BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Oh, you're NOT going to believe what just happened to me..

200K views 1K replies 264 participants last post by  Boraxo 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So, I take my car to Flow BMW (the one that's on Peters Creek Pkwy, in Winston-Salem) to have my tire looked at. Sitting in the lounge, reading my book. A pleasant looking fellow comes out.

- Hi, I'm the general manager, please come with me.

I'm a little apprehensive but follow anyway. Racking my brain, trying to figure out what I did wrong. I don't have a chip in my car or anything, everything is stock... Walk into his office. Dimly lit, there's another dour-looking dude sitting in the corner. He's not smiling, kind of gives me a menacing stare.

- Have a seat.

Ookay then. I sit down.

- Is your alias c-o-o-n-t-i-e on bimmerfest?

I go, "HUH?"

- ARE YOU COONTIE?

I stammer, "Uh.. no." (OK, I wasn't gonna crack on the first question! Once the cattleprods were to come out, maybe then but surely not immediately. Plus, I think I'd be less flabbergasted if he had said, "We have a new M3 we don't need, it's your to keep.")

- Well, we have a reason to believe you are.

Then, he takes out a manila folder and (looking at it upside-down), it's full of my bimmerfest print-outs, certain passages highlighted. He takes a page out.

- It says here you once referred to buying a car at our dealership as "like being sodomized with a broomstick."

I squirm a little and go, "So, you have your own little Gestapo research unit, is that it?"

The sullen-looking dude in the corner (at this point they got the whole good cop/bad cop production thing going on here) says, "We don't like it when people maliciously slander our dealership."

I kinda stammer.. "Well, it wasn't slander, really, I just told people the truth. I didn't like being treated like an idiot by your saleswoman, it just wasn't a pleasant experience. Especially that when I offered $1k over ED invoice to your sales lady over there, she laughed in my face and said she's worked for 15 years and never did ED and no way would I get a 3yr lease for less than $700/month. I then went to Ricki in NY @ DiFeo and leased my car in 10 mins! For the price I wanted! AND! She didn't laugh in my face! So, how about that?!"

The good cop says, "So, you like Dunkin Donuts?"

I go, "what?!"

He says (taking another post from the folder) - right here, you said, "There's a Dunkin Donuts across the street, you can wait there during service."

I'm like, "Ok. SO?" (trying to see if these two really, REALLY hate Dunkin Donuts for some reason. They didn't look like it though.)

(cue in the bad cop)

- Well, when you go buy a donut that costs $3.50, do you offer them three dollars?!

I go, "A car is not a donut, first of all. Second of all, if you're so concerned about good image, why not just offer people fair prices, instead of putting on a whole dog & pony show?"

He says, "Because buying a car is like buying a horse. People have been doing it for centuries. It's called, 'NEGOTIATION.'"

I'm like, "Well, why would you waste my time in the name of this 'negotiation' instead of just selling it for a fair price and be done with it?"

Anyway, this "Waiting for Godot"-like back & forth theater continues for a little bit. Then the bad cop says, "OK, if you hate us so much, you can't come here any longer" or some such thing. I took my book and left, basically.
___

Thinking about it for a bit, I'm sure they were gunning for me for a while. I'm stunned that a dealership would have this Stasi-like group of people, trying to flush out whoever's posting bad reviews about them.

What do you guys think? Incredible, eh?

[Note from Moderator: The owner of the dealership, Mr. Don Flow, first replies to the OP in post #835.]

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, that is incredible. Don't they think you are going to post what happened?

#3 ·
Thats wild! If I dimed out my local dealership, I'd be toast given my screen name on this site as well as the description of my car. It would take them about 30 secs to figure out who I was.

BTW its not defamation (libel or slander) if its the truth. Sounds like the dealership sucks and you did well to get your BMW elsewhere.

I'd have a hard time taking such a lame interrogation seriously though :)

#8 ·
I'd have a hard time taking such a lame interrogation seriously though :)
Heh. Now I know what spies have going through their heads when their covers are blown. :)

I swear, it was BEYOND surreal. I felt like any minute they were going to put a hood over my head & haul me off to some sub-basement BMW dungeon, where leather-clad S&M dudes would go medieval on my ass, Pulp Fiction style.

