BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

My Blog

16K views 144 replies 13 participants last post by  southern6er22 
#1 ·
I started a blog to create a central base for my reviews/posts, pictures, videos, etc. I'll still be posting here and on 6post, but I wanted to get it all linked to one place.

I know I need to get a life... :rofl:

http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/

#33 ·
I don't have to have the front plate in Alabama, so I haven't paid too close attention to the ways to mount and/or get around mounting one (I've heard some pretty clever solutions).

#35 ·
Someone (I forget who it was, and I'm too lazy to go back and find it) a while back said that if they got a ticket, then they taped the plate on the front, snapped a picture, sent it to the gov't, and they dropped the ticket.

#43 ·
That was me. I used Velcro, took a picture, and then took it off. I'm not mounting that thing.

#36 ·
#37 ·
I just checked the stats on my blog, and I've had over 5,100 views (from people in 10 different countries) of the blog and more than 2,600 views of my videos. Glad to see people are checking them out. The idea started as a way to consolidate all of my stuff in one place online rather than scattered throughout threads on these forums, and I never imagined that many people would be checking them out. Thanks for checking it out :)

#38 ·
Just wanted to pop in and say THANKS for your blog. I'm one of those (normally) anon readers, and I truly enjoy it.

Keep up the great work!

PS: Went for a test drive in a 650i convertible a couple days ago. Loved it! My thoughts are leaning towards waiting for the 2013 models, since I'm in no rush.

#39 ·
Glad you like it :)

I'd wait for a 2013 at this point if I were you. The rational side of my brain told me to wait, but the 10 year old boy inside of me needed immediate satisfaction - and that still took 2.5 months after placing my order. There's a chance that they'll put the tweaked 445 hp engine in the 2013, although I tend to think they won't. Regardless, I'd still wait considering how late it is in the cycle. They'd have to throw a hell of a deal at me to buy a 2012 at this point in the year. Glad you liked the car. A normal test drive doesn't do the car justice... at least mine didn't. I found that to be a good thing because it made the car that much greater once I took delivery.

#44 ·
Southern, did your car get louder after the break in period, or was it always loud? Doing some detective work here.

#45 ·
I can't say that I notice a difference from the day I got it and today. I think it's always been about the same. How do my videos compare to what your hear?

#46 ·
NYC traffic...can't tell.

#53 ·
I made another video today showcasing the M-tuned exhaust. I think these sound clips are a little better than the last video.

*Sorry some of the shots are blurry. I didn't think about focusing the iPhone as it was mounted behind my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muUqyb31CN8&feature=plcp

#58 ·
Haha. Thanks :)

The M3 as it is a lot lighter, so I'd imagine it would likely win. I think it would be pretty close as the 650xi would get off the line faster, and the torque figure is a little higher (if I remember correctly).

BTW, what brand of shades do you wear in order to clearly view your HUD?

Do you think you'd be comfortable in the 6-series seat while driving to California?
I'm using non-polarized Oakley's, and they work perfectly. I'm sure any brand is fine so long as they aren't polarized. I had a pair of polarized I used of a long time, and I'm not horribly bothered by the lack of polarization. I'd be more bothered by lack of the HUD display.

This car was designed as a GT, so I'd live to drive it across the country. Hopefully I can do that some day soon :)

#56 ·
Anything non-polarized works. Ray Bans work fine, but polarized lenses make the HUD disappear.

As for comfortable, definitely comfortable for long trips. I'd drive it to CA.

#57 ·
I am taking delivery of my 6 next week! On my 5 series, the HUD is noticeably dimmer with polarized lenses (Maui Jims, Oakley), but still very usable. Maybe the 6 series is more sensitive, but I guess I will find out soon enough!

#59 ·
It's probably the same. It's dimmer but still usable. I just prefer the brighter, crisper display. It's worth the money to have two pairs - one polarized and one non-polarized. The non-polarizer are really pretty cheap by comparison. I think mine were about $130 to $150, and Oakley makes nearly every style with both types of lenses.

#63 ·
My plan is to place an order for the 2013 right away. It'll be BTO so I will get everything I want, and option packages are actually a bit better for me for the 2013 too. No sense in me waiting any longer than needed since it's the 2013 I really want anyways.

It was too late to cancel the 2012 by the time I found out about the MY changes for 2013. I could've just refused delivery of the 2012, but getting the 2012 then the 2013 in rapid succession makes sure I don't have the (small) inconvenience of just having a single car for a few months, while also getting me the latest and greatest model right away.

This deal is dependent on me OK-ing the language of the "contract" which needs to be iron clad, or at least enough for me to sleep at night. I don't think these guys would pull a fast one on me but I need to protect myself regardless. We had a handshake agreement for a different car a few months ago, but they had to renege for various reason (and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that it was a simple mixup). But unlike last time, if something goes wrong I'll be "stuck" with the 2012.

#68 ·
#69 ·
Good stuff!

#71 ·
Not yet! Picking up my '12 this afternoon and will hopefully have some time to make the '13 order. I will see how the Carbon Black strikes me in person before deciding that vs Citrin. Right now leaning towards Carbon. I am really hoping I can get Canyon Brown interior with my option combo...

#72 ·
I do love the Carbon Black, and it surprises me every day. Last night while leaving a restaurant I looked out into the parking lot at my car, and it looked Jet Black given the setting sun and rainy skies. Earlier in the day, it was pushing Deep Sea Blue in direct sunlight. It is a very cool color.

