Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 10-04-2002, 04:30 PM
Into the dark ages

Mein Auto: Mystery MACHINE
Rost...u've been referenced

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e...e000098745.cfm
Old 10-04-2002, 04:56 PM
round -n- shiney

Send a message via ICQ to rost12 Send a message via MSN to rost12
Mein Auto: m5, 911
Cool

Yay!

I'd like to take this moment to thank my biggest contributor, LowTech!

Nice catch, Chris. Thanks for posting

I'm off to sleep, BMW Driver training tomorrow, 8:30am
Old 10-04-2002, 06:46 PM
Code 66

Mein Auto: .
Nice one rost
Old 10-04-2002, 07:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 745Li
nice!! I just saw that link today too!!!

MMAfia
Old 10-04-2002, 09:05 PM
7th heaven

Mein Auto: '01 740 and '02 745
Quote:
Originally posted by rost12
[B]I'd like to take this moment to thank my biggest contributor, LowTech!
Hey man - you "outed" me! I'm just a ghost writer!

Didn't you ever hear of Cyrano de Bergerac?

Seriously, Rost, thanks for the byline, but you deserve kudos!! You can't hide from AutoSpies! Great work!
Old 10-05-2002, 03:19 PM
Realtor/Mortgage Broker

Mein Auto: 535i
Way to go Rost.
Old 10-06-2002, 12:12 AM
Into the dark ages

Mein Auto: Mystery MACHINE
well how was it? don't keep us in suspence. was ur session at downsview airport?

Quote:
Originally posted by rost12
I'm off to sleep, BMW Driver training tomorrow, 8:30am
Old 10-06-2002, 06:29 AM
round -n- shiney

Send a message via ICQ to rost12 Send a message via MSN to rost12
Mein Auto: m5, 911
Yep, it took place at Downsview park. I took level one, and I must say it was well worth the money ( that's no surprise, BMW's are worth the money too )

In the begining they give you a theory crash course, talk to you about weight transfers, limited grip at the wheels that can be used for acceleration, turning, etc. Show us how to position our seats, how to hold and turn the steering wheel properly ("9 and 3, boys and girls, 9 and 3" could be heard throughout the day when instructor noticed somebody's hands creeping up to 10 and 2). About instructors - very fun guys, who race cars for a living. And boy, they have eagle's eyesight

They also talk about habbits, about attitude adjustments for driving, etc. Trying to make us safer drivers, no doubt

Then we were off to the lot. 4 different excersices:

1 - Understeer (front wheel slip) and its control (A cirle of wet and sealed surface (slick!) and drive in circle at contant speed and then slowly increase your speed. Front end goes wii-i-i-ide. This was done with all electronic assistants turned off)

2 - Oversteer (rear wheel slip) and its control (Same circle as above, a bit lower speed, then lift and accelerate abruptly. Rear end goes fishing Again, all electronic assitants off)

3 - Braking on wet surface (in rain, when you double your speed your braking distance increases almost 4 times) This was done with all electoric trickery off and then on to make us feel the difference.

4 - Obstacle avoidance (they set up a lane of cones, and the end of it they put one in the middle. it was a pretty tight squeeze even at low speed Then they increase your speed to 50 and then 60 and you avoid hitting that centerl cone by going left or right. The cone was named Bart and he got trashed, hehe)

At the end they set up a small slalom course and let us rip at it
Fun

We drove manual 2002 330i's, Topaz Blue with M-sport packages....shweet cars. They had no more than 3000km's on them and were super tight, even with all the abuse they see out there. Another group was driving steptronics, they had fun too.

Good times, for sure Level 2. here I come.

At level two they do similar stuff, drive 330i's again and at the end of the course let you drive and M3.
At level three is a two day course, they are going to drive M3 all day at the track, somewhere in Quebec, from what I gathered. Level three is going to be offered next year.

I've been dreaming about an M3 for a while now. After this course, 330i has MORE than enough power for me