Whatever. I don't really wanna say any more bad stuff about them because they know where I live now.

#4 ·
You are a finer gentleman than I am. I would have told them where to kiss me and walked out. I assure you that the conversation would have gone like this.......:flipoff:

#109 ·
You are a finer gentleman than I am. I would have told them where to kiss me and walked out.
After the first question, I would have asked what they wanted to ask me about the car that I brought in for service. If they had persisted, I would have told them that the conversation would have to continue with my attorney in the room. Then I would have walked out.

Sounds like the OP got them in one of their soft spots (kind of like Ross Perot's response to how to get an elephant (GM) to dance - take a sharp stick and start poking in the soft spots....)

#6 · (Edited)
Unbelievable ! Hope you have better luck with the next one you go to.I have had a very bad experience while i was bimmer shopping.
Venue: Markel BMW, Omaha(50 miles from my home - Lincoln).
Background: I went to the dealership with my wife after enquiring about the CPO 3-series from their inventory.The salesperson(#1) on the phone confirms the ones i was interested were indeed, certified(CPO).
Scene :The salesperson(#1) is no where to be found.So some other chum(#2) tries to help us.We had the stock ids with us, but it appeared they lacked close monitoring of their inventory.He finally locates the car after making us wait for almost an hour for the test drive.During which #2 tells me the car is not cerifiable.We were upset because the very purpose of us making this trip was because #1 told us all the cars are certified and that the price is inclusive of CPO-ing.Slowly we realized the baiting-game #1 played on us.
We come back after the TD to be greeted by the original salesperson.He looked surprised when we told him what we found out about the certification.He made up some excuse and started with the negotiation process.Our initial offer was a little low, but hey, who doesnt like a good deal? He apparently was in ahurry or some, he just got up and left.It was so rude of him after making us unnecessarily wait.We were interested in another car and wanted to bump the offer, but his attitude was a complete turn-off for me and my wife.
#2 didnt even do anything to help.

I STRONGLY recommend not going to this dealership.Say "NO" to Markel BMW, OMAHA.

#7 ·
So, I take my car to Flow BMW (the one that's on Peters Creek Pkwy, in Winston-Salem) to have my tire looked at. Sitting in the lounge, reading my book. A pleasant looking fellow comes out.

I'm a little apprehensive but follow anyway. Racking my brain, trying to figure out what I did wrong. I don't have a chip in my car or anything, everything is stock... Walk into his office. Dimly lit, there's another dour-looking dude sitting in the corner. He's not smiling, kind of gives me a menacing stare.

- Have a seat.

Ookay then. I sit down.

I go, "HUH?"

- ARE YOU COONTIE?

I stammer, "Uh.. no." (OK, I wasn't gonna crack on the first question! Once the cattleprods were to come out, maybe then but surely not immediately. Plus, I think I'd be less flabbergasted if he had said, "We have a new M3 we don't need, it's your to keep.")

Then, he takes out a manila folder and (looking at it upside-down), it's full of my bimmerfest print-outs, certain passages highlighted. He takes a page out.

- It says here you once referred to buying a car at our dealership as "like being sodomized with a broomstick."

I squirm a little and go, "So, you have your own little Gestapo research unit, is that it?"

The sullen-looking dude in the corner (at this point they got the whole good cop/bad cop production thing going on here) says, "We don't like it when people maliciously slander our dealership."

I kinda stammer.. "Well, it wasn't slander, really, I just told people the truth. I didn't like being treated like an idiot by your saleswoman, it just wasn't a pleasant experience. Especially that when I offered $1k over ED invoice to your sales lady over there, she laughed in my face and said she's worked for 15 years and never did ED and no way would I get a 3yr lease for less than $700/month. I then went to Ricki in NY @ DiFeo and leased my car in 10 mins! For the price I wanted! AND! She didn't laugh in my face! So, how about that?!"

I go, "what?!"

He says (taking another post from the folder) - right here, you said, "There's a Dunkin Donuts across the street, you can wait there during service."

