Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
Z4 M Coupe mods, the ongoing tale...

In November 2006 I took delivery of the 2007 Z4 M Coupe now named "Scatha". She is named after the warrior maiden who taught the fabled Irish hero Cuchulain. Scatha was also a dragon of the Third Age in Tolkien mythology, which is in keeping with our habit of naming our BMWs after dragons: Tiamat (M5), Ancalagon (540iT), Scatha (Z4 MC). You can see the first pics of the Coupe in my first thread HERE

In the other thread I listed the first few mods, but I now realize that it would be more appropriate to start a new thread to serve as an ongoing chronicle of Scatha's trials and tribulations. Speaking of which, my buds at BMS and I have some serious plans for performance mods, some of which may become products suitable for other Z4 M owners.

My goal with Scatha is to better the already stellar performance of a great sports car without sacrificing reliability or comfort. While it is close to perfect, there are some features the Z4 M Coupe did not come with that I would like. There are also performance increases that for cost reasons are not suitable for mass consumption. The Coupe mods will be kept in the vein of BMW's original design; a comfortable, semi-luxurious sports car equally at home on the track or commuting.

As Scatha is modded I will update this thread (so bookmark/add subscription) with pics and descriptions of the mods. I am also continuously updating an Excel spreadsheet that tracks her weight, parts cost, hours invested, suppliers and part numbers. I will post that later on once there are a sufficient number of mods.

On with the show...

Mod 01
11-13-06
I swapped the dealer plate for one from a shop that understands customer support!

Mod 02
11-15-06
I changed out the plain silver OEM valve stem caps to OEM "M" caps.
Note: Thanks to Ron Stygar I was alerted that 2007 M Coupes MUST use the plastic caps instead of the brass-core ones. Part number for the plastic ones: 36 11 0 421 543

Mod 03
11-16-06
I added a calculator to the inside of the waterfall storage compartment door. I keep a fuel log, so having a calculator in the car is quite handy.

Mod 04
11-18-06
BMS hardwired my Valentine 1. If you don't already have one, go to www.valentineone.com now!

Mod 05
11-21-06, revised 1-19-07
iPod integration. My relatively frugal setup uses a Monster car charger with a 3mm/3mm cord mounted to a ProClip mount and holder. It outputs to the factory-installed 2007 Aux input. Pictured is the most updated setup, I plan to have the power hardwired and the wires shortened.

Mod 06
12-22-06
I added a www.bmsracecars.com sticker to the Coupe's rear glass. They work on all my BMWs, so all of my BMWs have the sticker as a way to say thanks.

Mod 07
1-19-07
BMS installed my Zeckhausen CDV today (http://www.zeckhausen.com/CDV.htm). I was surprised to feel that the difference is actually noticeable. The clutch travel is more linear and you can "feel" the clutch engage more precisely. I highly recommend this mod, which only costs about $40 shipped (+ labor, or DIY)! Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of this one, but you can see pics on Dave Z's website.

Mod 08
1-22-07
I added a 4" micro antenna. I think it looks a little better than the stock piece and will cut down on wind resistance

Mod 09
1-23-07
I installed (with a little help from BMS) the OEM nav tv retrofit kit. The instructions say it should take about 3 hours. This is accurate, IF you've done it before. I also took some extra time removing interior pieces from the trunk out of curiosity. There were some oddities during installation: The tv unit bracket already existed in my car, and the replacement carpet pad is not remotely close to fitting the Coupe. I suspect it was designed for the Roaster, as my stock piece still fits mine after installation. More irritatingly, there is no ideal place to tie down the antenna wires to the rear bumper. I tied them to the license plate light clips and I think that will be ok. Also, the two studs to which the antenna tips should mount didn't exist on my car! So I found two other studs used by another antenna (AM?) behind the bumper foam and mounted them there. The reception is as good as the same kit in our two E39s, so I guess it worked! I also got the TvFree cable so the system doesn't shut off over 3mph. Later will come a DVD player and remote IR eye.

The trunk, stripped:

Now with the bumper and battery removed:

All the panels that I pulled out:

It is necessary to remove the waterfall trim in order to pop out the DVD player to connect the new wires. This isn't actually difficult to do, but very tricky to figure out how it's held in when you are sans ETK:

The new tv module, now located next to the Premium Package amp:

It works! I know, the traffic report isn't very exiting. FYI: The picture quality is MUCH better when stationary or with a DVD playing through the systems Aux input.

Mod 10
1-24-07
I noticed a few weeks ago that the roundels and M badges on the sides of my Coupe were not installed correctly by the factory. Their horizontal lines, on BOTH sides did not line up. Figuring that I had to remove them to fix the problem I might as well see what the car looks like without the M badges. To my surprise I think it looks much better - cleaner. I AM leaving the trunk M badge on, and I plan to add another badge back there later on...

