BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Coding Internet over Bluetooth and not over BMW

306K views 607 replies 99 participants last post by  vukasito 
#1 ·
Dear friends,
the car I m coding right now has more or less all options but there is one problem I would like to address (allmost all others are solved trough reading here):
As it is a Germany delivered car the Internet surfing option is only available trough a BMW contract (150 € per year) besides the BMW Assist/ConnectedDrive. I know that for some markets where the Internet option is not available there is the possibility to use the internet through bluetooth connection via smartphone. How and where do I code this? Some in the net were already successful but are not sharing the route how to do it. Of course I dont want to affect BMW Assist/Connected Drive. I would only like to change the Internet option to tethering over Bluetooth.....

Thanks a lot
clem86

#2 · (Edited)
Dear friends,
the car I m coding right now has more or less all options but there is one problem I would like to address (allmost all others are solved trough reading here):
As it is a Germany delivered car the Internet surfing option is only available trough a BMW contract (150 ***8364; per year) besides the BMW Assist/ConnectedDrive. I know that for some markets where the Internet option is not available there is the possibility to use the internet through bluetooth connection via smartphone. How and where do I code this? Some in the net were already successful but are not sharing the route how to do it. Of course I dont want to affect BMW Assist/Connected Drive. I would only like to change the Internet option to tethering over Bluetooth.....

Thanks a lot
clem86
I have read extensively on this, and I have tried getting BMW Live working on my F10 with no success. I know it is possible though, as the Professional Retrofitters offer it. In any event, my understanding is that the two, BMW Assist and BMW Live (Internet), can not coexist. It's one or the other. The BMW Live (Internet) is better in that you get Google Street View, Google Panoramio, and the Web Browser; however, since Google Send-To is part of BMW Assist, if you replace BMW Assist with BMW Live you, you loose that functionality. Other than that, I don't see any downside, and the upside, besides the advanced functionality, is you can save 150 ***8364; per year.

You can start by coding the following and see what you get:

HU_CIC, 3003 TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE:

ONLINE_SERVICES = aktiv / Werte=01
ONLINE_BROWSER = beide_aktiv / Werte=03 - Adds "BMW Online" and "Internet" under ConnectedDrive=>BMW Assist
ONLINE_BROWSER_LIVE = aktiv / Werte=01 - Replaces "BMW Online" with "BMW Live" under ConnectedDrive=>BMW Assist.

This is for an F10, so other chassis coding may differ slightly.

If that does not work, I believe you will have to remove BMW Assist related services (presumably S639A) from the VO, and recode the CIC based on the modified VO.

If it seems to be working, but the Internet screen says it is not available in your country, I believe you will need to code the VIN of an "allowed" country into Combox, and in the Combox set TELEMATIK_VIN=coding_vin, which tells the Combox which VIN number to use, either the one coded or the one found on the MOST BUS (i.e. the car's).

In summary, BMW Live can be enabled, but BMW Assist needs to be removed, but without removing Bluetooth, and the Combox VIN needs to be from a country authorized to utilize the BMW Live Servers / Portal.

The problem for U.S. cars, we don't have SA612 for Assist, rather we have SA639 (BMW Assist with Bluetooth), and if you remove SA639, you also loose Bluetooth. I am not sure how to remove Assist, and add just Bluetooth. I will play around with it some more though and see if I can figure it out. Let me know if you are able to get yours working, and if so, how.

#7 ·
I already have the BMW Online enabled but do not have Internet. Using the parameters below for Online Browser, I now get the additional option 'Internet' in Connected Drive. I only needed to change the Online_Browser to 03 for this to take effect (nothing else).
BMW online still works fine, no issues there.
Trying out Internet gives the error 'Not available for your country'

Can you guide which exact settings I need to change to get this to work? where do I code the telematik_vin and to what value?

I don't think I need to modify the VO, but please advise.