I'm like, "Ok. SO?" (trying to see if these two really, REALLY hate Dunkin Donuts for some reason. They didn't look like it though.)

(cue in the bad cop)

- Well, when you go buy a donut that costs $3.50, do you offer them three dollars?!

I go, "A car is not a donut, first of all. Second of all, if you're so concerned about good image, why not just offer people fair prices, instead of putting on a whole dog & pony show?"

He says, "Because buying a car is like buying a horse. People have been doing it for centuries. It's called, 'NEGOTIATION.'"

I'm like, "Well, why would you waste my time in the name of this 'negotiation' instead of just selling it for a fair price and be done with it?"

Anyway, this "Waiting for Godot"-like back & forth theater continues for a little bit. Then the bad cop says, "OK, if you hate us so much, you can't come here any longer" or some such thing. I took my book and left, basically.
___

Thinking about it for a bit, I'm sure they were gunning for me for a while. I'm stunned that a dealership would have this Stasi-like group of people, trying to flush out whoever's posting bad reviews about them.

WOW :wow: The BMW dealership Gestapo really does exist. :eeps:

#10 ·

- Have a seat.

Ookay then. I sit down.

I go, "HUH?"

- ARE YOU COONTIE?

I go, "what?!"

(cue in the bad cop)

___

AWESOME!!!:bow:

That is one of the coolest Bimmerfest stories ever. The GM actually asked you if you said, "- It says here you once referred to buying a car at our dealership as "like being sodomized with a broomstick."?

I wish I could have watched this in person.

#17 ·
+ 1

I may live in Germany now, but if I ever live in your neck of the woods, I will never buy a car from them.. and oh do I make plenty of dough that they'd just love to have. Eventually some of the more rude BMW dealers in the states are going to realize that they're just selling cars, nothing more. You're a CAR SALESMAN. Sell me a car and STFU. :mad:

#12 ·

- Have a seat.

Ookay then. I sit down.

I go, "HUH?"

- ARE YOU COONTIE?

I go, "what?!"

(cue in the bad cop)

___

I still say I would have told them to F-off. However, having thought for a moment, perhaps you should consider contacting BMWNA about this? I suspect they would strongly frown on dealers behaving like this........despite what you may have said on the internet using your 1st Amendment rights. :dunno:

#20 ·

some real a$$holes you have there. Good riddance...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

#23 ·
some real a$$holes you have there. Good riddance...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
In all honesty, it was the creepy dude in the shadowy corner that was kinda freaking me out. The General Manager seemed like a pretty nice fellow. He actually said he cares about his image, wants to improve it, they'd rather have local people buy local, etc.

But the other dude (the one playing the bad cop) was a whole 'nother story. He was the one talking about horses, houses and Dunkin Donuts.

#24 · (Edited)
I'd have a tough time not telling them to go f*#@ themselves. I read your post. Trust me I've said way worse about my local dealer but they took the high road with me and it worked. You catually complimented them about a bunch of things.

Now I trust my dealer and deal with them regularly. We have a very positive relationship and I recommend them to others because they went out of their way to find out why I was flaming them and they did their best to correct it. Thats a professional approach that BMW would endorse. I got the same crap from BMW about the dealers. So they don't have any control over their distribution nertwork? For a company so focused on brand image I find that hard to believe.

Part of being in retail is taking sh1t from customers, doesn't matter if they don't like it. Who exactly do they think they are? They should be asking you what they did wrong and how they can correct it. Maybe apoligize for coming off so arrogant and seeing it from your side.

Those d1cks shouldn't have a franchise.

What a bunch of a$$hats.

#25 ·
I'd have a tough time not telling them to go f*#@ themselves.

BMW Corporate should hear about this. Part of being in retail is taking sh1t from customers, doesn't matter if they don't like it.

I'm not sure BMW would be too happy with this kind of heavy handed treatment. Who exactly do they think they are? They should be asking you what they did wrong and how they can correct it.

I was having all kinds of issues with my local dealer, the approach they took was what are your concerns, how can we rectify them etc. Now I trust them and deal with them regularly. We have a very positive relationship now and I recommend them to others because they went out of their way to find out why I was flaming them and they did their best to correct it. Thats a professional approach that BMW would endorse.

