Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 06-20-2007, 09:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Cooling system overhaul tips and tricks (E39)

COOLING System Overhaul Info for V8 folks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last year I wrote the Cooling Overhaul Tips for Inline 6-cylinder engine (1998 528i):

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/199986

For V8 engine, it is very similar in concept in belts layout, see this diagram that I just prepared for you folks with V8 engine. When combined above link and this picture, V8 folks should be able to do cooling overhaul themselves

cn90
98 528i 5sp 95K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E39-V8.jpg
Views:	25356
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	112414  
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2007, 05:02 PM
Moderator, 5-Series

Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
Good stuff. I have 73k on my 2001 530i and am preparing a trip to the American Southwest (can ya say, HOT?!) at the end of July. Just had a pressure check done to the whole system and nary a leak to be found but everything is still original.

My BMW mechanic told me the expansion tanks are the ones to explode on a whim on the I6s whereas the radiator main upper necks go on the V8s.

A buddy and I replaced the belts (also original) without removing the fan. It goes fast with two guys but one guy, it is probably easier to remove the fan/shroud.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:21 PM
The Usual Suspect

Mein Auto: 98 E39 540i - 09 E90 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
COOLING System Overhaul Info for V8 folks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last year I wrote the Cooling Overhaul Tips for Inline 6-cylinder engine (1998 528i):

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/199986

For V8 engine, it is very similar in concept in belts layout, see this diagram that I just prepared for you folks with V8 engine. When combined above link and this picture, V8 folks should be able to do cooling overhaul themselves

cn90
98 528i 5sp 95K
Nice write up cn"n"90.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 97 540i
I am doing the fan clutch on my E39 this weekend. Just to be clear the fan clutch is the # 2 picture in this diagram they call a FAN COUPLING, right? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...34&hg=11&fg=35

Also my fan looks to be in good to perfect condition at 63K should I be replacing it as well or anything else?

/Everything in the cooling looks fine.
//Just replacing the fan clutch as a precautionary measure.

Last edited by Consciousone; 01-11-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Smile

CN90 Great info replaced the water pump yesterday, was a great help. Thanks
Old 06-01-2008, 11:54 PM

Mein Auto: E39
The guide has been a great help in getting my hoses, fan clutch, and waterpump upgraded.

However, I am at unable to get the water pump out due to a metal pipe that extends from the right of the block all the way across to the left of the block and right in front of the waterpump. I was able to get the thermostat housing out, but I can't find any way to get the waterpump out, even with the air intake parts removed and after trying for 2 hours; theres just not enough space with the metal pipe in the way. I haven't been able to find any reference to this pipe anywhere. Any ideas?

Edit: For anyone else with this problem, I guess the metal pipe needs to be removed. From this diagram (#11), it can be removed as it seems to be just an air line:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...85&hg=11&fg=50

Last edited by safoo; 06-02-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 540iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by safoo View Post
The guide has been a great help in getting my hoses, fan clutch, and waterpump upgraded.

However, I am at unable to get the water pump out due to a metal pipe that extends from the right of the block all the way across to the left of the block and right in front of the waterpump. I was able to get the thermostat housing out, but I can't find any way to get the waterpump out, even with the air intake parts removed and after trying for 2 hours; theres just not enough space with the metal pipe in the way. I haven't been able to find any reference to this pipe anywhere. Any ideas?

Edit: For anyone else with this problem, I guess the metal pipe needs to be removed. From this diagram (#11), it can be removed as it seems to be just an air line:

Yes, that bar has to come out. Held in place (it I recall correctly) by two screws/bolts on each side. There is an o-ring on each tip of that bar - make sure you don't damage/break it.

Will

'00 540iA (mine)
'05 330iA (hers)
Old 06-26-2008, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: 00-540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm3coupe View Post
Yes, that bar has to come out. Held in place (it I recall correctly) by two screws/bolts on each side. There is an o-ring on each tip of that bar - make sure you don't damage/break it.

Will
thanks Will. I think it is quite different for 540i from other e39 for W/P.

-John
Old 11-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Leakin coolant since 06

Send a message via AIM to Leak540Coolant
Mein Auto: 540i 6spd sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by safoo View Post

It just comes right off, least thats how I remember when I changed mine.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
UPDATE:
1. Stay away from MTC Fan Blade, it cracked after one year. Use only Dealer Fan Blade.