I was browsing through the parameters and there are many settings for Data Networking and Bluetooth networking, DUN and PAN profiles. Would I need to modify these as well?

Any help would be much appreciated.

My car is UK 2012 June F10 with Professional SatNav. I have the BMW Assist pack but not Internet.

I have read extensively on this, and I have tried getting BMW Live working on my F10 with no success. I know it is possible though, as the Professional Retrofitters offer it. In any event, my understanding is that the two, BMW Assist and BMW Live (Internet), can not coexist. It's one or the other. The BMW Live (Internet) is better in that you get Google Street View, Google Panoramio, and the Web Browser; however, since Google Send-To is part of BMW Assist, if you replace BMW Assist with BMW Live you, you loose that functionality. Other than that, I don't see any downside, and the upside, besides the advanced functionality, is you can save 150 € per year.

You can start by coding the following and see what you get:

HU_CIC, 3003 TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE:

ONLINE_SERVICES = aktiv / Werte=01
ONLINE_BROWSER = beide_aktiv / Werte=03 - Adds "BMW Online" and "Internet" under ConnectedDrive=>BMW Assist
ONLINE_BROWSER_LIVE = aktiv / Werte=01 - Replaces "BMW Online" with "BMW Live" under ConnectedDrive=>BMW Assist.

This is for an F10, so other chassis coding may differ slightly.

If that does not work, I believe you will have to remove BMW Assist related services (presumably SA612) from the VO, and recode the CIC based on the modified VO.

If it seems to be working, but the Internet screen says it is not available in your country, I believe you will need to code the VIN of an "allowed" country into Combox, and in the Combox set TELEMATIK_VIN=coding_vin, which tells the Combox which VIN number to use, either the one coded or the one found on the MOST BUS (i.e. the car's).

In summary, BMW Live can be enabled, but BMW Assist needs to be removed, but without removing Bluetooth, and the Combox VIN needs to be from a country authorized to utilize the BMW Live Servers / Portal.

The problem for U.S. cars, we don't have SA612 for Assist, rather we have SA639 (BMW Assist with Bluetooth), and if you remove SA639, you also loose Bluetooth. I am not sure how to remove Assist, and add just Bluetooth. I will play around with it some more though and see if I can figure it out. Let me know if you are able to get yours working, and if so, how.

#3 ·
Thanks for your response. I've already tried before what you suggested to code in this module: HU_CIC, 3003 TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE. Unfortunately I had no success neither Internet was working nor Assist any more. Every combination other than the original resulted in some trouble so for now I stopped my trials and asked here. I've read some time ago that it is possible to code also with the Assist active that Internet works over the smartphone.... hopefully you or someone else will come up with some solution :)

greets
clem86

#4 ·
Oh well. I may just end up paying to have it done. I think it was only $250 if I remember right.

#6 ·
$250 to have BMW Live Coded by one of the professional retrofitters.

#8 ·
I already have the BMW Online enabled but do not have Internet. Using the parameters below for Online Browser, I now get the additional option 'Internet' in Connected Drive. I only needed to change the Online_Browser to 03 for this to take effect (nothing else).
BMW online still works fine, no issues there.
Trying out Internet gives the error 'Not available for your country'

Can you guide which exact settings I need to change to get this to work? where do I code the telematik_vin and to what value?

I don't think I need to modify the VO, but please advise.

I was browsing through the parameters and there are many settings for Data Networking and Bluetooth networking, DUN and PAN profiles. Would I need to modify these as well?

Any help would be much appreciated.

