BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Is my 650 possessed? Started on its own.

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  petriej 
#1 ·
Very strange thing happened this morning. I went to make a deposit at my bank, did everything as usual, but when I came out, my 650i had lights on and was running. How could this even happen when the bank entrance is quite far from where I parked and the key was always with me? I am 101% sure I turned the car off (I'm not an idiot lol), but even if it was left on, wouldn't it turn off if I walked away with the key? Thankfully at least the doors locked. I like everything about the car, but the keyless go thing is horrible. I don't see how it makes things any easier and now this glitch happened. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

#2 ·
I don't have any experience with BMW, but if you left the car on, the car probably wouldn't turn off on it's own even if you have the key with you.

I accidently left keys in my pocket when giving cars to valets, they were able to park it with no problem even though they didn't have a key.

#3 ·
You didn't turn the car off when you got out.....you probably just locked it. It will continue running even if the key is gone and in your pocket. However, without the key it will not restart.

Don't feel bad - I've done this twice. The last time a coworker came into my office to ask why my engine was still running.

#4 ·
This would be very difficult to do if you had a real transmission!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.