Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-08-2005, 09:25 AM
saury316 saury316 is offline
Registered User
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: None
BMW 325i vs Audi 2.0T Quattro

Hey guys....
I just found this forum online, and am eager to ask questions and act like a complete newb for a bit....
So I am planning to get a car this week or the next, and am trying to decide between the 2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro and the 2006 BMW 325i.
I live in Pittsburgh, PA, and we get our share of snow and IMHO have terrible roads (potholed, and slopes up and down).

First question:- I know this is a BMW forum and all, but simply put, if I stick with the all-season tires on both cars, would anyone have local/regional experience of driving a RWD/AWD car in the winter? Which would you recommend? (switiching to snows is not an option, as I do not have a place to store the tires).

Second:- My aim is to get either car for as close to, preferebly less tha, $35000.
I have been offered $36,794 for a 2006 BMW 325i with the following options:-
Jet Black
Automatic
Premium Package
Cold Package
Park Distance Control
iDrive Navigation

for the audi it is as follows:-
New Audi A4 2.0T Quattro Tiptronic
WPX Premium Package
PND Audio Navigation Plus
PX3 Lighting Package
PSR Audio Package (Sirius) or (XM) <- I don't really care right now as
to which one...
PRV 17" Alloy Wheels with All Season Tires
4X4 Rear Side Airbags
8X1 Headlight Washer
Parktronic Sensors
Bluetooth Connectivity

Right now I am being quoted near 38000 but I havent negotiated the price like I have done with the BMW yet.

So my question was, specifically for the BMW, are there any options that you think I should get rid off? Is leatherette really THAT good that its beeen mistaken for leather??
Also, do you feel I am being quoted a good price for the BMW?
Finally, is it really a wise decision to go with the BMW??
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 06-08-2005, 09:35 AM
Jalli's Avatar
Jalli Jalli is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Evans, GA/Cornell University
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 712
Mein Auto: 11 X5 35i
Stick with the BMW and stick with leather. You seem to have made good choices as far as packages go based on where you live. Don't get me wrong, the Audi is nice, but it really isn't in the same league as the BMW. Drive both cars and figure out which one youuu like better.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-08-2005, 09:55 AM
pbm317 pbm317 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle/Chicago
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 125
Mein Auto: 06 330i Sport
I was almost on the same boat, but driving the 3 and the Audi back to back, I realized how much more of a BMW guy I really am. The Audi might have a nice interior, but the 3 definitely was much more of "driver's car" I know the term is pretty worn out, but I think it's the simplest way to put it. Now I've only driven the 330, so maybe it's not apples, to apples.

As far as negotiation, you should be able to get pretty much down close to invoice on the A4, as that's what they've been throwing at me, optioned pretty much like you have except with the sport package and manual transmission.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-08-2005, 09:52 AM
Rob325_in_AZ's Avatar
Rob325_in_AZ Rob325_in_AZ is offline
Moderator
Location: Sonoran Desert
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,961
Mein Auto: 2003 Graygreen 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by saury316
Hey guys....

Right now I am being quoted near 38000 but I havent negotiated the price like I have done with the BMW yet.
Just curious... You were able to negotiate down the BMW? I kinda figured they'd still be mostly going for MSRP at this point.

As to your question, I agree you should drive both. I have driven neither of the 2006 offerings, but have driven both of their predecessors (Audi 1.8 T with CVT and of course my own e46 325i manual RWD). If the comparison is similar, BMW wins hands-down from a performance standpoint.

They both look to be nice cars though, you couldn't go too far wrong either way.
__________________
2003 Gray-Green 325i, 5-spd, sport, HK, sand leather

2007 Porsche Boxster S, Guards Red, 6-spd manual

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-08-2005, 09:55 AM
egtlover74 egtlover74 is offline
2011 335is on order
Location: virginia
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 79
Mein Auto: 2011 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob325_in_AZ
Just curious... You were able to negotiate down the BMW? I kinda figured they'd still be mostly going for MSRP at this point.

As to your question, I agree you should drive both. I have driven neither of the 2006 offerings, but have driven both of their predecessors (Audi 1.8 T with CVT and of course my own e46 325i manual RWD). If the comparison is similar, BMW wins hands-down from a performance standpoint.

