Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Classic Bimmers

Classic Bimmers
Discussions pertaining to vintage and classic BMW models here...

Old 10-29-2005, 11:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to Haaatschi Send a message via MSN to Haaatschi
Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 325 burgundrot
"Youngtimers" from the 70s & 80s anyone?

I am posting this to check if there are more "Youngtimer" enthusiasts out there!

It really is a big movement in Germany (where I come from originally) right now. People in their 20s and 30s often buy these old cars from some pensioners that kept them like babies. Many of these cars were sooo uncool when we were kids (or we could not afford them) - now they only cost 2000 or 3000 bucks they have kind of a cult following. I am not that familiar with US family sedans of the 80s but imagine our kids start buying Camrys, Impalas, Accords, Explorers, Tahoes and Sonatas (or any current BMW for that matter) in 20 years and find it way cool to decorate them with Winnie the Pooh sun protectors from today, browse ebay for CDs from Celine Dion or Kelly Clarkson that they can use in these old stock CD radios. I know people who only listen to tapes from the 80s in their E30s ;-) And yet, it's not that snobby "oldtimer" (does that term exist in the US) crowd with their vintage cars that are worth 10s and 100s of thousands. If your youngtimer breaks - get another one. It's only a few thousand bucks - not a big loss. Dirt or daily wear and tear are acceptable and desired. We don't want to worship the car - we want to honor it by still using it. That's the spirit I enjoy so much.

I, for example, own a BMW 325 from 1987 - a car that I always dreamed about as a teenager. And I make a point of not giving it the high school kid treatment that many of these vehicles receive today (lowering, tuning, wide tires, loud exhaust). I keep it true to the original spec and the era it was built in.

It's an affordable and fun hobby. If there are more people with that passion around, one could think about joining forces and organizing excursions, "rallyes", monthly meetings and other fun stuff.

So if you are purposefully driving your BMW E21, E28, E30, E32 or any other from the 70s, 80s and early 90s just drop me a line if you think this is something for you. I'll see how it goes and start something if I hear from a few people.

Haaatschi

Youngtimer

------------------------------------------------------------

E30 325 - burgundrot-metallic - 1987
http://youngtimer-cars.blogspot.com

Advertisement
Old 11-15-2005, 07:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '76 3.0 Si
Hey,

What of the E3? I love driving my car, even though the creature comforts of 1976 are a far cry from today's standards. I am only 3 years older than my car. In fact, besides my truck, I only drive the 3.0, and my 71 240Z. Style (compared to today's mega-mass produced cookie cutter [made in same factory, only swapped badges] clones) back then was actually stylistic, IMHO. I think the 80s-90s and even 2000 models are way too boxy and ugly. The square lines of the 80/90 and the drooping lines of today don't appeal to me, I guess.
BTW, I only WISH this car was worth the 10s or even 100s of thousands of dollars!!!
-STILL FOR SALE-
'76 3.0 Si AC/PW 4Spd
6 cyl. rocketsled

http://www.m2differentials.com
"Putting our parts in your rear end since 2009!"

MatM@M2Differentials.com
Old 11-15-2005, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
I could get into this, especialy since I really like german sedans from the 70s, 80s and early 90s (before they started trying to be cool). My faves are the e28, e34, e3, e30 and the Mercedes W 116 S-class, W123 E-class, W124 Eclass, and W126 S class. I'd have all of them if I could.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:01 AM
Chocolate Salty Balls

Mein Auto: Slammin Taco
OK mines got the "High School Kid" treatment, but I bought it that way. When I was looking around I decided on this one because I always liked the boxy shape of the E30 and the body was pretty clean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avatar (3).jpg
Views:	175
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	61392  
Old 11-17-2005, 08:29 AM
Not addicted... OBSESSED!

Send a message via Yahoo to R2dmax
Mein Auto: 99 528it/5 S; 88 735il
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg
I could get into this, especialy since I really like german sedans from the 70s, 80s and early 90s (before they started trying to be cool). My faves are the e28, e34, e3, e30 and the Mercedes W 116 S-class, W123 E-class, W124 Eclass, and W126 S class. I'd have all of them if I could.
I couldn't agree more. I guess I'm a youngtimer. I do like most BMWs through the year 2000, but I'm not exactly happy with the look of the latest models.

