BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

My Christmas present 2013 x3 28i already in for service

13K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  bayernm3 
#1 ·
Was in that happy zen place I go to when driving my new BMW when a loud noise began shortly after ignition. The noise persisted after turning the x3 off. The noise continued to persist whether the car was on (and got louder) or turned off. It seems to be generated from the right side of the engine and is audible both within and outside the car. Sounds a bit like the whine of a small airplane.

Was planning on taking the vehicle back to the dealer, Open Road BMW in Morristown, NJ, this week anyway for new plates, but frankly, was unprepared for such a short honeymoon before problems began. Anyone know what this issue may be attributed to? 135 total miles. :cry:

#2 ·
Was in that happy zen place I go to when driving my new BMW when a loud noise began shortly after ignition. The noise persisted after turning the x3 off. The noise continued to persist whether the car was on (and got louder) or turned off. It seems to be generated from the right side of the engine and is audible both within and outside the car. Sounds a bit like the whine of a small airplane.

Was planning on taking the vehicle back to the dealer, Open Road BMW in Morristown, NJ, this week anyway for new plates, but frankly, was unprepared for such a short honeymoon before problems began. Anyone know what this issue may be attributed to? 135 total miles. :cry:
Sorry to hear about that. At least it doesn't sound too serious,...but nevertheless disappointing, I'm sure. Let us know what they find.

#4 ·
Good luck with the issue.

Please post pics when you have an opportunity.

#5 ·
Problem Solved?

I received a call from my Service manager today. They believe that the problem stems from a faulty computer part that supports the windshield wipers. Still something of an exploratory expedition, the Service Manager said, "we think we're in the right area." Not terribly reassuring.

The theory is that there is a computer that controls the rear window wiper and it wouldn't turn off. In addition to the noise, the display showed that the windshield wiper fluid was low when in fact it wasn't and so these two issues are related. They are getting the part shipped to them and they'll have my x3 until Monday.

Colors: Vermillion Red and Sand Beige Leather, Fineline wave wood trim. Y Spoke wheels. Nice! Convenience, Cold Weather Pkge I & II, Premium Pkge and Rear View Camera. And I really like that they used dark carpet in the cargo area. Smart!

#9 ·
I received a call from my Service manager today. They believe that the problem stems from a faulty computer part that supports the windshield wipers. Still something of an exploratory expedition, the Service Manager said, "we think we're in the right area." Not terribly reassuring.

The theory is that there is a computer that controls the rear window wiper and it wouldn't turn off. In addition to the noise, the display showed that the windshield wiper fluid was low when in fact it wasn't and so these two issues are related. They are getting the part shipped to them and they'll have my x3 until Monday.

Colors: Vermillion Red and Sand Beige Leather, Fineline wave wood trim. Y Spoke wheels. Nice! Convenience, Cold Weather Pkge I & II, Premium Pkge and Rear View Camera. And I really like that they used dark carpet in the cargo area. Smart!
Nice color combination! Bought my X3 there too.

#8 ·
Very glad to hear that. I just started using them. My neighbor likes Motown BMW too!

3 Series may be my next car. Happy with reliability of all your bimmers?

#7 ·
Same car, Same Problem

Do not despair! I picked up my 2013 X3 28i last week. The car was born on 12/6/12. Perfect drive to dinner, approximately 130 miles from dealer and on the way back to NYC. Stopped for dinner and then while backing out of the parking spot I noticed a heavy stream of washer fluid pumping onto the rear window. Next I heard a high pitched whine coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment directly in front of the glove box. I couldn't stop as I was now on the approach to the G.W.B in N.J.
Upon arriving home I added a gallon of windshield washer fluid (was getting the low fluid message). The fluid pumped out almost immediately and the whine subsided after the car "went to sleep." The dealer replaced the washer pump and control module...got the car back yesterday. All is great! 3 cheers for our BMW dealer. Kudos to BMW as well. I drove home in yesterday's blizzard....the car was perfect.