My car is UK 2012 June F10 with Professional SatNav. I have the BMW Assist pack but not Internet.
Well I was playing around with a lot of parameters but the result was that Assist stopped working and Internet was not available. Also playing around with DUN and PAN did not give me the desired result. So far there is no solution from my point of view.

greets
clem

#11 ·
I'm not sure if you got anywhere further with this, but here is what I have been able to figure out:

Code CMB_MEDIA / 3006 TELEMATIK / TELEMATIK_VIN = Coding_VIN /Werte=01

Since NCS Expert won't work on Fxx Chassis, to Code a "working" VIN # in the Combox, use EDIABAS Toolset 32, which is installed as part of E-Sys, and do the following:

- Launch tool32.exe (C:\EDIABAS\Bin\TOOL32.EXE)
- Hit F3 or Go to File, Load SGBD Group File
- Select CMEDIAR.prg (Combox ECU) located in C:\EDIABAS\Ecu\cmediar.prg
- Scroll down to C_FG_SCHREIBEN Job
- In argument put new VIN + 1 digit (use any digit you want for the extra checksum digit and no spaces)
- Press the 1*> button (Start Job Once Only) on toolbar at top
- Result should show Okay.

I think the key for U.S. cars to get rid of BMW Assist, is we need to remove option S639A - PREPARATION F MOBILE PHONE CPL. USA/CDN (BMW Assist) and replace it with option S644A - PREPARATION F MOBILE PHONE W BLUETOOTH and then code KOMBI, CIC and CAS.

I may give this a shot next weekend.

#15 ·
@shawnsheridan : Thank you for your response and help much appreciated

--------------------------------------------------------
I'll try & explain my situation a bit more clearly.

I have a UK model F10 with following features:

BMW Navigation Media Professional Plus : Package Option ZGP
This includes (as factory fitted for UK)
  • BMW Navigation Professional: Option 609
  • Head Up Display: Option 610
  • BMW Assist: Option 612
  • BMW Assist Online Option: 616
  • Voice Control: Option 620
  • Bluetooth Prep phone + telematics: Option 633
The Internet Option in UK is sold under Option 614 (called Internet). I do not have this option.

This means (I think!) that my VIN should be able to receive BMW Live (or Internet Option 614) along with BMW Assist as both features are available in UK.
I chose not to have the Internet as my build option - but I have confirmed that one can choose BMW Assist, BMW Assist Online and Internet - all options together in UK. (Option 609 + 612 + 616 and 614)

I currently see the option BMW Online in my Connected Drive menu.
I then do the following: HU_CIC, 3003 TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE: ONLINE_BROWSER = beide_aktiv / Werte=03
Now I see an additional option Internet in my Connected Drive menu.

When I select the Internet option, I get the error 'Not available for your country' but the BMW Online option & other Assist Options work fine.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Queries:
1. Would I still need a separate VIN and do I now need to code the VIN or can I leave it to its default value of MOST_VIN / Werte=00

2. Anything else you suggest to try and make this work?

3. Do I need to add Option 614 (Internet) to my VO. I have not done VO before and am a bit nervous. How would I go about doing this bit (if absolutely required)?

Thanks...

#16 · (Edited)
I think you are confusing two different things:

S614A Internet - Internet straight from BMW using the car's telematics and data plan.
S6ALA BMW Live - BMW Online with Internet using your cell phone's Bluetooth and your cell carrier's data plan.

The subject of this thread is Bluetooth Internet, i.e. 6AL BMW Live.

Since I do not know if BMW Live (not Internet) is available in the UK, I don't know if you need go though the process of assigning a different VIN# to your Combox.

As for altering your VO, no, it's never necessary so long as you know every required FDL Code in every affected module in order to support what you are trying to do. Coding based on the VO though greatly simplifies things as you can code an entire module at once without individually FDL coding every needed parameter.

#25 ·
@gspannu; Can you run C_FG_LESSEN with No Arguments and see if it returns the current Combox Vin Number? Assuming it does, then run C_FG_SCHREIBEN again, but this time with the same VIN Number returned by C_FG_LESSEN job, and with the extra checksum digit, and see if that works? I am trying to determine if the CMEDIAR.prg is working with Fxx Chassis. If it is, then I would try other VIN Numbers and see of one sticks.

