Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 12-18-2006, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
DICE ipod kit, no sound??

I'm new to disassembling cars, but I'm stuck here.

I installed a DICE Ipod kit into my wife's 2004 X3. The radio now shows the tracks and the buttons control the ipod, but there is no sound. I then pulled out the radio and plugged in the white plug. Still no sound.

I spoke to Tom from EAS, who seemed sure that there was another white plug to be found behind the radio. When I couldn't find one, he suggested that I go to a BMW dealer.

None of the BMW dealers I spoke to would touch a third party product, so I went to a local car stereo shop. They couldn't find another white plug, and couldn't get sound.

I called DICE, who thought I needed a DSP kit. It has arrived, but I can't find anyplace to plug it in. I called DICE again, and the new guy doesn't think I need a DSP kit, but wants me to take a picture of my amplifier to be sure.

This is where I'm stuck. What/where is the amplifier?

When I open the back left panel in the trunk, I find a bunch of wires and a black box which has no visible wires pointing backwards. The box says DSP on it. Also, when I press the radio button that brings up the base/treble controls, I do get a DSP menu.

So, what do I do now?

Here are some pictures:

Advertisement
Old 12-21-2006, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Those cables in your hand are the pre-wiring for the optional Sirius unit. Try plugging the DICE into the flat 3-way connector and the 6-way connector there. That should get things working. If not, then something else is wrong. And yes, there should be two 6-way connectors in the center console and two behind the radio.

- RODNEY

Old 12-21-2006, 07:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si, 2008 335i
Did you order the kit for a car equipped with DSP?
Old 12-21-2006, 11:38 AM

I have the DICE unit plugged into the flat 3-way and the 6-way connectors pictured above. The radio shows the ipod track name and the buttons change tracks, but there is no sound.

As for DSP, I have a DICE DSP module, but I don't see any connectors that will work. Maybe there are some more wires that come off of the front of that black box I have pictured, but I don't know how to get that large panel off in order to look (and if they aren't going to be there, I'd rather not disassemble anything else).

Thanks for your responses, hopefully you can help me get to the bottom of this.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: MY13 X5 3.5i Prem.
For those of us with 2007's (I don't know if this applies to 04's but it's worth a shot) we had to switch a connector in the back of the head unit itself. I had to plug in the CD-SARS white connector in place of the white connector that was already plugged in.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:06 PM

Yup. I had to plug in the CD-SARS white connector. However, there wasn't one already connected, and I can't find a second one to try.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: '07 X3 3.0si
i read this and fell short of trying out out myself. that is, until i called tom @ eas and he walked me through it. awesome support!

i woulda taken photos of my radio and dash out but i was too excited to get things working and i had my hands full already.

for those of you not inclined to take things apart: its very easy. plus, theres a screwdriver/flathead in your rear tool kit. if you didnt know you had a read too kit, well then, now youve got that too look forward to also!
Old 01-02-2007, 01:06 AM
european auto source

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffer View Post
i read this and fell short of trying out out myself. that is, until i called tom @ eas and he walked me through it. awesome support!

i woulda taken photos of my radio and dash out but i was too excited to get things working and i had my hands full already.

for those of you not inclined to take things apart: its very easy. plus, theres a screwdriver/flathead in your rear tool kit. if you didnt know you had a read too kit, well then, now youve got that too look forward to also!
Glad you're back on the road.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Old 01-04-2007, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i
posnera, I had the same exact problem - I never was able to figure it out. I finally gave up and sold my ICELINK.
Premium Pkg
Sport Pkg
Premium Sound
Servotronic
Xenon
Sirius
Old 01-04-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davistroy View Post
posnera, I had the same exact problem - I never was able to figure it out. I finally gave up and sold my ICELINK.

I'm up to taking this to a BMW dealer and begging them to take a look, even though it is a non-BMW part. If not, I'm returning it as well. I'll probably have to settle for the BMW ipod adapter, which I really don't like. Disappointing.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:50 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by posnera View Post
Yup. I had to plug in the CD-SARS white connector. However, there wasn't one already connected, and I can't find a second one to try.
Is your X3 equipped with DSP?

Old 01-04-2007, 12:29 PM

I don't know. It was bought used. I think it does, but I can't find any coax connectors.

When I scroll through the stereo functions (tone/balance, etc) I do get a DSP settings option.

After initialy speaking with you, we had decided that I didn't have DSP. I then spoke to DICE directly, and they thought I did, so I ordered a DSP kit from them. Now I've got $250 worth of parts that don't work. I'm really at a loss here.

Where in the car (exactly) would I find the DSP connectors? I've removed the left rear panel and the results are in the pictures at the top of this thread. I can't get the front left panel off to look at the front of the black box pictured above, but I reached around and didn't feel any loose wires. Is it possible that a part was removed before the car was sold to me?
Old 01-04-2007, 12:59 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by posnera View Post
I don't know. It was bought used. I think it does, but I can't find any coax connectors.

When I scroll through the stereo functions (tone/balance, etc) I do get a DSP settings option.