#10 ·
Do not despair! I picked up my 2013 X3 28i last week. The car was born on 12/6/12. Perfect drive to dinner, approximately 130 miles from dealer and on the way back to NYC. Stopped for dinner and then while backing out of the parking spot I noticed a heavy stream of washer fluid pumping onto the rear window. Next I heard a high pitched whine coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment directly in front of the glove box. I couldn't stop as I was now on the approach to the G.W.B in N.J.
Upon arriving home I added a gallon of windshield washer fluid (was getting the low fluid message). The fluid pumped out almost immediately and the whine subsided after the car "went to sleep." The dealer replaced the washer pump and control module...got the car back yesterday. All is great! 3 cheers for our BMW dealer. Kudos to BMW as well. I drove home in yesterday's blizzard....the car was perfect.
"Kudos to BMW as well.": for what, an early failure? :cry:I wanted a more versatile vehicle cargo area, since my current ride ('09 MB C300 4Matic) does not have the fold-down rear seat option. However, this car has been totally trouble free for nearly 3 years. I hope my X3 is at least as reliable as other BMW's I've owned in the past.

#11 ·
Thanks guys for all the feedback. The best advice I ever received about shopping for a new car was to choose the dealer where you had the best service experience. And I'm glad that when an issue comes up, Morristown is where I bring my car. The guys in the service department really do dig these cars - and I could see the obvious concern on the Manager's face when I rolled in with the noise coming off my engine. So, there is passion there and that's a good thing. It'll get fixed. In the meantime, I'm squeezing my family into a 1 series loaner. Holy cow! That car moves! I hit 100 getting around some trucks today without any resistance, and in almost no time. Having said that, we're looking forward to the elbow room we'll have in the x3.

#14 ·
We had the same problem

My wife's new X3 also succumbed to the whining rear wiper/washer! The car was built during the second week of December. Our dealer old us the parts would take 2 weeks to be shipped from Germany (frustrating given that the car was built in S.C.). We were offered a loaner, but my wife preferred to drive her car. This is our 6th BMW, but I must admit that having a mechanical defect with a brand new car (but a model that has been in production for a while), is making me think about purchasing a 7th (I have been planning on replacing my '08 3 series 'vert when the new model comes out).

#15 · (Edited)
"X3 2013 Dream": Was it repaired? Did they use same parts as "FHX3"?

Mine started manufacturing before Dec shutdown with projected finish 10-Jan. I wonder if I'll be one of the unlucky, or if BMW even knows they might have a quality issue.

#18 ·
In anticipation of a possible problem with my new X3 (to arrive in the near future from the factory) I asked my service manager. He said BMW is aware and it is the JBE (Junction Box Electronics, I believe). I also guess it's no small job to replace.

#19 ·
It might be good to know if there is a specific fuse that can be pulled as a workaround (e.g. to stop the flow if reservoir was not emptied yet and, more importantly, to stop the pump from running continuously until the vehicle could be taken to the dealer for service). Maybe someone knows...

#21 ·
Experienced junction box/rear washer fluid pump failure on my brand new X3 that I took delivery on just before Christmas. Failed at 920 miles. Brought it to the BMW center and was told required parts on back order with no projected delivery date. They removed a fuse to stop loud whining sound and prevent the pump from completely burning out (I sure the load isn't too heathy for the battery either as the pump continues to run after shutting off the vehicle). Problem is removing that fuse also prevents the front windshield wash function and the ability to lock the car, making the driving the vehicle possible but not practical or safe especially in winter driving conditions where the front windshield needs frequent cleaning. I was totally disappointed with the response from customer service when I called BMW North America. Certainly well below what I would have expected with the brand image of BMW and what I assumed was a world class customer service company. All I was looking for was assurance that I would be provided transportation alternatives while my brand new vehicle was waiting indefinitely for replacement parts for a manufacturing defect (whether design or more likely a parts supply problem). Fortunately the center where I bought my vehicle (by the way, different and distant from my local BMW service center) gets the concept of true customer service and is taking care. Based on what I can see, the defect appears to me to be systemic and not isolated incidents. For the record this is my fifth BMW vehicle.

