BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Production finally complete!

7K views 98 replies 18 participants last post by  crop 
#1 ·
My 2014 328i completed production yesterday and is now awaiting transport to the port. So excited -- of course, I know it is going to be at least another six weeks or so before I see the car... I'm getting more anxious each day LOL! :rofl:

Alpine white, black Leatherette, dark burl walnut trim, Technology package, heated seats, Harmon Kardon Stereo.

Yeah, I did NOT get Xenon's but did not feel I needed them in Los Angeles. ;)

All I can say is this sure will be a different (more fun) experience than driving the Toyota Prius to work every day. :thumbup:

#41 ·
That sucks :-(

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#42 ·
That sucks :-(

No offense, but why does this suck?

There were seemingly many production delays (at least with mine, and a few other forum members) with 2013 F30's. I waited 6 weeks from order to start of production ... They likely do want to ship out the 13's first.

They started production on your vehicle by quite a few days, I'm sure it will be shipped in no time.

#43 ·
It sucks because he's excited for his car, and has to wait. I didn't say it was wrong, just that it sucks he has to wait longer after being so excited

#45 ·
I feel your pain.

My car finally made in onto the ship Morning Concert. But I still have only about 4 weeks (I hope) left to wait.

At the moment it is really fun tracking the the ship's position on the web. It seems to be moving so slowly, as I find myself checking its progress daily.

I'm sure your car will make it onto the next ship, as it was only completed 2 days after mine.

#46 ·
I remember that pain. Here are my dates, for West coast delivery to Seattle:

Order Documented: 7 March 2013
Production Began: 21 March 2013
Production Ended: 29 March 2013
En Route to the U.S.: 13 April 2013, on vessel Pleiades Leader, sailing from Bremerhaven
Arrived in Cristobal, Panama: 27 April 2013
Heading north, in the Pacific: 28 April 2013
Due in U.S.: 10 May 2013, in Port Hueneme, CA.
In port, in San Diego: 5 May 2013
In port, at BMW vehicle processing center, Port Hueneme, CA.: 7 May 2013
Finishing Touches: 10 May 2013
At BMW Dealer: 15 May 2013, 10:30am.

#48 · (Edited)
i'm kinda curious why seattle deliveries aren't offloaded at the port of tacoma, since it's listed as the final port of call for a lot of the vessels stopping at port hueneme.
Because BMW has a huge prep center in Oxnard about a mile from Port Hueneme. They clean the cars and do a final inspection before they hit the truck to your dealer.

If they offloaded in Tacoma BMW would need another prep center there and I assume that would not be as cost effective as having just one for the West Coast.

Here is a post about the prep center. There are two prep centers on the East Coast though.

#51 ·
According to the 800 number, my vehicle is now in transit to the final port of delivery! Spoke with someone and was told the ship left on the 22nd and arrives in Port Hueneme in Oxnard on August 15. He didn't know the ship name though.

Strange thing is I don't see a ship leaving Bremerhaven on the 22nd. I wonder if it left from a different port or with a different carrier? I don't see my VIN with the tracking feature on W&W's site either.

I emailed my CA and am waiting on a reply -- it's only 7:45 am here. ;)

#52 ·
Hrmm - according to the Port of Hueneme, there is a vessel called the Grand Vega that arrives on 8/15/13 with cargo of "BMW / Toyo".

I wonder if that is my ship? I'm trying to locate to see if it left Bremerhaven but haven't been able to track that down yet. And the normal site for tracking the ship shows it as "out of range" right now. *shrug*

#54 ·
Sure... so far it's like this for my 328:

June 28 -- order placed by dealer
July 1 - vehicle starts production
July 10 - vehicle production complete
July 12 - Vehicle on carrier to port of exit
July 15 - Vehicle at port of exit awaiting a shipping vessel
July 22- Vehicle being shipped to USA
August 15 (?) - Vehicle arrives in Port Hueneme for final prep and delivery to dealer

;)

Robert

#64 ·
I'm confused, because I know I'm on a boat that left on the 22nd and arrives in California on 8/15 but....

1. I don't know the ship name.
2. My VIN still doesn't populate on the W&W site
3. The ship departed on the 22nd according to BMW, but there is no departure according to W&W's site until the 29th.

I'll let you know as soon as I know what ship I'm on -- I don't think it was shipped through W&W though.

#67 · (Edited)
My CA has confirmed that I am on a ship called the Grand Vega. It arrives on August 15 into Port Hueneme.

From what I can tell, it isn't operated by W&W??????

Port Hueneme arrival schedule PDF is at http://www.portofhueneme.org/documents/201307191437-vessel_schedule.pdf

This shows the Grand Vega arriving with BMW cargo on August 15.

Earlier today, btw, I was guessing that I was on the Grand Vega solely on the facts that the 800 number said I was on a ship and the ship would arrive on the 15th, and the only ship arriving into Port Hueneme on the 15th is the Grand Vega and it showed cargo as "BMW / Toyo".

But now my CA has confirmed the ship name for me so I'm 100% certain I am on the Grand Vega.

Robert

#68 ·
Got it. This shipping company may be an alternative to W&W since you are on the West Coast possibly? Good thing is you are on a boat floating closer to your dealer. Good luck with your new ride! :thumbup:

#69 ·
BMW does use the K-Line to ship to the West Coast as well as W&W. This is lifted from a post on Bimmerfest that tells in detail the production and shipping process:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4383536#1

3.1 - BMW ships with several cargo lines and carriers, depending on the destination.
• Wallenius&Wilhelmsen (parent company for several ship lines listed below)
• EUKOR - a division of Wallenius Lines
• UECC - another division of Wallenius Lines
• A.P. Möller - yet another division and ship line owned or operated by Wallenius Lines
• Mark 1 Shipping - owned or operated by Wallenius Lines
• K-LINE (Usually BMW West Coast deliveries only, but sometimes ships to NY/NJ as NYK-Line) K-Line is not a W&W company
• ARC - Often operated by, or under the direction of Wallenius Lines

If you ever get a chance to visit the VDC in Oxnard, it's quite a trip - I did one in 2007. The LA Chapter of BMWCCA has organized a few of these over the years.

#77 ·
Good news

That's great news that your car is now on its way.

Now you can have fun tracking the ships progress across the Atlantic. I have been tracking the Morning Concert for about a week now. It seems to go so slowly.

#82 ·
Once production begins, you can expect your vehicle in 6 to 8 weeks. Getting a production number is all about your dealer having an allocation from the factory to order the vehicle for you. When they can place the order with BMW, they can give you a production number and that 6 to 8 week timeframe starts ticking.

#97 ·
Getting a production number... timeframe starts ticking.
...no hurricanes coming north from Africa so that's a good thing.
Rob/Watson any updates to your car? I am playing the waiting game as of now. Previously my prod end date was Aug 10th which got changed to 12th and now it says on the VR as it is paint shop. thats totally weird. I saw the f30 production video on You tube and after paint is the main work carried out on F30 with Nuts/Bolts and transmission fitment. How in the hell is that going to complete in the same day and prod finish on 12th? :dunno:

#95 ·
Congratulations! Share some pics when you have it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.