BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Running Toward the Light

32K views 201 replies 37 participants last post by  Princeton 
#1 ·
Over the past few days I think I've read every post available on the 'fest, on M3 Post and E90 Post regarding replacing the stock halogen angel eye bulbs. Now that I've done my research I have some questions:

1) It looks like there are two major ways to go - either replacing the halogen bulbs with bulbs that are blue coated to shed the "white" light. ie - GP Thunders and competitors

and

2) Replacing the halogen bulbs with an LED bulb ie Angel iBright - Lux H8 - Weisslicht.

I know that the LED replacements are a lot more expensive.

The M3 guys all seem to love the Angel iBright setup ($300), and from what I've seen in photographs, this appears to be a pretty close approximation of what I remember seeing last summer when they had an LCI E93 on display at the Welt.

Yet, when I read the fine print of the sigs around here, it seems like most of the E9X that have made this modification have done so with the GP Thunders. ($20)

1) Is cost the only reason people aren't doing the Angel iBrights?

2) Are the GP Thunders really that good?

ps: E92LIghting, JLeviSW and EAS - I know you all are going to show up here and try to sell me. I've already studied your websites and your products. What I am looking for here is real time - real data from the day to day users.

TIA

See less See more
#2 ·
Perhaps, I'm confused, but couldn't you just replace them with the OEM bulbs that now come standard on the LCI coupes? Those are white (and LED I presume). Or do those not work, or are they even more expensive.

#3 ·
I am already confused....the light is too bright, with all my might, I will fight, it will be tight, but the thread will take flight, and be all right.

#4 ·
Good question, C-Dub, but the answer is you can't. Apparently the LED's need a ballast and heat sink, which is part of the cost of the conversion kits. Amazing thing is that the Angel ibright system isn't even the top end of things. There is another system OSS which requires you send your headlight units to Florida for retrofitting.

(Cute avatar pic, BTW!)

#5 ·
I knew you would have already researched that. :) I guess there is more to the white light than just a bulb change. Seems interesting that an LED bulb needs more heat management than the halogen brethren.

(Thanks.)

#6 ·
Yep. I'm not an engineer, but it does seem counter intuitive that the LEDs aren't cooler. Most peoples complaints about many of the options are that the outer rings are not fully lit and/or the after market solutions aren't bright enough.

#7 ·
I think there's another question, Kat. Since your light reflector(s) are now perfectly matched to your OE bulb for an ideal beam pattern, will any replacement bulb be of the same size/dimensions, and not adversely affect your beam pattern.

#8 ·
I'm not sure I understand your question.
When you say reflectors, I am presuming you mean the corona rings (to use the proper BMW terminology). From what I understand in my reading, that is where many aftermarket solutions fall short.
There is one bulb that illuminated the inner ring and the outer ring is lit purely by reflection off the inner ring. If I correctly understand what I've read, aligning the bulb in the socket is critical to getting the rings to illuminate, let alone illuminate properly.
Apparently, the aftermarket bulbs are the correct dimensions, but we all know that just because its the right size doesn't mean it necessarily does the job properly.

#12 · (Edited)
:dunno:
I thought I was dead set against any non OEM thing too. Then we went to the Welt last summer and I got to see the LED angel eyes on the E93 there and I fell deeply into lust.

Besides, it's kind of a para-OEM thing. BMW has already done it - I'm just thinking of freshening the '09. ;)

That is why I've done so much research - trying to find the right color, the right intensity....

EDIT: The photo from Terry's website is a good explanation of what I would like to accomplish generically.

#11 ·
I don't know if that is really an issue with the Corona rings. This modification would not affect the adaptive Xenon or the inner cornering lights. I don't perceive the corona rings as having a beam pattern so to speak.

#18 ·
Yes, the LED angel eyes on your cabrio are part of the E92/E93 LCI facelift. Since I plan on keeping my E93 quite a while and I don't have to worry about turning it in on a lease, I thought improving the angel eyes to the updated configuration (or as close as I could get to it) might be a worthwhile thing to do.

From all my reading, the biggest reason I've been hesitant to jump into the bulbs like the GP Thunders is many people say they dim over time or aren't very bright in full daylight. Can/would you post a pic of your cabrio angel eyes in full daylight?

(ps: I thought about a thread title of "Blinded by the Light", but I knew that would definitely engender silly song response.)

#20 ·
Yes, the LED angel eyes on your cabrio are part of the E92/E93 LCI facelift. Since I plan on keeping my E93 quite a while and I don't have to worry about turning it in on a lease, I thought improving the angel eyes to the updated configuration (or as close as I could get to it) might be a worthwhile thing to do.

From all my reading, the biggest reason I've been hesitant to jump into the bulbs like the GP Thunders is many people say they dim over time or aren't very bright in full daylight. Can/would you post a pic of your cabrio angel eyes in full daylight?