#26 ·
I am about to go to my car (in next 15 minutes) to try what you have recommend in the previous post…

Can you please provide a little more detail on how to do C_FG_LESSEN?

Apologies, I have not used EDIABAS in anger (but happy to learn & play); so a little guidance from you would be appreciated.

#27 ·
It's the same as the C_FG_SCHREIBEN Job, just select the C_FG_LESSEN job instead. So:

- Launch tool32.exe (C:\EDIABAS\Bin\TOOL32.EXE)
- Hit F3 or Go to File, Load SGBD Group File
- Select CMEDIAR.prg (Combox ECU) located in C:\EDIABAS\Ecu\cmediar.prg
- Scroll down to C_FG_LESSEN Job
- Press the 1*> button (Start Job Once Only) on toolbar at top
- Result should show Okay. SHould return current Combox VIN #.

#41 ·
Really important:

i made some mistakes while i was trying to code a different vin to my car (via e-sys vo coding). now i always have an error something like "airbags doesnt work (rückhaltesystem fahrer, beifahrer, fond)". and also "pedestrian warning doesnt work". really bad :(
does anyone know wich sgbd file for edibas toolset32 i can use to delete the error memory?
i used the posted cmedia.prg, but this does only delete and read errors from cmedia...

i would appreciate your help :)

#43 ·
I would first try and reset CMB_MEDIA and any other ECU's involved by VO Coding them.

After that, use Tool32, F01.prg.

Job FS_LESEN_FUNKTIONAL will read fault codes, and job FS_LOESCHEN_FUNKTIONAL will delete them, so long as the actual fault condition on the ECU is first removed, which is why I would VO Code them first.

Attachments

#42 ·
Guys, got it - finally!
It was in module "ACSM3" (Zentrales Airbagauslösegerät). I cleared the error memory and everything seems to be fine again. I used the attached file (extracted from vmware image) - rename to prg and enjoy!

Attachments

#45 · (Edited)
For writing a VIN to the Combox in E-Sys, I figured that out, and it is very simple: :D

So simple in fact, that I am mad I spent so much damn time in Tool32, CMEDIA.prg and E-Sys trying to figure it out. :mad:

First you must code CMB_MEDIA / TELEMATIK_VIN = Coding VIN using your real FA VIN. Then, open your FA up in the FA-Editor, change the VIN, Caluclate FP just to make sure there are no problems with it, and then save the FA with a new name, i.e. FA_VIN_FAKE. Lastly, go to the coding module, and under Vehicle Order load your new FA_VIN_FAKE, activate FA, and then FDL code CMB_MEDIA. Lastly, read CMB_MEDIA coding data, and verify the new VIN in brackets. In the attached picture, you can see my Combox and Head Unit are showing two different VIN's.

Afterwards, either shut down E-Sys, or load your original FA back and activate it before coding anything else. DO NOT code anything else with this FA, and DO NOT write this FA to the car.

For Internet and BMW Live to work, you need a VIN with factory options 614 and 615.

Attachments

#46 ·
DO NOT code anything else with this FA, and DO NOT write this FA to the car.
Thats exactly why i got a hell of errors showing up. Just tried to code the different VIN in every module... my heart was bleeding as my car didnt start anymore :eek:
but now everything seems good again ;)

thanks shawn!
i used "fs_lesen" and if there was anything, i used "fs_löschen" in every single file. later on i found the f01.prg :D thanks!!

i will try to code the vin to cmbmedia this time... do i have to remove the Salapa-Element for BMW Assist (S612A)?

#47 ·
if i try to code cmb_media -> 3006 TELEMATIK -> TELEMATIK_VIN to "CODING_VIN". The attached value switches to "01". At which point do i set the "CODING_VIN"?

or do i just set it to "CODING_VIN" and then do VO-Coding cmb_media with fake-VIN? :) Thanks man!

#51 · (Edited)
Damn! It is really working - great!!!!!
Thank you so much shawn! This is awesome!!

