Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 02-21-2006, 08:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 Z4(his) / 04 525(hers)
How to Reset IDrive Information Warning Messages

I recently replaced my Brake pads on a 04 E60 and needed to reset the Idrive Information
I did some google searchers and found the following information. I tried it on my E60 and it worked perfectly. I am thinking that other models with Idrive will work the same way. This is not my write but was found on E60.net but thought I would post here for others to use.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=17756&st=15

Firstly with the ignition switched on, set the odometer trip meter back to zero by pushing it once. Then switch the ignition back off again. (I found this step was critical, otherwise I couldn't get to the "Service" menu).

Now you are ready to go through the reset steps as follows:

1. Switch the ignition on (so that the battery, Oil and Parking brake lights are displayed) and the key is ready to start the engine - but don't actually start the car.

2. Press the odometer reset button for between 5 and 10 seconds until a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the centre appears in the top window between the clocks (where the outside temperature / time or date normally appears) - this is the "Service" icon.

3. Release the odometer button briefly and press again straight away which brings up a picture of the Brake Fluid symbol (same as the one that the i-drive shows when you look at the Service menu).

4. If you want to reset the Brake Fluid interval for another 2 years then keep holding the odometer button until the word "RESET?" appears at the bottom of the lower window.

5. Release the button briefly and push it in again and hold for about 5 - 10 seconds until the new date appears in the bottom window. You can then switch the ignition off and the new Brake Fluid date will appear in the service menu on the i-drive screen next time you switch on.

6. If you want to reset the Oil, Microfilter or Brake Pad indicators then you will need to follow the same sequence as steps 1 and 2 above, but when you get to step 3 and the brake Fluid icon appears, just release the button and press again and the next service item will appear.

7. You can continue releasing and pressing the button until the required service item icon appears for the one you want to reset. As soon as it does then hold in the button in until the word "RESET?" appears again as in step 4 above. Once the word "RESET?" has appeared, you need to release the button briefly and hold it in again for about 5 - 10 seconds until it is replaced by the new service interval figure (as per step 5 above).

Hints & Tips
Before actually resetting anything, go through steps 1, 2 and 6 above until you are familiar (and sure) what you want to reset. Practice this a few times and note down in what order the icons appear after the initial "Service" icon appears.

If you do happen to hold the button down too long against an item you don't want to reset and the "RESET?" appears, just leave the button alone for 10 seconds or so and it will not let you reset the item. (Alternatively just switch the ignition off and start again).

Sometimes if you have not released and pressed the button again quickly enough, when you hold it down again the German technical writing will appear after about 15 - 20 seconds instead of the Service item icon you were expecting. (If this happens just switch off the ignition and start again).

Once you are sure what item you want to reset and are confident of the sequence, then give it a go. If you do hesitate between releasing and pressing the button at any time, you will have to go back to the beginning and start again as "he who hesitates is lost".
Ads by Google
Old 03-04-2006, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: 745I
Cool Reset works on the e65

Thanks a million!
Old 03-05-2006, 04:00 AM

Mein Auto: '06 330xi, '05 X3 3.0
This needs to be a sticky!!!
Old 07-19-2007, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: E65 730d SE
Smile Fantastic, clear and concise instructions, Thank-you......!

Fantastic, clear and concise instructions, Thank-you......!
Old 12-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Bimmer / Beemer

Mein Auto: 2004 525i
No mo error on iDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by joea9146 View Post
I recently replaced my Brake pads on a 04 E60 and needed to reset the Idrive Information
I did some google searchers and found the following information. I tried it on my E60 and it worked perfectly. I am thinking that other models with Idrive will work the same way. This is not my write but was found on E60.net but thought I would post here for others to use.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=17756&st=15
THANK YOU!

I just moved from an E34 to an E60. Had the brake pads done by my mechanic for the E34 and he didn't know how to clear the error. What should I charge him to learn how? Just kidding. I've already left him a phone message about the whole event.

Wow! It's great to have that resolved.
Jer

2004 525i Orient Blue metallic
1999 K1200LT Champagne
1985 R80RT Coloradorot - metallic (Red w/ gold pinstrip)
Old 01-13-2008, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 525I
I'm Having Trouble With Resetting The Brake Message

I Followed The Steps Post Above And Was Able To Reset The Oil Message, But I Am Having Trouble With The Brake Message! I Am Able To Reset It But It Just Jumps Back, It Goes To From -3000 To --------- And Then To -3000. Does Anyone Know What's Going On Or Can Anyone Give Me Some Help
Old 02-12-2008, 10:44 AM
BMW Lover

Mein Auto: 2008 Bmw X5
Will this work on the e70?