2. The WP Pulley is made from hardened plastic (it is not metal) and should be changed around 140-160K to prevent cracking and left starnded.

3. During re-install, it is a pain to start the first few threads of the Fan Clutch. Here is my trick using the cord:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?t=240143&
Old 06-27-2008, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: E39
4. Water pump pulley bolts are low torque. Use some locktite and hand tighten.

5. Sensor in lower hose tends to leak from oring if you install it on a new hose. If it has been a few years, save yourself the trouble and just buy a whole new sensor with oring, as the oring is not sold separately. It's $39 at the dealer or $22-$25 online.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:44 PM

All dealers in Boston ares charge $45.99 for the low hose with sensor.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
UPDATE:
1. Stay away from MTC Fan Blade, it cracked after one year. Use only Dealer Fan Blade.

2. The WP Pulley is made from hardened plastic (it is not metal) and should be changed around 140-160K to prevent cracking and left starnded.

3. During re-install, it is a pain to start the first few threads of the Fan Clutch. Here is my trick using the cord:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?t=240143&
that is cute way to get it on but with new W/P thread, I just hand put clutch on and turn the fan counter_clock wise few times then, start the car. It is tighten by itself. I did mess up old W/P thread by using 32mm wrench, learn the hard lesson.

-John
Old 06-28-2008, 02:51 AM

Mein Auto: BMW535I E39
my 535i v8 was mysteriously leaking water. the first pressure test could not found the leak. then went to another mechincal to do the test still could not find where wasleaking . as it leaks about 1/5 amount of coolent of the expension tank. then send the car for test when it iwas hot. and found out there was a tiny leak from the water pump. the car has done 150,000km ( about 90,000 miles). ge tthe pump replaced. no more problem.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: 00 528i
today, my two serpentine belts, expansion tank clip and my fan clutch arrived. i am waiting for my water pump to arrive on tuesday. i will be a grease monkey next weekend.

some of the DIY write ups in here are so billiant that repair manuals are now absolete.

you guys rock!!! thank you!!!
Old 08-23-2008, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 540i
Red face 2002 540i Water Pump replacement

I totally agree, I just changed my Water Pump, hoses and belts on my 2002 540i, and although nothing adressed my specific year/model, the links on this forum (and some others as well) were an incredible help in preparing for the work in advance of the parts arriving (big thanks to cn90 for the groundwork and writeups!) The ideas really translated for me, also Mike for key tips! Basically did a $700 dealer job for $160 in parts! Bled the air a few times and 2 days later, drove the car from Florida to New York without a drip, the needle didnt budge (of course I was running the computer test program #7 for an exact temperature readout...110 degrees celsius the whole 1000 miles! If anyone needs any tips on the procedure feel free to post and I will respond[ (PS went with the Graf metal impeller)

Last edited by abbondanza23; 08-23-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbondanza23 View Post
I totally agree, I just changed my Water Pump, hoses and belts on my 2002 540i, and although nothing adressed my specific year/model, the links on this forum (and some others as well) were an incredible help in preparing for the work in advance of the parts arriving (big thanks to cn90 for the groundwork and writeups!) The ideas really translated for me, also Mike for key tips! Basically did a $700 dealer job for $160 in parts! Bled the air a few times and 2 days later, drove the car from Florida to New York without a drip, the needle didnt budge (of course I was running the computer test program #7 for an exact temperature readout...110 degrees celsius the whole 1000 miles! If anyone needs any tips on the procedure feel free to post and I will respond[ (PS went with the Graf metal impeller)
Does any one have detailed instruction (possibly with pictures) to remove the water pump from V8 540i? I have removed most of the "stuff" (belts, fan, shroud, etc) and just need more details on removing and installing new water pump. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:21 PM
Leakin coolant since 06

Send a message via AIM to Leak540Coolant
Mein Auto: 540i 6spd sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jzgte View Post
today, my two serpentine belts, expansion tank clip and my fan clutch arrived. i am waiting for my water pump to arrive on tuesday. i will be a grease monkey next weekend.

some of the DIY write ups in here are so billiant that repair manuals are now absolete.

you guys rock!!! thank you!!!