If you see a car with Citrin Black, will you snap some pics (preferrably from a few angles to get direct light, indirect, etc.) and post them? I'm very interested in this color and have never seen it in person. Another plus of the Citrin is it will be more unique as the Carbon Black M Sport Coupes are growing in number, at least around here: Jonny, Itinj, me, and several others here and on 6Post. I think the rare factor alone would be enough of a reason for me - assuming I don't dislike the color in person.

I'm really hoping they let you do the Canyon Brown. That combo (with Piano Black, as below) looks amazing with all of the contrast stitching, different leathers, etc. If you get this interior, promise me you'll take a bunch of pics and post them so I can have some new pictures to drool over - getting kinda sick of mine. jk :)

Attachments

#73 ·
I love the Canyon Brown interior (for the GC, maybe?), but I'm just not a fan of Piano Black trim.

#74 ·
LOL I screenshotted that exact same interior combination on BMWUSA last week. I drool over it daily. I am cautiously optimistic the combo is doable - namely with the M Sport. If not I will probably fall back to Cinnabon.

As far as Citrin is concerned I doubt I will see any in person - so it would be a blind pick basically. But I will definitely take/post some pics if I do. I have seen some awesome pictures of the GC in that color in full sunlight and it's fantastic IMO - though only on the internet. Under normal weather conditions, maybe less compelling. So it's a bit of an uphill decision for me. My main concern is, if both colors look basically like flat black 75% of the time, is there really a point?

#75 ·
I'd say the "looks like" break down for Carbon Black is true black 20%, Deep Sea Blue-ish 30%, and "is that black or blue, okay I guess it's black with strong blue undertones" 50%. I'm not sure about the break down for the Citrin Black, but it is probably somewhat similar - just with greenish/yellowish/goldish undertones. For the exclusivity alone, I think $1800 for a paint upgrade is worth the money if you like it and they let you do it. I'm still regretting passing on the B&O, which was $3700 more, because I feel like the kid on the playground that doesn't have the cool new toy everyone else has... oh yeah, and the sound is amazing (but this bugs me less, if I'm honest :D ).

If, God forbid, they don't let you combine M Sport with Individual paint and Merino, then I'd definitely opt for the M Sport. Looking at your car history in your signature, I think you'd be disappointed with the exhaust note from the non-M variant... especially since you had a Maserati (so jealous, btw :) ). My mom's Yukon XL Denali has a very loud grumble when it starts up, and I can imagine your wife's Range Rover has a note just as loud if not louder. I'm not sure about you, but I just couldn't live with the fact that my $100k BMW might sound lame compared to my mom/wife's vehicle. The M Sport exhaust is worth every bit of the price, and the steering wheel, wheels, headliner, body kit, etc. are just lagniappe.

#76 ·
Awesome breakdown - much appreciated as always! What I will probably do is place the '13 order with one color, then change my mind and finally pick the other. In the interim I will see how the Carbon suits me since I will have time before it goes into production (I think). But I may go with Citrin just to change it up. Or the Carbon... Or...

Agree with you on M-Sport 1000% - doing without it is not an option for me so all else is secondary. Sound is definitely important. While my 5 series throttle is as smooth as pouring a glass of scotch, the engine is relatively deficient in the aural department. I've really missed that over the last 3 years. Hard to tell which engine I liked better, the V8 screamer in the Maser or the V10 in the S6 - totally different but both exceedingly awesome in their own way. I guess I would tip my hat to the Maser if I had to pick just one, but I think the S6 was the better car overall - and I definitely miss it more now that I drive more often than 12 times per year.

Pleasantly surprised with the RR Sport - you're right it's definitely got a beefy sound - very cool. And considering it's 1 heavy piece of poopie, it drives very well too.

#77 ·
Awesome breakdown - much appreciated as always! What I will probably do is place the '13 order with one color, then change my mind and finally pick the other. In the interim I will see how the Carbon suits me since I will have time before it goes into production (I think). But I may go with Citrin just to change it up. Or the Carbon... Or...
Sounds like a good plan to me. When the awe of the Carbon wares off, then you get to start fresh with the Citrin :)

I'm a bit jealous of Itinj as he got to do the convertible thing for a while and is now in a coupe. Every time I see the convertible a little piece of me wishes that I had one. At the end of the day, I'm still glad I got the coupe as it is the body style I really wanted for this car at this point in my life. I'd actually like a Carbon Black Coupe and a Citrin Black Convertible :thumbup:

#81 ·
Just picked mine up! I will post some pics tomorrow or Sunday - today was a long day and just now getting to making myself some dinner. It basically looks identical to your's, souther6er2341241, in case you need a mental picture in the interim. I have all of 11 miles on it, but it's already made an impression. It's like a cross between my old Maser and Audi S6, definitely an aggressive sound!

#84 ·
Congrats.

I know what you mean about the parking cameras. Wouldn't be without them now.

#85 ·
Also learned that Canyon Black cannot be ordered with M Sport + Executive Package - 1 of them would have to be deleted. The former means I need to lose the HUD, which is non-negotiable - while the latter is likewise 100% mandatory for me. They are checking with BMWNA to see if they can special order something, but given that the cinnabon interior looks darker/better than the I expected I can live it if I needed to.

#88 ·
Did you post some interior pics somewhere? I could have sworn that I saw some Cinnamon shots, then I clicked away for a second, and now I can't find them. Maybe I dreampt it... and it would just be sad if I dreaming about 6er interiors lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.