Residue from the logo. This rubs off fairly easily:

A poor quality indoor shot of the Coupe without the badges. Look for better pictures in future posts:

When I parked her at BMS to work on the NavTv project we decided that now was as good a time as any to see about replacing the huge OEM battery with a smaller race battery that would free up a lot of trunk space. This mod is not yet finished, but here is a pic of the cardboard template they are going to use to create a prototype billet aluminum battery tray:

I will also be relocating the M Mobility Kit and BMW Tool Kit. Here is a pic of the air compressor and an old MkIII nav DVD player where I plan to install a Microvision DVD player:

I will also have to fab up a trunk lining system to cover the new contours. I don't know how to do that, but I look forward to figuring it out. Btw, the new battery setup isn't by any means finished yet, but the battery weight difference is 34lbs! That's quite a weight savings, and it should free up about 2cu' of trunk space too I'll post more as these mods develop.

And speaking of weight, we weighed it last week on the BMS's scales. This was pretty much bone stock, with all my "stuff" out of the car, and 7/8 of a tank of fuel. She weighed in at 3277lbs - pretty much right on for the expected curb weight (full fluids/fuel) of 3303lbs. Front weight was 1649lbs (50.3%), rear weight was 1628lbs (49.7%). These percentages flipped when I was in the car, and of course would change as fuel burns off. To-date I have added 17.33lbs (net) to the car, but that doesn't count the unfinished battery relocation mod. That would bring the car's curb weight down from 3303lbs to 3289lbs. We have some plans to cut that number down a bit more too

Monday I'll be taking her to StopTech's headquarters to be used as a measurement/fitting mule. StopTech has not yet confirmed that they will in fact produce brakes for the Z4 M Coupe, but I think it's likely. Stay tuned for more...
Old 01-24-2007, 10:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 330CI
looks good bro.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:39 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Mods

Nice to see some interesting mods.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe
Subscribed....
Nice work, look forward to updates on the project.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: Mcoupe on order
Question question on aluminum trim

I am getting a new Z4M coupe this spring. I like the aluminum trim and noted that your car has it. Have you noticed any downside to it, specifically, annoying glare? Does it get broiling hot to the touch when the car is parked in the sun? Would you order it again or try the "carbon leather" Thanks in advance for your answers, your car is terrific and your posts are inspiring me to make some mods on my car as soon as possible, epscially the CDV.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe
Love the garage! Congrats also on all the work you have done yourself.

I have to say though - keeping a calculator for fuel consumption tracking? I'm sure you're married, I'm just envisioning though picking up a date, and then at the end of the night making her wait while I calculate my MPG's, lol!
Old 01-25-2007, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
And speaking of weight, we weighed it last week on the BMS's scales. This was pretty much bone stock, with all my "stuff" out of the car, and 7/8 of a tank of fuel. She weighed in at 3277lbs - pretty much right on for the expected curb weight (full fluids/fuel) of 3303lbs. Front weight was 1649lbs (50.3%), rear weight was 1628lbs (49.7%). These percentages flipped when I was in the car, and of course would change as fuel burns off. To-date I have added 17.33lbs (net) to the car, but that doesn't count the unfinished battery relocation mod. That would bring the car's curb weight down from 3303lbs to 3289lbs. We have some plans to cut that number down a bit more too ...

Stay tuned for more...

I luv America's fascination with weight loss!
& no where is the benefit more acute than in cars!

Can't wait to see the modify battery area!
Old 01-25-2007, 09:34 AM
an audience of One

Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Hey dude, I know where you're going with the mods and can't wait to see the progression. The smaller battery and the debadging are cool, but IMHO the iPod and V1 kinda clutter the cabin.

Will the stock rims clear the ST BBK, or are you gonna swap them out for something else? BBS LM's, man!

Why are plastic valve stem caps a must? Something to do with the tire pressure monitoring, I assume?
Old 01-25-2007, 11:16 AM
oOO (|||) (|||) OOo

Mein Auto: 1991 318is, 1998 528i
Nice ride...I'll definitely stay tuned.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: A car
I notice you have the oval rearview mirror - do you have assist?
Old 01-25-2007, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: E39 M5, E36 M3. E86 Z4 MC
Nice job Earl...I'm finally putting some KM (up to 420 total) on mine so we'll compare notes when I get back to SoCal!
Old 01-25-2007, 10:14 PM
They call 'em rigs here

Mein Auto: '09 E92.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markseven View Post
Why are plastic valve stem caps a must? Something to do with the tire pressure monitoring, I assume?
Valve stems are aluminum. Brass and aluminum will eventually weld together due to corrosion.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:55 PM
an audience of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
Valve stems are aluminum. Brass and aluminum will eventually weld together due to corrosion.
Yikes! No bueno.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadc4s View Post
I am getting a new Z4M coupe this spring. I like the aluminum trim and noted that your car has it. Have you noticed any downside to it, specifically, annoying glare? Does it get broiling hot to the touch when the car is parked in the sun? Would you order it again or try the "carbon leather" Thanks in advance for your answers, your car is terrific and your posts are inspiring me to make some mods on my car as soon as possible, epscially the CDV.
I've had no problems with glare or heat, from the aluminum trim or anything else. I did drop my V1 on the trim (on day 1 ) and it left a small black mark that I need to fill. I didn't really care for the CF cloth thing. Aluminum suited my color scheme for the car best. Funny thing, but even when parked in direct sun, I have still to find the interior hot. Maybe it's the Ti Silver paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyD View Post
Love the garage! Congrats also on all the work you have done yourself.