The next step is to go back step by step to find out, how to get VI+ / RTTI working with customer sim ;)

shawn, you seem to be very good with this stuff... do you have any idea how to update the "kombi" module to get the ability to set "hud_entertainment" for radio stations and callers name in head-up display? :p

Attachments

#52 · (Edited)
Damn! It is really working - great!!!!!
Thank you so much shawn! This is awesome!!

The next step is to go back step by step to find out, how to get VI+ / RTTI working with customer sim ;)

shawn, you seem to be very good with this stuff... do you have any idea how to update the "kombi" module to get the ability to set "hud_entertainment" for radio stations and callers name in head-up display? :p
You were VO Coding CMB_MEDIA with new VIN instead of FDL Coding it weren't you?

Glad it is working now though. :thumbup:

It's your turn now. Find the code to enable Internet in Motion as VIM doesn't work. :bawling:

Oh, and the code so it defaults to the Large text. :D

Short of taking the car into the dealer, you have to flash your Kombi Firmware with 47.x. It can be done in E-Sys, but it is not well understood nor documented. The only one I know that has successfully done it is mjgood. He flashed his CIC and CMB_MEDIA in order to get 6NR Apps. I would contact him. If you do attempt the E-Sys flash, please document it precisely, with detailed steps so we can get a DIY up for everyone.

#58 ·
Do you have Option 6VC Combox? If you do, TELEMATIK_VIN will be in the CMB_MEDIA ECU.

#59 ·
Hmm, no, I think I haven't.
I have:
S612A BMW ASSIST BMW Assist
S614A INTERNET
S615A ERWEITERTE BMW ONLINE INFORMATION
S616A BMW ONLINE
S620A VOICE INPUT SYSTEM
S633A PREP.MOB. PH. BUSINESS BLUET.INTERF
S6AAA BMW TELESERVICES BMW
S6ABA CONTROL TELESERVICES
...and "Internet not available in your country"

#60 · (Edited)
What country are you in?

What is the build date of your 528i?

I don't understand. You have factory 614 or you added that to your VO? Becasue if that is factory, you should not be getting "Internet not available in your country".

Also, if you want Internet, 612 BMW Assist needs to be removed and replaced with 644. I'm not sure about 616 though. I don't have 616 in my VO, just 614 and 615. You may also want to add 6AL for BMW Live.

#63 · (Edited)
Ok. I see. Factory 614 is actually Internet via BMW Assist using the car's GSM Module and SIM Card. It is also used though for coding Internet over Bluetooth using the Cell Phone SIM Card and Data Connection. Have you tried asking BMW Assist to activate Internet on your car, which is how your 614 is supposed to work?

I think Combox, at least in the U.S. did not appear until 09/10 builds, so your 03/10 build is probably missing it. Do you instead of Combox show TCU and or MULF modules in E-Sys?

Can you post a picture of all the ECU's showing in your SVT in E-Sys?

#65 ·
Yes, I have BMW Live & Internet working over Bluetooth in my U.S. F10. But it is hardly worth the effort I put into it if you ask me. :thumbdwn:

Attachments

#70 · (Edited)
Can someone make a tutorial, how to enable internet over bluetooth to work in bmw f10 ?
I have Bmw f10 2012 with:
S612A BMW ASSIST
S614A Internet preparation
S616A BMW ONLINE
S6AAA BMW TELESERVICES
S6VCA COMBOX

Thanks.
Change your VO as follows:

- 612 (or 633 or 639 if present)
+ 644
+ 614 (Required but already present)
+ 615
+ 6AL
+ 6AB

VO CODE HU_CIC
VO CODE CMB_MEDIA

FDL CODE CMB_MEDIA:
- TELEMATIK_VIN = Coding_VIN

FDL CODE CMB_MEDIA:
Use modified VO with VIN that has factory options 614 and 615 as explained in my earlier Post # 45:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7062125&postcount=45

*** Use only to FDL Code CMB_MEDIA; DO NOT write this FA to the Car

1) Enable Data Transfer Option Under Phone
2) Enable Bluetooth Data Tethering on Phone
3) Under Connected drive; Update services (should show BMW Live and Internet services)
4) Go to BMW Live and Internet and make sure it it working

After it is working:
Use original VO with car VIN:
FDL CODE CMB_MEDIA:
- TELEMATIK_VIN = MOST_VIN

Read CMB_MEDIA and verify Short VIN in brackets [xxxxxxx] is car VIN.