I just LOVE my X5.

My Garage- http://directory.bimmerfest.com/user...wUser&UId=4371
Old 06-17-2008, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
Can i reset airbags warning with this?
Old 06-26-2008, 04:11 AM
Crazy BMW Gal!

Mein Auto: BMW E90 M-Sports & E34
Quote:
Originally Posted by acmw View Post
Can i reset airbags warning with this?
I ahd this problem, and with airbags i was advise it has to be taken to the stealership for resetting. Cant go into a SERVICE menu to reset this light.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: 05 525d M Sport Touring
service reset

Please help. I have tried to use the above instructions but cannot get them to work. When I press the odometer button the yellow triangle appears but as soon as I release it and press again immediately as advised the clocc and outsude temp come back. What am I doing wrong?
Old 03-14-2009, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: 5 series
Reset worked great

This reset worked for me - thanks. Does anyone know if a dealer will be able to tell it was reset by anyone other than a dealer?
Old 01-06-2012, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dockev63 View Post
Please help. I have tried to use the above instructions but cannot get them to work. When I press the odometer button the yellow triangle appears but as soon as I release it and press again immediately as advised the clocc and outsude temp come back. What am I doing wrong?
Same thing happened to me until I realized that you have to set the car into "ignition ready" mode.

Without presssing the brake pedal, put the key fob in place and press the ignition button twice.. (You will hear the air flowing through the vents). Then you are ready to perform the instructions.

Last edited by Cyberpaisa; 01-06-2012 at 06:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-18-2009, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 530i
thanks

Thanks joea9146 your advice on resetting the idrive works. I have a 2006 530i The dealer gave me a hard time about resetting the idrive because the work was not done there. My mechanic, after working on the car, attempted to reset the idrive but had no luck. It took me approximately 30 minutes but it worked.

Thanks
gelliott
Old 09-19-2009, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 525i
Tried this after replacing my air cabin filters (microfilters) and it worked fine. The issue was it put a replacement timer of 100,000 miles and I wasn't able to find a way to reduce that interval. I know they're good filters, however 100,000 seems a bit much. Is this something the car defaults to or did I screw up a step somewhere?
Old 11-01-2009, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
All,

This is my first reply, but there are a couple of tweaks to the instructions above. I have a 2007 335i coupe with an idrive navigational system. I've placed ADD in front of the step:

Firstly with the ignition switched on, set the odometer trip meter back to zero by pushing it once. Then switch the ignition back off again. (I found this step was critical, otherwise I couldn't get to the "Service" menu).

1. Switch the ignition on (so that the battery, Oil and Parking brake lights are displayed) and the key is ready to start the engine - but don't actually start the car. (ADD - I needed to start the car to get this procedure to work.)

2. Press the odometer reset button for between 5 and 10 seconds until a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the centre appears in the top window between the clocks (where the outside temperature / time or date normally appears) - this is the "Service" icon.

3. Release the odometer button briefly and press again straight away which brings up a picture of the Brake Fluid symbol (same as the one that the i-drive shows when you look at the Service menu). - (ADD - I didn't have to release. The first icon that needed service popped up directly after the triangle a few seconds later while still holding in the odometer reset button.)

4. If you want to reset the Brake Fluid interval for another 2 years then keep holding the odometer button until the word "RESET?" appears at the bottom of the lower window. (ADD - In order to get the word RESET to show up, I needed to click the button on the high beam arm that allows you to see MPG, miles til empty, etc.) This brought up the RESET.

5. ADD - In order to reset, I needed to hold in the button on the high beam arm for 5 - 10 seconds. Release the button briefly and push it in again and hold for about 5 - 10 seconds until the new date appears in the bottom window. You can then switch the ignition off and the new Brake Fluid date will appear in the service menu on the i-drive screen next time you switch on.

6. If you want to reset the Oil, Microfilter or Brake Pad indicators then you will need to follow the same sequence as steps 1 and 2 above, but when you get to step 3 and the brake Fluid icon appears, just release the button and press again and the next service item will appear.