I have to say though - keeping a calculator for fuel consumption tracking? I'm sure you're married, I'm just envisioning though picking up a date, and then at the end of the night making her wait while I calculate my MPG's, lol!
-Yep, married. Of course I married the one who once complimented me for always picking her up with a full tank of gas in my truck. She said that she liked that I was "prepared".

Quote:
Originally Posted by caylan View Post
I luv America's fascination with weight loss!
& no where is the benefit more acute than in cars!

Can't wait to see the modify battery area!
-America is the fattest country in the world (per capita), we've got to start losing weight somewhere!

Quote:
Hey dude, I know where you're going with the mods and can't wait to see the progression. The smaller battery and the debadging are cool, but IMHO the iPod and V1 kinda clutter the cabin.

Will the stock rims clear the ST BBK, or are you gonna swap them out for something else? BBS LM's, man!

-The iPod mount will look a lot better after the wires get cleaned up. Functionally, there's not really any alternative to it until someone makes a GUI that lets me have full iPod control through the MkIV computer. The only option for the V1 would be to disassemble it and mount the sensors remotely and have the system report back through the dash. That's possible, but I have bigger fish to fry at the moment.

I'm sure Stoptech will make a BBK for 18" wheels, what I'm not sure of (yet) is if they are going to build a 4-wheel set with a rear rotor as small and lightweight as the Performance Friction setup TC Kline has on his Carbon Coupe.

As for wheels, stay tuned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast shadow View Post
I notice you have the oval rearview mirror - do you have assist?
-Yep. It came with the premium package, which I got because I needed the memory driver's seat (my wife and I both drive the car) and I wanted cruise control for the long trips to/from track events and meets. I still haven't bothered to activate BMW Assist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKH View Post
Nice job Earl...I'm finally putting some KM (up to 420 total) on mine so we'll compare notes when I get back to SoCal!
-Hopefully we'll see each other's Coupes at an upcoming meet!
Old 01-26-2007, 04:42 PM
an audience of One

Quote:
-The iPod mount will look a lot better after the wires get cleaned up. Functionally, there's not really any alternative to it until someone makes a GUI that lets me have full iPod control through the MkIV computer. The only option for the V1 would be to disassemble it and mount the sensors remotely and have the system report back through the dash. That's possible, but I have bigger fish to fry at the moment.
Or you could just do without those two gadgets For a car like that, I would only add perfomance mods My $.02
Old 01-26-2007, 04:49 PM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Or you could just do without those two gadgets For a car like that, I would only add perfomance mods My $.02
A V1 is a performance mod
Old 01-26-2007, 05:20 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
-Ok, you go ahead and drive fast without a V1

As for the iPod, I just really don't want to be without interesting music and such on long solo drives to/from track events. I get bored and bored drivers are not safe drivers.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 M Coupe, 2007 Forest
Quote:

As for the iPod, I just really don't want to be without interesting music and such on long solo drives to/from track events. I get bored and bored drivers are not safe drivers.
Gotta have that great driving music! Also the Valentine ads do not lie-once you live with the arrows you can never go back. Great, imaginative mods. Hope everything goes well so you can show us what BMW should have done from the factory!
Old 01-27-2007, 10:35 AM
qk

Mein Auto: 6
im about to go buy a v-1.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:51 AM
an audience of One

Quote:
I do , and I have a clean record Maybe the V1 instills a false sense of security, seeing as how you recently got a speeding ticket and all...
Old 01-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
I do , and I have a clean record Maybe the V1 instills a false sense of security, seeing as how you recently got a speeding ticket and all...
-No, I get fewer tickets since I got the V1. And that's saying something because I never had a fast car before getting the M5 and V1 at roughly the same time.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:10 AM
Lap Dog

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 M Coupe, '01 325i
A TV in an M Coupe sports car This is like installing coilovers in a minivan

'01 325i: Orient Blue/black, SP, M stress bar, UUC sways, TMS camber plates, TMS rear sub reinf kit, CAI, Shark, Borla, Dunlop Direzza 245/40/17 on 17x8 O.Z. Superleggeras

HPDE instructor, Boston Chapter Autocross Co-chair, Boston Bimmer columnist www.boston-bmwcca.org/bimmer/online.aspx

My performance driving site: www.OneHotLap.com
Old 01-28-2007, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: 99 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by brave1heart View Post
This is like installing coilovers in a minivan
Isn't there a rumored BMW minivan? I'm sure someone will put coilovers in that one.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brave1heart View Post
A TV in an M Coupe sports car This is like installing coilovers in a minivan
-Do a search on m5board.com for "11,000 mile road trip". You might change your mind.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:44 PM
an audience of One

Quote:
-No, I get fewer tickets since I got the V1. And that's saying something because I never had a fast car before getting the M5 and V1 at roughly the same time.
I'm pulling your chain, mang. I'm a sedate driver, so I don't need a detector.