Those d1cks shouldn't have a franchise.

What a bunch of a$$hats.
I couldn't agree more. I would have used more expletives in that room than they have ever heard in their life. That is no way to run a business. :asshole:

#27 ·
Call BMWNA immediately and ask to talk to a customer service manager. Not a regular telephone monkey, but the big cahuna - basically just ask to go up the payscale until you reach the top.

Then tell him/her about this experience, and how displeased you are, and how much you were shocked that a high end brand like BMW can use Hoffa-style tactics and hound and investigate their customers.

Tell them that in order to win a customer back, a business usually has to go an extra mile, not scare them into submission. That never works, as evidenced by your current telephone call.

He will probably try to wriggle from under the responsibility saying that they don't control the dealers, in which case you can tell them that the local paper might be more receptive to hearing this story.

Finally ask to take the customer satisfaction survey and give them all 1's.

Afterwards, open up a complaint with the BBB.
At the very least, also send a letter/email to Roundel - it will get published.

#30 · (Edited)
BOYCOTT!!! They need not push you around with scare tactics. If they wanted to rebuke they should go down the same avenue. Its called feedback, and some will be negative. Run your business right and most will be positive!
Its one thing to "negotiate" and another to make you feel like a moron for even suggesting it. A sales person has to be the bigger person because they are wearing the suit and tie to impress you (and gain YOUR business) while you wear the flip flops and feel comfortable. NOT the other way around.

Here is how it SHOULD have gone:
1. You give sales person an offer.
2. Sales person (whether agrees with offer personally or not) runs to manager and asks for approval.
3. Manager said no, but will offer you X.
4. I don't agree with X, but thank you for your business.

5. You walk away to other dealer to find better price, but sales person calls you back with final (or better offer).

THATS the way negotiation SHOULD be. Not this, "No way we would EVER offer you that price" and make you feel stupid. You are the reason they are even there. PERIOD.

God I'm PISSED!

#32 ·
This is absolutely amazing.

I'd have to practically go out of state if my local dealership disowned me like this, so I've always felt I'd have to think long & hard before I wrote something bad here. Luckily, they have been terrific to deal with in all respects. I mean, they are above & beyond fantastic. I honestly look forward to every visit, no matter how much it's gonna cost me. I'd give them a 6 if I could.

I don't mention it often enough, come to think of it. How lucky am I???

I think I'll call them up, right now, just to say hello!:thumbup:

#1,096 ·
I don't know about NC but I have bought 3 cars from out of state dealers in the past. You pay the sales tax at the time you get the license plate. Disclaimer: I recently bought a car from the local BMW dealer (so local dealer, you don't have to haul me in like Coontie):D

#36 · (Edited)
I guess they aren't going to get all 5's for this visit when you get the survey....

Can't wait for the "Do you have any other comments about your service visit" question.

#37 ·
It's kinda funny because it is simpley hard to believe that people would do this. in BMW dealership. in USA. WHAT THE FACK? No really who they think they are??? Honestly get on the phone to BMWNA and complain. That's what I would do. I mean it's one thing speaking up and following up on your rant, another is trying to intimidate you although by sound of it it didnt really work, more like surprised you that it's actually possible to do this.

Really, if you were mad about the previous thing, do something about this one now. At least call up and register your complaint. Who knows, may be you are like 101st person to do it and it will be last strike for these guys. What they did is just not on.

#38 ·
That's insane. Rather than saying "We understand you were unhappy with our sales process so we're going to go out of our way to overwhelm you with our service", they give you the Abu Ghraib treatment? Truly unbelievable, like you should be privileged to be intimidated by these morons.

Hey guys from Flow, you just lost more business than his post from however many months ago ever could have. Nicely done . . . :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

#44 ·
+1.

/caveat/ I do not know these guys and rely only on the information you provided /end of caveat/

This is really not a way to treat an unhappy customer. Even if your comments on their sales process were a little graphic (this is the internet), they were fact based and you did praise them on other aspects. Very unprofessional for them to get upset about it. On the contrary, they should go out of their way to figure out why you were unhappy and diagnose their operations.

