BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Vacation: What to do with X3

Tags
battery bmw x3
3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  UncleJ 
#1 ·
i'm going on a vacation for a few weeks and am wondering what should i do to keep the x3 in tip top condition when i come back. i know that there's something to be done with the battery - can this be done by ourselves or would we have to have the beemer people do it?

i hear it's a matter of hooking up the battery to a power outlet. will the hood be open all the time? or will it be discreet.

any help on this, i appreciate, thanks!

#3 ·
+1 -- of course "a few weeks" is a bit unclear. If you mean no longer than three weeks then you should be good to go -- as long as you don't have other problems with battery drain. If it were me I might invest in one of those $30 portable start packs, charge it up and leave it in the car just in case. I would also familiarize myself with the jump start terminals under the hood -- not a bad thing to know anyway. Then I would forget about it and enjoy my vacation, come back, jump in the car and drive off with a smile and a lightened wallet.

#7 ·
it should be about four weeks to maybe two months depending on the situation. your recommendation sounds good - i can't leave the keys to a neighbour either so the battery pack sounds good. do i need to prop the hood up? worried about theft and all if the hood happens to be open.

#5 ·
Interestingly, I put a lithium-ion battery for my motorcycle which is amazing. I disconnected the battery terminal last fall. I didn't charge the battery all winter and it was left outside. Yesterday I hooked up the terminal and it started the bike after almost 5 months untended and in sub zero temps. Maybe BMW needs to replace it's AGM batteries with light weight lithium-ion.

Here is a video I made of the first start... temps were -5c the night before. The old bike is somewhat temperamental being air cooled and carbureted.

#8 · (Edited)
No, just get the pack (they are self contained) be sure its fully charged then put it in the back storage area until you need it. It basically is a small battery, some even have a air pump built in, that is useful for emergency power to start the car or fill up a flat or anything inflatable. Car is fully locked, hood down. You only hook up the pack when you need it to start the car. Perfect for those long trips in winter for peace of mind.:angel:To get an idea of what one looks like, go to www.sportsmansguide.com and look under item C3X2-285097.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.