They both look to be nice cars though, you couldn't go too far wrong either way.
You can buy e90 325i or 330i for about $1000~$1500 over invoice.
How do I know? I ordered my 325i for $1100 over invoice and my boss just bought 330i at $1000 over invoice.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-08-2005, 10:03 AM
Rob325_in_AZ's Avatar
Rob325_in_AZ Rob325_in_AZ is offline
Moderator
Location: Sonoran Desert
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,961
Mein Auto: 2003 Graygreen 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by egtlover74
You can buy e90 325i or 330i for about $1000~$1500 over invoice.
How do I know? I ordered my 325i for $1100 over invoice and my boss just bought 330i at $1000 over invoice.
Really? Heck, that's as good as I did on my 2003 (and I had to go back and forth between three dealers for that).

Were these numbers for ED?
__________________
2003 Gray-Green 325i, 5-spd, sport, HK, sand leather

2007 Porsche Boxster S, Guards Red, 6-spd manual

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-08-2005, 10:18 AM
pbm317 pbm317 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle/Chicago
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 125
Mein Auto: 06 330i Sport
Can you share dealer info?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-08-2005, 10:42 AM
brkf's Avatar
brkf brkf is online now
Not Wearing Pants
Location: Earth
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 13,459
Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob325_in_AZ
Really? Heck, that's as good as I did on my 2003 (and I had to go back and forth between three dealers for that).

Were these numbers for ED?
No, man. ED people are getting 1k over ED invoice, not dealer invoice.

If my dealer is down in the $400 range when I start looking into purchase maybe I'll avoid ED. Doubt it though...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-08-2005, 12:26 PM
saury316 saury316 is offline
Registered User
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: None
Hi guys....thanks for all the replies.
I have scheduled test drives with a dealer for both cars. However, the thing is that none of the dealers around pittsburgh (and I am talking about a 25 mile radius) ahve either car with navigation and the transmission I want.
The only work around I have found so far is to test drive the 5 series with navigation for a feel on the iDrive and then test drive the 3 w/o navigation for a feel of the car. Is that a good idea??
FOr the Audi, the dealer has kindly contacted a clinet of his who both the A4 with navigation, and she is willing to give me a ride in it, and then I can acutally test drive the A$, again w/o navi.

Back to my question, are there any people with expereinces of driving their 3 (this or the E46) in the snow, or in the winter in the Pittsburgh area (even better)? How about the Audi?

Also, so I should go for the premium w/leather??
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-08-2005, 12:45 PM
timmerweb timmerweb is offline
Registered User
Location: Ottawa, Canada
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: E90 soon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by saury316
Hey guys....
I just found this forum online, and am eager to ask questions and act like a complete newb for a bit....
So I am planning to get a car this week or the next, and am trying to decide between the 2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro and the 2006 BMW 325i.
I live in Pittsburgh, PA, and we get our share of snow and IMHO have terrible roads (potholed, and slopes up and down).

First question:- I know this is a BMW forum and all, but simply put, if I stick with the all-season tires on both cars, would anyone have local/regional experience of driving a RWD/AWD car in the winter? Which would you recommend? (switiching to snows is not an option, as I do not have a place to store the tires).
How is NOT getting snow tires an option? Both cars you're looking at are performance cars, which means you want well-performing tires, which means these tires will offer close to zero traction in snow (all-seasons will not get you good snow performance either, and you'll end up with mediocre summer performance). Driving an expensive car like an Audi or BMW in snow without snow tires there is just too great a risk that your day will end in tears. Do you really want to see your nice new piece of German engineering on the back of a tow-truck next snow storm?

Most places that sell tires also offer storage, sometimes even for free. Or find a friend with some extra garage space to store the tires for you. And remember you're prolonging the life of your summer tires this way, so the cost isn't that high.


-Tim
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-08-2005, 03:06 PM
alpinewhite325i alpinewhite325i is offline
I love my beautiful wife.
Location: Pittsburgh
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,151
Mein Auto: '01 325i
Welcome fellow Pittsburgher!!

Your answer is very very simple.

Since snow tires are not an option, DO NOT GET THE BMW.