You can learn a little from happy customers, but you rarely get an occasion to learn from unhappy customers (they just don't come back and you never know about the issue).

In addition, if you can flip someone active in a forum by going out of your way (which may be very small things for them), you can get great viral advocacy.

IMHO, their behavior (as you described it) is similar to that of my 4 year old son.
When I tell him that "no, I will not go out to buy you a professional fishing rod right now (at 8pm)". Just gets angry, shouts and goes to his room.

Good luck!

FM

#41 ·
Well, there's always two sides to a story, huh? Actually three if you believe the old adage of their's his side, our side, and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Here's Flow's side:

Its routine for companies to monitor internet message boards for content about themselves, In today's world, its a good business practice.

The funny thing about "Coontie's" post was that he has never been here and actually worked with a salesman or sales manager with regards to his car purchase, yet he can use broad brush generalizations about Flow's sales process being equal to something with a broomstick. (shrug)

"Coontie" has admitted to taking advantage of the Saturday free car wash, which is reserved for sales customers. He also likes the free coffee, it is pretty good. These items also cost money, which comes from the sales, service, and parts departments.

Today, he asks us to post date the RO on his tire so he can buy tire insurance (elsewhere) to cover a nail in his tire, so he can get it replaced for free. Huh?

Lets be serious here folks. We're very concerned about our reputation and we're going to look into these kinds of posts seriously. We're 7 time Center of Excellence award winners and we have a lot of happy customers and his statements about our sales process are not deserved.

A wise man once said to make your words soft and sweet in case one day you should have to eat them.

#45 ·
Lets be serious here folks. We're very concerned about our reputation and we're going to look into these kinds of posts seriously.
Isn't this what the survey and feedback process is for?

Searching online forums to get anonymous feedback is one thing. Trying to figure out the identities of specific individuals then confronting them is another entirely.

#55 · (Edited)
Well, there's always two sides to a story, huh? Actually three if you believe the old adage of their's his side, our side, and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Here's Flow's side:

Its routine for companies to monitor internet message boards for content about themselves, In today's world, its a good business practice.

The funny thing about "Coontie's" post was that he has never been here and actually worked with a salesman or sales manager with regards to his car purchase, yet he can use broad brush generalizations about Flow's sales process being equal to something with a broomstick. (shrug)

"Coontie" has admitted to taking advantage of the Saturday free car wash, which is reserved for sales customers. He also likes the free coffee, it is pretty good. These items also cost money, which comes from the sales, service, and parts departments.

Today, he asks us to post date the RO on his tire so he can buy tire insurance (elsewhere) to cover a nail in his tire, so he can get it replaced for free. Huh?

Lets be serious here folks. We're very concerned about our reputation and we're going to look into these kinds of posts seriously. We're 7 time Center of Excellence award winners and we have a lot of happy customers and his statements about our sales process are not deserved.

A wise man once said to make your words soft and sweet in case one day you should have to eat them.
Glad to hear the other side. Thanks for posting.

However, why not take the high road? If this is the case, just tell him graciously that you will not be dishonest and postdate a document. You would be happy to have him as a customer for regular service. End of story.
(Who cares how much a carwash and coffee cost? irrelevant IMHO)

His story may or may not be accurate. He may even have offended you. But at a first glance, your post seems to confirm your state of mind described in the original story. You guys seem angry with him. (I may be wrong but it really appears this way to a 3rd party).
No matter what, you cannot be angry at a customer or prospect. You have to stay professionnal. As a retail client, he does not have to. This is life in consumer sales and service. Perhaps try to buy a punching ball. ;)

Suggestion: whether you are right or wrong, do the right sales and marketing thing. Make peace before it gets out of control on the forums.

FM

#219 ·
LMAO! Indeed.

This is THE BEST thread I have EVER read on Bimmerfest. I am totally subscribed.

#43 ·
WOW. And I thought it was bad my (ex) CA said something rude about me that wound up on this site!
I'm moving down there, and will now drive even farther to avoid sh*tty service.
I would have been on the phone with BMW of North America. Preferably over bluetooth, turned all the way up, in one of their demo vehicles in the showroom.
WTF.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.