Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 06-16-2005, 05:58 PM
Driving Fool

Send a message via MSN to JohnGo
Mein Auto: 2001 330ci & 2001 Z3
Exclamation '01 330ci Alternator Removal

Hey all,

I have to replace my alternator and have gotten to it easy enough (removing the air filter box and detaching the ATF oil reservoir) and it appears that only one bolt holds the alternator on. However, that bolt appears to be attached to or part of the tension pulley. I have searched high and low and haven't found one "n00b" thread for removing the alternator or loosening the pulley.

I have ordered the silly manual for this car twice now, but everyone keeps coming back with "it was sold already" messages, so I am desperately trying to figure out how to get the alternator off so I can have my car back on the road by Saturday... I miss my baby!

Help me OBMWon, you're my only hope!

JohnGo

Last edited by JohnGo; 06-16-2005 at 06:12 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 06-16-2005, 10:14 PM
Driving Fool

Ok... Here is what I figured out on getting the alternator out..

It took 4 hours and breaking my arm in 4 places, but we figured it out.

First off, disconnect the battery, negative (black) cable first.

There are dust caps on the pulleys. They are plastic and they pop right off. On the alternator pulley, it covers a 16mm bolt that loosens and just fits past the fan on removal. If you tap the pulley out (towards the radiator) with a rubber mallet, it rotates just off center and releases enough tension to pull the bolt out and get the pulley out of the way. There is another bolt underneath the alternator. Be aware, it is very tight quarters and you should keep a magnet handy, because you will invariably drop a ratchet or a wrench down to the bottom tray. Fun fun...

The tension pulley is just below the one you just removed. There is a bolt head down and to the left of the tension pulley that you can place a long handled wrench on and twist it to release the tension on the belt and pull it off of the main alternator pulley. We couldn't get a socket on it, so we used the two wrench method to get some leverage and turned the pulley enough to slip an allen wrench into a hole that holds the pulley in a non-tension position, making it easier to work in the area. After loosening the bolt on the bottom and using a small pry bar, the alternator twisted up to where we could pull the air intake duct off the bottom and disconnect the cables from the rear. The air intake on the alternator was crammed full of leaves and paper. No wonder it began failing...

You are now holding an alternator in your hands, and have 4 nice, clean breaks in your forearm.

I will follow up with reinstallation...
Old 06-21-2005, 08:23 AM
Driving Fool

Now what?

I got the the alternator back from the place rebuilding it only to learn there were no problems with it. They told me the output was right at 14v. The battery is holding a full charge. Anyone have any ideas on what may be causing the drain on the battery?

Some history:
  • When the battery was drained, I had been sitting in heavy morning traffic for about an hour in 72 degree F North Georgia weather. I reached my destination, and had no problems. I went to move the car less than 15 minutes after arriving, and, when attempting to start, learned the battery was dead. I let it sit for almost 8 hours, but it still wouldn't start. We used jumper cables (prior to learning it is not a good idea) and got it running. Upon getting the car restarted, the battery light came on (it was not on before), went off when accelerating, but came back on when letting off the gas or sitting still. Upon reaching the shop, we removed the battery (per specs) and placed it on a charger outside the car. The "eye" was black, which meant to charge the battery according to the label. It charged up to capacity and performed well under load on a load tester. We let it recharge for over an hour and placed it back into the car. The car started up no problem, and no warning lights were on. We tested voltage at the battery and it read 9v, which is what led us to believe the alternator was failing.
  • It is a factory battery and the "eye" is reading fine - no problems.
  • I have not recently installed anything, electronic or otherwise.
  • The car has been sitting more than normal, but has been driven at least 3-4 times a week.
  • The car has just under 85000 miles on it.
  • I have kept all the service items up to date, including the major service items at a local, reputable BMW certified mechanic.
  • The temperatures have been warm and very humid ranging from the high 60s (F) at night to high 80s during the day.
  • I haven't run over anything or taken any damage.
  • Until now, I have had no problems. Of course it is out of warranty, and I am out of work, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2005, 09:05 AM
.oo=||=oo.

Mein Auto: Bimmers
Is the battery still the original? If so, 4 yrs is about due for replacement, test results notwithstanding.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:30 AM
Driving Fool

So far as I know. I bought it about a year and a half ago used.

Also, would that cause a 9v reading when it was just charged and reading reading 12v outside the car?

Last edited by JohnGo; 06-21-2005 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:14 PM
.oo=||=oo.

Mein Auto: Bimmers
Sorry, can't answer that. I can only speak from experience (mine died just shy of 4 yrs).

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=battery+dead
Old 06-22-2005, 03:14 PM
Driving Fool

Thanks, bro!

I will be working on it again tomorrow and will take it to a parts store and have them test the battery.

j
Old 07-23-2008, 05:14 AM

Mein Auto: 325i 2002
This thread helped me a lot with replacing the alternator in my '02 325i. THANKS!!! I thought I'd share some tips from my experience.

You will undoubtly loose/drop a bolt or tool while doing this. It is really easy to remove the cover under the engine and highly recommended so that the bolt or tool fall to the ground instead of trying to fish it out. The cover comes off with 7 one turn screws and 3 plastic rivets, very well designed to remove and re-install easily.

Also, an easy way to lock the belt tensioner to relieve to pressure is to just pull on the belt once you remove the top bolt/pulley of the alternator. This will position the tensioner so that you can place something in the two holes and lock it in position.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!
Old 11-24-2012, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: 540i
This thread has great information. I have a 2003 540i that has recently had some battery issues. I replaced the battery in May. It appears to not be holding a a charge - specifically overnight. I checked the Alternator output while running and it is at 13.5v when idling. I am thinking this is a bad battery. Any ideas?