(ps: I thought about a thread title of "Blinded by the Light", but I knew that would definitely engender silly song response.)
The only AE replacements that can offer that kind of intense brightness are OSS and possibly LUX.

Do you have first hand experience with them?
I have a friend in town that has them, yes. What would you like to know?

#23 ·
The only AE replacements that can offer that kind of intense brightness are OSS and possibly LUX.

I have a friend in town that has them, yes. What would you like to know?
Interesting that you mention the LUX. From what I've read, Angel iBright are brighter than LUX. LUX is not quite as pricey. OSS way more pricey.

That is why I was really hoping to turn up someone who has done the Angel iBright to get their take on it.

GT, since you seem to run with a pack, do any of your friends have a new coupe that could be parked next to your friends car with the Mtecs and a comparo photo taken?

get a new E93!
LOL. I just turned 11K yesterday - it is essentially a 'new' E93. ;)

#15 · (Edited)
#19 ·
Do you have first hand experience with them?

#24 · (Edited)
Let there (not) be light. In NH we have annual safety inspections, each vehicle is done in the month of the owner's birthday. Naturally we are required to check lights. To paraphrase to the best of my ability...

"All factory equipped exterior lights must function as intended. No lights of any kind may be added to the exterior. All bulbs must be of the same wattage, color, and type as those which were certified for the vehicle."

We could not issue a safety sticker for a car modified the way you intend Kat. We are not a high crime area, so yes, the State and local cops do stop and ticket cars for modified lighting. I know this because the owners come to me to sign off on a form saying that they reverted to the original (at least while it was at my shop:eeps:)
TX; YMMV

Edit One of my techs went on to become a city cop. He works the graveyard shift and often is on call to twist wrenches if we get busy. He has said that he rarely stops cars just for a light infraction, but will give a ticket as an add-on for attitude. What all cops constantly stop for is window tint on the front door windows and windshield. They really dislike the stuff.

#29 ·
Let there (not) be light. In NH we have annual safety inspections, each vehicle is done in the month of the owner's birthday. Naturally we are required to check lights. To paraphrase to the best of my ability...

"All factory equipped exterior lights must function as intended. No lights of any kind may be added to the exterior. All bulbs must be of the same wattage, color, and type as those which were certified for the vehicle."

We could not issue a safety sticker for a car modified the way you intend Kat. We are not a high crime area, so yes, the State and local cops do stop and ticket cars for modified lighting. I know this because the owners come to me to sign off on a form saying that they reverted to the original (at least while it was at my shop:eeps:)
TX; YMMV.
DSX,
You always present rational, logical counterpoints and give food for thought. I had no idea that making a modification of this type which not be putting weird colored lights on the car could be grounds for failing an inspection. Then again, when I was contemplating my almost invisible tint you explained that tinted windows are verboten in NH. (NH runs a tight ship!)

How would one go about searching for Texas Safety Inspection Rules and Regs?
My Indy mechanic has already told me he hopes if I ever get stopped the LEO has a sense of humor about the umlat on my license plate. I would hope that because the newer E92s and E93s have the LED angel eyes that putting them on an '09 might slip under the radar.

I have a PM in to one of the 'festers that lives here in town who indicated in one of the M3 Post threads I read about the Angel iBrights that he planned on getting them. He may be able to shed some light :angel: on the Texas Inspection guidelines which would be very helpful.

Kat, whatever you decide, and if the outcome is positive and to your standards, I am going to go that route...I saw a spankin new335i today with the white angel eyes, like em better than the audi eyelashes...
That's putting a lot of pressure on me. ;)

Will work on the pictures Kat.

But I'll have to give my cabrio a full wash and polish the rims a bit so as not to embarass myself. Yikes. :)
Thanks!

#26 ·
Kat, whatever you decide, and if the outcome is positive and to your standards, I am going to go that route...I saw a spankin new335i today with the white angel eyes, like em better than the audi eyelashes...

#28 ·
I went with GP thunders 6K for my angels cause of price ($20), easy simple install (just remove & replace), and hated OEM yellow. The other alternatives are definitely better and brighter but there is a price that comes with it.
The reason why BMW changed them recently to bright white instead of yellow was thanks to all the new Audi cars with their bright LEDs

#30 · (Edited)
I think DSX is onto something. Automotive lighting is regulated by federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS 108) which most, if not all state's will recognize. The luminosity (brightness) of headlights (and other lamps) is regulated, thus replacement lights must carry the "DOT" marking or they are illegal (I feel like an old fart now). Make sure that any replacement bulbs that you get are marked 'DOT.' Made in China? Don't even THINK about it!