After initialy speaking with you, we had decided that I didn't have DSP. I then spoke to DICE directly, and they thought I did, so I ordered a DSP kit from them. Now I've got $250 worth of parts that don't work. I'm really at a loss here.

Where in the car (exactly) would I find the DSP connectors? I've removed the left rear panel and the results are in the pictures at the top of this thread. I can't get the front left panel off to look at the front of the black box pictured above, but I reached around and didn't feel any loose wires. Is it possible that a part was removed before the car was sold to me?
This depends on if the vehicle is prewired for Sirius or not (SA-693), if so - an additional converter (DSP converter) is not needed. Also, it could be that oyu are not finding the 12-pin connector behind the radio like stated in whiffer's post.

There's a couple of possibilities - we jsut need to get the correct info on your end.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0
This sounds a little bit like my problem. Except mines plugged into the center console with the 3 & 6 pin connector. I'm getting text, but no sound.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=182582

Although I did call the dealer (who ran my VIN) and confirmed that I do NOT have the SA-693 but I do have DSP stereo.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:48 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by chameleon02 View Post
This sounds a little bit like my problem. Except mines plugged into the center console with the 3 & 6 pin connector. I'm getting text, but no sound.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=182582

Although I did call the dealer (who ran my VIN) and confirmed that I do NOT have the SA-693 but I do have DSP stereo.
If this is the case, you are missing your DSP cable and will require the DSP converter as well, I've only seen this happen one time in the past.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0
Tom, do you guys carry the dsp converter & cable? And would this plug directly into the rear of my stereo?
Old 01-09-2007, 02:58 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by chameleon02 View Post
Tom, do you guys carry the dsp converter & cable? And would this plug directly into the rear of my stereo?
The DSP converter plugs directly to the amp in the trunk. We have them available on the site:

DSP Kit for DICE iPod Integration Kits
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=230

Old 03-09-2007, 12:41 PM

I think I'm in the same boat. No audio here..

I have tried every combination possible and still no audio. Rear cargo wires, center console wires, CDSARS wires behind radio and still no sound. I sent Tom a picture of my amp and all wires and we figured that I did not have DSP. He made the suggestion of plugging in that CD-SARS wire and nothing. Even if I did, there is no place for the DSP box to plug into anyway. There's nothing that comes even close to a coax wire back there. The text and steering wheel controls work fine, but does anyone have any suggestions? I feel like I am better off sticking with the MP3 CDs and just skipping this thing altogether.

For what it's worth...
I have bluetooth installed, I'm pre-wired for Sirius and do not have DSP.

TIA
Old 03-09-2007, 12:49 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm1976 View Post
I have tried every combination possible and still no audio. Rear cargo wires, center console wires, CDSARS wires behind radio and still no sound. I sent Tom a picture of my amp and all wires and we figured that I did not have DSP. He made the suggestion of plugging in that CD-SARS wire and nothing. Even if I did, there is no place for the DSP box to plug into anyway. There's nothing that comes even close to a coax wire back there. The text and steering wheel controls work fine, but does anyone have any suggestions? I feel like I am better off sticking with the MP3 CDs and just skipping this thing altogether.

For what it's worth...
I have bluetooth installed, I'm pre-wired for Sirius and do not have DSP.

TIA
More than likely the incorrect 12-pin audio connector is plugged in the rear of the radio. Remove the radio, swap the connectors and you should have audio:

Here's a diagram to explain what I'm referring to, hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:03 PM

Already tried that..

Tom,

That was the first thing I tried this morning after your email last night. I've heard that sometimes the X3 comes with the adapter plugged in for the OEM Ipod adapter and it will cause this issue. Do you think this is it?? If so, where can I find that plug?
Old 03-09-2007, 02:15 PM

Here it is...
Old 03-09-2007, 02:21 PM

I'm not sure if it was pre-installed, but maybe what I read was that it was plugged in the back of the head unit. Meaning the wires were already run to where the OEM Ipod unit is located. Obviously with no unit there. This person said that he had to unplug this from the back of the head unit before it would play the audio from the DICE. I'm not really sure about any of this, just an idea...
Old 03-09-2007, 03:15 PM
european auto source

Where do you have the DICE plugged into - underneath the center console or in the rear cargo area? Is Sirius installed in the vehicle?

Old 03-09-2007, 03:39 PM

I had it in both spots...

I installed it in btoh the reatr cargo area and the center console. My car is Pre-Wired for Sirius, but it's not installed. I think I sent you a picture of these wires (rear cargo) in a previous email...Let me know if you want it again, but it's just the antenna, 12pin, 6 pin and 3 pin adapters wrapped up..
Old 03-09-2007, 03:53 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm1976 View Post
I installed it in btoh the reatr cargo area and the center console. My car is Pre-Wired for Sirius, but it's not installed. I think I sent you a picture of these wires (rear cargo) in a previous email...Let me know if you want it again, but it's just the antenna, 12pin, 6 pin and 3 pin adapters wrapped up..
Let's troubleshoot by plugging the DICE into the 3/6-pin connectors in the cargo area, then switch the 12-pin connector on the radio if no sound is heard. If there is no change - the module may be defective.