the fender? I will really hate that look.

Feedback welcome.

#2 · (Edited)
The tire diameter is the same on all combinations, so you'll have to lower to get rid of gap.

Also, there's no 355/18, just 255/18

I've got a X1 s28i M Sport 225/45r18 and 255/40r18, and the wheels are just the look I like.

I don't necessarily like staggered, but it needs that much rubber to handle 258 ft lbs of torque.

Go to Tirerack.com and look up tire sizes with the specs to see rolling diameters.

When I wear out RFT's I might put 225/40r18 and 255/35r18 on to fix speedo, and give more acceleration; can't size down on the 19's.

Of course that adds more wheel gap which you don't like.

#3 ·
So....maybe I am reading the 355 or 255 wrong, maybe it is a style no or something. But i am pretty sure 19" diameter is an option, it's just going to cost 600 :)

Having the 19" looks a bit better, i was just concern about the width, 355 will be a beast, wouldnt it :D

#7 ·
Umm...why cant you??

I mean, they are both 19", right??!? I would think getting 19" rims allows me to put any 19" wheels.... :dunno:

#12 ·
I think i got it now, if i am not mistaking, the ones i am interested in, the 19", are 19" all around but just different in widths, and thats what make it staggered.

#13 ·
Hi bimmee,
BMW tell me max. width on front 8" but on many other X1 Forums there are much wider wheels with suspension changes/replacements you can look at.
I have 17" Wheels x 7.5" Wide c/w 225/50/17 RFT Tyres. 225's do have a satisfactory wide look. They say max. tyre for 7.5"is a 235.
Got from USA 4-18x7.5 Wheels. Would have liked wider but after long search, was exact style I wanted. The upside of this wheel is they also have a 9" wide which would give me the option of putting 2 on the back for a Staggered Fitment.
If I went with the staggered it would be 18"x7.5"c/w 225/45 profile/18 tyres on the front and 18"x9"c/w 255/40 profile/18 tyres on the rear.
19"wheels, you would be looking at Lower Profile tyres. Around city OK but rough/poor quality roads I would want decent Profile Rubber between road and wheel, especially with expensive wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.