7. You can continue releasing and pressing the button until the required service item icon appears for the one you want to reset. As soon as it does then hold in the button in until the word "RESET?" appears again as in step 4 above. Once the word "RESET?" has appeared, you need to release the button briefly and hold it in again for about 5 - 10 seconds until it is replaced by the new service interval figure (as per step 5 above).
Old 12-01-2009, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 530i
Reset brake fluid service light

I try following the steps to reset the service light but I can not reset the odometer miles to zero, and I am nt getting the reset sign, any ideas?
Old 03-28-2010, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by frotonta View Post
All,

This is my first reply, but there are a couple of tweaks to the instructions above. I have a 2007 335i coupe with an idrive navigational system. I've placed ADD in front of the step:

1. Switch the ignition on (so that the battery, Oil and Parking brake lights are displayed) and the key is ready to start the engine - but don't actually start the car. (ADD - I needed to start the car to get this procedure to work.)

3. Release the odometer button briefly and press again straight away which brings up a picture of the Brake Fluid symbol (same as the one that the i-drive shows when you look at the Service menu). - (ADD - I didn't have to release. The first icon that needed service popped up directly after the triangle a few seconds later while still holding in the odometer reset button.)

4. If you want to reset the Brake Fluid interval for another 2 years then keep holding the odometer button until the word "RESET?" appears at the bottom of the lower window. (ADD - In order to get the word RESET to show up, I needed to click the button on the high beam arm that allows you to see MPG, miles til empty, etc.) This brought up the RESET.

5. ADD - In order to reset, I needed to hold in the button on the high beam arm for 5 - 10 seconds. Release the button briefly and push it in again and hold for about 5 - 10 seconds until the new date appears in the bottom window. You can then switch the ignition off and the new Brake Fluid date will appear in the service menu on the i-drive screen next time you switch on.

Many thanks to frotonta for these modifications. They are what it took to reset the Microfilter service indicator on my 2006 330i with an iDrive navigational system.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi coupe
2007 328xi coupe brake fluid service interval reset

I have a 2007 328xi coupe with an idrive navigational system. These are the steps I took to reset the brake fluid service interval:

1. Start the engine (without this it doesn't work) .
2. Press and hold the odometer reset button - after a while (lest than 5 sec in my case) a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the center appears in the top display window between the clocks (where the outside temperature / time or date normally appears) - this is the "Service" icon.
3. Keep pressing until the first icon that needs service (the brake-fluid in my case) shows a little bit later (again less than 5 secs).
4. Release the odometer reset button.
5. Press once the BC (computer) button located on the high beam lever/arm.
6. The word 'RESET' appears at the bottom of the lower display window (it doesn't matter what the window was displaying previously).
7. Press and hold the BC button again for a few secs (less than 5) to reset the brake-fluid service interval for another 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frotonta View Post
All,

Old 05-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Into the dark ages

Mein Auto: Mystery MACHINE
Old 05-27-2010, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Thanks guys

This is great info, something the mechanics that service BMW's don't want you to know because everything must be kept secret so they can keep nickle and diming us to death. : )
Old 10-26-2010, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: Volvo S70
Cool 2004 BMW545 Oil reset

Your instructions worked !!! Thanks.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: 334i
335i microfilter reset

Hi Forum!

I had the service issue with the microfilter as well, and was able to clear the 'red', however I still get the small orange triangle when I start the car instead of mileage remaining to service. I followed the updated steps as posted by frotonta, which got me as far as actually being able to clear the red, just need the one to eliminate the small orange triangle alert.

It's a 2007 335i without navigation if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for your help.
-marian
Old 02-01-2012, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 750I
This forum is the best. I have been listening to my brake check warning tome and red alarm icons for a few weeks now. My indy couldn't reset things, he even plugged in his dianostic computer. And by sheer chance I found this reference. You can acccept my loud THANKS and bless you for your lucid walk thru.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 530i
Reset in iDrive

This worked for me. THANKS! However i still get the DSC light since pad and sensor replacement. Anyone know how to reset? Turning wheel from left to right does not seem to help.

Dean
Old 03-13-2012, 01:03 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 525i e60
Thanks a lot. Was searching for this. Worked great. Thanks again.