Without a set of dedicated snows, you will get nowhere fast.
__________________
'01 325i
5sp
I Love my beautiful wife
moonroof:

Last edited by alpinewhite325i; 06-08-2005 at 06:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-08-2005, 03:22 PM
saury316 saury316 is offline
Registered User
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: None
Hi apline....***** thats quite disappointing...i was hoping the all-seasons would help a bit.
So I am assuming you got snow tires....for example this year...when did u put them on and take them off?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-08-2005, 04:23 PM
batmanwagon batmanwagon is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 32
Mein Auto: E90 330i on order
I wouldn't go quite so far as to say "don't get it" - good all-season tires make it possible to drive on snow and in slushy conditions. While PA may have snow, how often do you have to drive on snow-covered roads? Can you wait for them to be plowed?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-08-2005, 04:34 PM
saury316 saury316 is offline
Registered User
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmanwagon
I wouldn't go quite so far as to say "don't get it" - good all-season tires make it possible to drive on snow and in slushy conditions. While PA may have snow, how often do you have to drive on snow-covered roads? Can you wait for them to be plowed?
Most roads that I have seen in Pittsburgh are slush...there has been quite a bit of slush at times....
on a few rare occasions the road has yet to be plowed (as far as I have seen...)
what i wanted to know is that are the all-season run flats bmw gives good enough...as you suggest?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-08-2005, 06:38 PM
alpinewhite325i alpinewhite325i is offline
I love my beautiful wife.
Location: Pittsburgh
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,151
Mein Auto: '01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmanwagon
I wouldn't go quite so far as to say "don't get it" - good all-season tires make it possible to drive on snow and in slushy conditions. While PA may have snow, how often do you have to drive on snow-covered roads? Can you wait for them to be plowed?
While we have had fairly mild winters the last two years, the potential is there for copious amounts of snow. When that happens, you will go NOWHERE with allseasons.
__________________
'01 325i
5sp
I Love my beautiful wife
moonroof:
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-08-2005, 09:26 PM
saury316 saury316 is offline
Registered User
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite325i
While we have had fairly mild winters the last two years, the potential is there for copious amounts of snow. When that happens, you will go NOWHERE with allseasons.
Being a Pittsburgher....just out of curiosity...do you know anywhere in Pittsburgh where I could store teh tires...really cheaply?
Becasue as has been said...I just find the interior/exterior of the BMW a lot better than the Audi.
The only thing actually holding me to the Audi is the AWD and the fact its slightly cheaper. Waiting for the 2006 BMW 325xi is just going to be a while, casue I have checked with dealers and they expect Sept to OCtober....also I think with the 325 already this pricy...the x will simply be out of my budget.
I am really looking forward to the test drives this Saturday....unfortunately there is no snow...lol...but there is predictions of rain....not the same by far...but better than a dry sunny day ...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-08-2005, 06:32 PM
alpinewhite325i alpinewhite325i is offline
I love my beautiful wife.
Location: Pittsburgh
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,151
Mein Auto: '01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by saury316
Hi apline....***** thats quite disappointing...i was hoping the all-seasons would help a bit.
So I am assuming you got snow tires....for example this year...when did u put them on and take them off?
I know it's not the answer you wanted, but it's the honest truth.

I put mine on right around Thanksgiving and took them off the first weekend of March.

I think we had one day after that where there was an inch or two of snow. I took my wifes Sequoia and left the Bimmer in the garage.

Good luck in your decision!!
__________________
'01 325i
5sp
I Love my beautiful wife
moonroof:
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-03-2005, 05:47 PM
maxreco maxreco is offline
Registered User
Location: Cape Cod
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 59
Mein Auto: 1994 325ic
Those who know...drive Quattro!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-08-2005, 09:26 PM
Saintor's Avatar
Saintor Saintor is offline
Abuser of everything
Location: MTL
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,919
Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
I owned an Audi Quattro and now a BMW rwd in very northern climate. AWD is no substitute for winter tires.

BMW Traction Control is very effficient and I would never pay more for an Audi 4 cyl. The quality feel of a six in this class is a must when you spend that much money.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-08-2005, 09:40 PM
saury316 saury316 is offline
Registered User
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor
I owned an Audi Quattro and now a BMW rwd in very northern climate. AWD is no substitute for winter tires.

BMW Traction Control is very effficient and I would never pay more for an Audi 4 cyl. The quality feel of a six in this class is a must when you spend that much money.
So which would you go for?? You say the AWD is no sub for winter tires...
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-09-2005, 05:10 AM
DevExpert DevExpert is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: earth
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 93
Mein Auto: 2007 328i Manutomatic ZSP
I had 325XI E46 that I replaced with the A4 3.0 Quattro manual, Ultrasport (long story)...

Audi drive is really harsher than BMW but the grip is amazing. The thing is glued to the road. I'd say that BMW really has better driver's feedback, probably better transmission (especially E90, tried it), and very very smooth V6, but if you are worried about winter then Quattro is definitely good choice. I live in Michigan and love the AWD even with all season tires. Now that I got used to Audi I can tell you that they have their own characteristics and feel that I've grown to appreciate and love in the same way I did my BMW. It is just different.