#31 ·
Kat, what I say and what I might do are not neccessarily the same. I just wanted you to be aware that lighting modification may run afoul of the law. Little did I know at the time that you were scarifying license plates with umlauts! Get a grasp there Bonnie, or you and Clyde are going down!
I took the side reflectors off my front fenders, guess what the law says about that...I've made engine mods and not had them EPA certified, again I'm going straight to jail. And I've got things on my windshield partially obstructing the driver's field of view! But what is life without a little spice, and this is small potatos (mixed metaphor?).
I'll see what I can find out about TX vehicle safety requirements for you. In the meantime, full speed ahead! (I'd do it.)

#33 ·
Minor poster (only 490) is invisible! I request permission to post through DSX from now on. :(

#37 ·
#41 · (Edited)
As to the poster way back claiming BMW changed their LED/HID lights cuz Audi had them is incorrect. They changed em, like Mercedes too, as they are brighter running lamps, and therfor safer, though more expensive, and a new technology the Germans embraced first, in a few years, most the Japs will have em too...and better detroit cars (Caddy). They are far more visible, therfor, safety factor increases..unless your going 120mph in a 55mph...

Motorcycles will be the next big user of the lights, which is an excellent application of the technology, as they dont have much frontal area to see when cars turn out into oncoming traffic...

#42 ·
RB :thumbup:
I seem to remember seeing a post here about 6-9 months ago about BMW putting LED tech into their motorcycle head lamps.

Isn't that leading edge of engineering and technology part of the appeal? Is is for me.

#44 · (Edited)
Having lived in Houston, TX for a short time some years ago (horrible experience), the sooner your headlights can reflect on an armadillo's eye's, the better, in order to avoid hitting it. The animal's eye has what is called "tapetum lucidum" as with other mammals. Is this Kat's incentive...to avoid animal collision damage? With improved lighting, you may also be able to see a rogue Texas longhorn on the road at a greater distance. I know about this, having had close calls during my Texas experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapetum_lucidum

(think I'm at 500 now, am I still a minor poster? Further posts will be more pertinent)

#46 ·
I once failed vehicle inspection in Texas because my steering wheel (which I had changed) was too small. They were just playing me though. It passed in a different shop.

I think you'd be fine brightening up those halos, Katster, and I want to know what you eventually choose. I may join you in that mod.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

#52 ·
"Gussied up" great TX phrase.

You know Kat, I bet you clean up real good.
Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
:dunno: I guess so......when I want to. ;)

Kat, I can tell you that my car has passed Texas' inspection with aftermarket DEPO LED brake lights. At my next inspection my car will have DEPO LED brakes lights and Amber LED turn signals. It will have to pass, if for no other reason than that they look so dang good. :)

I was looking in my owner's manual last night trying to find specs on the bulbs used on my car. What I found was "Parking lamps, roadside parking lamps, 5 watt bulb, W 5 W". Is this what we are talking about? From the picture it looks like it must be. There are separate instructions and bulb types for the headlights, DRLs and turn signal lights.
Hey, thanks for the :thumbup::thumbup: regarding your car passing Texas inspections with alterations. It widens the comfort zone tremendously - and yes, it's the DRLs that I am specifically planning on altering.

Kat, have you looked at these? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-0...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories . Here's the Ebay search I did - http://motors******.ebay.com/i.html..._osacat=33713&bkBtn=&_trksid=p4506.m270.l1313 - Bimmerfest is being weird - type ****** where the asterisks are. Or just do your own search. You don't need me to take hold your hand, do you?
I think I'm going to buy a set of these from the same seller - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170606638487&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Of course not. I've done some reading - there are a lot of aftermarket solutions out there with the price ranging from $20 to nearly $600.

These are similar to the Angel iBrights in that they are LEDs.

A couple years ago, I bought a pair of GP Thunder 8500K for $16 + $5 shipping. They've served me well. The color output is much whiter than stock and more closely matches the HID xenons. They look great at night, dusk and dawn, but can look slightly washed out in full and direct sunlight. That's why I'm debating about getting the Weisslicht LED's.

As far as inspections go, I've never had any problem. If you think about it, how could they give you a hassle? Angel eyes are just DRL's which are not required by law anyway. In my iDrive, and I suppose the OBC stalk as well, you can choose whether enable or disable the DRL's all together.
Thanks for your comment about inspections - more evidence to make me move forward.

I've pretty much ruled out the GP Thunders now, based on real life commentary - and I appreciate that people have jumped in and expressed what they have and what their thoughts are after running with them for a while.

Here is the link to the M3 Post that really steered me toward the Angel ibrights.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253592&highlight=angel+ibright

On another thread GTwang posted a link to an E90 post thread that really was a great comparison between the different aftermarket solutions. If I can find his link I'll repost it here.

I went into this thinking I'd go with Weisslicht, I soon started thinking LUX would be better and now I'm really settling on the Angel iBright. (They aren't the cheapest solution, but if they do the job as well as the photographs I've seen - then I think I can be happy with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.