DO NOT update services again or you will loose BMW Live and Internet.

*** If you do not return the Combox VIN to car VIN, you will encounter problems with future dealer programming, as the Combox will not be recognized, and programming will hault.

#77 ·
Hello again Shawn

Please, could you give me more information about this:

VO CODE HU_CIC
VO CODE CMB_MEDIA

and also about this:

It assumes you know how to FDL Code, Modify your VO and VO Code.

I think i´m able to modify the VO (i have the pdf tutorial) but i´m not sure about FDL Code and VO code.

Also i have full working E-sys but i don´t know where i must to insert the pin 2960 for the first time.

Regards

#78 ·
The E-Sys - Getting Started Coding.pdf explains FDL Coding:

https://www.rapidshare.com/files/706976177/E-Sys - Getting Started Coding.pdf

Basically, you Read your FA (which is your VO), Activate FA, Read your VCM, Select and Read an ECU's CAFD, Right-Click on the CAFD and select "Edit FDL", change the Coding Data, and select "Code FDL"

This allows you to change individual parameters within an ECU.

The first time you invoke the FDL Editor (e.g. selecting "Edit FDL" or manually launching the FDL Editor), you will be prompted to enter your EST Token PIN.

VO Coding is the same, except instead of selecting an ECU's CAFD, Right-Click on the ECU itself (NOT the underlying CAFD in the Subfolder) and select "CODE".

This will code the entire ECU to a default condition based on the FA you have activated (primarily using the Production date and Option Codes), which may be the FA from the car that you Read, or it may be a modified version thereof that you have created, as will be the case here.

https://www.rapidshare.com/files/3226673332/E-Sys - How to change FA in F-series car.pdf

#82 ·
Hello Shawn,

I can retrofit the LDW whithout problems, take a look
Car Speedometer Vehicle Personal luxury car Gauge

I did via vo coding, and when finish enabled the option of always on because I don't have the button on my dashboard.

B
But i can't enable Internet, maybe for my vin number.

This is the previous state:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Luxury vehicle

And after all the process Internet continue telling that is not available for my country, because the combox continues trying to access trough internal modem instead my iPhone.

Could you give further information about the change of vin number step by Step please. I'm afraid

Regards

#83 ·
Hello Shawn,

I can retrofit the LDW whithout problems, take a look
View attachment 346342
View attachment 346343
I did via vo coding, and when finish enabled the option of always on because I don't have the button on my dashboard.

B
But i can't enable Internet, maybe for my vin number.

This is the previous state:
View attachment 346344

And after all the process Internet continue telling that is not available for my country, because the combox continues trying to access trough internal modem instead my iPhone.

Could you give further information about the change of vin number step by Step please. I'm afraid

Regards
What are the last 7 of the VIN you attempted to use?

#87 · (Edited)
Please Shawn i need your help.

I follow rigorously your steps but I have a big problem, take a look:

View attachment 346430

View attachment 346431

View attachment 346432

Is like the unit losses its address and now I can do anything.

How can I solve it?

It's like it doesn't has CAFD line...

Thanks in advance for the help
Right-Click on CMB_MEDIA, select "New", and then navigate to your CAF Folder and select the corresponding .ncd file for CMB Media and insert it. Then select the added CAFD and Code FDL. The .ncd file name should be similar to CAFD_000005B6_004_002_110.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.