Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 09-20-2005, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Electrical Problems - LKM Related Only?? (1992 e34)

Hi. Im pretty new to this forum.
I just bought a 1992 525i and it seems to be having some electrical issues.
I read about how the LKM is the cause for intermittent highbeam failure.

Here my symptoms:
The lowbeams work fine. They seem to be pretty solid.
The high beams do not work at all. Don't even flicker. nothing.
The fog lights don't work at all.
I get a warning in the console stating "tailight"
The console light that illuminates mileage and such is not working.

might also be related:
the rear defroster button lights up, but the AC and recirculation buttons do not. (possibly because of a bulb being out..i imagine the AC bulb gets alot more use than the auto-shut off rear defroster bulb)
I was told the car's ac didn't work, but that it was due to a need for a recharge, not an electrical issue.

I test drove the car, and the highbeams and fog lights worked (im pretty sure), but it needed a new voltage regulator which has been replaced, and now this stuff is all broken.

also, in the fuse/relay box, there seems to be some stuff just not there. relay port 3 is open. also, when i open the smaller box in front of that there is other empty spaces. could this be the issue? (ill take pics tonight to clarify, im in work now)

basically, there is a whole bunch of little problems, and a several possible explanations, and i was hoping someone could help me shed some light on this before i do 10 hours of unnecessary trouble shooting.

TIA
---
Doug
Advertisement
Old 09-21-2005, 03:48 AM

Mein Auto: 1992 525i Wagon
I read on another BMW site that the owner fixed their odd ball electrical problems by replacing the fuseable link next to the battery. Here a link which may be of some help:

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...sible_link.htm

Regardless where your battery is located, there is one or sometimes two fuseable links to check.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
That's interesting. Ill have to check that out.

One thing i just thought of:
when i first test drove the car, i am almost sure that the high beams and such were working. however, when i went to pick up the car, the guy selling it had informed me that the battery had died the night before. the radio code needed to be reset, etc

could that be related to all of this? could the battery dying mess up the fog lights and HBs?
Old 10-11-2005, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: 1989 535i
Ltk Module Help Tips

I RECENTLY HAD A PROBLEM WITH MY 1889 535 LTK MODULE AND THOUGHT I HAD TO DISH OUT 250DOLLARS FOR A NEW ONEBECAUSE ONLY MY LEFT LOW BEAM WORKED . BUT SINCE I DONT WANT TO SPEND THAT MUCH MONEY ON ONE I OPENED IT UP AND PUT IT BACK IN WITH OUT THE COVER. I STARTED TO FLIT ON AND OFF MY LIGHTS AND ONLY MY LEFT LOW BEAM TURNED ON. I NOTICED THAT ONE OF THE RELAYS WASNT TOUCHING WHEN I TURNED ON THE LIGHTS, SO WITH A BALL PIONT PEN I PUSEHED THE CONNECTER TOGHETHER AND WHALA IT TURNED ON. SO I JUST BENT THE LITTLE COPPER LOOKING LEG OF THE RELAY AND NOW IT WORKS. SORRY IF I WAS TO CONFUSING BUT ITS MY FIRST TIME POSTING SOMETHING BUT I THINK ITS SOMETHING THAT ALOT WILL APPRECIATE GOOD LUCK.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:15 PM
On the HI-Way of Life

Mein Auto: '94 540i, '03 330Xi
go to http://www.bimmer.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10
search for "high beam" or something... LKM will also give you many results.
They will easily fix your problem.
If it is the LKM, you may be able to fix it yourself....
Old 11-07-2005, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: 1992 BMW 325 IS
Unhappy electrical problems

i have a 1992 325is and it started with the same problems doug is facing... check said "tail light failure" sunroof and windows stopped working and when i replaced the fuse it blew immediately, also the clock and date in the console would go out intermittently... i figured, the car is 13 years old its going to have quirky problems like this, however.... after of few months of annoying electrical problems it culminated in a failure of headlights, taillights, brake lights, windows, sunroof, all gauges, and power locks.... and i knew it was more than a fuse problem because there was obviously waaaay too much ampage which caused fuses to blow as soon as i put them in.... long story short, when i applied the brakes i noticed a little smoke coming in through the vents that smelled like burning plastic, so after looking at the wires under the steering wheel it was evident that the plastic coating of the wires leading to the fuse box had melted away and the wires were touching causing major shorts. there is obviously a huge ampage problem that is causing major shorts but after 2 weeks in the shop and $1500 theres no end in sight yet, so doug id suggest you get this checked out before you need an entire electrical overhaul.

goodluck
erin