#22 · (Edited)
When at the dealer picking up a few accessories, I spoke to the service manager (after he told me there were "JBE" problems causing this) and he also told me they have seen a few already. I don't know if they will increase stock on the part in anticipation of more people coming in with this problem but I hope so. I asked about pulling a fuse to stop the pump and he told me: a) they would prefer that customers don't pull fuses (and now I can see why based on lack of other functions "VT driver" mentioned, not to mention someone screwing up that seemingly-simple task, and b) the pump will shut off after the car goes to sleep (~20 min after ignition switched off). He also said they have enjoyed quite good reliability until this issue cropped up. We'll see.

#23 ·
Still waiting for replacement parts from BMW (Germany) - closing in on 1 month now. Also looks like other JBE-related problems may be cropping up - car has started spontaneously dialing when my wife turns on seat heater or changes tracks on a CD (and she is not accidently hitting telephone buttons :))

#24 ·
Let's hope it's all due to the same faulty part!:yikes:

#25 ·
+1 add my friend to this list washers going nuts.... doorlocks locking and unlocking and lights flashing on and off, x3 was only a week or 2 old... took a week to fix.. gonna pick it up today hopefully fixed for good. Make sure your washer motors were also replaced as they were prob burned out like my friends. Heavy plastic/electrical burnt smell.

#26 ·
As I reported earlier my brand new X3 experienced a catastrophic fail with the windshield fluid pump stuck on due to faulty junction box electronics. The dealer removed the fuse as a stopgap which means I can't lock the vehicle, I can't open the rear hatch and I have no way to clean the front windshield. I have been waiting since 1/25 for replacement parts and dealer nor bmw has provided a date. Anyone else having a similar experience? At this point I'm frustrated beyond belief and have my patience has been exhausted.

#27 ·
Well that totally sucks. Did they provide a loaner?

#29 ·
The dealer I brought my X3 for service to did not provide or offer a loaner, but the dealer where I got the X3 gave go ahead to get a rental until my X3 is fixed. The most recent update from BMWNA is that the parts were supposedly shipped from Germany on 2/22, but they are unable to provide a delivery date....I find it unbelievable that BMW is incapable of determining when parts will be delivered in the internet world in which we live. As it stands I meet criteria for invoking both MA and VT lemon laws. I am totally disappointed with the customer service BMWNA has provided. This is my fifth BMW but this experience has destroyed all loyalty. 41 days and counting with my X3 has been out of service (all of 920 miles when the failure occurred).

#30 ·
"As it stands I meet criteria for invoking... MA... lemon law..."
-> Offhand, do you know the short summary of the criteria?

#32 · (Edited)
The dreaded "washer fluid pump" issue surfaced this morning on the way to work, the rear nozzle kept splaying until there was no more fluid left. The pump kept making noise even after I locked the X3. Came back in an hour, and there wasn't any noise, but as soon as I unlocked it, the pump was very loud. So I locked it again, and walked away, with the pump still making a racket. Called Service Department, they took a message, and will call me back. We've had the X3 for 3 1/2 months... I'll update once I hear back.

Update - picked up the car today, the dealership replaced windshield washer fluid pump, and some electrics which caused it to run non-stop. They also cleaned the car :) JMK BMW, nice job!

#33 ·
Retired my X5 4.4i a couple of weeks ago and thinking about getting a crossover SUV. X3 or Audi Q5 seem reasonable choices. Don't like Audi's (too effeminate to my taste) so was leaning toward X3 and doing some background research. Very disappointing to hear about the washer fluid pump problem. Other issues such as transmission failsafe have also been reported. This reminds me too much of my X5, which, in repair costs over 8+ years, would have probably gotten a 3-series with a little bit of exaggeration. For those who've had the X3 for a while, am I likely to be in for chronic headaches that are gonna waste my time and $$$? My dealer is pretty good, but I'm on first name basis with their mechanics which is not a good thing. Couldn't find similar reliability postings about Audi Q5 so am a bit conflicted. Any comments from X3 owners would be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.