Its pretty easy. Getting the fan clutch off for me was the hard part, it took me about 4 hours of screaming. My belt had shreded when my water pump seized so I couldnt hold the pully in place with a piece of wood wedged into the serpentine shafts.

That is byfar the only tough part. The rest is like playing with legos.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:24 AM
infieldg

Mein Auto: '99 540i
I just pulled my fan off tonight after ages removing the shredded belt wrapped around both crank pulley and the infamous 32mm nut.

Anyway this is kinda embarrassing to admit because I'm not a butcher by trade but surprising enough that I have to share it - I managed to undo the 32mm nut using the slip-joint pliers in the factory tool kit (I know, I know... but around the right way and adjusted right they fit fantastically with heaps of leverage, no damage at all) while wedging the remains of the old serpentine belt between crank and waterpump pullies with the grooves engaged on both using a flat bladed screwdriver up the middle and a bit of shoving to lock it up.

In hindsight the belt trick probably only works if your water pump is so devestated that side-loading locks it but you never know it may work for someone else so maybe give it a go if everything else has failed.

Talk about lucky, I'd just returned from a 720km weekend away, drove to the supermarket for food, parked the car, and the steering went heavy as the belt finally got tossed off just as I was about to turn the engine off

Thanks for all the info guys, great forum!

Geoff.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: '98 528i AT - 252k miles
How to tell if you have Mechanical or Hydraulic Tensioners
I found out an easy way to tell if your car has mechanical or hydraulic tensioners. My car has mechanical tensioners/rollers and they have Torx T47 heads on the rollers, as opposed to the hydraulic versions that have allen heads on them. Unfortunately, with the mechanical tensioners, you can't replace JUST the roller, like you can with the hydro versions.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Dominican Salsero

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
How do you keep the water pump from turning when you are turning the 32mm nut?
Old 02-17-2009, 12:46 PM
infieldg

Mein Auto: '99 540i
Hi, I turned the serpentine belt inside-out and forced it between the crank pulley and the waterpump pulley with the grooves properly engaged on both pullies, pushing very hard on a very large flat bladed screwdriver between them from the power steering reservoir side (passenger side on my RHD car here in New Zealand) to lock the two pullies together while tugging on the crude tool to shock the nut into moving.

BUT it may be that it only worked for me because my shattered pump (with at least six roller bearings completely spat out!) tended to lock up with side-loading.

The nut wasn't very tight though, so the belt trick MAY work on a healthy one... can't hurt to try I guess

All the best!!
Geoff.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i
Radiator air bleed?

Reading all this I can see I am going to need to do a complete cooling overhaul.

I have a 2000 540i

I had a lead from the bottom of the expansion tank and a low level coolant message. I change the tank and sensor on the bottom. The tank has lots of broken parts inside and the sensor was melted and leaking.

All seemed well with the test drive but then after only 1.5 miles yesterday the temp needle pegs. I turn around and the needle returns to 12oclock and slowly creeps up. When I stop the engine is still relatively cool.

I am not sure I bled air properly. Could this be causing the issue? It did not seem like I replaced enough radiator fluid.

Thanks,
Mitch
Old 02-24-2009, 05:11 AM

Mein Auto: E39 530 Sport
I have to change the radiator on my year 2000 e39 530i sport, its an Automatic. Does anyone know if I HAVE to undo the transmission fluid cooler hoses from the transmission oil cooler to give more access to remove the radiator, or can I just remove the radiator leaving all the transmission pipes etc alone????

Thanks

Jez
Old 03-09-2009, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: E60 '08 535xi, E83 '07 X3
rad failure at 71.5k mi - '01 540i

Looks like I'll be joining the club. My '01 540i with 71,500mi has been giving me an occasional low-coolant warnings for a few weeks now. Every time I checked the level in the expansion tank, the indicator has been bobbing up - so I figured the sensor was bad. When I looked at it closer this weekend, I noticed a small hairline fracture near the radiator upper hose neck. It's been slowly leaking out fluid! So my theory now is that I'm probably borderline low on coolant, as the warning message only goes off once after 1 min of driving, and then goes off, as the coolant volume increases.

I'm ordering parts soon, and going to replace the rad, expansion tank, and all the hoses. I'm probably gonna wait with the water pump and the belts, and replace them at next years coolant change.

--Rob

'01 540i
'07 X3
BMWCCA #135536