My 1st Bimmer was an e28 528e. I loved that car but ALWAYS wanted an e30 convertible.
2nd Car: a greymarket 325i convertible of course!
next e30 325e
then My 2nd Fav: e28 535is
next e30 325is
Now e32 735iL

Youngtimer? I say "YES"!
Old 11-17-2005, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: 1991 325i Convertible
Youngtimer or not the e-30 is my favorite car of alltime to date. Pimped out or stock it has its own life no matter the options!
Old 11-17-2005, 10:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to Haaatschi Send a message via MSN to Haaatschi
Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 325 burgundrot
Awesome! Looks like there actually is a bunch of us out there. What do you guys think about joinin forces in some way and really organize something (meetings, excursions etc.)? That kind of stuff has taken off in my home country Germany quite a bit and it's way cool if there is a group of well-maintained Youngtimers cruising the highway or parking in front of a cool place. Below a few pictures my friends in Germany took on their excursions.

I have started my little humble blog on the subject and also a Yahoo! mailing list (if yous end a mail to it, everybody gets it) to facilitate some exchange. Lots of people join the list but so far it's been pretty quiet in terms of messages - I guess peopel just wait for each other to take the first step.

URLs:

My blog: http://youngtimer-cars.blogspot.com/
The Yahoo group/mailing list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/youngclassics/

What do you guys think one could do to join forces?

Take care,

Tom

Youngtimer

------------------------------------------------------------

E30 325 - burgundrot-metallic - 1987
http://youngtimer-cars.blogspot.com

Old 11-20-2005, 01:44 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaatschi
I am posting this to check if there are more "Youngtimer" enthusiasts out there!

It really is a big movement in Germany (where I come from originally) right now. People in their 20s and 30s often buy these old cars from some pensioners that kept them like babies. Many of these cars were sooo uncool when we were kids (or we could not afford them) - now they only cost 2000 or 3000 bucks they have kind of a cult following. I am not that familiar with US family sedans of the 80s but imagine our kids start buying Camrys, Impalas, Accords, Explorers, Tahoes and Sonatas (or any current BMW for that matter) in 20 years and find it way cool to decorate them with Winnie the Pooh sun protectors from today, browse ebay for CDs from Celine Dion or Kelly Clarkson that they can use in these old stock CD radios. I know people who only listen to tapes from the 80s in their E30s ;-) And yet, it's not that snobby "oldtimer" (does that term exist in the US) crowd with their vintage cars that are worth 10s and 100s of thousands. If your youngtimer breaks - get another one. It's only a few thousand bucks - not a big loss. Dirt or daily wear and tear are acceptable and desired. We don't want to worship the car - we want to honor it by still using it. That's the spirit I enjoy so much.

I, for example, own a BMW 325 from 1987 - a car that I always dreamed about as a teenager. And I make a point of not giving it the high school kid treatment that many of these vehicles receive today (lowering, tuning, wide tires, loud exhaust). I keep it true to the original spec and the era it was built in.

It's an affordable and fun hobby. If there are more people with that passion around, one could think about joining forces and organizing excursions, "rallyes", monthly meetings and other fun stuff.

So if you are purposefully driving your BMW E21, E28, E30, E32 or any other from the 70s, 80s and early 90s just drop me a line if you think this is something for you. I'll see how it goes and start something if I hear from a few people.

Haaatschi

After driving an 84 and a 2000 3 series back to back for a few years, I have to say: I hope I always can drive my E30. Fundamentaly they are very similar in driving dynamics. I still get the fealing that the E46 is just an extension/update to the E30. Honestly I dont see how one can truly appreciate one without driving the other. I imagine the fealings to be similar when driving the 2002s, 3.0, or whatever. I love the old M10 engines. They have little power, but are bulletproof. I seized one up in my younger days from overheating. I let it cool down added water, and the sucker started up. Granted it didnt last long beyond that, but still.