Test drive both and decide based on what you like more and not really whether it is AWD or RWD. Reason being is that winter setup is cheap ~$1000 for wheels and tires and you should be fine in winter. If you like BMW more get it, with winter setup you'll be fine. Everybody in Europe is driving in winter RWD cars just fine :-)

But with all this said I plan to get new M3 down the road...
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-12-2005, 09:01 AM
westwest888's Avatar
westwest888 westwest888 is offline
Banned
Location: San Francisco, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,180
Mein Auto: 2010 Audi S4
washington DC dealers

Hey,

Looking for dealers in the Washington DC metro area that are reputable and willing to get me an e90 for $1000-$1500 above european delivery invoice.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-14-2005, 12:54 PM
italia90 italia90 is offline
Registered User
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: bmw 3251
bmw vs. audi

Saury, you are in the exact predicament as I am. I too am looking at buying one of the two cars. I am leaning toward the bmw because I do still think it is a higher quality car. Living in Canada, believe me, I experience much more severe driving conditions than any American. So, I have asked many people and I get mixed reviews. Some say the RWD is fine as long as you have winter tires on it. Others say it's a nightmare because you get stuck easily. Stability control does nothing when you're stuck in a standstill position. Also, many say the BMWxi's are not like real BMW's because it takes away from the driving feel. My sense tells me the Audi quattro is better in the winter, but my heart wants the BMW. I figure, for a $3000 option of AWD, I'm going with the BMWxi. Unfortunately, it doesn't come out until October and I'm dying to get into one for the summer. I hope I can make it to October. Some good deals on the 1.8T Audi are really starting to pop up. I like the body on the 1.8T better than that of the 2.0T. But that's a whole new discussion. I am so confused!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-14-2005, 03:13 PM
Wolf359's Avatar
Wolf359 Wolf359 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 391
Mein Auto: '06 325i
As far as reliability goes, I think you'd have more satisfaction with the BMW (No VW parts there), but you also could be badlucky so I don't want to sound as if that was a warranty... However, if you take a drive in both, there is a lot of chance your heart would lean towards the Bimmer.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:34 PM
deburn deburn is offline
Deburn
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 97
Mein Auto: 2011 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by italia90
Saury, you are in the exact predicament as I am. I too am looking at buying one of the two cars. I am leaning toward the bmw because I do still think it is a higher quality car. Living in Canada, believe me, I experience much more severe driving conditions than any American. So, I have asked many people and I get mixed reviews. Some say the RWD is fine as long as you have winter tires on it. Others say it's a nightmare because you get stuck easily. Stability control does nothing when you're stuck in a standstill position. Also, many say the BMWxi's are not like real BMW's because it takes away from the driving feel. My sense tells me the Audi quattro is better in the winter, but my heart wants the BMW. I figure, for a $3000 option of AWD, I'm going with the BMWxi. Unfortunately, it doesn't come out until October and I'm dying to get into one for the summer. I hope I can make it to October. Some good deals on the 1.8T Audi are really starting to pop up. I like the body on the 1.8T better than that of the 2.0T. But that's a whole new discussion. I am so confused!!!!
I used to drive a 1.8T MT. I liked the car a lot and it was good during the winter (I live in Boston) with regular tires. What I really disliked about it was the engine - 1st and 2nd gear suck big time. My next car was a 325xi and after that I swore I'd never get another 4 cylinder. Nevertheless, the lease on my xi is coming to an end and I did check out the A4 because the new 2.0 is getting good reviews. I didnt like it much and I also had a very negative experience with Audi of America earlier.

Long story short I just signed up for a 2006 325 MT and I'm wondering whether I shoudld get the SP
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Option code list Terry Kennedy General BMW 16 05-14-2006 04:59 PM
Help -- 05 BMW 330xi vs 04 Audi S4 verdemont 3 Series / 4 Series 25 09-28-2004 07:31 AM
E65 V12 debuts nate General BMW 21 07-14-2004 10:04 PM
BMW drivers selected for Nürburgring 24 Hours tim330i Motorsports, Racing & Track 5 03-17-2004 08:37 AM
*(Video)* MY SUPERCHARGED BMW 540i Vs. AUDI S4 BI-TURBO.... & More Jimmy540i.com General BMW 21 03-18-2003 11:30 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms